Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 58Likes
post #2971 of 2993 Old 07-26-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Can the Hub emitters be extended 150 feet? Thinking about using powered IR extender system, e.g. from Xantech, to eventually move the equipment out of the family room, to the basement.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2993 Old 07-26-2015, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
Wow! Great info. This gives me a great set of suggestions in order to set everything up after we get home from Church today. Thanks for all the time you've spent helping me with this. I'll let you know how it all works later this afternoon.

Ken

Your welcome, hope it helps others in the placement of their hub.

I known you didnt ask. But heres my 2 1/2 cents.

For me at least, my experience went very well with setting up my harmony smart hub. I started with a completly new setup. Meaning I didnt choose to copy the exsisting activities i had already created for my other harmony remote.

I found using the Ipad app to intially set up the hub and create my individual activities flowed very smoothly. To me it was a huge improvement over using the desktop software and then myharmony.com. There are so many things you can tweak to get everything just right. Ya sometimes thru the various firmware versions there have been quirks. At least when they are made aware of them. Harmony seems to be comitted to improving their product via these firmware updates.

I find the biggest thing is to not be in a rush. Take one activity at a time to set up. I try to break down my activities into how I will be using my equipment. Example one activity for watching a bluray with AVR. Another for watching bluray with tv. Sometimes for me I dont need the AVR on with surround. I have some old family movies on dvds and blurays. They dont have sound. So I just need the bluray player and tv on.

IM no expert on these remotes. But I have learned a great deal from reading manuals and the many gracious members here. Who freely give their time and expertise to all of us.
post #2973 of 2993 Old 07-26-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Roku 3 Streaming Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Very good, you wont need the IR blasters at all. Your hopper can be controlled with IR signals. As confirmed by the post above and that you were able to control it previously using IR signals from the blasters.

Just so you understand the hub doesn't have to be line of sight. They designed it so that the IR signals will bounce of walls an objects to get to your devices. The IR blasters are designed for devices that would be located in a completely inclosed cabinet. Where the IR signals from the hub alone would not be able to get inside of the cabinet.

Myself I prefer setting the hub up using line of sight. I feel that it greatly decreases any possible concerns with the IR signals getting to my devices. By using line of site vs having the hub sit on top of a media cabinet it eliminates the IR signals having to bounce off of objects in your room. Then back to your devices. There is no right or wrong way when choosing placement of the hub.

Looking at your pictures of your setup. If I was setting it up. I would set the hub on top of your end table next to the lamp. Angled toward the center of your tv and devices to be controlled. It you want to hide the hub you could try and place it on the bottom shelf of your end table and see how that works. Like you were thinking. With either placement you said you had power right there.

As long as it functions properly and your devices turn on and off properly and there are no concerns with controlling your devices. That's all that matters.
I don't think this will affect anything, but thought I'd bring it up in case. While going through the computer set-up & laying out my activities, when I got to setting up my Roku 3 streaming device, a message popped up & said the following;
"The original Roku uses RF technology & can control the device through walls. Harmony uses IR commands & must have line of sight. But if you have a Harmony Hub, you can place both in a cabinet together."
Will this in any way affect the layout you suggested, which was placing the Hub on the end table next to my sofa?

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #2974 of 2993 Old 07-26-2015, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I don't think this will affect anything, but thought I'd bring it up in case. While going through the computer set-up & laying out my activities, when I got to setting up my Roku 3 streaming device, a message popped up & said the following;
"The original Roku uses RF technology & can control the device through walls. Harmony uses IR commands & must have line of sight. But if you have a Harmony Hub, you can place both in a cabinet together."
Will this in any way affect the layout you suggested, which was placing the Hub on the end table next to my sofa?

Ken

As far as I Understand. Per harmonys website and manual. The harmony hub can only send IR signals and bluetooth signals to control devices.

Per this harmony link you can look up any device you want to control. To see if it is compatible.

It states that all harmony remotes can control a roku 3.

https://support.myharmony.com/en/compatibility?utm_source=support.myharmony.com&utm _medium=homepage&utm_content=trending%20topics&utm _campaign=compatibility%20lookup&_ga=1.118141711.7 25956162.1437937147

I don't know anything about the roku. I would dig thru your roku menu and see if you can change it like the hopper to support IR signals. Read your roku manual. Look in the roku forum on AVS maybe someone there can help.

