ir repeater fustration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i recently purchased a episode ir1x4 ir repeater from a dealer.

http://www.snapav.com/p-1193-kit-ir-rptr-1x4.aspx

i originally purchased one so i wouldnt need to point my universal remote at the AV rack, which is located on the left side of my plasma screen. i wanted to just point forward to change inputs (BD, appletv, cable, etc). but the issue i am running into is that the stick-on ir emitters are too small and is having a hard time talking to my onkyo receiver, appletv, and cable dvr. i seem to be moving stick-on emitters ever few days just for it to respond. can anyone sugguest a better ir repeater or bigger stick-on emitters??

thanks in advance

Samsung UN75H7150 75" LEDTV
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR828 receiver
Paradigm Monitor 7 v5 floor speakers & CC-190 center
Paradigm Atom v6
SVS PB1-ISD subwoofer/Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sounds strange. We've put in quite a few of those and haven't had problems similar to those you're describing.

Are you using the pre-made cable from the receiver to the connecting block? Or are you extending it? Are certain components more problematic than others? You could try swapping emitters around if certain ones are more problematic than others. What type of universal remote are you using? You could also try to put some IR Sheilds on the components to eliminate interference. Here are some from Xantech SnapAV makes them too, but for some reason I'm having a little difficulty finding a link for you.

If you do want to try some other type emiter the Xantech Visible Emitter is probably your best bet. But I'm not sure that will make an appreciable difference, if it makes a difference at all.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08 View Post

You could also try to put some IR Sheilds on the components to eliminate interference. Here are some from Xantech SnapAV makes them too, but for some reason I'm having a little difficulty finding a link for you.
This would be my suggestion as well if you haven't already done it. If you used to just point your remote at the rack, it must be visible and in line of sight so the components could easily be getting noise when you point the remote a different direction (even nearly 180 away from it just because IR can and does reflect/etc). The extra noise, reflections, etc probably weren't enough to make the remote work, but they're enough to interfere with the repeater's commands. Just black electric tape over the emitters should be enough to block out any extraneous IR interference...then if it works, you can get a less-ugly solution such as the little covers.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page