Logitech to sell off Harmony line! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/23/logitech-q3-earnings-selling-harmony-remotes/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yup, read this earlier this morning.
Kind of a sad day really...

I just bought 3 Harmony's over the holidays...

HOne (To replace an existing unit, still working fine but has a cracked LCD screen).
H900 (To replace an existing unit, still working fine but is getting older in life).
H700 (Gave to my brother for Christmas as he badly needed an all-in-one remote).

I only hope whoever buys the business, keeps up support for the existing product line.
It would be very disappointing if all our Harmony's effectively became duds overnight with no way to add new devices to them or perform firmware updates etc...

The Harmony product line was (is) quite good all around, but I do think Logitech mismanaged it.
They played around too much with adding and then taking away features from model to model. Retail costs on some models were just too high for many to even consider buying. (it's a remote control, not a smart phone!).

Then there's the VERY outdated Harmony software for the PC (which oddly I still prefer to use), and the even stranger switch to MyHarmony.com which - you guessed it = less features.

And then there's the Harmony Touch.... Yeah, kind of cool and yet at the same time it completely missed the mark! Again... I want a remote control, not a smart phone like device!

Let's just cross our fingers that the company who buy's the Harmony business from Logitech - has the the intent to support (even improve) on the platform that already exists, and en-devours to bring new smarter (quality) products to market.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Thank God. Maybe someone will buy them out and actually release a new model that is an improvement over past models instead of a feature swap.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiee View Post

Kind of a sad day really...
I don't think it is sad, but rather encouraging news. There are actually three ways this might go:

1. It is sold and the new owners go bankrupt, do not provide support, or just let it die - worst news. This is unlikely.

2. They continue the status quo. Would someone really want to purchase and just continue the same way? Maybe.

3. The buyer realizes the potential of the product line and provides enhancements/fixes to the software, learns from Logitech's mistakes and short comings, and produces a new line of products that entices existing customers to upgrade. Doing half of these things would be a major improvement.

A read of this forum alone has a blueprint for what the new remotes should be.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 11
I think their biggest asset is the database of IR codes!
post #6 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I hope it isn't 1 but if it is I'd like to be able to access the software without it being web based.

post #7 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Liked: 14
First they abandon Squeezeboxes, and now Harmony. I'm afraid to check their website to see if they've already discontinued their trackball mice.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by archbid View Post

I think their biggest asset is the database of IR codes!

Absolutely true, I hope someone buys it and realizes the potential in developing something the customers want. Honestly since the Harmony One that have not done anything right...the new touch is a joke quite honestly.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Interesting. I have an 880 that is starting to show its wear and was thinking about getting a One. Good idea? Bad idea? Or wait (if I can) and see what happens?
post #10 of 19 Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Liked: 11
At Best Buy this weekend I was told that the Harmony One, Harmony Link, and Harmony 900 had been discontinued and that they can no longer order them. Stores are now limited to local supplies only. Looking at Logitech's website today shows that there are only 3 models being sold the Touch, 1100, and 650.

So if you want a Harmony One or 900 you better get one now.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
The problem is if Logitech doesn't find a buyer and shuts down the web config site, you could be stuck with a doorstop.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

At Best Buy this weekend I was told that the Harmony One, Harmony Link, and Harmony 900 had been discontinued and that they can no longer order them. Stores are now limited to local supplies only. Looking at Logitech's website today shows that there are only 3 models being sold the Touch, 1100, and 650.

So if you want a Harmony One or 900 you better get one now.

I was afraid of that. I know I can use my 880 software (on my laptop) to download my settings to the One but adding new devices down the road might be challenging. Very sad.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Or Logitech/buyer will continue supporting the web site, but no new H1 manufactured. H1, new or used, could then be at a premium due to supply and demand.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM

This is horrible news. The harmony is the best remote I have ever had!
post #15 of 19 Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It may turn out to be very good news. The purchaser may decide to change the business model and make the remotes both more user friendly for users who are not very sophisticated and more powerful and versatile for power users. We can only hope.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

This is repost from the Administrator on the Logitech web site.

Logitech has released an update addressing the sale of the Harmony business. To learn more please visit: http://news.logitech.com/press-release/corporate/logitech-introduces-harmony-ultimate-hub-turning-ip...
post #17 of 19 Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 AM

That link did not work for me but was it related to "Company to Retain Ownership of Harmony Remote Product Line" ?

http://news.logitech.com/press-release/corporate/logitech-introduces-harmony-ultimate-hub-turning-iphone-and-android-smartpho
post #18 of 19 Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
It's amazing what people can accomplish when their jobs are on the line - new products, new features, response to customer requests, better customer service. I wish Logitech had threatened this sell off years ago.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Here is the release.

Logitech Introduces the Harmony Ultimate Hub, Turning iPhone and Android Smartphones into Personal Universal Remotes

Company to Retain Ownership of Harmony Remote Product Line

NEWARK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Logitech (SIX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) today announced the expansion of its universal remote control lineup with the Logitech® Harmony Ultimate Hub, an appcessory for consolidating all of your remote controls into one simple smartphone app, giving you personalized control of up to eight devices from anywhere in the house, using the smartphone you already own. The hub has previously been offered as part of the Logitech Harmony® Ultimate and Logitech Harmony® Smart Control products, and will be a standalone product for customers who prefer to control their digital experience with just a smartphone.

Logitech also announced that it plans to retain ownership of its Harmony remote product line. The company has determined that retaining ownership is in the best interest of its shareholders. The Harmony product line has gained momentum following the April introduction of the Harmony Ultimate product, which is available in major retail locations including select Apple stores in the U.S., and has exceeded the company’s expectations for customer connections.

Pricing and Availability

The Logitech Harmony Ultimate Hub is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe in August 2013, for a suggested retail price of $99.99 in the U.S. For more information, please visit www.logitech.com or our blog.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
New Harmony 700 Universal Remote Tv Home Video , Harmony 900 Remote , Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote