can the RCA RCRP05BR be programed to controll windows7 media center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I believe my Harmony 700 remote mite be on it's way out so I like to be prepared w/ a secondary remote.

don't want to get to involved I allready have the RCA programmed for the TV,DVR and AVR is it possiable to enter a code for window 7 media center and point the RCA at the HP IR reciever to control the PC?

I would also like to replicate a few activitys of the Harmony onto the RCA using macros like watch TV press one button and have the AVR, TV turn on and off w/ one button and watch PC.
here's a link to the RCA.
Thanks STB
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RCRP05BR-Device-Replacement-Universal/dp/B0028IKXLS

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

what I'd like to do is replicate a few activitys of the Harmony onto the RCA.

?1. the Harmony activitiys are basicially a squence of commands, can I use the learn function on the RCA to learn from the Harmony activitiys?
if yes can I learn to the top lighted buttons?

?2. or will I have to build my own sequence on the RCA?
if yes what would be the sequence this is what I'm thinking for watch TV activity
1.power on TV
2.power on AVR
3.power on the HDMI port that is coming out of AVR to the in of TV.

?3.I'm assumming if the answer to ?2 is yes I will only be able to replicate two Harmony activiys? by ultilizing the 1 and 2 macro? (I'm not ready for the JP1 programming yet. just a quick easy setup.

?4. I can't find the RCA instruction sheet however I do have a few notes when I setup the RCA.

Dave are you there the Harmony is not charging batteies still works however I'm not optimistic it will continue much more.
Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #3 of 24 Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone w/ advice on the RCA remote?

post #4 of 24 Old 04-06-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Seems like I've written volumes about this before, all of which you ignored, so please look at our old exchanges and the wiki in my signature. I'll give you some quick answers to get you started, but I can't do any hand holding again.

1. No and no
2. Yes
3. Macros can go on any button except the lighted ones (without JP1)
4. Instruction sheet is available many places and full instructions are in the wiki

Before JP1 worked on the RCA, I had about a dozen activity macros on mine, now I have about 30 with JP1, so everything you had on harmony is possible on the RCA especially if you use JP1 (minus the LCD of course).
post #5 of 24 Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
as for the original question, use dvd code 1972 for the media center.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Seems like I've written volumes about this before, all of which you ignored, so please look at our old exchanges and the wiki in my signature. I'll give you some quick answers to get you started, but I can't do any hand holding again.

1. No and no
2. Yes
3. Macros can go on any button except the lighted ones (without JP1)
4. Instruction sheet is available many places and full instructions are in the wiki

Before JP1 worked on the RCA, I had about a dozen activity macros on mine, now I have about 30 with JP1, so everything you had on harmony is possible on the RCA especially if you use JP1 (minus the LCD of course).
Dave one quick ? please how do I program a close media center button on the RCA?

or can close MCE be learned from the Harmony?

I looked over the Wiki in you'r sig. could'nt find close MCE
Thanks STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

as for the original question, use dvd code 1972 for the media center.
Edmund yes the 1972 code is working fine I've got some fine tuning to do.

really need close MCE the RCA goe's automatically to MCE when I would prefer it to go directly to desktop.
Thanks STB

post #7 of 24 Old 04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

Dave one quick ? please how do I program a close media center button on the RCA?

or can close MCE be learned from the Harmony?

I looked over the Wiki in you'r sig. could'nt find close MCE
Thanks STB
I looked high and low for CLOSE but can't find a single Microsoft MCE remote that has that command. So you will have to learn that one from harmony.
Quote:
Edmund yes the 1972 code is working fine I've got some fine tuning to do.

really need close MCE the RCA goe's automatically to MCE when I would prefer it to go directly to desktop.
Thanks STB
You can set WMC so it doesn't auto-start in the settings in WMC itself.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

how to program the RCA RCRP05BR for macro watch PC.

I have my RCA RCRP05BR remote programmed w/ code 1972 in DVR mode.
I usalley start w/ watch TV (it’s macro works fine both on and off).

Here’s my watch TV macro
1.press mode AVR
2.AVR power on w/ live button
3AVR .set to AV1 button #4 (which I have a button programed on the RCA for)
4.mode TV
5.power on TV

when I find out there's nothing on TV I like to switch to PC or BD since the AVR & TV are allready on this is the watch PC macro I tryed

1.press mode AVR

2.set AVR to HDMI 3 red button (which I have a button programed on the RCA for PC)

3.mode PC

4.power on PC

Result is the AVR switchs to HDMI 3, PC turns on, lose audio and it stays on TV. it's does'nt switch to PC.

