post #361 of 2053 Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

jnnt29, I'm afraid I can't answer much of what you are asking other than to say the IR is pretty powerful, and if you use Y-splitters and 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters you can use whatever IR emitters you want, but getting them to other rooms is pretty tricky.

Keith, thanks for your reply. I was actually answering a question that domyue had posted and thought you might have some additional thoughts. Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2053 Old 07-06-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
quosmantis, there are options for each device to control how power works. You can specify that devices are left on all the time. Unfortunately I don't really see a way with the software as it is to do what you want since there's no control over the Off button. It'd be nice to override Off to turn everything off and in an order you specify. You have to kind of wrap your brain around the way Activities work, which is what sets Harmony remotes apart from others. It turns on/off the devices appropriate for each activity. Now if your humax box should never be turned off, select it in the Device menu then Change Device Settings, and from there you can tell it to never power that device off.

Now it is possible to add extra devices to activities that aren't going to be used, and from there you could add controls specific to those devices to the touchscreen or any other button. Perhaps you could work with that. Add your PS3 to the Watch TV activity and the Humax to the Games activity. Then when you switch between those two activities both device should be left powered on. Unfortunately that means both will be powered on when either is no matter what. To deal with that you could add the Power button for the PS3 to your Commands page and turn it off when you aren't using it.

As for Silverlight, it sucks. Works fine under Chrome for me though. The right-click does nothing in it though. But when you go to the Buttons tab you can get in and tweak all sorts of settings for each activity and device. You should be able to easily reorder what you want. On the Buttons page the Screen options drop down will allow you to reorder the Activities Screen, as well as the other Activity and Device pages.

To change the default page for each Activity must be done using the remote itself. From the remote go to the Home screen, select the Menu button on the touch screen in the lower right-hand corner. Then select Settings->Activities->Startup screen. You can also do some other tweaks there as well as the software.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #363 of 2053 Old 07-06-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Keith, thanks for your reply. I was actually answering a question that domyue had posted and thought you might have some additional thoughts. Jon
I saw that, but copied the wrong name in my reply. Oops.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #364 of 2053 Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 10
So my smart remote and hub were just perfect till I replaced my TV with the samsung 40 " 6350 smart tv.

I am use to my older programable Sony rm-vl 600 or 900 . I like how you select what remote your using on the top buttons.

How can I get the basic smart remote to control the tv? will I need to ultimate to get the functionality I seek?

My remote works for the components in the closet just fine, and it turns on and off the TV using the blaster.
Am I doing something wrong on programming?
post #365 of 2053 Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli nut View Post

So my smart remote and hub were just perfect till I replaced my TV with the samsung 40 " 6350 smart tv.

I am use to my older programable Sony rm-vl 600 or 900 . I like how you select what remote your using on the top buttons.

How can I get the basic smart remote to control the tv? will I need to ultimate to get the functionality I seek?

My remote works for the components in the closet just fine, and it turns on and off the TV using the blaster.
Am I doing something wrong on programming?
The Smart doesn't have IR on it, the hub needs to be able to send IR to the TV.

post #366 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 AM

I have a Samsung UN60D7000 TV that I am using my Ultimate with. I have a problem after I am in an activity and then press the off button. The problem is that if I start a new activity and the required input for TV is different from the last activity I was in before hitting the off button, the input does not change. Which type of delay is required to be changed in order to get the TV to go to the right input on power on?
post #367 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:

There are options for each device to control how power works. You can specify that devices are left on all the time. You have to kind of wrap your brain around the way Activities work, which is what sets Harmony remotes apart from others. It turns on/off the devices appropriate for each activity. Now if your humax box should never be turned off, select it in the Device menu then Change Device Settings, and from there you can tell it to never power that device off.

