AVS Forum banner
461K views 4K replies 729 participants last post by  flyers10 
#1 · (Edited)
Harmony Ultimate and Smart Remotes FAQ
1. General information:
  1. What are Harmony remotes?
    Harmony remotes are a line of remote controls now owned and developed by Logitech. They are highly customizable programmable remote controls that are activity based rather than device based.
  2. What does “activity based” mean?
    “Activity based” means the remote is customized based on the Activity you are using it for. So if you are watching TV using a DVR and a A/V receiver the volume controls will change the volume on the receiver and the channel and transport controls will work on the DVR. After programming in your devices with the Logitech software you set up Activities. The software walks you through the process of choosing the devices needed for an activity, which inputs each device needs to select and how the devices are powered on.
  3. In a nutshell, what are the hardware components?
    The Ultimate is a full featured universal, programmable remote with 27 hard buttons and a touchscreen and is based on the Harmony Touch. The Smart remote is similar in appearance to the Ultimate but lacks the touchscreen and some of the other capabilities of the Ultimate. The final piece is the Ultimate Hub, both remotes communicate with the Hub via RF. Also, Logitech has apps for Android and iOS that allow control via a wifi connection to the Hub.
  4. How do I program the remote?
    The Harmony remotes are configured through the Logitech MyHarmony.com website. You create an account there and connect your devices to your PC in order to associate them with it. *Update* The software is now available in a downloadable form and it no longer requires visiting the website to use. Other than that it is fundamentally the same.
  5. What platforms are supported by the software?
    Only Windows and Mac so far that I know of. The software is based on Silverlight and is run in a browser. It might be possible to get it running on Linux, but I’m not aware of how.
  6. What protocols do these remotes support?
    IR for the most part, with bluetoogh available for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Wii. TCP/IP control is used for Philips Hue lights and Sonos.
  7. My other Harmony remotes supported Z-Wave, does this one?
    No. You’ll have to use something that converts IR to Z-Wave.
  8. What about controlling other devices via bluetooth or TCP/IP?
    Some devices are supported via IP or bluetooth. These include but are not limited to Phillips Hue lights, Nest Thermostat, Lutron, as well as some Lutron, Honeywell, SmartThings connected home devices, the August Smart Lock, Ecobee wireless thermostats, LIFX Wi-Fi LED smart lights, and the Insteon Hub model 2245-222. See here for more info.
  9. Is device X supported?
    Is it IR? If so the answer is yes. Logitech has a huge database off IR commands. Also they are expanding it all the time. With the Ultimate you can learn your own IR commands. With the Smart control you can learn IR using the Hub.
    If your device is not IR and is not specifically mentioned above then it is most likely not supported.
  10. Where can I get more info?
    Naturally Logitech's Harmony page is a great place to start as well as their support site. Another handy resource is the Harmony Release Notes web page.
  11. I heard Logitech is looking to sell off the Harmony line. Is this true?
    It was true. In January of 2013 Logitech announced that they were looking for a buyer for the Harmony line. However in June after the release of the Ultimate line they announced that they would be retaining Harmony after all.
  12. Is the author of this FAQ an employee of Logitech?
    Nope. I’ve never worked for them and nothing I say should be taken as absolute. Prior to the Ultimate I owned a couple of Harmony 890’s, and I have experience with other programmable remotes in the past.
  13. Is this FAQ 100% accurate?
    I hope so, but probably not. Feel free to PM me any issues you find with it.
2. Hardware information:
  1. How do I initially program the devices?
    After setting up an account on myharmony.com you’ll be prompted to plug in the devices via micro-USB. The Hub and Ultimate charging station are also powered via micro-USB using power adapters provided by Logitech.
  2. How often do I have to connect the remote and hub to my PC?
    Unlike previous Harmony remotes, not very often. Some firmware updates require a connection, but otherwise updates are done over the RF connection.
  3. How good is the RF connection?
    Very good. My Hub is located in a metal rackmount case in the room next to my theater and it has no issues. I can also use it from 30’ away on the same floor. If I go to the first floor and try and use it from a good distance away it’s not completely reliable.
  4. How strong is the IR?
    Most people have reported that the IR from the Ultimate remote or the hub is pretty strong. IR needs line of sight, of course, but it can bounce off walls or other objects with some degree of success.
  5. What emitters can be used?
