LVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post

Not yet! We will be providing hue control in a future update, though!

Timeframe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2103 Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I've run into a problem with one of my devices. I was trying to tweak some settings on my TV, brightness, contrast, etc., and find that the Ultra is not allowing me fine control of those. Oddly the arrow buttons work fine for navigation within the menu, but once I select a specific setting to tweak they jump 3-5 increments with each button press. I tried changing the repeat in the remote settings, it was set to 3 for some reason and I tried both 1 and 0, but that didn't help at all. The TV I have is a Mitsubishi 82738 RPTV.

Fortunately this isn't something I have to do often, and I can work around it easy enough, but does anybody have any ideas on other settings I could tweak?

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #273 of 2103 Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

Most equipment takes IR, aside from the PS3 and whatever else uses bluetooth, so the hub is responsible for translating the RF coming from the remote to IR to be blasted at the devices. You also specify whether the remote or hub sends IR to the devices, so it should work well for what you need it to do.

IIRC, on the ultimate, you can specify that the IR is sent from both

Shh, don't tell anybody but I have been known to splice the blaster wire to a cat5 on installations where I want the hub closer to the listening area and the equipment is possibly located out of range.
post #274 of 2103 Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filefish View Post

Shh, don't tell anybody but I have been known to splice the blaster wire to a cat5 on installations where I want the hub closer to the listening area and the equipment is possibly located out of range.

You can on the Ultimate, but not the smart control. It does make some sense, beyond the fact that the price gap between the two means it's going to be a much more basic remote. There actually is a logical reason beyond cost savings. I think the Ultimate is billed more as a premium "traditional" remote, with the smartphone/tablet features there as a bonus. I think they expect most people to spend most of their time using the actual remote, so if any devices that are being controlled by IR aren't available on the presumably more rare occasions when you use the app. The Smart Control, on the other hand, seems to be aimed more at people who want to do most of their control from the smartphone/tablet, with the physical remote just there for occasional use from friends and family. In this case, it doesn't make sense to offer IR support, because if you're using the smartphone/tablet as your primary interface, the IR from the remote won't work. You really can't have anything depending on IR from the remote if you're not going to use it as much. You have to figure out a way to get a blaster into the room from your cabinet if you're going to use the smartphone/tablet to fully control the system (regardless of which one you buy).

At least that's how I read the positioning, based largely on price. After all, why would you spend an extra >$200 for the Ultimate if you plan to primarily use the smartphone/tablet? Yes, the Ultimate supports more activities, but as long as 8 is enough for you, it seems like a great value if that's how you're going to use it.
post #275 of 2103 Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

IIRC, on the ultimate, you can specify that the IR is sent from both.

Not quite. Although the remote and the hub can send IR, you can't set BOTH to control any individual device. This is to avoid interference and/or duplicate commands reaching the device from both the remote and the hub, which could cause eratic behavior. Within an activity though, each device can be set to receive IR from either the remote or the hub. Common use of this (as most of you know) is to control a wall mounted TV or projector from the remote, while hiding everything else in an AC closet with the hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post

You can on the Ultimate, but not the smart control. It does make some sense, beyond the fact that the price gap between the two means it's going to be a much more basic remote. There actually is a logical reason beyond cost savings. I think the Ultimate is billed more as a premium "traditional" remote, with the smartphone/tablet features there as a bonus. I think they expect most people to spend most of their time using the actual remote, so if any devices that are being controlled by IR aren't available on the presumably more rare occasions when you use the app. The Smart Control, on the other hand, seems to be aimed more at people who want to do most of their control from the smartphone/tablet, with the physical remote just there for occasional use from friends and family. In this case, it doesn't make sense to offer IR support, because if you're using the smartphone/tablet as your primary interface, the IR from the remote won't work. You really can't have anything depending on IR from the remote if you're not going to use it as much. You have to figure out a way to get a blaster into the room from your cabinet if you're going to use the smartphone/tablet to fully control the system (regardless of which one you buy).

At least that's how I read the positioning, based largely on price. After all, why would you spend an extra >$200 for the Ultimate if you plan to primarily use the smartphone/tablet? Yes, the Ultimate supports more activities, but as long as 8 is enough for you, it seems like a great value if that's how you're going to use it.

A pretty good interpretation. Yes, the Harmony Ultimate is a more premium option providing all the benefits of a fully featured remote, including advanced setups with components in different spots. The expected usage is of the phone is as a secondary controller when you're in the other room, on the patio, etc. Of course many people will enjoy that interaction when on the sofa, but the product is really for those who want the best remote control. Smart Control is somewhat of the opposite, for those who want many of the Harmony benefits but are attracted the phone primarily. The companion remote recognizes that even the most passionate phone users will have at least occasional need for a dedicated remote, but it wasn't designed to do everything Ultimate does. The lack of any IR capability or backlighting on the remote enabled us to offer significant battery life improvements with the coin cell battery. We expect minimum of 1 year battery life and many people might see considerably more than that. Plus the small battery enabled the remote to be very slim.

