Harmony Remotes - Old models vs current ones? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy,

I've never owned a Harmony (or any other intelligent universal remote) before but am looking to pick one up. The only devices I have to control at TV, DVD player, Tuner, and XBMC PC.

For the current model remotes, the 650 seems to be the best "budget" model they have out there. However, I'm wondering how this model compares to older models I can pick up off Craigslist or eBay for cheaper with more/different functionality.

If anyone can submit their opinions on this to help me out, that'd be great. Just looking to see if I'd be better off to pick up a user model from a few years ago than a current one.

Thanks for any opinions,
--Kel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Some people like the older peanut shaped models...like the 620 or 676 if you can get a good deal on one. IF not, the 650 will do what you want pretty well.

More info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1440161/ir-strength-direction-harmony-650-coming-from-676

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 352
If you just want to save a few bucks, I think you'd be better off getting a refurb or open box of a current model (like from tigerdirect). Buying a used harmony is very risky. If the seller got it replaced by logitech and is selling the old one, then logitech will disable it in a few weeks, and the orig seller and your money will be long gone. Unless you can buy from a friend, I wouldn't risk it.

Older models are better in some ways (more devices, more IR LEDs, etc.), but they're also worn out. Harmony's buttons only last a few years.

Having said that, my $15 RCA RCRP05B runs circles around any harmony I've ever had. The URC WR7 is another cheap model that's well liked. Both do activities (macros) just fine. Even your cable remote can usually be made to work like harmony with the addition of a programming cable and some free software.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page