    The Hub comes with 2 IR emitters, and also has an integrated IR emitter. The Hub does use 2.5mm connectors instead of the near industry standard of 3.5mm (common headphone jack size, also known as ⅛”). The connections are mono connectors, but stereo cables and adapters can be used. 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female connectors are available and can be used with the Hub just fine. I personally use 2 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters and then 3.5mm Y cables so I can connect the IR emitters I have from my Harmony 890 as well as use the direct IR inputs on my Denon receiver, Oppo blu-ray player, and Logitech Transporter, all of which use 3.5mm (even the Logitech device).
  6. Can the remote send IR or is it just the Hub?
    The Ultimate is capable of IR, the Smart remote is not. In the MyHarmony software you can choose whether the Ultimate or the Hub sends IR. Go to Settings and choose "Remote and Hub Assignments". From there you can assign a device to the Ultimate or the Hub, and with the Hub you can choose whether the Hub and IR ports are used, or narrow it down to the Hub or a specific port.
2. Ultimate specific information:
  1. How big is the Ultimate?
    It’s just over 7” long and 2” wide and is fairly light.
  2. What’s with the odd shape?
    The underside is textured and contoured so it rests in your hand nicely and can be slid back and forth for easy access to all buttons.
  3. Is it odd to have the transport buttons separate from the rest of the buttons?
    This feature usually bothers people when they see it, but few, if any, have complained after using it. First, as mentioned above, moving the remote in your hand to access the different buttons is quite easy. Second, if you think about it, you don’t often manipulate the transport buttons and other controls at the same time. This design actually separates the buttons so that you no longer accidentally hit the channel buttons or cursor controls when you mean to operate the transport controls. While my 890 was fairly easy to operate I’ve used other remotes where the transport block and cursor block were quite similar and thus more difficult to operate without looking at the remote.
  4. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of buttons on this remote, what’s up with that?
    No, compared to many universal/programmable remotes it is lacking in buttons, but believe me when I say they aren’t missed. More on this below.
  5. What’s the deal with the short press/long press?
    All hard buttons can actually hold two commands, one off a short press, the other off a long press of the button. The remote will vibrate to let you know it when it detects a long press.
  6. Where’s the keypad?
    In the touchscreen. It may seem odd to see a high-end remote without a keypad, but if you stop an think about it, how often do you need it? The Ultimate also has a Favorites screen where up to 50 channels can be programmed in for instant access, thus reducing the need of the keypad. I personally have not needed the keypad once since I started using the remote.
  7. There’s only one set of FF/RWD buttons, where the skip/back or next/previous chapter buttons?
    This is probably the most controversial design decision. Logitech chose to put just one set of buttons for those common controls, whereas most devices have two sets. The missing functions can be accessed via long press or by using swipe gestures on the touch screen (more on those below). Once you adapt to this, it’s not really a problem.
  8. Any other missing buttons I should be aware of?
    The only other missing buttons anyone has brought up so far are the extra set of Up/Down buttons that some people used for functions like page up/page down.
  9. Any extra buttons?
    Unlike many previous Harmony remotes the common red, green, yellow and blue buttons are now included at the bottom of the remote.
  10. What does the touchscreen do?
    The touchscreen has multiple modes. First it is the home screen where you select the activity you want to run. You can return to the home screen by swiping to the left or pressing the Home button. The second screen is the Favorites screen, used to select a favorite channel from your primary TV Activity. The third screen is custom commands that don’t fit on any of the hard buttons. The fourth screen is the numeric keypad. Also, if you swipe up on those screens you will be taken to the gesture screen. From there you can activate various function via swiping up/down, left/right or tapping.
  11. Can I configure the remote using the remote itself?
    Some configuration settings can be changed via the remote. On the touchscreen in the lower right corner is an icon that consists of three horizontal lines. Tapping this brings up a configuration menu. You can change the default screen an activity goes to on activation, button order, and many other settings. Also this is where you initiate a sync with the MyHarmony software when updating your configuration.
  12. How many devices does the Ultimate remote support?
    The Ultimate remote can control up to 15 devices.
  13. How long does it last on a charge and how long does it take to charge?