I think the Yamaha (AVR) AV1 is for the optical tosh link for audio out of TV to input of AVR thus losing audio. PCs HDMI connection is HDMI 3 and I observe #3 on the AVRs display.

Edit. if I try manuelly
1.press mode AVR
2.live powers on AVR
3.TV mode
4.power on
5.PC mode power on

result is the same as above macro so I then press AV1 and get audio however it stays on TV.

Edit:w/ Harmony my PC has always started at the desktop, doe’s the RCA automatically reconfigure MCE settings?

Thanks Dave for the assistance
STB

post #9 of 24 Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can set WMC so it doesn't auto-start in the settings in WMC itself.[/quote]I have start WMC when windows satrs unchecked.

I tryed to learn close and open WMC from the Harmony unsucsessfully is this actualley possiable like has this been proven to work?

Still waiting on response from post #8

STB

post #10 of 24 Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Until you find the manual steps that work, I can't help you. Perhaps someone with the same AVR as you can identify the problem. I don't understand how you select seperate audio and video inputs on a Yamaha.

The RCA does not reconfigure WMC.

I can post the EFC for Open. I will analyze Close and see if using a code is possible. I personally use an ORtek dongle and codes, so I have working open and close commands. I have never seen the close command for a MCE dongle.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Until you find the manual steps that work, I can't help you. Perhaps someone with the same AVR as you can identify the problem. I don't understand how you select seperate audio and video inputs on a Yamaha.

The RCA does not reconfigure WMC.

I can post the EFC for Open. I will analyze Close and see if using a code is possible. I personally use an ORtek dongle and codes, so I have working open and close commands. I have never seen the close command for a MCE dongle.
yes if you can find the close MCE that would be a big help.

I looked at the Harmony turn on process for the PC activity

remember I usalley start w/ watch TV so I'll try this

When you start this Activity, the remote will ensure your system is set up as follows:
Device Status / Actions
Samsung TV Samsung TV is on allready on
Yamaha YAM Yamaha YAM is on allready on
Polk Audio Sub Polk Audio Sub is on allready on
Microsoft Acer Microsoft Acer is on this will be the first step in RCA watch PC macro
Other All other devices are off
Samsung TV Samsung TV is set to "HDMI 2" second step
Yamaha YAM Yamaha YAM is set to "HDMI 3" thrid step

edit: when in watch PC w/ RCA (actualley started activity w/ the Harmony) then switching manuelly to watch TV w/ RCA,

I press HDMI 2

get a no signal

however when I press the on demand I get video but no audio untill I press audio mode then AV1.

so I think there are two problem areas AV1 and on demand.
Thanks STB

I'll experiment will the manelly macro then build a macro.

post #12 of 24 Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you perform the Close function today with harmony? All I can find in the harmony database is Alt+F4, which should be learnable, but can't be done with an EFC code.

Sounds like you just need both input steps in your macro: OnDemand and AV1.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do you perform the Close function today with harmony? All I can find in the harmony database is Alt+F4, which should be learnable, but can't be done with an EFC code.

Yes Dave you are correct Harmony Alt+F4 is close MCE.

Harmony refers to it as Alt+F4: Shutdown current window

here's the SE link
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/td-p/374844

Dave I believe what happened was that I inadvertantly powered down the PC while it was in WMC so the next time I'd turn on PC it would start at WMC.

Even though I've tryed severale times, I'll try again to learn the Alt+F4 from the Harmony to the RCA.

As far as the on demand key I belive I (when I initiallt purchased the RCA) must have programmed this key as a toggle between TV and HDMI2 so I could toggle between TV and another device think I'll unlearn that command and use the on demand for someting else then redo the current macros.

Currently I have both watch TV and watch PC (coming from watch TV) working now I have a better understanding and will fine tune the macros.

only remaining issuse so far is a programmed close MCE for the RCA.
Thanks STB

post #14 of 24 Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes Dave you are correct Harmony Alt+F4 is close MCE.

Harmony refers to it as Alt+F4: Shutdown current window

here's the SE link
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/td-p/374844

Dave I believe what happened was that I inadvertantly powered down the PC while it was in WMC so the next time I'd turn on PC it would start at WMC.

