Old style URC boolean - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I currently have a URC RF20 and I'd like to get a similar remote that has some kind of state memory(device is on or off).

It appears to me that only the newer URC MX remotes have state memory(boolean). Is this correct?

The reason I want to do this is because I have multiple devices without discrete on/off codes, which makes normal macros difficult/impossible.

Any non-Harmony ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 430
JP1 remotes running extenders also have state memory (up to 8 toad-tog bits).
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't think there are any JP1 remotes that can compete with URC for quality. If I'm wrong then please post them and I will take a look.

My RF20 has taken much abuse from 2 babies and still functions with minimal problems.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have 10 year old JP1 remotes that are still going strong. They are very durable and can easily be disassembled and cleaned or refurbished. The fact that most are under $20 has probably given you the wrong impression. They are cheap, but not poor quality. But you're correct that they aren't built like a tank like URC is. And most lack an LCD display like URC. Since there are literally hundreds of JP1 models, it's hard to recommend just one. But I picked up one of THESE not long ago and really like it. The only drawback is you have to solder in your own pins (but it's really easy).

If JP1 is too cheap and harmony is off the table, I think URC is your only choice.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I have 10 year old JP1 remotes that are still going strong. They are very durable and can easily be disassembled and cleaned or refurbished. The fact that most are under $20 has probably given you the wrong impression. They are cheap, but not poor quality. But you're correct that they aren't built like a tank like URC is. And most lack an LCD display like URC. Since there are literally hundreds of JP1 models, it's hard to recommend just one. But I picked up one of THESE not long ago and really like it. The only drawback is you have to solder in your own pins (but it's really easy).

If JP1 is too cheap and harmony is off the table, I think URC is your only choice.

I like the top lcd control on my RF20 quite a bit and don't want to move to a more normal remote. I've owned $10 remotes that are much better built than Harmony. If my 2-year old son got a hold of a Harmony One I'm not sure it would be usable afterwards.

I don't mind soldering. I just can't find a JP1 remote with a multiple row LCD like the RF20. It looks like only the newer MX remotes have boolean states and I don't much care for them.

Any ideas?

Thank you for the suggestions so far mdavej, I appreciate it.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's all I've got. The JP1 remotes with an LCD like the ARRX18G and ARRX12G have no variables. Other non-URC and non-harmony options are going to be expensive.

Can you work around any of your discrete issues by leaving some devices on or using other sequences of commands like play and power toggle for a discrete off, for example? Or can you use HDMI-CEC? That can sometimes replace discrete on/off and discrete input commands as well.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think I can get around it using power, delay, exit and power, delay, power macros. Since the problem is my projector CEC doesn't offer much to solve it. Receivers don't send commands to other devices they just pass along and receive for CEC.

Can anyone comment on if the mx650 is a good upgrade from a rf20?

I might need to start a new thread.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page