    The remote can last for several days, I've used mine 5 or 6 days without recharging. I haven't timed how long it takes to fully charge, but it's no more than a few hours.
  14. Can I change the battery?
    The remote was not designed to have the battery changed by the owner. There are instructions provided with the remote to remove the battery when disposing of the remote, so if the dis-assembly of the remote doesn't cause damage presumably one day someone will provide a replacement battery for it.
  15. My remote seems to have locked up, what can I do?
    Run the MyHarmony software and attempt a sync from there. If the software can't communicate with the remote it will prompt you to plug in the remote and that should ultimately fix the problem. There is also a troubleshooting option in the desktop app on the right-hand side of the program.
  16. How can I clean the remote without activating any buttons or the screen?
    Bring up the menu on the touchscreen, select Settings->Remote->Remote Lock. Holding Exit for a few seconds will unlock the remote. For cleaning I use a lens cleaning solution that is basically a small amount of soap in water, along with a micro-fiber cloth.
4. Smart remote Information
  1. What is the purpose of the Smart remote?
    The Smart remote is aimed at consumers who are primarily interested in using a smart phone or tablet for control, but would like the option of using a hard button remote on occasion or as a backup. It can also be the primary remote for simpler setups.
  2. Does the Smart remote support IR?
    No. It strictly communicates with the Hub via RF and the Hub is responsible for sending all IR signals. The lack of IR is one of the ways it saves battery life.
  3. What kind of battery does the Smart remote use?
    Unlike the Ultimate remote, the Smart remote is not rechargable. It uses a CR2032 lithium coin cell battery that is easily changeable by the user, and lasts up to a year.
  4. How many activities does the Smart remote support?
    Six. There are three activity buttons and two activities can be assigned to each button via the long press feature.
  5. How many devices does the Smart remote support?
    The Smart remote can control up to eight devices.
5. Software Information
  1. How many remotes can the MyHarmony.com software support?
    You can have six remotes per account.
  2. How is the software organized?
    There are five main tabs in addition to the Home tab. The Home tab just provides links to the other tabs, so it’s largely useless. The organization is slightly different than the older Harmony software and you need to explore it fully to find all the possible options you can tweak.
  3. I want my device to stay on all the time, how do I change that?
    Go to Devices->Change Device Settings. and choose Power Settings.
  4. How do I learn new IR commands for a device?
    Go to Devices->Add or Fix a command. It’s a long cumbersome process. Note that adding a command at this point won’t necessarily make it appear on your remote. You will have to go to the Buttons tab and select the Activity or Device that you want to add that command to.
  5. Can I change the icon for an Activity?
    The MyHarmony.com software will choose a default icon based on the activity type, but oddly you cannot choose a different icon from the default icons. You can upload your own icon though. Go to Activities tab, choose the Activity you want to change, and then select Change your settings. From there you can upload an icon.
  6. Where can I get more icons?
    Check out squareeys’ icon site. It’s a web site maintained by an AVS Forum member and has a large selection of Harmony icons.
  7. How can I add more instructions to the start up or shut down of an Activity?
    Go to Activities->Customize this Activity and from there you can perform a certain amount of customization of the activity actions. You can reorder the commands, add new commands and add delays.
  8. How can I change how quickly commands are sent to a device?
    Go to Device->Change Device Settings. There you can set up some specific values for delays for a device’s IR commands as well set the repeat amount.
  9. Where can I change the order of Activities on the main screen?
    Under the Buttons tab (makes sense, right?). There are two drop down controls, Screen Options and Remote Buttons. The first selection under Screen Options allows you to tweak the Activities page.
  10. How can I change the buttons available to an Activity?
    This is also changed under Buttons. You can modify the hard buttons and the commands available via the touchscreen.
  11. I want to add some more commands to an Activity, but they aren’t showing up in the list, is there a way to access them?
    For some reason Logitech has chosen to filter the list of available commands that can be added to the touchscreen. For instance the keypad buttons are not available, including #, *, Clear and Enter, even if these keys are not showing up on the keypad. The only way I’ve found around this is to learn those commands under another name.
FAQ initially posted on July 22 2013.

