Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes

Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadeshgandhi View Post
Don I actually did end up buying the deal you mentioned and I have it setup to my basic functions. My setup is very minimal; a 5.1 HT system that has a Denon AVR 791 receiver, a roku, a chromecast, a rasp pi and a xbox.

I do have a question, my wife likes to listen to a particular radio station and to do so I have added it to the TuneIn app on Roku. Its the only station that I have programmed on the TuneIn app.

I want to program a activity so that the app opens and that particular station starts playing. To do this I have tried to add a roku activity and then set the start the TuneIn app. This part works well but I cannot get it the app to start playing the station. I even tried to add steps like 'go down' and 'ok' to execute the roku commands but this does not seem to work. Lastly to add a roku activity the TV needs to be turned on but for this I really do not need the TV, is there a way to add a roku activity and with the TV turned off?

Thanks!
What you're wanting to do is theoretically possible, but could be difficult to execute. You "should" be able to program the same steps you take when you're doing it manually, as a Harmony 'Sequence' - I assume that's what you're referring to when you speak of adding steps like 'go down' and 'ok' but if not, please clarify.

Sometimes the timing of the execution of the various steps makes a difference in terms of it getting executed properly. So, in some of my sequences and actions, I have to add delays of varying amounts of time, to let whichever device it's controlling 'catch up' so to speak. This might be as brief as one second, but sometimes, I need to give it 10 to 20 seconds (my JVC Projector has very long HDMI hand-shake times, so I have to wait for that to complete before it's ready to take another command). So there may just be some trial and error in getting this to work.

Once it's set up properly, it should execute without the TV being on. You might need a command, like hitting the Roku Home button, to 'wake' it up. Also, make sure your Roku has a power that is on constantly, not one of the TV's USB ports, which would often require the TV to be on to allow the Roku to power up.

Hope this helps a little, anyways!

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
Dolby Bed (4): Wharfedale Diamond II's, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLC Photography
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Help, please. I just purchased the ZVOX SB500, prior was using Zvox 555. I have tried everything including rebooting hub, repositioning hub and mini blaster, learned remote manually, etc. All with no luck. The ultimate is not controlling the Zvox. Pressing help /fix myself does no good either.

It seems I had this same issue with my prior Zvox but after hours of trial and error finally got everything to work. I have repeated the same with the 500 and still nothing.

All other devices, activities work as they should. Its only the Zvox.

Thank you, in advance.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I was just listening to the podcast this week in google and Leo Laporte was complaining about the hub/Alexa integration. I heard him talking about ordering it to "Simplify" his wife's life with his av setup. I thought that maybe his experience would be different than mine, but no almost nothing worked. And that's about 4 months since I got mine. It's part the fault of the hub and part Echo...

Old 02-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Almost bought an Alexa to make life a bit easier for my luddite wife. Decided to spend some time teaching her how to use the remote...Harmony Ultimate Home...and having her go through and problem solve and now she understands it and how to make it work.
One touch of the screen and I'm either watching TV, a movie, listening to music or the radio...easy peasy...don't need to talk to some device.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, Rcvr: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 11v5, center/Paradigm CC-290, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/Paradigm PDR-100, DVD: Samsung BD-J5700, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Almost bought an Alexa to make life a bit easier for my luddite wife. Decided to spend some time teaching her how to use the remote...Harmony Ultimate Home...and having her go through and problem solve and now she understands it and how to make it work.
One touch of the screen and I'm either watching TV, a movie, listening to music or the radio...easy peasy...don't need to talk to some device.
I was the same way with my wife but now we're using Alexa to control everything and it's been nearly flawless.
Kai Winters likes this.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Harmony to change to EDID 8 or EDID 10 on the HDFury Integral

Many of us with JVC projectors need ready access to EDID 8 and EDID 10 commands to choose between HDR/BT2020 and SDR/BT2020 with out Integrals. This can be done with the Android/iPhone Apps, but as many of us like to automate our setups with the Harmony Remotes and Hub, I contacted Logitech about this, and supplied them with the relevant codes.

