Recently, I've completed setting up my 5.1 home theater system in my main zone (family room) which includes the following:
Has direct line of sight (mounted on wall):
Does NOT have direct line of sight (hidden in media cabinet):
Panasonic BTD-220 Blu-Ray Player
Time Warner Cable Box
Denon 3313 A/V Receiver
In addition, I have installed a TV on my 2nd zone (rear porch) that is being controlled via the 2nd HDMI output (video) on the Denon 3313. The audio is being outputted utilizing the 6th and 7th speaker outputs (assignable) as I'm only run 5.1 in my main zone.
The Denon app (on my iPhone) is great when it comes to changing the source or changing the volume on either of the zones. However, when I want to change channels on my Time Warner cable, I have to switch over to the My TWC app. Or if I want to use my Apple TV, I have to switch over to the remote (by Apple) app. As you can imagine, there is alot of lag time going from app to app. Or alternatively, I use a Harmony 600 remote (IR only) and I can control all the devices from it which is great. However, at the moment, I have to keep the media cabinet open as the Harmony remote is IR only.
BTW, all the devices except the Time Warner cable box is hardwired to my network.
My goals are as follows:
1) Have one device or app that can control all my devices
2) Do not want any additional hardware that has to be placed in a visible location (in the media cabinet is fine)
3) Want to keep the media cabinet closed at all times
So my questions to you guys are as follows:
1) Should I go RF to IR (like the Next Gen Remote), or RF (like the Harmony 900) or IP (like Redeye or Roomie)?
2) If Next Gen, plus or Genius?
3) If RF, Harmony 900 or something else?
4) If IP, which app and what hardward would I need to purchase?
Thanks in advance for the help!