mdavej originally started this thread. He graciously turned control of this post over to me so I could provide a FAQ. Below is his original post:

Just when I thought they'd given up, logitech surprises us with the biggest thing they've ever done. On paper, these new devices appear to be pretty amazing. Turns out the Touch has been hiding RF capabilities all along. And with the new Hub can now work via RF, Wi-fi and bluetooth, natively controlling PS3 and Wii without additional adapters. We get skip buttons back, and now short and long press commands, doubling the number of hard buttons essentially. Plus remote config/updates via wi-fi as well as a smartphone remote app. And they've actually listened to customer feedback and corrected some of the issues in the Touch, like more activities per screen, easier gesture control, and better ergonomics.

Check out the details here, and a good review here, and discuss. Looks like harmony is going to go out with a bang. Why they waited so long is a mystery, but I'm glad they're finally making some significant improvements after years of systematically ruining the harmony line.

EDIT: Here's another good review which also describes the new skip/fwd and skip/rew buttons:Quote:...Another nice perk of the Harmony Ultimate (which will carry over to the Harmony Touch in a future software update), is that the hard buttons like Play and Fast Forward now have dual purpose: press the button normally and it will take a certain action; press and hold the button for more than 1/2 second and it will take an entirely different action. This means the Fast Forward button will do Fast Forward when you press it quickly, but if you hold the button for more than 1/2 second it will do a Skip function instead. This addresses the complaint from many Touch owners (and reviewers) that there just aren't enough buttons on the Touch.

See less See more
#4,194 ·
I have a Harmony Hub with Smart remote. In the Harmony app, I want to understand more about the IR Assignments under Remote & Hub. In the first post, it says:

"Go to Settings and choose "Remote and Hub Assignments". From there you can assign a device to the Ultimate or the Hub, and with the Hub you can choose whether the Hub and IR ports are used, or narrow it down to the Hub or a specific port."

In my situation, I have an IR mini-blaster attached to one of the two ports on the Hub. Under "IR Assignments", I configured my Tivo Bolt to use only that port. What exactly does the Hub do to direct the IR commands to the Bolt? Is the Hub actually examining the command and seeing something that identifies it, thus seeing it is destined for the Bolt? And then it sends it out only on that mini-blaster port? (I'm assuming that any device within range of that mini-blaster will still see the command, so placement has to be done properly).

I see the name mdavej in that first post. I posted in a Tivo forum over a year ago about a problem I was having with Tivo Bolt and MCM amp. I decided to ask this more general question here instead. I thought I'd mention him since he helped me, but I'd appreciate help from anyone.

The reason I'm asking this now is that I had assigned the mini-blasters on both the Bolt and the MCM last year to get around my problem. It turns out that only the Bolt actually needed that mini-blaster, and the MCM did not. That discovery made me question exactly how the Hub does this "isolation". (On myharmony site, it says "Changing the mini-blaster port associated with your device can be used to isolate it from other devices that are controlled by your hub, this way it does not receive commands that are destined for other devices").