Ian.
post #276 of 2103 Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a 650, an old 520 (still in excellent condition) and a PS3 adapter so I guess the Smart Control would be a waste of money. The old 520 can take 15 devices so I use it to load extra devices and download it to my 650. I like the size of the Harmony Touch so I'll wait for that to go on sale. The Ultimate is too pricey for a remote that basically does the same work as the 650 albeit with more flair.biggrin.gif
post #277 of 2103 Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

On the Ultimate, when configuring the Hub you only have the option to send IR from the remote or from the Hub, not both. On the smart control IR is only sent for the Hub, the smart remote sends no IR. The Both setting on the Ultimate is in regarse to sending IR from the Hum and and/or the Mini blasters. If the hub is setup to send IR from either/or the Hub, Mini Blasters, no IR is ever sent from the remote

Sorry HarmonyIan, I did not see your post
post #278 of 2103 Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 AM

The problem with using the remote for IR commands is that the web app will not turn on the TV is the hub is concealed with the equipment.

I have a current installation where the receiver and set top box are in a DWR-18-26 In the garage and all the STBs for the rest of the house are in that same enclosure. The BluRay is in another location which is more accessible to the user and the TV is in the Great room. I need controlled/shielded IR output to 4 devices (so I don't change the channel on every TV in the house). I s there a way to do this with the Harmony ultimate or should I just use an URC?
post #279 of 2103 Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Some good news regarding the Harmony line remaining with Logitech and the Ultimate Hub coming out in August. Below is the press release.

Press Releases

Logitech Introduces the Harmony Ultimate Hub, Turning iPhone and Android Smartphones into Personal Universal Remotes

Company to Retain Ownership of Harmony Remote Product Line

NEWARK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Logitech (SIX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) today announced the expansion of its universal remote control lineup with the Logitech® Harmony Ultimate Hub, an appcessory for consolidating all of your remote controls into one simple smartphone app, giving you personalized control of up to eight devices from anywhere in the house, using the smartphone you already own. The hub has previously been offered as part of the Logitech Harmony® Ultimate and Logitech Harmony® Smart Control products, and will be a standalone product for customers who prefer to control their digital experience with just a smartphone.

Logitech also announced that it plans to retain ownership of its Harmony remote product line. The company has determined that retaining ownership is in the best interest of its shareholders. The Harmony product line has gained momentum following the April introduction of the Harmony Ultimate product, which is available in major retail locations including select Apple stores in the U.S., and has exceeded the company’s expectations for customer connections.

Pricing and Availability

The Logitech Harmony Ultimate Hub is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe in August 2013, for a suggested retail price of $99.99 in the U.S. For more information, please visit www.logitech.com or our blog.
post #280 of 2103 Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Some good news regarding the Harmony line remaining with Logitech and the Ultimate Hub coming out in August. Below is the press release.

Logitech also announced that it plans to retain ownership of its Harmony remote product line. The company has determined that retaining ownership is in the best interest of its shareholders. The Harmony product line has gained momentum following the April introduction of the Harmony Ultimate product, which is available in major retail locations including select Apple stores in the U.S., and has exceeded the company’s expectations for customer connections.

Well that is welcome news indeed. I feel like they've been showing a real commitment to the brand lately, so I'm glad they've decided to carry on with it.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #281 of 2103 Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Well that is welcome news indeed. I feel like they've been showing a real commitment to the brand lately, so I'm glad they've decided to carry on with it.

I know a lot of people were holding off buying Harmony remotes because of the unknown future of support and the product line. I have to say that the Ultimate and the improved support are welcome improvements. This announcements only strengthens the customers confidence that Logitech is committed their product and their customers. HarmonyIan and HarmonySylvain have been great resources for us user. smile.gif
post #282 of 2103 Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

I know a lot of people were holding off buying Harmony remotes because of the unknown future of support and the product line. I have to say that the Ultimate and the improved support are welcome improvements. This announcements only strengthens the customers confidence that Logitech is committed their product and their customers. HarmonyIan and HarmonySylvain have been great resources for us user. smile.gif

Thanks! I hope that Sylvain and I have been helpful.

And yes, yesterday's news is confirmation of our commitment to the Harmony line and all of our current and new customers. I am pleased that many of you on AVS Forum stuck with us during the period of uncertainty.

Cheers,

Ian.
post #283 of 2103 Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 13
I'd also like to thank Logitech for releasing the new Harmony Hub. We bought a Harmony Touch as a replacement for a 900 which had failed. We've gotten used to the new remote, but some small annoyances like the lack of dedicated chapter advance and reverse buttons and the need to keep it pointed at the devices to accommodate input delays made it on the whole somewhat inferior to the 900. With the new hub and accompanying firmware update, those two issues go away, and we get the advantage of having smartphone control as an option. I look forward to buying the Hub in August.
post #284 of 2103 Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Great news that Logitech is holding tight with Harmony.