Thanks a lot Keith!
You saved me loads of head scratching there! - not sure I would have looked in devices for that as logically thought would be an activity setting. I did manage to get it working (after first futilely looking for the setting on the remote itself!!) so I now have devices turned on as needed and not turning off so if I watch TV it turns on humax and and then click ps3 it turns on the ps3 without turning the other off. I did manage to have an ALL activity before to turn on all devices but it turns on things I rarely use which wasn't a great solution.
Quote:

Unfortunately I don't really see a way with the software as it is to do what you want since there's no control over the Off button. It'd be nice to override Off to turn everything off and in an order you specify.
I totally agree - maybe a future update Harmony Ian?

So I have it turning on properly now, just not turning off. The off actually works ok for all things (as I chose the "only turn off when off button is pressed in power options" but the tv turning off first with no delay is a killer as it kills my eco switch and ps3/xbox do a hard and fast off which means a chkdisk next time. Am worried about damage here - I'm convinced this bust my old humax box the day I plugged in the hub as it kept switching it on and off all the time (which I never did before) and by next day it wouldn't turn on! Worried about my ageing PS3 this way too.
I had a fudge for this with an 'off' activity with only TV which would turn off everything except the TV (which I could finally do with off button) but since I have now left them on this doesn't work anymore. Maybe I need to set a sequence from this pseudo off activity to turn off devices but then only the tv is in this activity. Arrrg! I guess I'd like to be able to send a command to a device not in my activity?

This kind of does seem possible though? There seem to be delays in both the activities and devices settings though but I just don't understand how they work. Is there proper documentation anywhere that explains this all? Sometimes I can reararrange the delay to go after one device when there are multiple devices, sometimes I can't? I don't understand when they run. When does the activity shutdown run ? Is it after the new activity starts or before ? Does shutdown for current activity run when the main off is pressed? It seems like all I need to do is add a delay before my tv is turned off (and all others could shut in parallel while the tv waits) and all is solved. It seems soooo close from the settings but I can't figure it out?
Quote:

To change the default page for each Activity must be done using the remote itself.
Actually I didn't need to do this when I managed to control device turning on and off. The mapped activities knew what device I was using (so this device is mapped to control by default) and lets me use the amp remote for volume only which is what I want. One annoyance is that if I change to PS3 device direct though (as I've still some wrong button mappings), I lose the volume controls for the amp. Its like it switches ALL controls to the PS3 (which makes sense) but the PS3 doesn't have any controls mapped to Volume so they are just dead buttons (which could still control the amp?) You know of a way around that? I guess I want volume controls to always be amp or TV, regardless of device.

Overall I am starting to like it a bit better but really wasn't expecting it to be this hard to get working out of the box. Esp when it found everything I had straight away in the calalog. Unintuitive button mappings in some cases (but easy enough to change those I suppose) and the Androld app seems to have been randomly cobbled together as buttons for a device are all over the place. Also really am missing the seperate ff/skip buttons though and agree that they're not best placed at the top. Having the touchscreen above these and one extra row with an extra ff/rew buttons would make this a perfect remote for me and a future upgrade (if I can master turning off devices!...)

Oh and finally totally agree silverlight suks!...;-)

Thinking about this and this is a question for Harmony Ian, you seem to have all the commands, sequences and delays needed to do everything but you've grouped them together in some odd ways that need workaroudns. Why not just have a totally custom macro option that lets me pick every command for every device including delays and let me write programs for this myself? It would fix the problem for powerusers or people with the odd obscure issue (like my eco switches). That would surely be easy to implement?