#4,196 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that you're not saying the port number was in the original RF command sent to the Hub, right? I don't see how the Hub knew how to associate that original RF command with the specific device, e.g. Tivo Bolt. Once it does that, it certainly has both device AND Hub or IR mini-blaster from the IR Assignments configuration, so that's not the hard part.

In my case, last year you had explained that the MCM amp must be seeing an incorrect waveform when I held down the down arrow on my Harmony Smart remote for the Bolt activity. I had thought that meant I needed to "isolate" the MCM, so that's where I had first used the IR mini-blaster. When that didn't fix the problem, I added another blaster for the Bolt. As it turns out, only the blaster for the Bolt is necessary. I guess that makes sense...restricting sending that IR command to the Bolt prevents the MCM from seeing it. But I'd sure love to know how the Hub figured out how to associate the original RF command with the Bolt. I understand if you have no more info about this.

EDIT: A sentence was poorly worded. "Restricting sending that IR command to the Bolt" should say "Only sending that IR command to the Bolt prevents the MCM from seeing it".

#4,197 ·
Question about non IR equipment. I have the Harmony Ultimate controller. I have a HSU SW amp (old school) I wanted to know if it is possible to turn it through a "smart switch" receptacle" for an activity. I want to be able to turn on the HSU via a smart switch for pretty much all my "activities". Where in the Harmony can I add a generic "smart switch" to be used within these activities. I see smart home things like lights and such but do not see generic AC smart switches. I have been using these for lights via wifi just not sure if these work within the Harmony Ultimate. Specific brand I have is "Gosund"

#4,198 ·
Swapped out my TVs. I went from a Sony XBR-65X850C to a Sony XBR-65X950G. Under remote and hub assignments the but to select IR for the 950G is grayed out. Only can use the hub and blasters. I have been using the hubs for several TVs and never had this happen. Any ideas? I should be able to select IR. Causing me some connection issues using the hub/blasters

#4,205 ·
I have three activities where I use my Amp for sound instead of the TV; Sky, Blu-ray and PS3. I set all of them up the same way and opted for the Amp to control the volume, but the Sky activity ignores this and uses both, so I have to lower the volume on the TV manually. This happened on my old Samsung TV and the new LG I set up yesterday.

Any idea why this is happening and if there's a fix or workaround?

#4,212 · (Edited)
I hope this is an appropriate thread for this question.

I've had an Ultimate Home/hub for over a year, and found it frustrating to use with it's touchy screen etc. until recently when I decided to try it again, since I may wish to enable the Alexa function in my new Ecobee voice activated thermostat to allow me to use the Harmony hub to control my equipment by voice rather than remotes.

1. With firmware updates etc. the Harmony now seems to be working fairly well in operating my Yamaha 1070, my 65" B7 LG Oled, and 4kApple TV. I don't like the remote layout and would likely prefer the layout of the Elite or Companion, but am hesitant to throw more money at something that may not provide much or any improvement. Also, it seems difficult to purchase just a remote for my existing hub. Any suggestions welcomed.

2. So far I've been unable to find a way to mimic all the functions of my Xfinity X1 remote which I like for its ease of paging up and down the Guide, and the "Last" button. Is it possible to program the Ultimate Home (or other) remote to perform these convenient functions?

Update/edit: I found that the button with reverse arrow, above the Info button, brings up the "last" channels watched. Yay.

#4,223 ·
I have a 890 which has served us well for many years. Two things which I'm not keen on are the cheezy buttons, and the hub delay.

I'm considering updating to the Ultimate. For those of you which now use an Ultimate but had previously owned the 890, can you comment on your observations between the two?

Am I correct in understanding the hub shipped with the 890 is not the same as the hub sold today?

Thanks

#4,224 ·
Power Off / Shut Down Problems with Harmony Home Control

Been struggling and can't figure out whats going wrong here.

All of my activities turn on and off fine individually. Player on, receiver on and set to the proper input, including my Epson 6050 projector for Roku, Shield, and bluray player. Same if I power down the activity.