Worse case, Merry Christmas to you. Treat yourself to the latest version. If it supports IR signals. Just don't forget to act all surprised when you open the box up. Just so the wife (if your married) don't get suspicious.
post #2975 of 2993 Old 07-26-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Question Harmony Set-Up doesn't see BD Player!

Well, after hearing how easy this particular Harmony (Ultimate Home) was to set up, you might know I’d have a problem right off the bat. At the beginning of the computer set-up process, it scans & locates all devices via wi-fi & then you select those you want the Harmony to control. Well it found all my devices except my Blu-Ray player. I kept re-scanning & unplugged the power cord to the blu-ray player as suggested on the Harmony page, but I still cannot get it to list/show it. Now, I’m doing this set-up in my computer room, not in the room where my audio/video equipment is located, but I wouldn’t think that would matter & the set-up instructions only say to plug my Harmony into my computer via USB close to the Hub, which is plugged into a 110 outlet. Anyone have any idea as to why I’m having this problem? Please disregard this. I got around the problem by just copying everything from my Harmony One over to the new Ultimate Home. But I'm still not sure why it didn't find my BD player when trying to set-up the new remote from scratch as opposed to copying, but oh well.

Edit: Additional Issue;
In setting up my Roku streaming device, the Harmony software gave me a message that says "the Harmony Remote supports IP Control for Roku. Click 'Skip' to add the device as IR or 'Next' to add as IP Controllable." Can someone tell me what this means & what my best option would be? I'm certainly finding the Ultimate Home nowhere near as intuitive & user friendly as the Harmony One was. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Last edited by hearrean; 07-26-2015 at 03:06 PM.
post #2976 of 2993 Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Question Charging station for the Ultimate Home

Ok, looks like my set-up actually went well. Except for a minor hick-up getting the TV's Smart Hub set up properly, all looks pretty good.
However, here's a question. Do you guys keep your Ultimate Home in it's charging station all the time? I did so with my Harmony One & it was convenient. But on the Ultimate, it only came with one power supply to USB & I have to use that for the Hub. Any suggestions or input from others as to what you do?

Thanks,
Ken

post #2977 of 2993 Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Ok, looks like my set-up actually went well. Except for a minor hick-up getting the TV's Smart Hub set up properly, all looks pretty good.
However, here's a question. Do you guys keep your Ultimate Home in it's charging station all the time? I did so with my Harmony One & it was convenient. But on the Ultimate, it only came with one power supply to USB & I have to use that for the Hub. Any suggestions or input from others as to what you do?

Thanks,
Ken
There should be 2 AC adapters in the box for the Ultimate Home: one for the hub and one for the charging station. Was yours an open box unit? Otherwise, you're missing a component.

I do keep my Ultimate Home remote in its charging station, except when in use.

Last edited by LRS3; Yesterday at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #2978 of 2993 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like the dealer left the 2nd ac adapter out. This was a factory refurbished w/full warranty & should have included everything it originally came with. I have contacted the seller & waiting on their response.
Thanks for the reply.

Ken

post #2979 of 2993 Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Well, after hearing how easy this particular Harmony (Ultimate Home) was to set up, you might know I’d have a problem right off the bat. At the beginning of the computer set-up process, it scans & locates all devices via wi-fi & then you select those you want the Harmony to control. Well it found all my devices except my Blu-Ray player. I kept re-scanning & unplugged the power cord to the blu-ray player as suggested on the Harmony page, but I still cannot get it to list/show it. Now, I’m doing this set-up in my computer room, not in the room where my audio/video equipment is located, but I wouldn’t think that would matter & the set-up instructions only say to plug my Harmony into my computer via USB close to the Hub, which is plugged into a 110 outlet. Anyone have any idea as to why I’m having this problem? Please disregard this. I got around the problem by just copying everything from my Harmony One over to the new Ultimate Home. But I'm still not sure why it didn't find my BD player when trying to set-up the new remote from scratch as opposed to copying, but oh well.

Edit: Additional Issue;
In setting up my Roku streaming device, the Harmony software gave me a message that says "the Harmony Remote supports IP Control for Roku. Click 'Skip' to add the device as IR or 'Next' to add as IP Controllable." Can someone tell me what this means & what my best option would be? I'm certainly finding the Ultimate Home nowhere near as intuitive & user friendly as the Harmony One was. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
I'm thinking of getting the Smart Control, and I have a Roku 3. Which did you choose, "IP" or "IR"?

