Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
post #451 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested to know the answer to xienze's questions as well, but I don't have the 900 blasters and need to get one more for the TV (all other components are in cabinet).

Would these, along with a 3.5 to 2.5 mm adapter, work? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=8059&seq=1&format=3#specification

Is there a better option out there (ideally something that can gently adhere to the TV trim and not appear obtrusive)? Any other equipment I need to make the IR blaster work? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58

Here's a link to the info page that should help:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-smart-control?crid=60

There are no "Blaster not found" issues that I'm aware of. The system works pretty flawlessly in my experience. The remote communicates with the hub solely by RF. The hub then converts those commands to IR as well as bluetooth (for PS3, XBox and Wii-U)

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #453 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrophenia View Post

Would these, along with a 3.5 to 2.5 mm adapter, work? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=8059&seq=1&format=3#specification

1. SANOXY 50 Foot 3.5mm Stereo Headphone Extension Cable Gold - $6 Amazon Link
  2. 3.5mm MALE TO 2.5mm FEMALE STEREO HEADPHONE ADAPTER FOR IPHONE / BLACK - $2.50 Amazon Link
  3. Headset Adapter 3.5mm to 2.5mm Audio Adapter and Converter (Black) - 2.5MM - Male - 3.5mm FEMALE - $2 Amazon Link

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #454 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrophenia View Post
Is there a better option out there (ideally something that can gently adhere to the TV trim and not appear obtrusive)? Any other equipment I need to make the IR blaster work? Thanks in advance!

The Harmony's emitter is not the "stick on" type as NextGen, Sewell and other IR blasters use. You can simply lay it on the shelf below your TV. I prefer this since its not as obtrusive and I don't have something that looks like a bug sticking to the front of my $2k television.

post #455 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Answers to your HSC questions below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by xienze View Post

1. What does the physical remote use to communicate with the hub
The remote uses RF. There have been zero issues communicating the with the hub. My hub is located in a closet in another room (behind the wall that the TV is mounted on.

2. For my 900's IR blaster I purchased (from Logitech) what I call "break out IR leads" that attach to the IR blaster and provide targeted IR relay to individual devices. Do these still work on the Ultimate's hub?
Yes, they should work, but YOU DON'T NEED THEM as long as your devices are in the same cabinet or media closet that you place the hub. It has 360 degree blast radius and bounces off walls. No need for emitters attached to every device like other IR blasters require. You will only need a single IR lead going from the blaster to your TV.

3. If I had two remotes, i.e., one physical remote and one iPhone, is the hub smart enough to let me use common devices at the same time? For example, I have two TVs that are fed by a matrix switch. If I use the "watch TV, bedroom" activity it'll turn on the bedroom TV, DirecTV, and change the input used by one of the matrix outputs. Is the hub smart enough to not turn off the DirecTV receiver if, at the same time, I turned on the "watch Blu-Ray, living room" activity?
The hub doesn't determine this. You determine this when you setup the activities. The hub just responds to your activity commands. It blasts them out as IR or Bluetooth depending on the target device for the activity command.

post #456 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

The hub doesn't determine this. You determine this when you setup the activities. The hub just responds to your activity commands. It blasts them out as IR or Bluetooth depending on the target device for the activity command.

Well, maybe I wasn't specific here. What I mean is that traditionally with the Harmony remotes you program your activities based on the assumption that you're only using one thing at a time. So if I transition from "watch TV" to "watch DVD" the Harmony knows that the DirecTV receiver is on and therefore turns it off before turning the DVD player on. So now that the hub can support multiple remotes, if I had DirecTV in use in the bedroom could I do "watch DVD" in the living room and NOT have the Harmony turn off the DirecTV receiver? Furthermore, if there are some shared devices in the mix that are normally turned off when I press "off" (like the matrix switch in my example), would pressing "off" for "watch DVD" in the living room keep those shared devices on since the Harmony "knows" that I'm watching something in the other room?

I realize that I could program my activities in such a way that everything just stays "on" but obviously I don't want to do that.
post #457 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Sorry, I only use a single remote for my blaster. I'm not familiar with how the hub responds to commands from multiple remotes (aside from the fact that I can control the hub with the iPhone as well as the remote, but that doesn't sound like your situation). Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

To clarify on your second question, the harmony hub's IR ports are 2.5mm. Assuming that your 900 IR emitters are 2.5mm, you should be fine. However, if you need adapters to handle 2.5mm to 3.5mm step, I've got a post in this thread, back a few that details my adapter shopping list that should help.

Bottom line is that I've used the NextGen system for several years and thought that was the sh%t until I discovered the HSC system. Best control system I've ever encountered.

post #458 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Mini Blasters for the 900 remote are also 2.5mm. These Mini Blasters will also work with the Hubs for the Ultimate and Smart Control
post #459 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
quick question. Can I control my pc through Bluetooth with this remote. The reason why I ask is you can control you pc with Bluetooth with the ps3 remote. Or will there be a update that will allow of control of a pc.

