Where do you keep your iPad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since a lot of people here have dedicated iPads as their remotes, where do you keep them? I originally just had it laying on the couch, but no one remembers to charge it when that's the case. I then bought an Apple dock and have set it on the bar. But when guests come over they think it's a free to use iPad and end up checking their email. You'd think people would be considerate of your "stuff", but they're not. I've had people download whatever apps they like, hand it off to their 3 year old kid for an accident waiting to happen, and even take it to different parts of the house and leave it there. I could go on (or maybe I'm just too picky when it comes to my electronics).

I finally got fed up and bought a wall mount for it. That's my current solution but I want to see what others do. I've seen a lot of people install the iPad into a mount for cup holders as well. I would do that but the iPad controls more than one room.

Also, if you were to wall mount it, would you put it out in the open, or inside your equipment room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Interesting, either your particular problem guests are just plain disrespectful or just not cognizant that what they are doing is an issue. I am willing to bet most of them are not doing it intentionally and the others, well you gotta ask why you would want them in your home in the first place. My wife and I both have iPads with iRule on them. We usually use our own to control what we need as we both use our iPads for many other things besides iRule we tend to have them always nearby and charged. Every once in a while you go to use it for iRule and have to have a darn I left it in the car in the garage moment but not to often. When we do have guests over we don't often let them have control lol I usually show them iRule and what it does but I control it, for Directv control with guests we have the original rf Directv remote available so once everything's turned on they can use that to channel surf. Our family members who come around know how to use iRule and are respectful enough to treat our iPads nicely. One other thing is I have an iPod touch with a simplistic "Lite" iRule interface on it that can be used for guests. I think your situation sounds like you might have guests more often and varied than my situation. I think the best thing for you to do would be to better educate your house guests. I think a polite "And this iPad is actually a touchscreen remote control for this room, let me show you how it works! Pretty cool huh? Your welcome to use it but please don't use it for anything but the remote, make sure it stays in this room and that the kids don't get to it as it could break easily." Any reasonably respectful person should receive something like that without offense I would think and should resolve your issues.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Interesting, either your particular problem guests are just plain disrespectful or just not cognizant that what they are doing is an issue.

It's definitely the former. Most of them aren't tech savvy, and see an iPad as a toy. I'm currently using Roomie to control everything, and the only way I see to get Roomie on all of the iDevices (without rebuying a $50 app each time) is if they are all logged in with the same Apple ID. That makes sense if everyone shared an account, but they don't. Maybe I can deter them by leaving my Android tablet on the table rolleyes.gif.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

It's definitely the former. Most of them aren't tech savvy, and see an iPad as a toy. I'm currently using Roomie to control everything, and the only way I see to get Roomie on all of the iDevices (without rebuying a $100 app each time) is if they are all logged in with the same Apple ID. That makes sense if everyone shared an account, but they don't. Maybe I can deter them by leaving my Android tablet on the table rolleyes.gif.

Man I feel for ya!

I don't know much about Roomie as I was an early iRule adopter. I love the flexibility iRule gives me but it does take some time to make a nice looking interface. The thing with iRule is the App is free and the builder account is what costs. What is good about this is your layout is not tied to any apple id as a matter of fact it is tied to a google account. What this means is that you can put the app on any iOS or android device at no cost and then sync the app to your builder account (google account.) So for instance iRule lets you have 3 or 5 "Handsets" depending on weather you have regular (50.00) or pro (100.00.) What a Handset is is not each device but rather a layout set so in my case I use two of my handsets one is for the ipads and our galaxy s3's as they both are the same resolution screens, the other is for the ipod touch. So on my wifes and I's iPads once the app is downloaded in the settings of the app on both devices I just put the Google account username and password and choose the main layout to sync. So theoretically you could load any one handsets layout onto an unlimited amount of devices.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 AM

Liked: 11
If all you are using the iPad for is iRule, remember the new feature in iOS 6 called Guided Access. It lets you lock down the screen to one specific app protected by a pin code. That way, you cant leave the app without knowing the pin code.

More here: http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/09/new-feature-in-ios-6-how-to-use-guided-access
krakhen likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemaNz View Post

If all you are using the iPad for is iRule, remember the new feature in iOS 6 called Guided Access. It lets you lock down the screen to one specific app protected by a pin code. That way, you cant leave the app without knowing the pin code.

More here: http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/09/new-feature-in-ios-6-how-to-use-guided-access

Very cool! Thanks for pointing that feature out. I'd never heard of it and have searched for a 'kiosk mode' option in the past. Sadly the iPad 1 became my dedicated remote and that can't be upgraded to iOS 6. This is a good excuse to pick up a Mini though...
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Irule

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page