Multiple "Remote Eyes" for Comcast RNG110 HD Cable Box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched but not been able to find the answer...so:

I have a "U" shaped basement that I use for my home gym. I have 2 flatpanel HD sets one either side of the "U" that get their signals from one Comcast RNG110 cable box which sits inside the closet under the stairs between the two vertical legs of the "U". This cable box has an "IR Receive" input for a "remote eye" extender but I have only been able to find "single" remote eyes. I would like to have two or three remote eyes that would plug into the cable box's IR Receive input so that I can control it no matter where I am in the basement.

Does such a thing exist (multiple eye extender cable)?

Can a "Y" adapter be used to connect 2 single eyes together - will that work?

Thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
You need either an IR extender or a RF universal remote. The IR input on the cable box will probably only work using output from an IR emitter.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

You need either an IR extender or a RF universal remote. The IR input on the cable box will probably only work using output from an IR emitter.

I have a single remote eye cable that I plug into the IR Receive input on my cable box and I put the eye outside of the closet on one side of the "U" and am able to use my regular cable box remote to control things (on/off, change channels, pull up the guide, etc). The problem is that I want another eye to put on the other side of the "U". So I'm hoping either there is a double eyed cable out there or that two single cables can be "Y"'d together. I'm looking for information on either of these two solutions.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I think you're asking for trouble. Electrically, connecting 2 receivers in parallel should work ok, but if both pick up out-of-phase signals because of different locations and wire lengths, this will result in scrambled signals. If the eyes are completely isolated from each other, so only one at a time has any possibility of receiving the signal from your remote, then it should work ok.

A better solution, although more expensive, would be to simply get a Next Generation RF extender. You just replace one of the batteries in your remote with the NG transmitter, and put the base near your cable box. Since it's RF, it will work everywhere in your house with no aiming required. It runs about $40.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I think you're asking for trouble. Electrically, connecting 2 receivers in parallel should work ok, but if both pick up out-of-phase signals because of different locations and wire lengths, this will result in scrambled signals. If the eyes are completely isolated from each other, so only one at a time has any possibility of receiving the signal from your remote, then it should work ok.

A better solution, although more expensive, would be to simply get a Next Generation RF extender. You just replace one of the batteries in your remote with the NG transmitter, and put the base near your cable box. Since it's RF, it will work everywhere in your house with no aiming required. It runs about $40.

Thanks for the info. Going to give the NG a try.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

FYI - I tried using a "Y" cable connector to run 2 "eyes" at the same time (isolated from each other) and it didn't work. I could unplug either one from the "Y" connector and the remaining one would function but anytime the 2 were both connected - no dice...
post #7 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Received the NG and it works just as advertised. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page