Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 66Likes
post #3061 of 3089 Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron49 View Post
How long does your Ultimate hold a charge?

I've had mine for about 5 months now and in the last 3 or 4 weeks I can only expect 3 or 4 hrs before it goes dead.

Any suggestions?

See if there are any updates for it? I mentioned this same issue above. I connect my remote to my PC (not sure if it can be done wireless???) and updated it and all is fine. This has happened twice so far. Not very happy with having to do this but at least it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3089 Old 08-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post
See if there are any updates for it? I mentioned this same issue above. I connect my remote to my PC (not sure if it can be done wireless???) and updated it and all is fine. This has happened twice so far. Not very happy with having to do this but at least it works.
Thanks I'll try that.

SONY XBR75X850C; OPPO 95; DENON 4308CI; PS Audio P10 Power Plant; Sony FMP-X10; (2) Mirage OMD-15, (2) OMD-R, (2) OMD-5, Omni S10, OMD-C2; Apple AirPort Extreme_ac network; Comcast Internet 150 MBs; Harmony Ultimate Home w/Hub;
post #3063 of 3089 Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is there a way to add favorites to 2 activities?

2-RTi-10's 1-CSi5 2-TSi400 6-r150's 1-Velodyne DPS-12(rebuilt power supply with new cap's and rectifier), 1-18-22 UM powered by Behringer 3000DSP
Yamaha RX-A3030 and Emotiva XPA-200
PS3-4, Apple TV, Directv Genie, and custom built PC 8core and 16 gigs of ram w/ bluray everything on a half rack on wheels in closet except pc,
Samsung UN65F7100
post #3064 of 3089 Old 08-21-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know there have been a few posts about IR and the blasters, but I can't seem to find the answer I need before ordering. My setup has all my rack equipment in a different room than my theater, and there is no door on my rack. If i put the hub on the rack, it will just be on a shelf, so I dont think it will be able to blast to source is that is say directly above it or maybe a few feet above it. So i can see using the mini blaster. But where would be a good inconspicuous spot to put that? I dont want it on my ceiling. If i put in on the rack, in the middle somewhere, should that cover my 42U rack? If i need to use emitters, is there a way to use 8-10 emitters with just 1 hub port?

The other issue is the projector, which does not have line of sight to the rack, because of doors. But I did run a 3.5mm cable from rack to PJ. Can i simply plug that into 1 of the 2 ports?

Thanks for the help, if I can get my questions answered I'll probably order the Ultimate to be used in the theater and iPad minis for other areas in the basement.
post #3065 of 3089 Old 08-21-2015, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post
I know there have been a few posts about IR and the blasters, but I can't seem to find the answer I need before ordering. My setup has all my rack equipment in a different room than my theater, and there is no door on my rack. If i put the hub on the rack, it will just be on a shelf, so I dont think it will be able to blast to source is that is say directly above it or maybe a few feet above it. So i can see using the mini blaster. But where would be a good inconspicuous spot to put that? I dont want it on my ceiling. If i put in on the rack, in the middle somewhere, should that cover my 42U rack? If i need to use emitters, is there a way to use 8-10 emitters with just 1 hub port?
You can use splitters with the ports. But you can also try aiming the hub to point at the wall opposite the rack front and the IR might bounce back and hit all the devices just fine. That's the way some of my devices are controlled.

Quote:
The other issue is the projector, which does not have line of sight to the rack, because of doors. But I did run a 3.5mm cable from rack to PJ. Can i simply plug that into 1 of the 2 ports?

Thanks for the help, if I can get my questions answered I'll probably order the Ultimate to be used in the theater and iPad minis for other areas in the basement.
That might work, keep in mind you'll need 2.5mm adapters since the Harmony hub uses that instead of standard 3.5mm ports. What I do for my PJ is use IR on the Ulimate. It bounces off the screen and hits the projector. Works most of the time so long as I point the remote at the screen when I power things on and off.
post #3066 of 3089 Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
You can use splitters with the ports. But you can also try aiming the hub to point at the wall opposite the rack front and the IR might bounce back and hit all the devices just fine. That's the way some of my devices are controlled.