Q
post #368 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Does anyone know if the Ultimate is compatible with Belkin WeMo outlets?
post #369 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 AM

I purchased the Harmony Ultimate as an upgrade from the harmony 900. Overall, I like the new design very much, and for the most part, the transferring of the configuration was rather seamless. My only complaint, and it's certainly not a new one, is the inability to control z-wave devices. I knew this going into the purchase, so I didn't have any false misconceptions, however, I'm still disappointed in its exclusion. While there are plenty of hacks out there, none (that I've come across anyhow) come without significant complexity. While my home automation setup is rather complex, oddly enough, I do not want to control the entire home from the unit, rather, only a few lights in the theater room. Philips Hue will not work for me, so that is not an option. Oddly, I may end up purchasing a Hue system, put a bulb into an unused socket, and trigger a scene with the ultimate based on the indication of power to the outlet. Seems like overkill to control a few lights, just wish Harmony would've brought it back.
post #370 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

quosmantis, there are options for each device to control how power works. You can specify that devices are left on all the time. Unfortunately I don't really see a way with the software as it is to do what you want since there's no control over the Off button. It'd be nice to override Off to turn everything off and in an order you specify. You have to kind of wrap your brain around the way Activities work, which is what sets Harmony remotes apart from others. It turns on/off the devices appropriate for each activity. Now if your humax box should never be turned off, select it in the Device menu then Change Device Settings, and from there you can tell it to never power that device off.

Now it is possible to add extra devices to activities that aren't going to be used, and from there you could add controls specific to those devices to the touchscreen or any other button. Perhaps you could work with that. Add your PS3 to the Watch TV activity and the Humax to the Games activity. Then when you switch between those two activities both device should be left powered on. Unfortunately that means both will be powered on when either is no matter what. To deal with that you could add the Power button for the PS3 to your Commands page and turn it off when you aren't using it.

As for Silverlight, it sucks. Works fine under Chrome for me though. The right-click does nothing in it though. But when you go to the Buttons tab you can get in and tweak all sorts of settings for each activity and device. You should be able to easily reorder what you want. On the Buttons page the Screen options drop down will allow you to reorder the Activities Screen, as well as the other Activity and Device pages.

To change the default page for each Activity must be done using the remote itself. From the remote go to the Home screen, select the Menu button on the touch screen in the lower right-hand corner. Then select Settings->Activities->Startup screen. You can also do some other tweaks there as well as the software.

Sliverlight is no longer supported by Microsoft. It will no longer work in IE11 as Microsoft block it from working claiming that it is not compable with IE11.

I sure hope harmony uses another interface as Sliverlight will shortly not be supported in any browser.
Ps I am using windows 8.1
post #371 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 AM

My problem was I had not assigned buttons After I figured out the 'link' to assign all the buttons I need all is great now. Great simple remote. 5 stars IMO.
post #372 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalkunjr View Post

I have a Samsung UN60D7000 TV that I am using my Ultimate with. I have a problem after I am in an activity and then press the off button. The problem is that if I start a new activity and the required input for TV is different from the last activity I was in before hitting the off button, the input does not change. Which type of delay is required to be changed in order to get the TV to go to the right input on power on?
From the main menu select Devices, from there select Change Device Settings, then choose Device Delay Settings. You'll probably want to work with the Power-on delay. Mine is set to 2 seconds, you may need longer depending on how long it takes your TV to respond to new IR commands when you turn it on.

You can also go into Activities->Customize this Activity and add delays there and reorder how the devices are powered on. You could manually add a delay there then repeat the input command for your remote. There's only so much you can do there though, editing the device settings is the best way to go in this case.

post #373 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi quosmantis,

To tweak how and when your TV powers off, you may want to try experimenting with your TV's power settings - this is the last screen that can be found in a device's Power Settings screen.

This screen allows you to customize the power off sequence for a device, and adding a delay before your TV's power off command may allow time for your other devices to power off first.

post #374 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post

Sliverlight is no longer supported by Microsoft. It will no longer work in IE11 as Microsoft block it from working claiming that it is not compable with IE11.

I sure hope harmony uses another interface as Sliverlight will shortly not be supported in any browser.
Ps I am using windows 8.1

Silverlight is absolutely still supported by MS and works just fine in IE 11 (which is still in beta). However I doubt running Silverlight in IE 11 is supported as, like I said, it's in beta. It doesn't work in the Metro version of IE 11 (nor Metro IE 10), but then again no plugins function in the Metro version so I wouldn't expect it to.

