Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter D View Post
Why do you say that ARC is BS? It's working great for me.
Carter
If you have the right combination of devices and ARC works then consider yourself lucky. There is no way to know if it will work properly until you try it. I install home theater systems for a living and I have been battling ARC - HDMI-CEC since it was invented. I have even walked away from systems that were functioning perfectly with ARC and along comes a software update on a TV that will screw everything up.

As long as it works for you, then enjoy it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've had 2 Harmony Ultimate's working fine for me for a few years now with no problems. But now in the last month or so, I try to send a command for anything and even though it appears to be sending something, nothing happens. It does this for a few minutes then goes back to normal. Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
I've had 2 Harmony Ultimate's working fine for me for a few years now with no problems. But now in the last month or so, I try to send a command for anything and even though it appears to be sending something, nothing happens. It does this for a few minutes then goes back to normal. Any ideas?
Resync

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
Old 04-02-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks,

I did a resync and I updated the remotes. I didn't realize they needed a software update, since it didn't pop up on the screen and tell me.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks,

I did a resync and I updated the remotes. I didn't realize they needed a software update, since it didn't pop up on the screen and tell me.
Happy for you. The remote itself does not communicate with the online application except when connected.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

Old 04-03-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't it used to pop up messages about your remote needs to be updated?
Old 04-03-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Didn't it used to pop up messages about your remote needs to be updated?
Not to my knowledge.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I noticed this starting to happen on my PS4 activity, not a big deal in my eyes as all the other activities work fine.

On a side note, is it so hard for Harmony to give an option to NOT use bluetooth for consoles? (yes I know you can just "not" set it up) but then you have to wait forever while switching activity because it "looks" every time.

why wouldn't I want control of my bluetooth consoles you might be asking. Reason being I hate how it takes up a controller spot, it makes playing with 2 people on the WiiU very annoying!

65JS9500
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk Audio 7.1
Old 04-04-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you control Apps like Vudu and Netflix on the PS4 using the Harmony? It controls my PS4 but not the Apps once I launch them.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Can you control Apps like Vudu and Netflix on the PS4 using the Harmony? It controls my PS4 but not the Apps once I launch them.
I am pretty sure it works for apps (I don't use the apps too often in my PS4)

I can confirm it works in the main menu and up to the blu ray menu, but as soon as you play a movie the only thing that will work is the up arrow (which will bring up the pop up menu)

65JS9500
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk Audio 7.1
Old 04-04-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse01 View Post
I noticed this starting to happen on my PS4 activity, not a big deal in my eyes as all the other activities work fine.

On a side note, is it so hard for Harmony to give an option to NOT use bluetooth for consoles? (yes I know you can just "not" set it up) but then you have to wait forever while switching activity because it "looks" every time.

why wouldn't I want control of my bluetooth consoles you might be asking. Reason being I hate how it takes up a controller spot, it makes playing with 2 people on the WiiU very annoying!
Have you tried resyncing your One? On a more drastic note, completely reprogramming your U One.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Have you tried resyncing your One? On a more drastic note, completely reprogramming your U One.
It happens so rarely that I don't even care usually, in fact now that I think of it, it has not happened in a few weeks now
49Merc likes this.

65JS9500
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk Audio 7.1
Old 04-05-2016, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I am pretty sure it works for apps (I don't use the apps too often in my PS4)

I can confirm it works in the main menu and up to the blu ray menu, but as soon as you play a movie the only thing that will work is the up arrow (which will bring up the pop up menu)
My PS4 does not evene turn on with my harmony ultimate.Have to turn it on with controller then I can use my remote.Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-05-2016, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post
My PS4 does not evene turn on with my harmony ultimate.Have to turn it on with controller then I can use my remote.Any help would be greatly appreciated
I intentionally set mine that way since the Harmony cannot really control the PS4 - not even the movie player which is all I wanted.