Thanks.
post #460 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

quick question. Can I control my pc through Bluetooth with this remote. The reason why I ask is you can control you pc with Bluetooth with the ps3 remote. Or will there be a update that will allow of control of a pc.

Thanks.

Its my understanding that the bluetooth is currently limited to operating the PS3 and Wii devices.

However, I suppose if the Harmony team programs a generic PC profile into the software, its possible that it could extend reach beyond these devices.

post #461 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM

I have the blasters from Logitech, and can route the IR, thanks for the links for the extensions, not sure if I'll need them, but handy to have available. I have a (arguably redundant) IR receiver from my HDMI matrix there already,

My scenario is that I have 10 devices in two areas I want to control but like having the inexpensive remote for my kids to use. I find it silly to have to spend an extra $180 to enable the extra 7 devices for a more fragile remote, was hoping to avoid it..
post #462 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply!
Well, maybe I wasn't specific here. What I mean is that traditionally with the Harmony remotes you program your activities based on the assumption that you're only using one thing at a time. So if I transition from "watch TV" to "watch DVD" the Harmony knows that the DirecTV receiver is on and therefore turns it off before turning the DVD player on. So now that the hub can support multiple remotes, if I had DirecTV in use in the bedroom could I do "watch DVD" in the living room and NOT have the Harmony turn off the DirecTV receiver? Furthermore, if there are some shared devices in the mix that are normally turned off when I press "off" (like the matrix switch in my example), would pressing "off" for "watch DVD" in the living room keep those shared devices on since the Harmony "knows" that I'm watching something in the other room?

I realize that I could program my activities in such a way that everything just stays "on" but obviously I don't want to do that.

The hub maintains state. If you change activities using the remote, you'll see it reflected on your phone app. I can confirm this happens.

I have a matrix switch as well and was thinking about how I can have one 15 device hub for the 2 separate rooms. I don't think it will work in the end because of the hub being the "brain", as opposed to if the remote was the "brain", and the hub just a repeater like in the 890/900 remotes.
post #463 of 2469 Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I do not believe that the hub can be used with CEC controlled devices.

During my HSC setup, one of the first things it instructed me to do was to disable CEC device control.

Yeah, I guess that would confuse the system.

So what solution has anyone come up with for a sleep timer? I use mine everyday.
post #464 of 2469 Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcoupe View Post

Yeah, I guess that would confuse the system.

So what solution has anyone come up with for a sleep timer? I use mine everyday.
Add a TV discrete ON to the start of your activity or perform a master off in the morning before running any activities.
post #465 of 2469 Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply!

Doesn't matter if you're using multiple remotes. If Directv is in your BR activity, it will stay on because its still in use.
post #466 of 2469 Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I can't seem to get the smart control hub to turn on my xbox 360 slim. can someone assist?

tried moving the hub around so that its right next to the console (above, in front of, etc.) but no go. just doesn't seem to be able to detect. Saw this article but doesn't seem to do anything:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10748/~/my-xbox-360-is-not-responding-to-my-harmony-remote
post #467 of 2469 Old 07-20-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You have to enable IR (xbox media remote) in the Xbox and aim your hub/blaster directly at the little eject button on the right. Can't be above, below or off to the side, must be dead straight on. Make sure you pick the right profile on harmony too.
henhowc likes this.
post #468 of 2469 Old 07-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

I haven't had an issue with the battery life so far, but I tend to put the Ultimate in its charger at night when I shut everything down. I'll leave it off the charger and see how it is over night and go longer from there. I know that Keith had posted last week or so that he had his off the charger for a for a few days before it was completely drained.

Well I can't reproduce that again. I left my remote overnight with around the same level of battery displayed on the screen, and the next morning it still worked. Strange. The first time I never got a low battery warning the night before, the next morning it would just not turn on. I guess it's because the remote was still new, and the battery had only been recharged overnight once? Anyway I'm still very happy with this remote.

My one complaint for an otherwise perfect remote after a week of use is I wish they had skip back/forward and fast forward/rewind as separate little buttons instead of short and long presses. I use skip forward often, usually pressing it 6-7 times and that gets me through commercials. And then to skip through long breaks like halftime at sporting events I fast forward 4x, and it's more difficult to do both with the long/short presses. Maybe a new design for the next model?
post #469 of 2469 Old 07-20-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 413X3 View Post

Well I can't reproduce that again. I left my remote overnight with around the same level of battery displayed on the screen, and the next morning it still worked. Strange. The first time I never got a low battery warning the night before, the next morning it would just not turn on. I guess it's because the remote was still new, and the battery had only been recharged overnight once? Anyway I'm still very happy with this remote.