I'm guessing in my case (looking at Smart Control system), if I want to be able to control the Roku with the provided simple remote (which I do), "IR" makes sense...as I don't think the simple remote is an IP device. I'm thinking if you use the smartphone app, it would control it directly using the "IP" profile, but using "IR" runs it through the hub, regardless of whether you use a the app or the simple remote???
post #2980 of 2993 Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Simple Smart Remote Users...

Anyone using the Smart Control system that rarely uses the phone/tablet app? How do you like the Simple Smart Remote? Just fine? Too limited? I'm thinking about jumping in, but I'm not a smartphone remote kind of guy. This seems like a solid option that includes RF a good deal of future proofing features. But I'm looking for some user feedback.
post #2981 of 2993 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I did end up selecting the IP method & it works, so I guess I luckely made the right choice. Still not sure what it means though.

Ken
post #2982 of 2993 Old Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracepreacher View Post
How do you like the Simple Smart Remote? Just fine? Too limited?
I much prefer the simple remote. One can work it by feel in the dark, it feels more comfortable in the hand than the iPad.

To use the iPad one has to look at it, its light output messes with the cinematic experience and the connection between it and the hub is sluggish at best and unusably flaky at worse.
post #2983 of 2993 Old Today, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Anyone using the Smart Control system that rarely uses the phone/tablet app? How do you like the Simple Smart Remote? Just fine? Too limited? I'm thinking about jumping in, but I'm not a smartphone remote kind of guy. This seems like a solid option that includes RF a good deal of future proofing features. But I'm looking for some user feedback.
I too like the smart control vs the ultimate or using my tablet/phone. A remote is all about feel in my opinion. It's hard to channel surf even the little bit that I do when having to look at a tablet or touchscreen. I like hard buttons for remotes. I would own the ultimate had they not left the numerical pad off the remote. I don't use it all that much but not having it would irritate me.
post #2984 of 2993 Old Today, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the Smart Remote...I'm certain I'm not a smartphone/iPad remote guy...I was more asking if you felt like the Smart Remote had enough functions for, say 95% of your usage. Some have suggested that it doesn't have enough buttons, and more concerning to me, it appears that you cannot truly control each device, but it only operates in activity mode (please correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone find this too limiting?
post #2985 of 2993 Old Today, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on the Smart Remote...I'm certain I'm not a smartphone/iPad remote guy...I was more asking if you felt like the Smart Remote had enough functions for, say 95% of your usage. Some have suggested that it doesn't have enough buttons, and more concerning to me, it appears that you cannot truly control each device, but it only operates in activity mode (please correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone find this too limiting?
It really comes down to your usage. Do you like to tinker with surround modes or change other settings on your receiver on a regular basis? Do you use an HTPC with a lot of custom features you need to access? Do you have a lot of sources and plan to use a lot of activities? If yes then you might have issues with the Smart remote and will constantly have to use your phone or tablet to get into the deeper options.

On the other hand if you are the type of person that sets up each device once and leaves it that way, then the Smart is definitely a good option. The Smart remote has dedicated DVR, Guide, Info and Menu buttons, so most of your TV watching should be covered as well as HTPC and blu-ray functions. You also get the 4 color buttons, and everything has a long press option.

I use a Smart with my family room setup, there I have a TV, receiver, DVR, HTPC, blu-ray and Logitech Squeezebox. I haven't actually used the blu-ray on that system since I set it up last year, and knowing that would most likely be the case I buried that as a long press on one of the three activity buttons. So far I've been very satisfied with this remote on that system. It's so simple, and the battery lasts a long, long time.

In the theater I have a more complex system. But even with that I feel like I could use a Smart most of the time. I rarely use the touch-screen beyond zipping through commercials. Still when I'm doing a calibration or making other system configuration changes having the Ultimate is quite handy as it can easily be switched to device mode and control everything on my receiver.
post #2986 of 2993 Unread Today, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Some have suggested that it doesn't have enough buttons, and more concerning to me, it appears that you cannot truly control each device, but it only operates in activity mode (please correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone find this too limiting?
Since the buttons are programmable I haven't run into the not-enough-buttons thing.

I haven't had much of a need to control a device outside of an activity. I do have a few activities that are only a single device.

