connecting MRF-260 directly to Motorola STB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This seems like it should be easy, but I've struggled with it for awhile. I have two sets of MX-850 remotes + MRF-260 RF base stations which are used to control two different sets of AVR+STB. All equipment sits in the same closet, and occasionally I have a problem where MX-850 #1 interacts with STB #2, and MX-850 #2 interacts with STB #1. Currently, the IR emitters connect from MRF-260 base station (3.5mm mono plug) to the IR receive window of the STB (stick-on IR emitter).

To prevent the "interference", what I would like to do is connect directly from MRF-260 to the "IR Remote Input" of the STB. However, I can't get this to work with the Motorola QIP7216 and QIP7232 (FIOS) STBs. (I do have it working with MRF-260 output connected directly to Onkyo TX-SR706.)

Here's what I believe:
MRF-260 output = 3.5 mm jack, mono (TIP=data, SLEEVE=ground)
QIP7216/QIP6232 input = 3.5 mm jack, stereo (TIP=5V, RING=data, SLEEVE=ground)

So I took a cable with 3.5 mm stereo jack -to- RCA connecters (LEFT and RIGHT), connected an RCA-female -to- 3.5 mm male mono adapter to the RCA RIGHT channel (RIGHT is RING I believe), and then connected this cable between MRF-260 and STB. But it didn't work.

Any ideas how to solve this issue? Everything I've read on the FIOS forums tell me the IR Remote Inputs are enabled and function normally when used with FIOS/Mot IR receiver extenders. But I'd rather not get those and go electrical-to-IRtx-to-IRrx-to electrical to get this to work.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would ask, why not just make your own cable? Trying to use a variety of adapters like that is just asking for issues.

Oppo Blu-ray players have a similar requirement when it comes to using the IR input on the back. They sell a cable that is stereo on one end and mono on the other which may do what you need. It is only 2 bucks: http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IRAC

The wiki looks like this is the same as what you are asking for: http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-83_Hardware_FAQ#What_are_the_IR_connector_specifications.3F
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I was going to make my own cables as you suggest but wanted to prove out the wiring with cables I already had. If I can't get it to work with the 3.5mm stereo - to - RCA - to - 3.5mm mono combination, then I don't want to waste my time with a custom cable. Here's a better diagram of what I thought would work but did not:

MRF-260 (3.5mm mono) -> QIP 7216/7232 (3.5mm stereo)
TIP = signal -> RING = RIGHT RCA = signal
SLEEVE = ground -> SLEEVE = ground
no connection -> TIP = LEFT RCA = +5V
post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have 0 confidence that trying to use a bunch of adapters like that will give you results. I understand your logic but in my experience trying to use adapters like that will not work.

The cable is 2 bucks plus shipping so you are not out much money even if it does not work but look at that wiki page as it seems to be the same config as you describe.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 17
Sounds like it bleed over. Use some electrical tape over the windows. Not sure if the mrf260 has adjustable is ports but you could try cranking down the it signal.

Sent from my Commodore 64
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Universal Remote Mrf 260

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page