Even though I've tryed severale times, I'll try again to learn the Alt+F4 from the Harmony to the RCA.

As far as the on demand key I belive I (when I initiallt purchased the RCA) must have programmed this key as a toggle between TV and HDMI2 so I could toggle between TV and another device think I'll unlearn that command and use the on demand for someting else then redo the current macros.

Currently I have both watch TV and watch PC (coming from watch TV) working now I have a better understanding and will fine tune the macros.

only remaining issuse so far is a programmed close MCE for the RCA.
Thanks STB

post #15 of 24 Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dave got the close MCE,open MCE and start windows button. I used these instructions
http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/common/RCRP05BR/RCRP05BR_OM.pdf

expanded to 200% did'nt see step 6 I was missing step six final step to save the learn. My bad.

I can confirm you can learn from a Harmony 700 to the in my opinon a better remote the RCA.
comments on the Harmony
after stop play of recorded TV (for around 5 minutes or more) I was getting video errors and no resume play major PITA I'm convinced the Harmony SE software created this glitch
because I started using the wireless mouse and never got a video error been using the RCA for a couple weeks and no video error.

the harmony's button made a loud click that will actualley wake someone up plus they feel cheap.

that dam charging everyday was getting tiresome. shaking it to see the display then the help button kindof works but really you end up pressing alot more than expected all in all the Harmony was a joke.and I can understand why there out of bussiness

Dave a couple more ?s for right now on the RCA.

1.what if any is the function of the small round dot button under fast forward? and can it be programmed?

2. what is the function of the up+/-down just under the the down navigation key? I'm thinking it's for the cable TV guide .and can it be programmed?

3. the keys on the bottom of remote PIP stuff my TV doe's have a option for PIP however the TV does'nt have a second tuner builtin so in order for me to use PIP I need to use my Magnavox DVD/HDD/tuner as a second tuner so I have to use two remote controls the TVs orginale and the (back then Harmony) RCA to swap PIP and swap TV picture, so are these PIP buttons useless to me (other than assigning macros)?

4.do you have a list of all the macros you have programmed w/ codes?

5.do you have a list of all the macros you have programmed w/ the JP1 interface cable and SW?

Thanks STB

post #16 of 24 Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

1. The dot is Record. I find it very useful. Any button (except lighted ones) can be programmed with any function or macro.

2. I use them for page up / page down in the guide. They are totally programmable like all other buttons.

3. I use PIP keys for macros and other functions. I would put your most frequently used Magnavox functions there if I were you.

4 & 5. Macros don't use codes. But I will update this post with a list of the ones on my RCA at the moment. All my programming is done by JP1. My function codes will be useless on your remote because my system is totally different than yours. My HTPC doesn't use MCE codes but Ortek codes because I have an Ortek IR dongle. Most of my setup will not apply to your situation. Since I use JP1, most of my macros are on the lighted keys and are launched using long key presses (LKP). Most of my activity macros are nested, i.e., call other macros. A short press of the power button toggles power on the active device, and a long press run a master power off macro for all devices.

EDIT: Macros Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Key/Type Steps
Main activity macros and device selection
CBL Dev_CBL;Phantom10;Dev_TV;Set_Vol;Dev_CBL;XShift-CBL Watch CBL
TV Dev_TV;Phantom10 Watch TV
DVD Dev_DVD;Phantom10 Watch Movie
AUD Dev_AUD;Phantom10;XShift-AUD Watch Movie with surround
DVR Dev_DVR;Phantom10;Phantom3 Watch HTPC
Macro1 Dev_dev4;Phantom10
dev5 Dev_dev5;Phantom10
Macro2 Dev_dev6;Phantom10 X10 device
Shift-B Dev_TV;Phantom10;DiscreteOn;Shift-8 Play PS3/Xbox
Shift-A Dev_TV;Phantom10;DiscreteOn;Shift-3 Play Wii
Shift-D Dev_CBL;DiscreteOn;Dev_TV;DiscreteOn;Shift-5;Mute;Dev_AUD;Set_Vol;DiscreteOn;1;Dev_CBL;Fav;Shift-Pause;9;3;8 Listen to Music
Xshift-A Dev_dev6;PIP_Ch+ Xmas Lights On
Xshift-C Dev_CBL;DiscreteOn;Dev_TV;DiscreteOn;Shift-Pause;Shift-5 Use PC

