Does this IR device EXIST? IR signal translator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I want a device that can take an IR output signal, and CHANGE it into a different IR output signal. Basically, I want to translate the IR code coming out of my Sony TV remote when I press Input, and have a repeater translate it to the Input change IR signal for my Sony AV receiver... either via learning or just code input. Does such a device exist? A universal remote won't help, I actually need a device that will morph/translate the IR signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Liked: 10
It might help to give more information as to what you are trying to do and why, I'm not sure by your description. On learning remotes ( your Sony may not be learning), you can reprogram buttons for specific commands.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschissler View Post

It might help to give more information as to what you are trying to do and why, I'm not sure by your description. On learning remotes ( your Sony may not be learning), you can reprogram buttons for specific commands.

Ok, here is the background:

I have a new Wii U game console that has a programmable IR blaster built in. But it only has IR codes for cable boxes and for TVs, and is not "learning". All functions work great on my cable box and TV, but the problem is that all my HDMI inputs go through my receiver. The receiver can understand volume up/down because the TV can pass along this information to the receiver over HDMI-CEC-Bravia Sync whatever. But as I confirmed with Sony, it can't pass along the Input button signal in this way. The TV will not tell my receiver that Input button code from TV remote (or in this case Wii U IR blaster) means it should change receiver Input, not TV Input.

So, I was looking for a device that would take the Sony TV Input IR signal and convert it to the Sony Receiver Input IR signal midstream, so I can just use the Wii U pad to control Input and not another remote. Of course, the problem then becomes, how to prevent the TV from ALSO getting the original signal, because otherwise I'd end up with the correct receiver input and the wrong TV input.

It's probably a lost cause, but I was just curious.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 10
It sounds like a learning remote that can do macros, may work for you.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page