But when I use the Harmony Hub - Power Off, like the main remote off button, the projector does not turn off.

I've set the projector to Turn Off When Not in Use in the power setting and also changed it to Keep On But Switch OFf when OFF Button is pressed. Neither solved the problem.

On the projector itself, I turned off the shutdown menu prompt so it should shut down without any confirmation. Then went back into the Harmony App and changed the power settings to "Using a Single Button" and set it for "PowerOff" = 1s.

I turned off all the CEC in the projector, receiver, and all my devices.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to link this all with a Google Assistant command to "Shut Down the Theater" which should turn off all the equipment and turn off all the lights. So far I can't get it to work.

#4,225 · (Edited)
I think it's a new Harmony issue. I am having the same issue with my Harmony elite. It will turn of JVC projector if I am using the TV(which consist of a Tivo, Yamaha 5100 and JVC 540 projector) but the other Activities(AppleTV, 2019 ShieldTV, and FireTV 4k) will not turn off the projector.

I have tried several things and nothing has worked to fix this.

All these companies keep doing software updates. They haven't added any new features since I can't remember when and mostly do bug fixes. But all I see is new bugs. Rarely does anything get fixed.

#4,226 ·
I've been having a very similar issue with my new setup. Replaced my old TV and receiver, which would work 100% of the time with power on and power off. I now have a TCL 75R617 and a Marantz SR6013. Everything powers on fine, but had to add delays or the input wouldn't change properly, but when I power off the TV stays on. It doesn't matter the order I have them the TV won't power off, I have to go into devices and power off manually. That works just fine. All CEC and ARC settings are off.

I was hoping to get some pointers but it seems I'm not the only one with the issue.

#4,229 ·
Yup. I have tried a great many things and none will work. It will however turn the JVC Projector off if I have it on the Watch TV Activity which consist of the JVC, Yamaha 5100 & Tivo. But not for the rest of my activities. This started after I added a Shield Pro, but I don't believe that caused it. I think they updated around the same time.

Also in my family room, master bedroom and office, I don't have the same issue.
I have the exact same issue, my Epson projector turns off with my TV activity, but not for my Nvidia SHIELD activity. The project don't receive the shut off command at all, it seems like, as I do not see the box for pressing power off a second time show up on the screen.
I've had a near opposite problem with my Apple TV 4K turning the TV off and not letting another activity like Roku use the TV. Maybe you've tried changing device order in power down sequence but what order? If you can follow my reason, I believe there's a logical order. I'm trying it but also some other things I've noted with trial and error. HDMI-CEC is suspect even if disabled and even if blocked on suspect device? Say it ain't so!

Well, despite my TV and devices having HDMI-CEC disabled, my ATV4K seemed a menace with its antics. Sometimes, it wouldn't allow the TV to be turned on? Other times it would turn the TV off before another activity could use it (even changing activities). I'm still undecided about what could cause that because the ATV4K had a HDMI-CECless Lindy adapter on it at the time when it seemingly refused to allow the TV to come out of standby. But rather than eliminate least likely cause, one by one, to narrow suspects, I just cycled power to the ATV4K and immediately was able to turn the TV by starting at activity.

But what didn't make sense was that the Logitech Harmony 950 connected to Harmony hub wasn't even starting an activity. I'd press activity start on 950 display window and nothing happened; no errors either! I tried to duplicate this by rebooting the Harmony hub while trying to select an activity start with the Harmony 950. But rather than nothing on the 950, it says something like something is wrong, check connection.

I sent my logs to Logitech Harmony and sent an email asking them to investigate a few oddities that I had time stamps on. Got a response saying they needed to have a technical support call with me to manually update my Harmony 950 and Harmony hub to latest update. Apparently, they weren't successfully reaching servers for updates, despite my Android app popping up a dialogue that said checking and downloading firmware. Got that sorted too.