I have a PS4 activity that does not include the PS4. Thinking about doing the same to the PS3 because the Harmony never turns it off when I switch activities. Although, maybe the power setting is wrong....hmmmm....
Old 04-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Guys-

New to Harmony need some quick advice???

Coming from URC/Irule world of remotes, Harmony ultimate one is a welcome addition. Loading devices and setting up simple activities was a breeze as you know, 10-20 min.

My setup is a dedicated theater with an equipment room for all my gear. The projector in the theater is probably a 30 ft run cable wise. I want to of course sit in theater chair use IR on the remote to control the projector, and control the gear in the equipment room...I have not bought any hub yet...

Q1) Is there a Harmony Hub solution that would be better for me than buying 3rd party highly rated IR-RF remote extender on Amazon? (highly rated one) In the equipment room I need IR control of media player, bluray player, pre-pro, DirecTV..thats it

Q2) If I setup customized sequence on the remote, can it be installed on the screen or only hard buttons? and if only hard buttons, can you make some lable for it or you just have to memorize it...for instance if I want a sequence of buttons presses for 1.78 movie vs 2.40 Aspect ratio on the projector...do you have to remember its the red button?

thanks Vince
Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince32837 View Post
Guys-

New to Harmony need some quick advice???

Coming from URC/Irule world of remotes, Harmony ultimate one is a welcome addition. Loading devices and setting up simple activities was a breeze as you know, 10-20 min.

My setup is a dedicated theater with an equipment room for all my gear. The projector in the theater is probably a 30 ft run cable wise. I want to of course sit in theater chair use IR on the remote to control the projector, and control the gear in the equipment room...I have not bought any hub yet...

Q1) Is there a Harmony Hub solution that would be better for me than buying 3rd party highly rated IR-RF remote extender on Amazon? (highly rated one) In the equipment room I need IR control of media player, bluray player, pre-pro, DirecTV..thats it

Q2) If I setup customized sequence on the remote, can it be installed on the screen or only hard buttons? and if only hard buttons, can you make some lable for it or you just have to memorize it...for instance if I want a sequence of buttons presses for 1.78 movie vs 2.40 Aspect ratio on the projector...do you have to remember its the red button?

thanks Vince
1) The Harmony Hub is far more functional overall than any 3rd party IR-RF solution. In addition to IR/RF, it does bluetooth, wifi (for IP control) and wifi sync with your remote and any smartphones you use as remotes. It also integrates with the Hub Extender which adds more protocols for additional lighting systems, Zigbee, etc. The only drawback of the hub is the limited number of blaster ports. But you can safely double or triple those using simple splitters.

2) Sequences can go anywhere. Activity macros can only go on activity buttons or the screen. You are free to use the label maker of your choice to make any sort of labels you can imagine and stick them anywhere you like But seriously, you give every sequence macro a name which you can see in the software, obviously not on the remote itself if it is only on a hard button.

Also keep in mind that you can have a long press and a short press perform different functions on each button. Gestures can also perform different functions.

May I ask why you did you get the old Ultimate instead of the current Elite?

And since you have already set up your remote, why not just try to make a sequence yourself? It takes longer to describe how it works than it would for you to actually do it.
SpaceMind likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 04-05-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I agree with mdavej. I have the Ultimate, which is a fine remote. But the Elite I have upstairs is far better. More hard buttons, but still the big, usable screens.

The (included) Harmony hub works well for both remotes. And the Android app works quite well for me as well. I'd rather use the remote, but the phone works in a pinch.

I mainly use the screen on the Elite for the Activity buttons (the only place for them) and the channel favorites. A nice colored channel logo, one press to turn to that channel. And the hard buttons for the normal operations. The long/short press works out for commercial skip vs fast forward, or something like that.

The Elite also has some home automation abilities that I haven't had time to delve into yet. But I'm quite excited for it.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:22 PM

mdavej & Nick,

Thanks for the quick replies...

