Going from IR to RF...Which remote will do it all and not break the bank. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first universal remote the logitech Harmony 650 has worked overall pretty well and I like how you can program it with a pc but im ready to make the jump from IR to RF unit. My main reason is because I want to control everything from outside while the denon and rest of systems are inside. I have outside speakers and tv but they run off the receiver inside and going inside to change volume and other things sucks when I have parties especially superbowl coming up. What is a good remote and RF receiver that i can program myself for no more than 300 for both.

My system.
Denon Receiver
Verizon Fios HD Box
Sony Dvd PLayer
Samsung 50" smart 3D TV inside
Vizio 40" smart Tv outside
Xbox 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM

At that price you will probably be stuck with Logitech or Harmony. Not a great option in my opinion. If you are willing to spend a little more ($450-$500) you can get a Pro Control remote. It is made by RTI which is a great brand. I have had good luck with them in this price range, and the software is very intuitive and easy to use.
You may also look for something on eBay from RTI as the older RF remotes go for very reasonable prices on there. Maybe a T2C etc...
www.procontrol.com
www.rticorp.com
post #3 of 14 Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Since you have a TV outside, you'll need some local IR, too, so I'd suggest just adding a cheap universal remote to "keep outside", and add the Next Generation Remote Control Extender, for RF control of the Denon and FIOS box.

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359242020&sr=1-1&keywords=next+generation+remote+control+extender

A URC WR7 and the Next Gen extender would be about $60...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 168
If you have a smartphone could go with iRule and an IP to IR device. You didn't post your AVR's model number, but it could have a remote app for IP control.

post #5 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Since you have a TV outside, you'll need some local IR, too, so I'd suggest just adding a cheap universal remote to "keep outside", and add the Next Generation Remote Control Extender, for RF control of the Denon and FIOS box.

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359242020&sr=1-1&keywords=next+generation+remote+control+extender

A URC WR7 and the Next Gen extender would be about $60...

Jeff

The tv outside is actually using the same signal from inside. At times I do use the internet apps outside only like netflix but a majority of the time I would be only needing to control the cable box on one remote.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

If you have a smartphone could go with iRule and an IP to IR device. You didn't post your AVR's model number, but it could have a remote app for IP control.

I have a slightly older model. The AVR-891
post #7 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
post #8 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonspicoli View Post

The tv outside is actually using the same signal from inside. At times I do use the internet apps outside only like netflix but a majority of the time I would be only needing to control the cable box on one remote.

You missed my point. Buy another, cheap universal remote like the one I linked to. You'll keep it "outside" (or nearby indoors) for use outside. You'll want that remote to be programmed to use the outdoor TV (power on/off, volume, mute, etc.), and have RF capability to control the set-top box inside. Hence the NextGen piece.

If you just carry your "indoor" remote outside, you won't have the IR codes correct for the outdoor TV unless they happen to be the same brand (and also use the same IR set).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #9 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Does the next generation extender pick up interference from neighbors? Is this better than all the other rf extenders like Logitech or audiovox?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Interference is unlikely due to the very low chance any of your neighbors have a Next Gen and due to the very low power involved. Logitech RF requires an expensive logitech RF remote, of which there are only 2 current models. Next Gen works with almost any remote that uses AA or AAA batteries.

Logitech also makes a relatively expensive IR repeater that works with any remote.

Not sure what you mean by the audiovox. They make leapfrog, where you aim your IR remote, then it goes via RF to an IR transmitter elsewhere. This is how a typical IR extender works. Most work fine but require aiming and both a transmitter and receiver. They are cheap and universal. Audiovox also makes a purely RF extender which only works with Acoustic Research, Nevo and One-for-all RF remotes, all of which are discontinued and expensive. I happen to have a couple of these remotes and really like them. So I do recommend one, if you can still find one.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonspicoli View Post

Does the next generation extender pick up interference from neighbors?

Unlikely.
Quote:
Is this better than all the other rf extenders like Logitech or audiovox?

It's much better than the IR-to-RF repeaters like the Audiovox, X10 Pyramids, etc. as there's no IR receiver to pick up interference from sunlight, LCD screens, CFLs, etc. A built-in RF remote will probably work better, but will be much more expensive.

Jeff

post #12 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Unlikely.
It's much better than the IR-to-RF repeaters like the Audiovox, X10 Pyramids, etc. as there's no IR receiver to pick up interference from sunlight, LCD screens, CFLs, etc. A built-in RF remote will probably work better, but will be much more expensive.

Jeff

More often its the RF receiver that picks up RF interference, and puts out IR junk signals that bombard IR windows of components. Blocking or making it useless.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 PM

How do you choose which MHz extender to buy. I have fios QIP7100 P2 box.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachtrav View Post

How do you choose which MHz extender to buy. I have fios QIP7100 P2 box.

Either will work since the RF frequency (418MHz or 433MHz) of the NextGen remote extender has no direct communication with the IR devices being controlled. The IR signal originating from your remote will be converted to RF (which doesn't require line of sight) and is sent to the RF receiver pod where it is converted back to IR allowing the receiving device (such as your Fios box) to accept and carry out the command that was sent from the remote. NextGen's latest remote extender, the Genius, is available in five different frequencies allowing independent control of up to 5 like devices.

Vin
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page