That might work, keep in mind you'll need 2.5mm adapters since the Harmony hub uses that instead of standard 3.5mm ports. What I do for my PJ is use IR on the Ulimate. It bounces off the screen and hits the projector. Works most of the time so long as I point the remote at the screen when I power things on and off.
Good advice here, thanks, will get it ordered.
post #3067 of 3089 Old 08-21-2015, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any of you know why the screen won't shut off on my Harmony Ultimate? Never happened before, but suddenly has become an issue.
post #3068 of 3089 Old 08-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post

I can't seem to get this picture to show in AVS forum but if you goto
http://webpages.charter.net/rotohead/
you should be able to see it.
Not the best picture but you can see I have a mini at the top and another at the bottom of my 'rack' and the hub sits on top of my Denon AVR. I get good coverage to all components you see in the pic.
Hope this helps.

edit: Ever since my encounters with Windows 10 my editors are not working. Sorry. If you want to email me at this address I will be glad to send you the image.
rotohead1@yahoo.com

Last edited by rotohead; 08-21-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: corrections
post #3069 of 3089 Old 08-21-2015, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Any of you know why the screen won't shut off on my Harmony Ultimate? Never happened before, but suddenly has become an issue.
That's been mentioned a lot here, just do a sync or check for a firmware update. Anything that causes the Ultimate to kind of reset itself will get it back to normal.
post #3070 of 3089 Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 58
argh...insteon part of my harmony remote SUCKS! Can't find devices, reports devices wrong and in general needs work. Luckily I can still control the important stuff via the IR, but I am hoping Harmony devotes a bit more time to get it working better with my Hub..
Loving all my discrete codes for my new receiver though..
post #3071 of 3089 Old 08-22-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
That's been mentioned a lot here, just do a sync or check for a firmware update. Anything that causes the Ultimate to kind of reset itself will get it back to normal.

Thanks. Rebooted and updated and she seems to work fine.
post #3072 of 3089 Old 08-24-2015, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am currently using Roomie Remote but I am thinking about switching to this remote due to the physical buttons. I control a lot of my equipment now with IP. I enjoy the two way feedback but don't use it a whole bunch. I know that is something that I would eliminate with this remote.

Has anyone used Roomie Remote and switched to the Ultimate? If so what feedback would you have about the switch? Good? Bad?

Also can this remote control a mac mini that I have Plex running on? Thanks
post #3073 of 3089 Old 08-24-2015, 02:11 PM

Insteon part of my remote is going to make me hurt someone! Anyone have any better luck than me? Am I the only one using Insteon?
post #3074 of 3089 Old 08-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Insteon part of my remote is going to make me hurt someone! Anyone have any better luck than me? Am I the only one using Insteon?
I control Insteon from my Harmony and it has worked great for the past year, but am still using the IRLinc Receiver. I guess, based on what I've read, I'll put off switching to direct control via the Hub for awhile.

Samsung UN75HU8500FXZA Golf/TS01; LG BP540 Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos 5.1.4; Denon X4100W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
post #3075 of 3089 Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
I control Insteon from my Harmony and it has worked great for the past year, but am still using the IRLinc Receiver. I guess, based on what I've read, I'll put off switching to direct control via the Hub for awhile.
You can keep both options in the Harmony remote! Thank God or I would NOT be happy. I was using the IR LINC and it works great but direct control SUCKS. You can go ahead and try it, you will not affect your usage via IRLINC. Maybe you will have better luck than me..
jrogers likes this.
post #3076 of 3089 Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone using this remote to control Plex on a mac?
post #3077 of 3089 Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Considering the Harmony Ultimate, but I'm really not sure if it is going to provide the functionality I need... maybe someone here can help me out:

I know it will provide this functionality:

-Enable activities such as watch tv (cable), watch smart tv (switch audio input on AVR), watch chromecast, watch blu-ray, watch PC, watch Amazon Fire TV, Listen to Music outside, etc, etc

I do not know if it will allow for full use of my Xfinity X1 box, since there are no numbers on the remote:

-In particular, my daughter will say "I want to watch Doc McStuffins"...I type "362" and Doc McStuffins pops up and I can play it right away... she says "I want to watch Sofia the First"...I type "76342" and Sofia pops up and I can play it right away.... I say "I want to watch Hard Knocks"... I type "4273" and boom, there is Hard Knocks... any show instantly searchable with just a few clicks

Any way to have the touchscreen be a number pad? Anyone else running into this dilemma? How are you handling it?

Thanks!

On edit: Did more digging and have found that touchscreen number pad is possible. Is anyone using this? Happy with it?