The main thing I use the iPad for is to fix activities that don't start correctly. I do use the iPad to control a single device occasionally, maybe several times a week. But that rarely happens as part of a normal viewing or listening session.
post #2987 of 2993 Unread Today, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
You've gotten some great advice so far. Personally, I have a Denon AVR like you, which has over 200 commands. I made a JP1 upgrade for the X4000 a while back that has about 360 commands. There's no way I could cram even a fraction of that onto a remote with only hard buttons. So the Smart wouldn't work for me at all.

Since you already have a Harmony 650, there's an easy way to find out of the Smart will work for you. Just use your 650 like normal but without ever using any of the commands on the LCD. If you can get by like that, then you won't have a problem. Otherwise, I suggest stepping up to the Ultimate line.
post #2988 of 2993 Unread Today, 05:08 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Since you already have a Harmony 650, there's an easy way to find out of the Smart will work for you. Just use your 650 like normal but without ever using any of the commands on the LCD. If you can get by like that, then you won't have a problem. Otherwise, I suggest stepping up to the Ultimate line.
That is exactly what I was thinking I would try. However, I have a little issue in that the IR emitter for the TV (my center channel blocks the TV...long story) that sends commands from my repeater has just recently gone out...at first I thought the remote was broken, bought the 650, now I know, it is the emitter, the old Sony remote is alive and well. So, I'm crippled because activities often don't start right due to the janky IR view situation. I'm cheap, so I hate to buy an emitter if I'm just going RF.

In the meantime, I suspect a good portion of whether the Smart Control will start my simple activities correctly (for the wife and kids) hinges on whether my devices have discrete commands for power and on/off, assuming the RF/IR is pretty reliable on the Smart Control, which most claim it is. It turns out that Logitech doesn't have discrete commands for my Panasonic TV, but is supposedly trying to find and add some to their database, though the promised 24 hour response window has now come and gone. All my other devices have discrete commands, so if I can have all discrete on/off/input commands, it will give me more confidence about the "activities only" nature of the Smart remote, and the lack of "help" button on it (again, thinking of the wife and kids). I can always pull out my trusty old Sony universal, or even the original remotes to mess with setup stuff, but I mostly set things up and leave them. My TV model is Panasonic TC-50PU54. It is the Costco model of the TC-P50U50...does anyone know if it has discrete power on/of and input commands and where to find them? In the meantime, the Amazon price (which was probably just matching Best Buy's sale price) on the Smart Control is back up from $100 to $130.

Last edited by Gracepreacher; Today at 06:37 PM.
post #2989 of 2993 Unread Today, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Smart does have Help as I recall. Just works a little differently.

If they don't come through with discretes, I can post them.
post #2990 of 2993 Unread Today, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Smart does have Help as I recall. Just works a little differently.
It doesn't have a HELP button on the simple remote.
post #2991 of 2993 Unread Today, 08:35 PM

Quote:
If they don't come through with discretes, I can post them.
I'll give them a little more time...but are you confirming that both ON/OFF and INPUT discretes do exist for my TV? Logitech CSR acted like a lot of Panasonic TV's don't have them.
post #2992 of 2993 Unread Today, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It doesn't have a HELP button on the simple remote.
That's why I said it works differently. I think the Help sequence runs if you press the activity button again repeatedly. At least, I think I remember reading that.

Quote:
I'll give them a little more time...but are you confirming that both ON/OFF and INPUT discretes do exist for my TV? Logitech CSR acted like a lot of Panasonic TV's don't have them.
He's clueless. Maybe really old ones don't (yours is only about 6 years old, right?), and maybe their database doesn't. But they most definitely exist for most models from the last decade. Most likely Panasonic protocol, 128.0, OBC 62 and 63 for On and Off respectively. Use your favorite Pronto Hex program to generate the code from that (IR Scrutinizer is brilliant), then email to datasupport@logitech.com. They might even be able to use just what I posted, no pronto hex required. They should also be able to get the codes from other Panny models. Those codes haven't changed in many years. I spot checked several models from 2005 to the present, and they're still exactly the same and work with most models.

But don't let me talk you into a Smart. That's not my intention.
post #2993 of 2993 Unread Today, 09:43 PM

Quote:
But don't let me talk you into a Smart. That's not my intention.
I know you'd much rather me spend less and learn more with a JP1 remote. And in another phase of life, I probably would have. I still have a OFA 9910 that I mess with for the bedroom setup, actually. But I think I'll likely give the Smart Control a try for the living room. It just seems to make sense there. You have been a huge help, mdavej, and I thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page