MRF-350 and added equipment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newby here
I have a mx-450 remote that I am fairly good at programming considering its almost the same as the r50. I also have a mrf-350. ( fairly good means I'm flying by the seat of my pants in figuring it out I just barely understand it, but have been successful in doing macros) more on these questions in another post!
Everything was set up by a professional installer. Now the fun part.
We switched out a cable box, disconnected a VCR and switched out a DVD player for blue ray.
I can get all the remote codes to work via ir but can't for the life of me figure out how to tell the rf to work for these new items.
Btw the existing tv, Denon receiver and old onkyo receiver work with the rf.

The way my rf is set up is the black cables run from the 350 to each equipment, the sensors are only taped there in place it is definitely not hooked into each equipment. So this begs the question how does the rf actually work.
I can give more details on the settings of rf from my 450 but don't know which details you might need to help me.

On a side note do ones anyone know how or if I could use the set up to control an Apple TV so far I've had zero luck getting the 450 to control the Apple TV I've tried codes and learn.
Thanks for being patient with me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
RF from the 450 is only used to communicate with the MRF-350. The MRF-350 then sends IR to the devices using those stick-on IR emitters. You need to somehow tell the 450 which port on the RF unit to use for your new devices. Using the PC software you go to each device and select IR, RF, or IR+RF and after select an RF option you select ports 1-6 or All.

According to the MX-450's manual http://www.universalremote.com/resources/pdfs/MX-450_Owners_Manual.pdf

You need to enter Advanced Setup and setup RF Addressing.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I think I understand that
Yes I see under advanced set up and the rf setup
I have the option to select all devices set same or each device differs. Interestingly the info is different depending which option I select

If i select all same i get:
rf Id 0
emitter routing : all lines,
ir and rf signal both on

If I select each device differs I get
rf Id is 5 (for all the currently working devices)
emitter routing : all lines,
ir and rf signal both: on

So given this info I don't know what is what.

Do I need the pc software to go further? Or can this be done by remote?
Thanks again
post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The RF ID is what is dialed in on the bottom of the MRF-350. This allows you to target multiple units with unique codes. Dial in the 350 and set the remote to that same RF ID number. Don't use RF ID 0, that is only used to check interference while locating the unit.

I found this:

If you are working with an RF basestation, all of your RF control gets programmed in the
“RF Setup” portion of the Advanced Setup. This is where you can set the remote to a
valid RF ID and route all of your emitters.
1. From the Advanced Setup Menu, choose “RF Setup.”
2. Select “All Devices Set Same.” (If you are working with multiple basestations,
select “Each Device Differs.”)
• To set each device to an IR or RF signal, press “IR or RF Signal.”
• To set your remote to the same ID your basestation is set to, press “RF
ID#.”
• To route each emitter port to specific devices, press “Emitter Routing.”
• To enable or disable the front IR blaster on the bastation, press “Blaster
On / Off.

http://www.proaudioinc.com/Dealer_Area/URC_MX450_guide.pdf

post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Okay I'm still not getting it!
I guess I need an explanation on how the RF-350 knows each piece of equipment. There seems to be no way of assigning each sensor to each piece of equipment. This is the part I'm confused about.

When I go to advanced RF set-up,
All devices are set same (in my case factory default 0) IR and RF signals are both on for all devices. Emitter routing is set to ALL, and blaster is on.
Still these setups in no way indicated that each piece of equipment is getting a specific RF signal.

Can someone please explain because I'm having no luck activating the RF signals (meaning responding to) actually I've lost one control.

here is a great manual I found (after a lot of looking that does explain the rf-350 more completely than any other manual, but I'm still not getting it)
http://www.universalremote.com/resources/pdfs/MX-350OwnerManual.pdf
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Okay this is the stupidest question of all... and it just occurred to me.
Do the flashers have to be placed over the IR inputs on the equipment?? is there such a thing?
dumb I know
post #7 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinesurf View Post

Okay this is the stupidest question of all... and it just occurred to me.
Do the flashers have to be placed over the IR inputs on the equipment?? is there such a thing?
dumb I know

Yes, you have to place the stick-on emitters over the IR receiver of your equipment. Using a flashlight on the front of your components should help in finding the exact location. It is usually a little bulb looking thing or a mesh smaller than a dime.

Sounds like your problem is that you are only looking at the settings. You need to edit them.

The RF ID # should be set to match the number on the bottom of the MRF-350.

At this point I'm not sure what you have. You linked to a manual of a MX-350 remote, but you said you have a MX-450. Do you have this or not? http://www.universalremote.com/resources/pdfs/MX-450_Owners_Manual.pdf

If it is the MX-350 then the RF programming is on page 28 of the linked PDF.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I answered my own question. I feel dumb. I didn't have the flashers in the right spots since I didn't know this is how it all works. Flashers are placed and the Ids are correct and everything is working just fine. Thanks again.
One last thing I wish I could get my Apple TV to work remotely. I have tried everything to get the 450 to learn and use the database. Nothing!! I get a flicker on the atv but no control. I'm using code 0476. And have also tried to learn but no luck
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page