Silverlight isn't going anywhere.
post #375 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 PM

I'am using ie11 and it states that silent light is not supported. This is desktop ie11,

Here is a link to Netflix dropping alive light due to the believe Microsoft will no longer support this platform.

http://m.computerworld.com/s/article/9238421/Netflix_to_dump_Silverlight_Microsoft_s_stalled_technology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #376 of 2053 Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:

From the main menu select Devices, from there select Change Device Settings, then choose Device Delay Settings. You'll probably want to work with the Power-on delay. Mine is set to 2 seconds, you may need longer depending on how long it takes your TV to respond to new IR commands when you turn it on.

You can also go into Activities->Customize this Activity and add delays there and reorder how the devices are powered on. You could manually add a delay there then repeat the input command for your remote. There's only so much you can do there though, editing the device settings is the best way to go in this case.

Thanks that worked great.
post #377 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a few questions.

So this is not a RF remote, it's an IR remote like my Harmony One?

But it has IR extenders so I can close my cabinet door and still control my receiver?

Since it doesn't do RF, I guess I will have to change my directv dvr to IR and use a extender for that as well as my receiver? (having lots of problems getting my dvr to switch to IR and work with my One)

Where are the numbers? Can I setup a numbers display on the lcd screen so I can go to a specific channel? Not really interested in an app or favorites menu with channel icons, I just want numbers.

Last question. I have a dvr and receiver behind a cabinet door, but my tv also needs to receive a signal. How long are the ir extenders (or blasters if thats their name), I'd like to know whether they can reach from inside the cabinet to an area outside where the tv can get its signal too.
post #378 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 413X3 View Post

I have a few questions.

So this is not a RF remote, it's an IR remote like my Harmony One?

But it has IR extenders so I can close my cabinet door and still control my receiver?

Since it doesn't do RF, I guess I will have to change my directv dvr to IR and use a extender for that as well as my receiver? (having lots of problems getting my dvr to switch to IR and work with my One)

Where are the numbers? Can I setup a numbers display on the lcd screen so I can go to a specific channel? Not really interested in an app or favorites menu with channel icons, I just want numbers.

The remote is RF to the Hub, the Hub is IR to the equipment. The remote can be set to IR for specific equipment. The Hub can be in a closed cabinet and has IR extenders or mini blasters as well.

You will have to have your equipment accept IR signal..

You can access the numbers screen by swiping to the left on the screen.

You can also set the number screen as the default screen for an activity by going to setting on. The remote >Activities> Start up screen > select the Activity and then the start up screen.

I hope this helps. JT
post #379 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post

Hi quosmantis,

To tweak how and when your TV powers off, you may want to try experimenting with your TV's power settings - this is the last screen that can be found in a device's Power Settings screen.

This screen allows you to customize the power off sequence for a device, and adding a delay before your TV's power off command may allow time for your other devices to power off first.

Hi HarmonySylvain,
I noticed you used the word 'may'...;-)
I have tried that already but it has kind of wierd (but predictable) behaviour.
I added a 15sec delay before the TV toggles power button. (Thats how long PS3 macros seem to take to shutdown...)
Part of the problem here is no differentiation between turn on and turn off in this screen.

So when everything is off and I run any activity now e.g. "Watch TV", nothing happens for 15secs and then it turns everything on (bit annoying but I could maybe live with it if OFF worked).
But still when I press OFF, nothing happens for 15 secs, then the TV and ALL the other turn offs happen at same time so it still kills my ps3 too early! Seems like the TV is still the first thing to turn off in sequence. I added a mute before the delay (so I could see something on the screen) so when I press off the mute shows up on screen instantly, 15secs of nothing, then everything switches off at same time so the TV sequence must be going first. If I could just make the TV go last I'd be complete here?
Any idea how to force that to be last?