They just set this up in my Harmony account to test it out, and I have found that they work just fine. I have reported back to them, and they should be adding this to their Device database shortly, so this can be used by others.

The IR Sensor for the Integral needs to be physically oriented toward the source of the Harmony signal whenever possible, so be aware of where it is, and where it is pointing, to get the best performance.

One thing I have noticed, which I have reported to HDFury, is that if I change EDIDs using the Harmony's IR commands, is that if one had already connected with the Android App, at least with my Series 01 Integral, that if one changes EDID by IR command, the change isn't reflected in the App, even with a 'pull down' motion which ordinarily refreshes the app. One needs to disconnect and reconnect the App in order to show the current EDID.

I don't know that this is a problem as such, although it did make testing the IR EDID change a bit cumbersome, but just thought I'd pass it on.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
Dolby Bed (4): Wharfedale Diamond II's, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLC Photography
Old 02-27-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Hoping to find some help here. Have a Harmony Ultimate One and Hub set up and for the most part things are working well. But there's one issue I can't seem to get a handle on.

I have several source components routed through my receiver, and Onkyo 5008, then on to my TV. I have an Activity set up for each. I can turn each activity On and Off, and switch between them without problem EXCEPT for my AppleTV activity. If I switch to it - and only it - from another Activity, it turns my receiver off. (Going through the Help process fixes it but the remote doesn't seem to remember the fix). But, near as I can tell, the Start/End state for the receiver within the Apple TV Activity is set up the same as in every other activity.

Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot and fix this?

TIA.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Hoping to find some help here. Have a Harmony Ultimate One and Hub set up and for the most part things are working well. But there's one issue I can't seem to get a handle on.

I have several source components routed through my receiver, and Onkyo 5008, then on to my TV. I have an Activity set up for each. I can turn each activity On and Off, and switch between them without problem EXCEPT for my AppleTV activity. If I switch to it - and only it - from another Activity, it turns my receiver off. (Going through the Help process fixes it but the remote doesn't seem to remember the fix). But, near as I can tell, the Start/End state for the receiver within the Apple TV Activity is set up the same as in every other activity.

Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot and fix this?

TIA.
Turn off HDMI-CEC on all of your devices see this link for help https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...20-%20s-a-2150
Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
Turn off HDMI-CEC on all of your devices see this link for help https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...20-%20s-a-2150
Thanks. In the interim I deleted the Activity and re-created it and it seems to work now (it also found the ATV for hub control via bluetooth which it hadn't done previously). The Activity commands otherwise look the same, so I'm not sure why it works now. But I'm not complaining! Thanks again.

Double True!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Found (another) issue with my Harmony remote. It seems to control the in-built apps on my Samsung TV fairly well overall. However, in the Amazon app, when a show gets to the end credits and up pops the little picture of the next episode along with a countdown to playback, it no longer seems to control the app. I can Exit back to the hub, or make the hub pop up to switch apps, but at that point I can no longer Pause, Stop or otherwise impact the existing playback. Also can't use directional keys to move from the little pop up to the main picture or vice versa.

Any thoughts?

Double True!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Found (another) issue with my Harmony remote. It seems to control the in-built apps on my Samsung TV fairly well overall. However, in the Amazon app, when a show gets to the end credits and up pops the little picture of the next episode along with a countdown to playback, it no longer seems to control the app. I can Exit back to the hub, or make the hub pop up to switch apps, but at that point I can no longer Pause, Stop or otherwise impact the existing playback. Also can't use directional keys to move from the little pop up to the main picture or vice versa.
Any thoughts?
It could simply be the way the Amazon app functions at the end of the episode vs a shortcoming in your Harmony remote. Have you tried using/testing the Samsung TV remote in this situation?
I first started accessing the Amazon Prime app last month and I don't like its user interface - too primitive and cumbersome. The Netflix app is much easier to navigate and control, IMO.
mdavej likes this.