Master power off subroutine
Xshift-Power Dev_TV;DiscreteOff;Dev_DVR;DiscreteOff;Dev_DVD;Phantom7;Dev_AUD;DiscreteOff;Dev_dev6;PIP_Ch-;Dev_TV Master Power Off

Manual VPT select
Shift-Vol+ Dev_TV;Set_Vol TV punch thru
Shift-Vol- Dev_AUD;Set_Vol AVR punch thru

Set key groups
Phantom10 Set_Trans;Set_Vol;Set_Chan;Set_PIP;Set_Menu;Set_Other Set all Key Groups

Activity subroutines
CBL Xshift-CBL LKP(3) [Short]: [Long]:XShift-C[red] Watch Cable
AUD Xshift-AUD LKP(3) [Short]: [Long]:XShift-C[red];Dev_AUD;Set_Vol;DiscreteOn;3;Input Watch Cable with surround
DVD Xshift-DVD LKP(3) [Short]: [Long]:Dev_TV;DiscreteOn;Live;Dev_DVD;Shift-Pause;Ok;Dev_DVD;Shift-Pause;Ok Watch DVD with surround
DVR Phantom3 LKP(3) [Short]: [Long]:Fav;Dev_TV;DiscreteOn;Shift-8;Shift-Pause;Shift-8 Watch HTPC
TV Mute LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_TV;Shift-Mute [Long]:Dev_CBL;XShift-Mute

Master power macros
AUD Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_AUD;Shift-Power [Long]:XShift-Power
CBL Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_CBL;Shift-Power [Long]:XShift-Power
DVD Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_DVD;Phantom8 [Long]:XShift-Power
DVR Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_DVR;Shift-Power [Long]:XShift-Power
TV Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_TV;Shift-Power [Long]:XShift-Power

Delays used in other macros
CBL Shift-Pause Pause 0.8secs
TV Shift-Pause Pause 11.0secs
DVD Shift-Pause Pause 3.0secs

ToadTogs for PS3 and Cable Box (no longer used)
DVD Phantom8 ToadTog(0,Toggle) [On->Off]:Dev_DVD;DiscreteOff [Off->On]:;Dev_DVD;DiscreteOff
DVD Phantom7 ToadTog(0,ForceOff) [On->Off]:Dev_DVD;DiscreteOff [Already Off]:;Dev_DVD;DiscreteOff
DVD DiscreteOn ToadTog(0,ForceOn) [Already On]: [Off->On]:;Dev_DVD;Live;Shift-Pause;Ok;Shift-Pause;Ok
DVD DiscreteOff ToadTog(0,ForceOff) [On->Off]:Dev_DVD;Live;Down;Ok;Shift-Pause;Up;Ok [Already Off]:
CBL DiscreteOn ToadTog(1,ForceOn) [Already On]: [Off->On]:;AUD
CBL DiscreteOff ToadTog(1,ForceOff) [On->Off]:AUD [Already Off]:

Most of these will not make any sense to someone not familiar with JP1, as they rely heavily on extenders, phantom buttons, phantom devices, shift keys, Xshift keys, shift cloaking and ToadTogs. The device key macros work like this. A short press of a device key sets the key groups only (Phantom10). A long press sets the key groups (Phantom10), then performs all power and input functions via LKP macro (Xshift-DeviceButton Long side). This is like a typical activity macro you'd find on harmony.
post #17 of 24 Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. The dot is Record. I'v never recorded w/ this button is it like a one touch record w/in MCE that records to a HDD? I find it very useful. Any button (except lighted ones) can be programmed with any function or macro.Can any one button be programmed nurmurous times for each mode like for example in TV mode I program key 7 for watch TV can I switch to mode PC and program the 7 key for watch PC?

2. I use them for page up / page down in the guide. They are totally programmable like all other buttons.

3. I use PIP keys for macros and other functions. I would put your most frequently used Magnavox functions there if I were you. OK so since my TV only has one tuner I'll still need two remotes to sway PIP and TV channel?

4 & 5. Macros don't use codes. But I will update this post with a list of the ones on my RCA at the moment. All my programming is done by JP1. My function codes will be useless on your remote because my system is totally different than yours. My HTPC doesn't use MCE codes but Ortek codes because I have an Ortek IR dongle. Most of my setup will not apply to your situation. Since I use JP1, most of my macros are on the lighted keys and are launched using long key presses (LKP). Most of my activity macros are nested, i.e., call other macros. A short press of the power button toggles power on the active device, and a long press run a master power off macro for all devices.