TVs: LN46A630, UN65JU7100

Last edited by Moze1021; 08-26-2015 at 10:10 AM.
post #3078 of 3089 Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use the number pad & it works fine. I have a Touch so it doesn't have the haptic feedback like the Ultimate, which I think would be a lot better.
Are the numbers you're punching in channel numbers (I'm in Canada)? If they are, you can program in favourite channels. They'll show as the broadcaster logo with the channel number below it. A lot easier than typing in the numbers.
post #3079 of 3089 Old 08-26-2015, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
I use the number pad & it works fine. I have a Touch so it doesn't have the haptic feedback like the Ultimate, which I think would be a lot better.
Are the numbers you're punching in channel numbers (I'm in Canada)? If they are, you can program in favourite channels. They'll show as the broadcaster logo with the channel number below it. A lot easier than typing in the numbers.
Thanks for the feedback!

And, No, with the X1 box you use the numbers to spell what you want to watch... so when you type 4 (GHI) - 2 (ABC) - 6 (MNO) - 3 (DEF), the X1 system has an algorithm that predicts the most popular programming that can be spelled using those numbers... in this case it would be GAME of Thrones... then you can hit "Enter" and see all the episodes available on demand, on your dvr, or when its coming on live in the future, all categorized by season and episode number.

TVs: LN46A630, UN65JU7100
post #3080 of 3089 Old 08-26-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moze1021 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

And, No, with the X1 box you use the numbers to spell what you want to watch... so when you type 4 (GHI) - 2 (ABC) - 6 (MNO) - 3 (DEF), the X1 system has an algorithm that predicts the most popular programming that can be spelled using those numbers... in this case it would be GAME of Thrones... then you can hit "Enter" and see all the episodes available on demand, on your dvr, or when its coming on live in the future, all categorized by season and episode number.
The num pad on Harmony does display 4 GHI, etc., so you should be able to make it work.
post #3081 of 3089 Old 08-27-2015, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, no reason it shouldn't work.
That's a really cool feature of the X1. I wish Bell had it up here.
post #3082 of 3089 Old 08-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hopeful someone can help. I have a Harmony Ultimate and although time zone is correct, the time on remote is 45 minutes behind. I have tried syncing remote to PC, resetting remote, still no luck.

Its more of an annoyance than anything.... Am I missing something?

Ty
post #3083 of 3089 Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by met64 View Post
Hopeful someone can help. I have a Harmony Ultimate and although time zone is correct, the time on remote is 45 minutes behind. I have tried syncing remote to PC, resetting remote, still no luck.

Its more of an annoyance than anything.... Am I missing something?

Ty
Try removing the power from the hub for a few minutes. Then, after turning the hub back on, re-sync the remote.
met64 likes this.
post #3084 of 3089 Old 08-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post
Try removing the power from the hub for a few minutes. Then, after turning the hub back on, re-sync the remote.
Thank you, LRS3^ your suggestion fixed it!
post #3085 of 3089 Old 08-29-2015, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Multiple tablets?

I'm thinking of picking up a Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home, but have a question...sorry if this has already been asked/answered previously.

I would like to know if I can use multiple tablets to access a single hub to control the TV or other devices. I'm hoping I can use either mine or the wife's tablet to control the TV (or even our iPhones). Has anyone been able to do this?
post #3086 of 3089 Old 08-29-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne905 View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home, but have a question...sorry if this has already been asked/answered previously.

I would like to know if I can use multiple tablets to access a single hub to control the TV or other devices. I'm hoping I can use either mine or the wife's tablet to control the TV (or even our iPhones). Has anyone been able to do this?
http://myharmony.com/en-gb/products/...-hub/features/

Up to five. So as long as you're not a polygamist, you're good to go

But seriously, if you want to use phones/tablets exclusively, then you don't need any Harmony hardware at all, only iRule or Roomie.
post #3087 of 3089 Old 08-30-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moze1021 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm 99% sure the num pad on the touch screen, and I am sure you can either program these quick numbers to favorite channelso load up a good logo as the channel logo, say main character of your kids shows so even if they can't read yet they can operate this themselves.

If the favorite function doesn't work, you should at the very least be able to setup macros in the touch screen called "game of thrones" and it will send 4263 to the device.
post #3088 of 3089 Old 08-30-2015, 05:22 PM

sigh...the Insteon app for the HUB seems to be getting "better". Now instead of not doing anything it only took 16 seconds to execute a simple "light off" command. 16 seconds!!! "Ain't nobody got time for 'DAT"
post #3089 of 3089 Unread Today, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any chance we get IP Control for DIRECTV boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page