Can I use a diplexer as an IR coupler? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to distribute IR from a central location over six existing RG6 cables carrying a cable TV signal, but the solutions for IR over coax I can find (Xantech, Channel Plus, along with a few no-name brands) all use 12 volt IR signaling. I want to use two Global Cache IP2IR units to distribute to the six locations, but these output 5 volt IR signals. Global Cache sells optically isolated cables for $39 that convert the 5v IR signal to Xantech's 12v signal, but I'd need a similar cable on both ends, plus the IR coupler on both ends, which will make for a very expensive solution!

I can't seem to find any IR over coax solutions that utilize 5 volt IR like the Global Cache hardware does, but I wonder if it is possible to "roll my own" for a lot less money. As far as I can determine, an IR coupler like Xantech's CPL10 is essentially a diplexer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I could put to use a dozen old satellite diplexers I have laying around along with 3.5mm mini female to F type male cables to connect the IP2IR's IR outputs to the DC passing "satellite" input, the cable TV to the antenna input and send the combined signal down the RG6 cable. On the other end I'd use the same solution in reverse to pull the IR signal out and connect to IR emitter(s) taped to the IR "eye" on the equipment I wish to control.

One potential problem I can think of is that the IR over coax solutions I see being sold appear require power on one end. Confusingly, sometimes the power appears to be required on the end adding the IR signal to the coax, and sometimes the power is required on the end taking the IR signal out of the coax and sending it to emitters. Maybe I'm just not knowledgeable enough, but it seems to me there's no reason why I should need additional power for my application. The IP2IR's IR ports deliver .25A @ 5v, and that power and voltage across RG6 amounts only a 5% loss even at 50 meters (and my runs aren't that long) So I should have plenty of power at the other end, since I will be taping the emitters directly to the equipment, and not trying to run a high power IR blaster. I guess I don't know exactly how much power IR emitters require, but I assume that the ~1.2 watts of power I should see at the remote end ought to be plenty.

Is there any chance what I'm proposing will work? I know, I should just try it and see, and I plan to, but first I wanted to see if anyone could tell me why I'm an idiot and this definitely will not work so I don't waste my time. But if no one can tell me why it won't work, maybe it will work. If not, back to the drawing board. Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiebert View Post

I want to distribute IR from a central location over six existing RG6 cables carrying a cable TV signal, but the solutions for IR over coax I can find (Xantech, Channel Plus, along with a few no-name brands) all use 12 volt IR signaling. I want to use two Global Cache IP2IR units to distribute to the six locations, but these output 5 volt IR signals. Global Cache sells optically isolated cables for $39 that convert the 5v IR signal to Xantech's 12v signal, but I'd need a similar cable on both ends, plus the IR coupler on both ends, which will make for a very expensive solution!

Why would you need two IP2IR units? If everything is being distributed from one location, you only need one IR output.

And you don't need to "convert" back at the IR emitter end - the emitters work fine with both voltages. You should only need one of the isolation cables, and connect it to the IR receiver port on the coax injector. (and if you're looking for the XtraLink2 gear, I've got some sitting around I'm not using and could sell)
Quote:
One potential problem I can think of is that the IR over coax solutions I see being sold appear require power on one end. Confusingly, sometimes the power appears to be required on the end adding the IR signal to the coax, and sometimes the power is required on the end taking the IR signal out of the coax and sending it to emitters.

There will be power required at one end (the adapter's normally at the send-side), and that's to power the IR receiver (which has to create the signal from the infrared light). Since you're trying to patch in the electrical signal (not light), you don't need more power.
Quote:
Is there any chance what I'm proposing will work? I know, I should just try it and see, and I plan to, but first I wanted to see if anyone could tell me why I'm an idiot and this definitely will not work so I don't waste my time. But if no one can tell me why it won't work, maybe it will work. If not, back to the drawing board. Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can provide!

Don't know... You're essentially passing baseband / DC signals, I don't know how the diplexers will deal with it, and you'd certainly have issues if any of the gear is already using DC - certainly can't share will dish-to-sat-receiver lines.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Why would you need two IP2IR units? If everything is being distributed from one location, you only need one IR output.

And you don't need to "convert" back at the IR emitter end - the emitters work fine with both voltages. You should only need one of the isolation cables, and connect it to the IR receiver port on the coax injector. (and if you're looking for the XtraLink2 gear, I've got some sitting around I'm not using and could sell)
There will be power required at one end (the adapter's normally at the send-side), and that's to power the IR receiver (which has to create the signal from the infrared light). Since you're trying to patch in the electrical signal (not light), you don't need more power.
Don't know... You're essentially passing baseband / DC signals, I don't know how the diplexers will deal with it, and you'd certainly have issues if any of the gear is already using DC - certainly can't share will dish-to-sat-receiver lines.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the response. I need two IP2IR units because I have the same brand of TV in each of the six locations. So I need the ability to send a different signal to each, thus two IP2IR units (3 IR ports each)

Good point about not needing to convert the voltage back from 12v to 5v on the other end, since emitters will obviously work fine at 12v. Guess if I'm forced to use that solution it won't be quite as expensive as I thought smile.gif

Your explanation about power makes perfect sense. I think looking at Xantech product manuals left me hopelessly confused about power requirements! I'd be using lines running CATV, so there is no DC on them now.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiebert View Post

I need two IP2IR units because I have the same brand of TV in each of the six locations. So I need the ability to send a different signal to each, thus two IP2IR units (3 IR ports each)

Ick. So you're going to have six separate systems, then, with IR injectors after the CATV amp/spliiter and DC blocking on each leg. And likely a GC-to-Xantech compatibility cable on each. Double ick. Buying 6 iTachs is probably going to be a break-even instead. You're talking 4 iTachs instead of 6 $30 cables, plus all the coax/IR gear.

I assume that means you're going to be using iRule / Roomie for your in-room remotes, then? I would strongly suggest you try this out in "real life" first if you haven't already. I use iRule for my theater control and it works great, but these mobile-device-based touchscreen solutions are, IMO, awful for everyday TV / DVR / surfing. The lack of hard buttons means you have to look at the device every time you want to do anything. Not to mention the "device unlock" and other annoyances.

And wait, if you're only running CATV over coax to these displays, what are you controlling in the first place besides the TV itself? I assume there's a system behind this that you haven't described?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page