EDIT: Macros Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Key/Type Steps
Main activity macros and device selection
CBL Dev_CBL;Phantom10;Dev_TV;Set_Vol;Dev_CBL;XShift-CBL Watch CBL
TV Dev_TV;Phantom10 Watch TV
DVD Dev_DVD;Phantom10 Watch Movie
AUD Dev_AUD;Phantom10;XShift-AUD Watch Movie with surround
DVR Dev_DVR;Phantom10;Phantom3 Watch HTPC
Macro1 Dev_dev4;Phantom10
dev5 Dev_dev5;Phantom10
Macro2 Dev_dev6;Phantom10 X10 device
Shift-B Dev_TV;Phantom10;DiscreteOn;Shift-8 Play PS3/Xbox
Shift-A Dev_TV;Phantom10;DiscreteOn;Shift-3 Play Wii
Shift-D Dev_CBL;DiscreteOn;Dev_TV;DiscreteOn;Shift-5;Mute;Dev_AUD;Set_Vol;DiscreteOn;1;Dev_CBL;Fav;Shift-Pause;9;3;8 Listen to Music
Xshift-A Dev_dev6;PIP_Ch+ Xmas Lights On
Xshift-C Dev_CBL;DiscreteOn;Dev_TV;DiscreteOn;Shift-Pause;Shift-5 Use PC

Master power off subroutine
Xshift-Power Dev_TV;DiscreteOff;Dev_DVR;DiscreteOff;Dev_DVD;Phantom7;Dev_AUD;DiscreteOff;Dev_dev6;PIP_Ch-;Dev_TV Master Power Off

Manual VPT select
Shift-Vol+ Dev_TV;Set_Vol TV punch thru
Shift-Vol- Dev_AUD;Set_Vol AVR punch thru

Set key groups
Phantom10 Set_Trans;Set_Vol;Set_Chan;Set_PIP;Set_Menu;Set_Other Set all Key Groups

Activity subroutines
CBL Xshift-CBL LKP(3) [Short]: [Long]:XShift-C[red] Watch Cable
AUD Xshift-AUD LKP(3) [Short]: [Long]:XShift-C[red];Dev_AUD;Set_Vol;DiscreteOn;3;Input Watch Cable with surround
DVD Xshift-DVD LKP(3) [Short]: [Long]:Dev_TV;DiscreteOn;Live;Dev_DVD;Shift-Pause;Ok;Dev_DVD;Shift-Pause;Ok Watch DVD with surround
DVR Phantom3 LKP(3) [Short]: [Long]:Fav;Dev_TV;DiscreteOn;Shift-8;Shift-Pause;Shift-8 Watch HTPC
TV Mute LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_TV;Shift-Mute [Long]:Dev_CBL;XShift-Mute

Master power macros
AUD Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_AUD;Shift-Power [Long]:XShift-Power
CBL Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_CBL;Shift-Power [Long]:XShift-Power
DVD Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_DVD;Phantom8 [Long]:XShift-Power
DVR Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_DVR;Shift-Power [Long]:XShift-Power
TV Power LKP(5) [Short]:Dev_TV;Shift-Power [Long]:XShift-Power

Delays used in other macros
CBL Shift-Pause Pause 0.8secs
TV Shift-Pause Pause 11.0secs
DVD Shift-Pause Pause 3.0secs

ToadTogs for PS3 and Cable Box (no longer used)
DVD Phantom8 ToadTog(0,Toggle) [On->Off]:Dev_DVD;DiscreteOff [Off->On]:;Dev_DVD;DiscreteOff
DVD Phantom7 ToadTog(0,ForceOff) [On->Off]:Dev_DVD;DiscreteOff [Already Off]:;Dev_DVD;DiscreteOff
DVD DiscreteOn ToadTog(0,ForceOn) [Already On]: [Off->On]:;Dev_DVD;Live;Shift-Pause;Ok;Shift-Pause;Ok
DVD DiscreteOff ToadTog(0,ForceOff) [On->Off]:Dev_DVD;Live;Down;Ok;Shift-Pause;Up;Ok [Already Off]:
CBL DiscreteOn ToadTog(1,ForceOn) [Already On]: [Off->On]:;AUD
CBL DiscreteOff ToadTog(1,ForceOff) [On->Off]:AUD [Already Off]:

Most of these will not make any sense to someone not familiar with JP1, as they rely heavily on extenders, phantom buttons, phantom devices, shift keys, Xshift keys, shift cloaking and ToadTogs. The device key macros work like this. A short press of a device key sets the key groups only (Phantom10). A long press sets the key groups (Phantom10), then performs all power and input functions via LKP macro (Xshift-DeviceButton Long side). This is like a typical activity macro you'd find on harmony.
response's in bold above.

