post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hareware: http://www.hot-link.com/pages/products.cgi?mrchcatid=1&mrchid=11
http://www.usbuirt.com/support.htm
using a Kindle Fire

I'm Lost, could someone tell me how to work this with the Kindle Fire and the Blaster. I would like something like the Harmony, but with the Kindle instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoray View Post

Hareware: http://www.hot-link.com/pages/products.cgi?mrchcatid=1&mrchid=11
http://www.usbuirt.com/support.htm
using a Kindle Fire

I'm Lost, could someone tell me how to work this with the Kindle Fire and the Blaster. I would like something like the Harmony, but with the Kindle instead?

Check out the iRule and Roomie threads here. I am an Irule and Kindle Fire user myself. The Kindle can run the app and for infrared control of other devices you would need a global cache device such as the itach ip2ir.

IRule would send out commands over wifi to your router and then on to the itach where they are converted to IR signals your equipment (TV, cable box, avr, etc.) can understand.

It can also communicate directly (no additional hardware) to most equipment that have IP commands such as Directv boxes and many newer AVRs.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

Check out the iRule and Roomie threads here. I am an Irule and Kindle Fire user myself. The Kindle can run the app and for infrared control of other devices you would need a global cache device such as the itach ip2ir.

IRule would send out commands over wifi to your router and then on to the itach where they are converted to IR signals your equipment (TV, cable box, avr, etc.) can understand.

It can also communicate directly (no additional hardware) to most equipment that have IP commands such as Directv boxes and many newer AVRs.

Do you know why the Ip2ir need three emitters, wouldn't one emitter blaster be enough?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you know why the Ip2ir need three emitters, wouldn't one emitter blaster be enough?

It comes with 3 emitters and 1 blaster. You can also use dual headed emitters. Blasters need line of sight. It can be a problem in some situations. It also is a poor choice if you have multiple versions of the same piece of equipment, like cable or satellite boxes in an equipment rack as they would all respond to the blasted command where if you stick an emitter on to the IR eye of the box only it will respond.

It is flexible to work in many different situations. I have 2 in my equipment rack (probably overkill as 1 would likely suffice). I have one connected with 3 TVs around my house, using cat5 cable to extend the emitter cable and the other controlling 5 or 6 pieces of other equipment, a 4x4 hdmi matrix, 2 receivers, ir 2 blue tooth convert for my PS3.

Here is a screen shot:

Hope that helps.

post #5 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It comes with 3 emitters and 1 blaster. You can also use dual headed emitters. Blasters need line of sight. It can be a problem in some situations. It also is a poor choice if you have multiple versions of the same piece of equipment, like cable or satellite boxes in an equipment rack as they would all respond to the blasted command where if you stick an emitter on to the IR eye of the box only it will respond.

It is flexible to work in many different situations. I have 2 in my equipment rack (probably overkill as 1 would likely suffice). I have one connected with 3 TVs around my house, using cat5 cable to extend the emitter cable and the other controlling 5 or 6 pieces of other equipment, a 4x4 hdmi matrix, 2 receivers, ir 2 blue tooth convert for my PS3.

Here is a screen shot:

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I wonder if the WiFi2IR Emitter socket to Receiver socket for your Cat5 would interface by using a line with two plugs; therefore, bypassing the IR. I always like to use hard wire if I can.

I don't think I would want to try that. Just an Idea. I might use my second hard wire from my router to the IP2IR instead of WiFi and Cat5 from there. I wish they had a option to IP or WiFi on the same unit.

Please let me know what you think about the options.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks! I wonder if the WiFi2IR Emitter socket to Receiver socket for your Cat5 would interface by using a line with two plugs; therefore, bypassing the IR. I always like to use hard wire if I can.

I don't think I would want to try that. Just an Idea. I might use my second hard wire from my router to the IP2IR instead of WiFi and Cat5 from there. I wish they had a option to IP or WiFi on the same unit.

Please let me know what you think about the options.

I'm not really sure what you mean. I used cat5 cable because it was already run. I just used the orange and orange striped pair and spliced it to the 2 wires found inside the emitter with some solder and electrical tape. Works like a charm. If you mean could you extend a 3.5 mm male to male cable the same way and plug it in to the back of a, for example, a receiver that has an IR in jack on the back, sure, that would work the same.

The cat5 cable I used to extend the emitter is not connected to my IP network in any way.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not really sure what you mean. I used cat5 cable because it was already run. I just used the orange and orange striped pair and spliced it to the 2 wires found inside the emitter with some solder and electrical tape. Works like a charm. If you mean could you extend a 3.5 mm male to male cable the same way and plug it in to the back of a, for example, a receiver that has an IR in jack on the back, sure, that would work the same.

The cat5 cable I used to extend the emitter is not connected to my IP network in any way.

And so the Cat5 is just an extension for the emitter at a remote location? The Hot Link (http://www.hot-link.com/pages/products.cgi?mrchcatid=1&mrchid=11) works on the same principle, but it has a receiver at the end of the Cat5, which would be located near the IP2IR. They suggest using using the IP2IR emitter with the Hot link receiver for a remote connectivity to
their chain of emitters going to each of the entertainment units. I'm putting my entertainment units in the bedroom and my speakers and LCD TV in my living room. This is probably wrong, but couldn't you connect your Cat5 to a phono plug and plug it into the IP2IR and on the other end connect a Phono socket, then plug the emitter in it.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, that sounds correct. But If you have an ip2ir global cache itach device I see no reason to buy another $129 piece of hardware to extend it when any old lamp wire or cat5 cable you have lying around will enable it to be extended with what you already have.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Agree, so with twelve entertainment units each requiring an emitter. What do I need to use? Before I work with IRule, I need make sure I purchase the right equipment and not buy something I don't need. The cabinet front is closed so group IR won't work. I decided to route the cat5 cable from the IP2IR in my work room to the living room and plug the emitter into a make-ship Cat5 to Phono socket box, then plug in the emitter close to the the Hot link IR receiver, which has it's own Cat5 to Phono socket box. The Cat5 will go to the multiple emitters in another room. What this does is allows the cat5 for other uses and gives me the option to use the kindle or a regular remote in the living room.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Irule

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page