But what I wanted to share was what I found in the start and end sequences of my activities. TV should power out of standby first, IMO. Check. Ok there. But TV should be powered to standby last, IMO. Not the case; TV was first? This didn't seem logical. I changed my TV to last device in end sequences (when no longer needed is also selected).

The reason? I noticed my ATV4K was reluctant to go to standby unless TV was on and input was tuned to the ATV4K. Sometimes I would find the ATV4K not in standby. The day the TV wouldn't turn on when starting an activity, I asked the Harmony 950 for help to resolve the matter. What the 950 expected was all devices off; it hadn't started an activity? Odd! So I'm checking all the devices looking for what's still on as I go through the help sequence. Sure enough, found the ATV4K wasn't in standby. As I said, it's reluctant to take a standby command without TV on and tuned to its HDMI port, even with Harmony sending repeated commands. That's when I cycled AC power to the ATV4K and managed to start an activity successfully. (Theory? ATV4K has hijacked my TV; maybe even trying to turn it off before it goes to standby? And this despite HDMI-CEC being blocked.)

A lot to say to come to the conclusion that the TV should be last in the standby order and only "off" (standby) when no longer needed. And first to come out of standby in any start sequence.

I have no idea if that effects users with an AVR or not?

Suggestions, tips or experiences? I've also discovered it's best to not actually remove AC power from my HDMI devices connected to my TV. Causes more of the negative things I've described and more. Another thing I'm having to do overcome some of these nuisances is to remove power and cabling from my TV and connected devices, hold TV power on button until LED can no longer emit and wait before cabling and restoring any power. Lying disconnected and without power allows any residual charges to dissipate before cabling and powering on. I'm also considering a factory reset on my TV.

I suspect disabling CEC in TV and devices and even blocking the ATV4K CEC isn't enough. HDMI is suspect in some way though I've also read HDMI-CEC can work nicely until adding multiple capable devices. Then it can be a game of chance; sometimes this works without issue, others, may not be so good. I've got 3 HDMI CEC capable devices and it seems to be a nightmare for my TV.

Harmony is supposed to be a helpful solution. Maybe it is when used the right way. Hopefully I'm on the right track now. Just sharing my trial and error findings. Ask Harmony and they'll say the firmware updates were critical in my case; must update. I still suspect foul play with what continues...

I may also have an opportunity to just try one device if cancelling satellite paid TV. Despite my lessons and applied suggestions, Tennis TV app on Roku and ATV4K are acting weird. Roku tends to lockup and reboot going from watching replays via menu date and tournament, exiting and tabbing left to live content (regardless if live content is available or not but this doesn't always happen, just most of the time lately- tab right before before tabbing left to live tab and this doesn't happen- why? Don't know). ATV4K has a weird issue with Harmony right directional arrow in same Tennis TV app's replay tab. First right tab in the same date and tournament menu of replay tab and the app will exit every time to ATV4K home (app menu). But only if using Harmony hub to tab right at that critical tab right to select a date in replay tab menu. Use the ATV4K Siri remote to swipe right at that one step, no exit to home! I can then use Harmony without ceasing to keep tabbing left and right even at that point without exiting app to home. And I've seen these issues temporarily fixed by doing the power down recabling procedure on TV and devices above. So I'm curious to see how my TV and streamer behaves with only one HDMI device connected. Do these issues disappear and never return or eventually come back again?

Strange but true and mostly unknowns because there's no perfect streaming device and I'm in no hurry to experiment with such a setup until I'm ready to go at it with just one connected device. It's better than before if can just recall my per device remote workarounds for Tennis TV app.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

#4,227 ·
Yup. I have tried a great many things and none will work. It will however turn the JVC Projector off if I have it on the Watch TV Activity which consist of the JVC, Yamaha 5100 & Tivo. But not for the rest of my activities. This started after I added a Shield Pro, but I don't believe that caused it. I think they updated around the same time.

Also in my family room, master bedroom and office, I don't have the same issue.