WOW I count 35 activitys Dave you are seriously into programming a remote.

I currently have Macros
1.watch TV
2.watch PC

for just listen to FM Radio I currently press audio mode then live then key 3 (programed for tuner of AVR) I think this will be my 3rd Macro

Dave is it possiable to create a Macro on the RCA for internet Radio like all the above plus starting the PC logging on to net and tune to my internet stations then program each station to a designated key simiarl to the FM radio activity? I'm thinking all but the logging on is possiable.

would it be possiable for you to write the equivalant Harmony based activity to the left of each of you'r activitys (minus the PS3, and cable box activitys they are NA to me) so I could get some ideas on programming?
This would help me make a deshion on weather I need to be studing JP1 or just stich to codes.
Thanks STB

post #18 of 24 Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

My activities are already equivalent to harmony. There is no translation.

With JP1, each button can have at least 40 functions, so 2 is no problem.

Record is record. I don't know what else to tell you.

I don't understand why you think you need more than one remote. The RCA can control unlimited devices and your harmony can control 8.

You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be. Just make your macros do the manual steps you perform today. It's not rocket science.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My activities are already equivalent to harmony. There is no translation. ]

With JP1, each button can have at least 40 functions, so 2 is no problem.

Record is record. I don't know what else to tell you. I never used this record button on the PC all my PC recordings are timer scheduled apparently this button is not a one touch record button it just schedules a program that is currently being broadcast I'll have to try it on my DVR to see if it can be used as a OTR

I don't understand why you think you need more than one remote. usalley I only use PIP during football season here's how I do it TVs tuner is the secondary PIP, the DVRs tuner is the primary picture so when a touchdown is scored on the primary I go to last channel on TV w/ universal remote (which is the same channel as the secondardy) then go to the last channel on the secondary w/ the TVs orginale remote which is the same as the primary thus I swap bothThe RCA can control unlimited devices and your harmony can control 8.

I was under the impression the Harmony700 is only capable of controlling 6 device if it where anyone besides you I would ? this so have you figured out a way to add two addtionale devices to the 700?

You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be. Just make your macros do the manual steps you perform today. It's not rocket science.
reponses in bold above.

Dave when you turn on the Christmas lights is that a LED light stripe (from Hong Kong) behind the TV?
Thanks STB

post #20 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Harmony 700 is 8 device using myharmony, 6 device otherwise. Mine has 12 devices due to an upgrade.

Xmas lights turns on/off about half a dozen circuits in my home automation system when I want to override my timers. I don't decorate my TV for Christmas, but that's not a bad idea.

Press record once to record the current program in the guide, twice to record the series.

Add all the commands you need for PIP to one remote. No need to juggle remotes.
post #21 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Harmony 700 is 8 device using myharmony, 6 device otherwise. Mine has 12 devices due to an upgrade. I did'nt know the 700 was a 8 device even in the unrecommended myharmory SW curious if the special edtion WMC key strokes would work on the myharmony SW ? how is it possiable to upgrade? I've read that folks w/ Harmony ones can SW wise replace w/ the 700 and have more than 6 devices.

Xmas lights turns on/off about half a dozen circuits in my home automation system when I want to override my timers. I don't decorate my TV for Christmas, but that's not a bad idea.

Here's the LED stripe light I've got picked out for behind the backlight TV cabinet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-RGB-5050-5M-150LEDs-SMD-Strip-Lights24IR-Remote2A-Adapter-CAR-Decor-/170844182729

Press record once to record the current program in the guide, twice to record the series. curious if the DVR mode this record would be a one touch?

Add all the commands you need for PIP to one remote. No need to juggle remotes.
Dave I could add all the comands to the one RCA however it would require switching modes
then channels thus twice the # of press's just a little to much thinking for me exspecialley since the DVR does'nt have a previous channel button (more thinking I prefer to do as little thinking as possiable.

