Planning to hide my components, need new remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've been reading this forum on and off for years but don't post much. I'm finally trying to setup my living room the way I've always wanted (mounted tv, hidden components, surround sound, etc). One of my big questions right now is what remote to get.

Budget: trying to keep it under $200, but may consider more if it's really necessary.
Components: Samsung 55" TV, receiver (haven't bought one yet), WDTV, xbox 360, wii, cable box, etc..
Battery: would be nice to have a rechargeable remote with a base station
signal: I was thinking RF but not sure if that's the best solution. I would like to hide all my components in the corner of the room or possibly a different room.
interface: don't care if it's touch screen or buttons. Just needs to be easy to hold and very responsive
macros: needs to at least have activities. I don't need any super fancy macros, but it should be able to turn on certain components, turn off others, change inputs, and other similar features
additional information: I would really love to have a remote that has either an onscreen or physical keyboard. Would be nice to use for controlling my streaming devices.
programming: i like the pc programming of the harmonies, but could consider something else.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
My first thought was that we have something in common, a dream. I would like to have tablet that is light as a feather, battery last a full day, has a virtual keyboard, cost less than $500, runs all my software.... Sorry, I was getting carried away with my dream.

Back to reality. A new remote to do what you want will cost more than your $200 budget. You could try for a used or refurbished one but that is a risk.

If you want to hide your components an RF based remote will be required.

Suggest you read the FAQ, which should really be a "sticky" in this forum. It will help in the determination of your needs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1318737/remote-control-faq-buyers-guide-and-programming-thread

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
An option that would fall within your budget is an inexpensive 7" tablet sourced from China ( about $60 ), a Global Cache IP2IR ( about $95 ) if you can run Ethernet to you equipment closet, or WF2IR ( about $110 ) if you can't. and finally iRule ( $50 ). This is assuming you already have a home network.

The current crop of Allwinner A10 or A13 based tablets are remarkably good and light. Several support Google Play. You can see the options on Aliexpress.com and search for 'Android 7 inch allwinner'.

A bit of a learning curve on iRule, but nothing too drastic, and lots of community support.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Global Cache Ip2ir Itach Wired Tcp Ip To Ir , Irule

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page