Recommend a remote that's got wife appeal... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So my wife has signed off on the universal remote, last night yelling about the pile of remotes and not being able to figure it out. I am still in the doghouse on system creep with my upgrade to a Panny GT50, that spilled into replacing my AVR and buying more speakers. So what remote has the wife appeal to bail me out? She like intuitive easy to use stuff. She's a macaholic, graphic designer.

I have a denon AVR-1910, denon BDP-1610, xbox360 kinnect, cox hd cable with atlanta HD4240AC, and panasonic GT50.

I want to be able to have simple buttons that she would choose to watch cable TV, play on the xbox, watch a blu ray, play a CD, or access something in vierra tv, like netflix or amazon. I also want to be able to program buttoms for things like "dynamic EQ midnight setting".

I was all set to buy the Harmony Touch Remote, but saw the thread here with everybody saying what a horrible review it was, despite being over $200.

So what would you recommend? Can you back it up with a happy wife?

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
I guess the answer is: NONE OF THEM.

And I do believe it - her enthusiasm is at an all time low.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Liked: 32
Honestly? This one will do the trick. My wife can use it, any wife can. wink.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Xbox-360-Remote/dp/B000CCXCYC
post #4 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post

So my wife has signed off on the universal remote, last night yelling about the pile of remotes and not being able to figure it out. I am still in the doghouse on system creep with my upgrade to a Panny GT50, that spilled into replacing my AVR and buying more speakers. So what remote has the wife appeal to bail me out? She like intuitive easy to use stuff. She's a macaholic, graphic designer.

I have a denon AVR-1910, denon BDP-1610, xbox360 kinnect, cox hd cable with atlanta HD4240AC, and panasonic GT50.

I want to be able to have simple buttons that she would choose to watch cable TV, play on the xbox, watch a blu ray, play a CD, or access something in vierra tv, like netflix or amazon. I also want to be able to program buttoms for things like "dynamic EQ midnight setting".

I was all set to buy the Harmony Touch Remote, but saw the thread here with everybody saying what a horrible review it was, despite being over $200.

So what would you recommend? Can you back it up with a happy wife?

Thanks a bunch!

To comiserate with you, I had the same problem only on a larger scale with the full family. To be crass here, I was looking for the remote that was fully "idiot proof" for my family, and that allowed me to readily access ALL remote commands for all devices.

I ended up going with the Harmony 880 remote, and now have four of them in the house. I did start with the harmony 659, but it was not quite robust enough.

I think the Harmony Touch will be the answer for you. I can appreciate the cost hesitation, but I can assure you that after I gave in and purchased a Harmony 880, I felt it was worth every penny!

As support, ANYONE in the family can press one button to do any activity (TV, DVD, CD plr, etc.), and it will come up "fully set up" (sound, pic settings adjsuted, even Blu Ray draw opened!). THEN, if they want to switch, they simply press another activity button to switch! It works out perfectly, and no one is chasing me saying "I want to watch a movie, or listen to a CD"

Go with the Harmony, it's a bit complicated to fully program, but in the end it is the only way to go for the wife factor!!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Harmony One.

It's crappy to program, but once it's setup, it works. Two long-term issues I've had with my Harmony One: 1) the original battery malfunctioned and bulged inside the remote. I had to take the remote apart to get the battery out and then replaced it; 2) the most used buttons are a little "sticky" now
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Harmony One, hands down.

The touch removes some physical buttons and places them on the touch screen, making it a bit awkward to use.

I've had my H1 for a while, and my wife and kids can operate it without issue.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM

......... or .......

Maybe you should think of a Tablet with built in IR control.

You can completely customize those .... simple or complex ... or both, you choose.

I have used the URC mx-500 and now mx-450 for years (loved them) ..... but Sony's Tablet has built in remote control. I think i heard Samsung is about to do the same.

I can post some Pic's if anyone's interested.

KC

Pioneer PD-4340HD Plasma,Pioneer HTD530 DVD/Recvr, Sony and Phillips Blu-Ray,
MX-450 remote,Cisco Netbox/PVR, Rogers in Ontario

post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaudle View Post

......... or .......

Maybe you should think of a Tablet with built in IR control.

You can completely customize those .... simple or complex ... or both, you choose.

I have used the URC mx-500 and now mx-450 for years (loved them) ..... but Sony's Tablet has built in remote control. I think i heard Samsung is about to do the same.

I can post some Pic's if anyone's interested.

KC
Please do.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 PM

These are snaps from the Sony Xperia S Tablet .... it has a built in ir remote APP. You can load in pre-programmed key codes and then also edit/create keys and 'learn' to them. My Cisco/Rogers Cable HD pvr box codes mostly came in automatically .... strangely, none of my Sony Blu-ray player keys did so I had to manually learn each one.

The ability to customize is exceptional. These 2 pages show the Cisco HD Netbox controls .... swipe the top 'cable Box' button to the right and it switches to the Blu-ray player.

remote pg1

On page two of the Cable pages notice I have several outdoor camera's plugged into the switcher (ir controlled) that feeds my TV ... front door, cars, pool etc.

remote pg2

This snap is an APP from my cable provider. You can change channels, surf the guide and actually setup your PVR recording. It is finicky, but will run on any Android tablet I believe as long as your cable company allows it, and uses Cisco boxes. It works thru your wireless network, then I assume back to the cable companies server, then back to your cisco box. About a 3 second delay.

A pretty cool concept because my PVR is upstairs but i can set the HD PVR to record/play what I want from downstairs where my second non-pvr Cisco HD Netbox (and my tablet) resides .... so the HD PVR serves two separate locations.

Neither of these 2 APPS will trigger the SONY Tablets documented memory flaw which causes the Tablet to occasionally reboot (streaming internet video is the suspected culprit). Its a fast excellent Tablet otherwise. I also have the Samsung 10.1 Tablet .... I read somewhere they may be coming out with remote capability built in as well .... look for it.

KC

Pioneer PD-4340HD Plasma,Pioneer HTD530 DVD/Recvr, Sony and Phillips Blu-Ray,
MX-450 remote,Cisco Netbox/PVR, Rogers in Ontario

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Universal Remote Control Mx 500 10 Device Lcd Viewscreen Remote Control With Joystick Operation , Universal Remote Control Mx 450 Custom Programmable Remote Control With On Screen Macro Editing
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page