My one complaint for an otherwise perfect remote after a week of use is I wish they had skip back/forward and fast forward/rewind as separate little buttons instead of short and long presses. I use skip forward often, usually pressing it 6-7 times and that gets me through commercials. And then to skip through long breaks like halftime at sporting events I fast forward 4x, and it's more difficult to do both with the long/short presses. Maybe a new design for the next model?

Well there's two things you can do. One is set up short press and long press based on your priority. The other is to use swipe gestures on the touchscreen. I use the swipe gestures, and that works pretty good for skipping through commercials.
post #470 of 2469 Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 PM

I wish the matte material was used on the entire underside of the smart control physical remote. The glossy plastic near the top is already scratched to hell just from sitting on my coffee table. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You have to enable IR (xbox media remote) in the Xbox and aim your hub/blaster directly at the little eject button on the right. Can't be above, below or off to the side, must be dead straight on. Make sure you pick the right profile on harmony too.

Thanks. Dang Xbox is so finicky. Finally after a tone of trial and error was able to find a placement of the hub that was able to get the IR working consistently
post #471 of 2469 Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Any pros / cons if only purchasing the hub by itself for $100 and using a android phone rather than the whole package with the ultimate or even the smart remote?? And if purchased like that is the option to buy either remote separate at a later date if one decided they wanted to??
post #472 of 2469 Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post

Any pros / cons if only purchasing the hub by itself for $100 and using a android phone rather than the whole package with the ultimate or even the smart remote?? And if purchased like that is the option to buy either remote separate at a later date if one decided they wanted to??

The extra $30 for the remote is well worth it IMO. The remote is the unsung hero in this package. Its so much more than "simple".

- Most responsive RF remote I've ever tested

- Size and shape just fits the hand. Nice balance, unique button contours allow it to be operated blindly.

- Incredibly efficient. Only uses a single CR2032 Coin cell battery (You can get a 5 pack for $2) that lasts a whole year before you'll ever need to replace. The key to this is that it does not have an LCD touchscreen to suck battery life.

post #473 of 2469 Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post

going to have to concur with previous poster that the remote on the smart control is great. i general though, i am not a fan of using mobile devices or tablets as a control due to the lack of tactile feedback. when i was trying to use my iphone i tended to have to look down at the remote just to do simple tasks like changing the channel and volume. for me it is much easier to operate a physical remote blindly
post #474 of 2469 Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 PM

Is it a backlit remote?
post #475 of 2469 Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:

- Incredibly efficient. Only uses a single CR2032 Coin cell battery (You can get a 5 pack for $2) that lasts a whole year before you'll ever need to replace.

Is the battery on this remote replaceable? If so, how do you open it to get to the battery?
post #476 of 2469 Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylc View Post

Is it a backlit remote?

No. However, once you get used to the layout and feel of where the button groups are, you won't miss backlighting. This also helps keep the power requirements low and is why they can get away with the small coin battery that makes the remote smaller (and more suitable for fitting in your hand) than typical.

post #477 of 2469 Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtuv View Post

Is the battery on this remote replaceable? If so, how do you open it to get to the battery?

Yes, it uses a single CR2032 lithium coin cell battery (You can get a pack of 5 for  $2 at Amazon) 

bnimks and owtuv like this.

post #478 of 2469 Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bough the Harmony Ultimate (915) and love it, great remote. My only challenge right now is getting it to turn off my Sony projector. It requires you to press power TWICE and the Harmony remote doesn't see to learn that.

Help please?
post #479 of 2469 Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:

The extra $30 for the remote is well worth it IMO. The remote is the unsung hero in this package. Its so much more than "simple".

- Most responsive RF remote I've ever tested
- Size and shape just fits the hand. Nice balance, unique button contours allow it to be operated blindly.
- Incredibly efficient. Only uses a single CR2032 Coin cell battery (You can get a 5 pack for $2) that lasts a whole year before you'll ever need to replace. The key to this is that it does not have an LCD touchscreen to suck battery life.

Yes I see the benefit of having the physical remote for the minimal $30 extra, and I would imagine if down the road I wanted to get the ultimate remote instead I can just purchase that as well seperately? My biggest concern is IR to the TV? Does the smart remote support IR and RF output like the ultimate? I need the RF capability for my components in the closet but will I have to run a blaster wire out to the TV from the hub or will the smart remote transmit IR just to my TV in its sequence to turn on/off etc.???
post #480 of 2469 Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 AM

I'm not aware of any way to purchase the "simple" remote as a stand alone product. Its probably available direct from Logitech, but I haven't researched that.

The remote is RF only. It has no known IR capabilities. You will need to run the included IR emitter cable from the hub to your TV. I've included a pic below of mine. My media closet is in the room behind the wall that the TV is hung on. For that reason, I had to run cable through the walls. Since I already had cable there for the TV connections, I just fished the cable through that.

As you can see from the pic, the emitter does not have to be attached to the TV. Just make sure it has line of sight to the IR receiver on the TV.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control