Here's my last ? on the RCA.
RCA RCRP05BR will I need 3 Macros to jump between 2 Macros?

I have my RCA RCRP05BR remote programmed w/ code 1972 in DVR mode (for windows 7 media center). I have a Hewlart Packgard IR reciever.
I usalley start w/ watch TV (it’s macro works fine both on and off.
Here’s my watch TV macro
1.press mode AVR
2.power on w/ live button
3.set to AV1 button #4 (which I have a button programed on the RCA for)which is actualley HDMI2
4.mode TV
5.power on TV
When I find there's nothing on TV to watch I press watch PC macro.
Since the AVR & TV are allready on, this is the watch PC macro I have.

1.press mode AVR
2.set AVR to HDMI 3 red button (which I have a button programed on the RCA for PC)
3.mode PC
4.power on PC
Now if I decide to go back to TV from PC since I like to close WMC and power down PC (actuelly to sleep) I will need another Macro correct? macro 3 TV from PC.
1.close MCE
2.mode PC
3.power off
4.press mode AVR
5.set to AV1 button #4 (which I have a button programed on the RCA for).

so now I can go back to watch TV.

I have two other devices a DVR and BD player that I intend on adding and forsee a few to many Macros for jumping back and forth between devices.
so I may just opt. to go the device route on these seldom used players .

Any suggestions would be apreciated
STB
?when it comes to turning off the TV devices I press TV macro all turn off except for the Yamaha AVR (it requires two power buttons one Live for on and power for off) so I don't see a way to add a step six and keep the AVR on for TV macro. so I'm forced to press two buttons to completely power down from watch TV macro correct?

Thanks STB

post #22 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry but I can't follow your logic. What is keeping you from putting the second set of channel controls on other buttons so you don't have to change modes?

Why can't you add the power offs for unused devices to your main macros rather than make more macros? Isn't that how your Harmony works today?

The whole point of discrete power commands is you can send them again if the device is already on or off with no effect. So just design your macros to go to an on state or off state, and everything will work out.

Your HTPC macros are too complicated. Just make a macro to turn it on, then let it go to sleep for off. Mine sleeps after 3 minutes.

If you are using WMC, why have a Watch TV macro at all? Can you not do all your TV viewing on the HTPC? Again, needlessly complex.
post #23 of 24 Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sorry but I can't follow your logic. What is keeping you from putting the second set of channel controls on other buttons so you don't have to change modes?I would'nt know where to even begin something like that.

Why can't you add the power offs for unused devices to your main macros well from TV to PC there won't be any unused devices however from PC to TV there will be unused device PC thats why I turn it off in macro3 watchTV from watchPC rather than make more macros? Isn't that how your Harmony works today yes but the Harmony has an option in activitys I can leave unused devices on or off?

The whole point of discrete power commands is you can send them again if the device is already on or off with no effect. So just design your macros to go to an on state or off state, and everything will work out. I just read what a discrete power command is discrete IR commands come in. The remote knows the TV should be on, so it can send a command that it knows will always turn the TV on, even when the TV is already on, so the command will just be ignored. This way the remote and the devices can never be out of sync. the discrete power commands are news to me the RCA instructions don't mention them. or I missinterpet them.

Your HTPC macros are too complicated. Just make a macro to turn it on, then let it go to sleep for off. Mine sleeps after 3 minutes. This sounds like a good plan however my PC will only go to sleep in WMC it will never sleep from the desktop and I do have all my power and sleep setting set correctly I have basicalley given up on the sleep issuse and am satisfied w/ it going to sleep from WMC

If you are using WMC, why have a Watch TV macro at all? Can you not do all your TV viewing on the HTPC? I only have 2 TV tuners for the PC so if I'm recording two shows simultanously I can't watch TV from PC Again, needlessly complex.
I read over these instructions
http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/common/RCRP05BR/RCRP05BR_OM.pdf
and don't see discrete power?

Thanks STB

post #24 of 24 Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't mean to be rude or too cryptic, but we've reached the point I can no longer help you. You are simply too far from understanding the concepts involved. I'll leave you with some key points and tools that you need to become familiar with: key move, key copy, lookup tool, upgrade, RM, EFC. You also need to use our wiki instructions, not instructions you linked. Those are not only useless but incorrect.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Rca Rcrp05br 5 Device Cable Replacement Universal Remote Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page