I have set the TV to be last in all the shutdowns of every activity but makes no difference. Is this controlled somewhere else when you use the off button?I guess OFF doesn't run these activities in that order?
Thanks again
Q
post #380 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:

The remote is RF to the Hub, the Hub is IR to the equipment. The remote can be set to IR for specific equipment. The Hub can be in a closed cabinet and has IR extenders or mini blasters as well.

You will have to have your equipment accept IR signal..

You can access the numbers screen by swiping to the left on the screen.

You can also set the number screen as the default screen for an activity by going to setting on. The remote >Activities> Start up screen > select the Activity and then the start up screen.

I hope this helps. JT

Thanks, I did an edit to my post, can you answer my last question? Basically how does the tv also get a signal? Do I need to have the hub in sight distance to the front of my tv as well as my devices in the cabinet with my dvr and receiver?

Also anyone here use a directv hd-dvr and have it working fine with the ultimate?
post #381 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Last question. I have a dvr and receiver behind a cabinet door, but my tv also needs to receive a signal. How long are the ir extenders (or blasters if thats their name), I'd like to know whether they can reach from inside the cabinet to an area outside where the tv can get its signal too.

You can set the remote to send IR for the TV and RF for the Hub to control the equipment in the cabinet.. wink.gif
post #382 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:

You can set the remote to send IR for the TV and RF for the Hub to control the equipment in the cabinet.. wink.gif

Awesome, thanks again. I thought I read somewhere here that only the hub was ir and the remote rf. Looks like I need to save up money for ANOTHER!! toy.
post #383 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 AM

I picked up a Smart at BB. I transferred my settings from my One. But the custom buttons for XBMC did not transfer. I fixed that with the MyHarmony app and the remote control is working perfectly. However, my iPhone 5 with the Harmony app does not have any of the custom stuff for XBMC. The screens are mostly greyed out, all I get is the numbers 0-9 and a cpl other buttons that do not allow me to do much. I wanted to map the FF, play, pause, stop and REW to the arrow keys but those are greyed out also. I can delete the arrow key and replace it with R and F but that doesn't really convey what they do to anyone without an XBMC keyboard map. What am I doing wrong? I can't find anyway to change the defaults on the phone.
post #384 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM

I am looking at the Smart Control because I like the simple remote and I will be using my iPhone for more complex tasks but I have not been able to find out one thing. The maximum number of devices is limited to 8 but what is the maximum number of activities you can configure on the phone? I see that this is limited to 6 on the remote due to button limits, but do they set the same limit on the phone app or can you configure more?
post #385 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Liked: 14
No, basicly, there is no limit. Other Harmony remotes, you could have up to 255 activities, this may hold true for the App's although, I have not seen any limit set, I know with my Smart Control the remote has 6, but with my iPhone app, I have 12
post #386 of 2053 Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 PM

What other devices can be controlled by the bluetooth hub? Only a PS3? Can I connect it via bluetooth to my mac mini?

I just want the remote to use play pause, skip, stop buttons on the mac mini when I'm playing a music or video file.
post #387 of 2053 Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

What other devices can be controlled by the bluetooth hub? Only a PS3? Can I connect it via bluetooth to my mac mini?

I just want the remote to use play pause, skip, stop buttons on the mac mini when I'm playing a music or video file.
Only the PS3 and WiiU. Not Mac.
post #388 of 2053 Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Only the PS3 and WiiU. Not Mac.

Does the Harmony remote emulate a Wiimote when it controls the Wii? Same question for PS3? Because a wiimote can control OS X with third party software (I think Remote Buddy), so I wonder if there is a workaround for that. Also, I think a PS3 remote can control OS X as well with the same software. That would be a lot better for control than using the xbmc programming that emulates multiple apple remotes within the Harmony.
post #389 of 2053 Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM

Liked: 13
Can I control my Nest thermostat from Logitech Ultimate that I just bought?
post #390 of 2053 Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmid View Post

Can I control my Nest thermostat from Logitech Ultimate that I just bought?

So far the Hue lights are the only thing controlled via IP.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page