Please enter password to view this signature.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Liked: 0
Recently finished my HT room and I designed it with open shelves in the back which go into the closet outside the room for access behind my components. The one thing I didn't factor in was controlling my gear with the hub, or rather hub placement. Right now since it isn't an enclosed area there is nothing to bounce off of and so the hub is sitting a little in front of the shelving on my rear speaker (it's a tower so it is high enough). It works fine, but isn't the nicest looking setup. I was thinking of adding a blackout curtain in front of the shelves to block any ambient light as well as hopefully allow me to place the hub on a shelf and reflect IR to the different components. Does anyone know if IR would bounce off of a thicker curtain like that or would it not work very well?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJ View Post
...I was thinking of adding a blackout curtain in front of the shelves to block any ambient light as well as hopefully allow me to place the hub on a shelf and reflect IR to the different components. Does anyone know if IR would bounce off of a thicker curtain like that or would it not work very well?
Would placement of a small convex mirror help?

Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 952
IR behaves very much like visible light. A black curtain would absorb it entirely. Think shiny, light colored surfaces, preferably flat. I think convex would result in a signal far too weak to work. To test this, get your room completely dark and use a small single or dual LED flashlight, like the kind found on a laser pointer. That's equivalent to what comes out of a blaster or remote. If you can shine that light onto your reflect surface and the reflected light illuminates your device a little, then it will probably work for IR.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
IR behaves very much like visible light. A black curtain would absorb it entirely. Think shiny, light colored surfaces, preferably flat. I think convex would result in a signal far too weak to work. To test this, get your room completely dark and use a small single or dual LED flashlight, like the kind found on a laser pointer. That's equivalent to what comes out of a blaster or remote. If you can shine that light onto your reflect surface and the reflected light illuminates your device a little, then it will probably work for IR.
FWIW, about 2 years ago I stuck a 2" convex mirror (from auto accessory store) onto the bottom of a ceiling fan centered in my in-law's family room, and it solved their H1 problem. They point their H1 at an up angle and the magic happens.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:13 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Would placement of a small convex mirror help?
Now that seems like an interesting idea that would be both simple and cheap to test.

Thank you both for your replies!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
It could simply be the way the Amazon app functions at the end of the episode vs a shortcoming in your Harmony remote. Have you tried using/testing the Samsung TV remote in this situation?
I first started accessing the Amazon Prime app last month and I don't like its user interface - too primitive and cumbersome. The Netflix app is much easier to navigate and control, IMO.
Turns out you're right - the app just behaves in a strange way at the end of an episode, confirmed with the TV's remote. Once the little "next episode" pop up appears, it appears automatically highlighted, and the *only* way out of it, besides Exiting the app entirely or Playing the next episode, is the Back button, which I somehow hadn't tried originally. The Back button returns you to the credits of the current episode and from there the playback controls work as expected.

Thanks!

Double True!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Difference in Harmony 915-000194 and 915-000239

What are the differences in the Harmony Hub remotes/systems 915-000194 and 915-000239 other than some home automation buttons? Also how do you switch devices on the remote?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Gib

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhk63 View Post
What are the differences in the Harmony Hub remotes/systems 915-000194 and 915-000239 other than some home automation buttons? Also how do you switch devices on the remote?
I believe the only difference is the additional smart home buttons for lights and outlets on the 239 version. Not exactly sure what you mean by switch devices on the remote. With these basic remotes you can not control devices directly, only by accessing them through the activity you are using via the 3 activity buttons at the top (which give you access to 6 activities through short or long press). So you can start the watch TV activity and then the remote will control the volume on the TV or receiver, the channel on the set top box or TV, guide on the STB or TV depending on your setup. But you can't go into a device only mode that controls just one device unless you create an activity that just uses one device. However you can do all of that with the smartphone app.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:41 AM