#4,230 ·
Harmony Hub won't learn new IR commands

I'm trying to add a couple of commands (DirecTV HR54 doesn't have Advance or Rewind, ie. skip back 8 seconds or forward 30 seconds, it's there on HR20 but not on HR44 or HR54).

With both the PC App, or the iOS mobile app, I get to the point where I'm pointing the remote at the Hub to teach the command, but the Hub doesn't seem to see anything. No updates in the iOS app, and Next doesn't ungray in the PC (it does of course see the HUB as USB connected, or I wouldn't have gotten past the previous page).

I know the commands are getting sent from the remote (as 2 inches away is a separate IR receiver with an LED that flashes on IR input, that is successfully sending the commands to the DirecTV box).

Do I have a bad hub, or any thoughts on something else that might be going on?

#4,231 · (Edited)
I'm trying to add a couple of commands (DirecTV HR54 doesn't have Advance or Rewind, ie. skip back 8 seconds or forward 30 seconds, it's there on HR20 but not on HR44 or HR54).

With both the PC App, or the iOS mobile app, I get to the point where I'm pointing the remote at the Hub to teach the command, but the Hub doesn't seem to see anything. No updates in the iOS app, and Next doesn't ungray in the PC (it does of course see the HUB as USB connected, or I wouldn't have gotten past the previous page).

I know the commands are getting sent from the remote (as 2 inches away is a separate IR receiver with an LED that flashes on IR input, that is successfully sending the commands to the DirecTV box).

Do I have a bad hub, or any thoughts on something else that might be going on?
There was a discussion on this starting at post # 4169. From that, I'd say the unanswered question (in my thinking then) of which models have the skip functions are the non genies? I see no reason you can't use those that have it. Logitech is typical not up update models with all features on later models so older ones can be used.

As far as your hub not getting commands, it may take multiple attempts to get a command. As I recall, it's best to point remote from above directly down on hub to get the command received. But also make sure your DirecTV remote is set to IR mode to learn commands; with the HR54, that's within the settings of the receiver. The HR54 cannot simultaneously do IR and RF so your DirecTV remote should be IR is you want to use the Harmony hub to control it.

I didn't know which HR models included the skip commands. So I added the missing commands to HR54 myself.

#4,235 ·
I have a harmony 950 and a Mac with the latest 32 bit software. I can’t use my Mac anymore due to the app not supporting 32 bit. The mobile app only works with the hub remotes. How do I edit functions on the 950 elite???

#4,237 ·
You are saying I have a 950 that I can’t do anything with anymore??? Just because I have a Mac?

#4,238 ·
Harmony at one point said they were going to have a solution for 64-bit, but they've blown their original delivery estimate (I think is was Nov 2019?) and there doesn't seem to be any definitive word if/when it will be forthcoming. In the Elite mega-thread, somebody suggested a solution is forthcoming, but until it's here, it isn't here :(. Certainly, in the short term, it's safer to find a Windows or a Mac with a pre-Catalina OS as a temporary platform rather than to wait on Harmony. Hopefully Harmony will have a solution longer term, but it's impossible to say. All of the remote settings are saved in Harmony's cloud, so it's pretty easy to use another computer temporarily if you have one available.

#4,250 ·
I'd be interested to see what others recommend or think of this one.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-FiveHom..._image#askDPSearchSecondaryView_1579917814656

I setup with Harmony and it's in the database. No issues with Harmony or performance but I'm only using HDR10 and no AVR. I do get framerate matching with this switch.

They're likely others but I didn't get answers to recommendations when I asked.

#4,255 ·
Hello Harmony Gurus.

Can the IR blaster ports on the back of the hub be used to send a signal directly into an RC-5 port on the rear of a piece of equipment (Krell Foundation in my case)?

I realise that the RC-5 port on the Foundation is 1/8" and the ports on the hub are smaller so I would an adapter for a 1/8" to 1/8" cable.

TIA for any replies.