I picked up the ultimate vs the Elite to save $50-150 bucks...on sale at Best Buy for 199...I could return it for the Elite if required.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the hub requires line of Sight to the remote(Elite or Ultimate). Meaning I would have to install the hub in the theater, for IR direct or wifi(IP) control of the projector. I would then have to run 30 ft emitter lines back into the equipment room, then split 1-2 Emitter lines to get to 4-5 components. Won't the IR signal be pretty weak over that distance and split?

need a 2 hub solution?

Is the above scenario correct or am I missing the boat?...

thanks Vince
Old 04-05-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Completely missing the boat. Of course you don't need line of sight. That would defeat the purpose of any RF remote.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the hub requires line of Sight to the remote(Elite or Ultimate).
My hub is in a closet behind a door and a wall and it works fine with my Smart Remote. Then I have the included mini blaster come out and hang on the ceiling for the equipment on the rack and the TV. I don't think anyone knows it's there but me.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just tried to edit an activity on my Elite via the app and was told that I had to update the hub's firmware. Fair enough I thought and clicked yes; it started to download the configiration, but then got to 25% and hung . I Googled the issue and found this on the Logitech forum.

Obviously the recommended option #1 (reboot the hub) didn't work .

Has anyone else had this problem and if so is it safe to do the suggestion #2 (factory reset) option . Do all devices and activities automatically sync back onto the hub and remote and to the app on all iDevices? I'd hate to have to enter the whole lot again...
Old 04-06-2016, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I own the Ultimate One. Is there enough advantages in upgrading to the Elite to warrant the Elite's price?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I own the Ultimate One. Is there enough advantages in upgrading to the Elite to warrant the Elite's price?
The main advantage for me is the Transport buttons being below the LCD screen
49Merc likes this.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, to get a Harmony with a hub. That alone is enough reason
49Merc likes this.

65JS9500
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk Audio 7.1
Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
mdavej & Nick,

Thanks for the quick replies...

I picked up the ultimate vs the Elite to save $50-150 bucks...on sale at Best Buy for 199...I could return it for the Elite if required.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the hub requires line of Sight to the remote(Elite or Ultimate). Meaning I would have to install the hub in the theater, for IR direct or wifi(IP) control of the projector. I would then have to run 30 ft emitter lines back into the equipment room, then split 1-2 Emitter lines to get to 4-5 components. Won't the IR signal be pretty weak over that distance and split?

need a 2 hub solution?

Is the above scenario correct or am I missing the boat?...

thanks Vince
Exact opposite. You do not need LOS to the hub. But need LOS from the blasters, which are attached with a wire to the hub.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:27 AM

Thanks guys for setting me straight
I was impressed my obscure Korean mede8er media player was in Harmony online database!

Vince
Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Exact opposite. You do not need LOS to the hub. But need LOS from the blasters, which are attached with a wire to the hub.
Actually...no

the blasters and hubs are for getting the IR signals to the hub. They bounce off the walls to get the info back to the hub. The remote communicates only with the hub (via RF), that is why you can use the remote in other rooms etc...

or maybe that is what you were saying?

65JS9500
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk Audio 7.1
Old 04-06-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually...no

the blasters and hubs are for getting the IR signals to the hub. They bounce off the walls to get the info back to the hub. The remote communicates only with the hub (via RF), that is why you can use the remote in other rooms etc...

Yeah . . . you don't need LOS from the remote to the hub.

I was a little ambiguous, but I was responding to his question
Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the hub requires line of Sight to the remote(Elite or Ultimate).
Old 04-06-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Actually...no

I can't believe we have to debate this. The hub does not receive any IR signals from anything. There is no info transmitted to a hub via IR in any way. The hub and blasters send IR to other devices, not the other way around.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I can't believe we have to debate this. The hub does not receive any IR signals from anything. There is no info transmitted to a hub via IR in any way. The hub and blasters send IR to other devices, not the other way around.
Edit: You are right, I was wrong....

I stand corrected.

65JS9500
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk Audio 7.1

Last edited by Eclipse01; 04-06-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control