Setting up multiple DirecTV receivers on Harmony 1100 in same room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but my other subject title isn't really reflective of my question anymore.

I bought the 1100 to control my sports room. I have just gone through initial setup and *sort of* have it working, but now comes the difficult part. I have learned through reading here and other places that this apparently can be done, but having a hard time figuring out how to do it.

I have 4 Dtv receivers in my cabinet and a separate TV for each of them. Forgetting about the TVs for now, I need to figure out how to program this thing to control each receiver independently of the others.

I have the initial "Watch TV" activity set up which turns on my main TV and main Dtv box. The problem, of course, is that every Dtv box responds to that signal and also turns on. I need to alter this so that I can control each box individually.

Essentially I want to have 2 "Activities" setup. 1 which turns on only my Dtv 1 box and projector (main tv) and Activity 2 which would turn on all 4 TVs and all 4 boxes. From there, I could individually select any box and change the channel, etc.

Any idea how I would begin to program this?

Thanks much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
on the harmony side you just add more activities 1 for each box, name the dtv boxes so you know which one is which as you add devices.
On to the dtv boxes:
Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Remote Control > Advanced Setups
from there it will walk you through.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Each of the directv receivers can be set to one of 8 IR codesets. The best way is to switch 3 of your receivers to alternate codesets, leaving one set to the default codeset 00001. Let that be the Hr34, will be changing the H21's.

Put the Harmony away for now, its the oem remotes and receivers for now. Cover up three receivers as you switch one, start by programming the Directv remotes:

1. av1
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 2

then:

1. av2
3. enter 0 0 0 0 3

And on a second directv remote:

1. av1
3. enter 0 0 0 0 4

Now slide back to the Directv device on the remote and enter menu of the first receiver:

1. menu> setup> settings> remote> receiver mode>

2. you will see either Directv or AV1/AV2, click whichever to reveal both

3. chose Av1/Av2, the remote will stop controlling the receiver, slide to AV1 on the remote which has code 00002

4. press Done and exit the menu

Now cover that receiver up, uncover a different H21. To get to codesets above 00002 in the H21, the menu option is different. Slide back to Dtv device and enter the menu:

1. menu> setup> settings> remote> advance setup>
2. press DASH key on the remote, its the key left of the zero key.
3. click on the Receiver #, to reveal a drop down menu, scroll to Receiver 3,
4. click on continue, the remote will no longer control the receiver, slide to AV2 on the remote which should have code 00003
5. done and exit the menu

cover this receiver, and uncover the fourth, now using the second remote with code 00004 programmed to the av1 device, slide to dtv device and enter menu:

1. menu> setup> settings> remote> advance setup>
2. press DASH key on the remote, its the key left of the zero key.
3. click on the Receiver #, to reveal a drop down menu, scroll to Receiver 4,
4. click on continue, the remote will no longer control the receiver, slide to AV1 on the remote which should have code 00004
5. done and exit the menu
Baboontyme likes this.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

You are the man, Edmund. Thanks a ton. I mostly have it down. Should just be some tweaking from here.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Allright, I have this thing mostly humming. I'm not quite sure I like it, though. Sort of a pain in the ass. I think if I'm going to spend $400 for a remote I should like it more than this.

What is the best URC out there? The 980? Where can I buy it from a retailer where I'm not going to have to deal with software issues? Anywhere online? Or local shop only?
post #6 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
If you like touchscreen remotes, you should also check out iRule. Controlling 4 DVR's simultaneously is going to be tough on a remote with mostly hard buttons like the 980. On an iPad you can put all 4 on one screen with some nice graphic elements as well. iRule can also control your DVR's via wifi, so no aiming and no IR blasters required.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM

What did you end up doing on this?

I am in a similar situation. I have 3 tvs 3 directv boxes in one room. I have had it setup before where I previously lived where 1 Dtv remote conrolled all the boxes and the side tvs. The AV remote controlled everything else.

I just moved and would like to setup with a single universal remote but am undecided which will work best.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

There are some cheap Philips universal remotes with codes for three Directv addresses:

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/175229-cheap-universal-remote-w-preset-codes-for-3-addresses/
post #9 of 13 Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM

i know this thread is old but wanted some help. I have 3 tvs in basement with directv. two tvs are the same. can one be on rf and one on IR and controlled separately? turning on, and volume also?
post #10 of 13 Old 10-17-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhigh8 View Post

i know this thread is old but wanted some help. I have 3 tvs in basement with directv. two tvs are the same. can one be on rf and one on IR and controlled separately? turning on, and volume also?

No, TV's are IR only controlled devices. There are aftermarket RF universals with separately sold addressable basestations.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I think it IS possible. The 1100 is RF with assignable RF and IR outputs. So make 2 of the same TV device, assign one to RF, put the assigned IR blaster directly on top of one TV's IR sensor and cover completely so no stray IR can enter. Leave the other TV IR as you had planned. This should keep the TVs isolated from each other, giving you independent control. You already know the drill for controlling multiple DirecTV boxes. The tricky part is going to be putting all the required functions for your 3 TVs and DVRs on just a couple of screens. That's up to you to figure out.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhigh8 View Post

Have same situation

3 directv genies
2 Panasonic tvs
1 Samsung
1 Yamaha surround sound

All on the same wall. Have never programmed a universal remote, but definitely need to get something to stop from using 7 different remotes. Would Irule support all the devices I want to use?
post #13 of 13 Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 AM

I'm in the same boat as bhigh8 and molibra.

I've got 4 TVs (3 Emerson, 1 Mitsubishi) and 4 DirecTV HD Receivers all on the same wall. The problem I'm running into is controlling 1 TV at a time using the Logitech Harmony 1100 and the RF Extender. I plan to use Edmund's method above to control the receiver boxes then go from there to try to get the TVs to cooperate.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 1100 Remcontrol