IR / RF multi-room extender repeater suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to use a URC MX-500 in my bedroom upstairs to control a DVR in the living room downstairs.

Looked into a few products ... the NextGen will not work with the MX-500, and simple repeaters like this one I believe only give you 9 or so feet between receiver and repeater. I guess I need an extender with a transmitter and receiver.

Are there any tried-and-true extender transmitters to look at, or have any of you guys had a lot of success with any specific models?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm a big fan of the NextGen but you're right, it won't work with the MX-500, I've tried it. I've had success with these in the past, separated by two floors, although I haven't tried them with the MX-500 > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049642&clickid=prod_cs

They might be worth a shot considering you could easily return them if you're not satisfied.

Vin
post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockocaster View Post

I'd like to use a URC MX-500 in my bedroom upstairs to control a DVR in the living room downstairs.
Looked into a few products ... the NextGen will not work with the MX-500, and simple repeaters like this one I believe only give you 9 or so feet between receiver and repeater. I guess I need an extender with a transmitter and receiver.
Are there any tried-and-true extender transmitters to look at, or have any of you guys had a lot of success with any specific models?
Thanks!

I've used a couple of different IR repeater systems over longer extension ranges (about 20 wire feet for one that uses 3.5mm stereo cable, and about 40-50 wire feet for one that uses mono RCA cable). The stereo cable type (I think it was the Cables to Go system) is a little easier to extend, because you can just get a 20' headphone extension cable and put it right inline with the receiver eye and the box w/ the emitters. The other type (Hot Link Pro system), I ended up extending over an unused run of RG-6 coaxial cable with F-connectors on the end, so I had to get a couple of adapters (the F-RCA plug is pretty easy to find, the F-RCA jack took a bit of searching but I think Parts Express carries them).
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page