Sylvain helped me get up and running with the Ultimate. My new hub seems to be controlling everything perfectly. I really love the hue functionality. Now I just need to be able to control my Nest from this thing.
I decided to pickup the Harmony Smart control for my bedroom. I love that remote. THe action and responsivness of the actual remote buttons feels fantastic.

post #285 of 2103 Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 PM

It's about to expire now, hopefully those who had it noticed it. But for those that didn't get the email, Logitech just ran a 20% off coupon deal. They're one-time use codes only, so you need to get yourself on the list for next time, whenever it is. The last time I saw this was February, so it may be awhile again, but sign yourself up now. The coupon is good on the Ultimate -- I got mine for $280. I believe http://www.logitech.com/en-us/footer/subscription-management is where you need to sign up -- maybe Ian can confirm that's the right list.

If you do have it in your email, hurry! It expires today.
post #286 of 2103 Old 06-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
my ultimate is stuck on the"powering on watch tv screen".Any ideas on getting it to stop?
post #287 of 2103 Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavone1976 View Post

my ultimate is stuck on the"powering on watch tv screen".Any ideas on getting it to stop?
If you go into the software and select sync you should be able to connect the remote to your computer and get it working again. I mentioned the process previously, either in this thread or the other one in the announcements area.

post #288 of 2103 Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is their a way to change were the buttons are on the deviceses having arrow keys on different pages is very inconvenient
post #289 of 2103 Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

Is their a way to change were the buttons are on the deviceses having arrow keys on different pages is very inconvenient

I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at. Aren't the arrows mapped to the cursor and/or transport buttons for you? Also, you can reorder the buttons on the touchscreen through the buttons tab in the software, and I believe on the device itself by going through the menu.

post #290 of 2103 Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM

Is gonna be a nice feature to can lock the touch screen. Many times accidentally I change the channel.
post #291 of 2103 Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunn13 View Post

Crutchfield now has the Smart Control in stock.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_596SMRTCTL/Logitech-Harmony-Smart-Control.htmlwas wanting to change order of buttons on my android tablet on devices on my sony blueray player they have 3 arrow buttons on one page the 4th on 2nd page

About to place my order.

Quote:

I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at. Aren't the arrows mapped to the cursor and/or transport buttons for you? Also, you can reorder the buttons on the touchscreen through the buttons tab in the software, and I believe on the device itself by going through the menu.
post #292 of 2103 Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On the android app there is a cursor control, you can select with the button on the bottom left of the screen.

post #293 of 2103 Old 06-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Ian, any plans to offer a true tablet UI for the Android app? That includes both landscape support and a UI that makes use of the extra screen real estate. I got my first Ultimate on Thursday and liked it so much I bought a second one. smile.gif But the app needs a lot of work on the tablet. I use my tablet in landscape mode, so right off the bat any app that doesn't support that gets points deducted.

The app itself seems to work well on the phone though, and like I said, I'm very happy with the product overall.

It'd also be nice if there was a mechanism to have it sync the buttons we've configured between different instances of the app (tablet and phone). Right now I have to add them on both. I'd probably even prefer if the remote and the app shared button configuration, so I don't have to add it twice there too, but given that the layout is a little different between the remote and app, maybe that wouldn't work as well. But at least having multiple copies of the app keep their config in sync would be nice.
post #294 of 2103 Old 06-22-2013, 07:59 PM

does anyone know of any 3rd party compatible IR blasters for the Hub?
post #295 of 2103 Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnieiss View Post

does anyone know of any 3rd party compatible IR blasters for the Hub?
Most are built the same, so if you have any from any other devices you can use those, however most others use a 3.5mm jack instead of 2.5mm like the Logitech hub, so you'll have to get some adapters.

post #296 of 2103 Old 06-22-2013, 09:56 PM

perfect. Thanks.
post #297 of 2103 Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Just got the Harmony Ultimate. Like it so far but, any way of assigning the number pad to either the favorites screen or the activity screen? My wife likes to surf and I can't favorite all of the channels she like to watch. If not, then this looks like one advantage the Touch might have over the Ultimate.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #298 of 2103 Old 06-23-2013, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Start your activity and swipe left and it will take you to the numbers screen or you can set the number screen as your start up page for the activity
post #299 of 2103 Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can also set which screen appears first, and have the numbers screen appear first instead of the Favorites screen.
post #300 of 2103 Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am a Harmony One and 880 user and control my PS3 with the Logitech IRtoBT adapter, but was having problems with getting the remote to hit all the equipment (scattered across a wide cabinet) consistently, even with IR emitters etc so I thought I would go down the iRule path and bought the iTach Wifi2IR adapter.

It's en route but for the same $99 maybe I should have gotten the Harmony Hub instead. I am not wedded to IP and anyway my devices don't turn on via IP so I need IR to turn devices on. So with the adroit placing of IR emitters and with the smartphone/tablet app, I could control all my devices without worrying about pointing the remote at the right place and increase the WAF :-)

Maybe my iTach devices is going to end up on ebay!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page