As Gib has stated both remotes are the same other than the Home control Buttons on the one, and you can only control individual devices if you have the Harmony App installed on either your Smart Phone or Tablet
Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Funny story (not really), when I upgraded my Appletv 2's to the ATV4 I never changed anything in the setup, been working stellar up until today...rearaged a/v rack and moved HDMIs around. Now I can't get my Harmony Ultimate to correctly control the ATV4. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:07 AM

Are you sure that your Activities have the correct inputs assigned after moving your equipment and HDMI's, also if you are using the Hub does your equipment have line of sight to the Hub?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
Are you sure that your Activities have the correct inputs assigned after moving your equipment and HDMI's, also if you are using the Hub does your equipment have line of sight to the Hub?

Yeah I triple checked everything. I tried deleting the devices/activities and re-adding them, seems to be working now.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys I have a small issue with my remote that I'm hoping to solve. I have a macro programmed to do five 30 second jumps in a row that is assigned to a long press of the blue button. I use this when watching DVRd shows to jump past most of the commercials with one button press. The issue I am having is that after doing the long press, my touchscreen will go from my favorites to another screen. It doesn't do this every time. It seems to be random when it does this and which screen it will change to. It only does this when I use this macro and I have no idea why. Hoping to find some help here.

Last edited by RodChester; 03-29-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Hi guys, i was wondering if someone here are using their Harmony Ultimate remote together with a newer Pioneer AVR with multi zone capabilities?
If so i am very curious to know if it`s possible to power up the Pioneer AVR in different zone modes using the Harmony remote? The reason i ask i because i have created two different activities,
1. Watch TV (uses the HDMI output 3 with HDZone on my Pioneer AVR)
2. Watch projector (uses the HDMI output 1 with Main Zone on my Pioneer AVR.

The problem lays in that i have to use the HDZone in order to get audio to my TV and when i power up my AVR using the remote, it will only power up to the last Zone mode used. There is no option in the MyHarmony software to choose this during the setup process, the only thing i can chose is the input to be used for the device in the activity.
I also noticed that the Harmony doesn`t have the buttons from the original remote to change between the different zones so i guess the first thing to do would be to learn the Harmony these commands. And if you can learn Harmony the necessary commands, then maybe it`s also possible to power up the AVR in different zone modes by sending a macro command during startup. But i`m not sure if this is even possible and therefore i would be very interested to know if anyone here have tried?

Sony VPL-VW550 | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4440 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | Oppo UDP-203 | Zappiti One 4k HDR | PS4 | Audio Pro/Pioneer 5.1.4 Atmos | SVS SB-1000
Old 04-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Device Control

I have a Harmony Smart Control with hub and my Activities work fine. However, how do I use the remote to switch to device mode - controlling an individual device? For example, when using my Watch TV activity all the buttons are mapped to control my cable TV STB, except volume for my Marantz receiver. So, how can I switch to the buttons being mapped to control my LG OLED TV so that I can use settings etc?
Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
I have a Harmony Smart Control with hub and my Activities work fine. However, how do I use the remote to switch to device mode - controlling an individual device? For example, when using my Watch TV activity all the buttons are mapped to control my cable TV STB, except volume for my Marantz receiver. So, how can I switch to the buttons being mapped to control my LG OLED TV so that I can use settings etc?
There is an icon on the lower left corner of the touch screen. This is your device control. Touch it and then select the LG TV any you'll now be controlling the tv functions.

You could also select buttons in the software page and set up dedicated buttons (or touch screen) for the tv in an activity.

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

The Smart Control remote has no LCD screen and also has no Device mode, you can only control individual devices by using the Harmony App on your Smart phone or tablet
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 581
My mistake, I'm using the Ultimate and didn't see the reference to the Smart Control remote.

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
Old Today, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I do think the better answer would be to get it programmed so you don't need both volumes. I personally can't stand having my TV on with even my crappy little HTIB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control