Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM
0db

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post

Thanks for the update 0db - I've passed this over to our device data guys for them to see what's up!

I suspect it's just a case of the same cheap electronics being sold under several names and left for the user to figure out... I was actually pretty impressed when MyHarmony figured out what it was and got it working for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

My Harmony Ultimate has suddenly developed a small glitch: the backlight never shuts off and the little animation at the top row of the display is constantly moving.

I have not changed the timeout setting, it is set to the default 10 seconds.

I tried a re-synchronization but it did not help.

Is there an easy fix for this or should I RMA?

Hi politby,

You may also want to try rebooting your remote. To do this, press and hole the OFF button for approx 10 seconds, or until the screen powers off and on again. The remote is likely stuck in a weird state -- hopefully that will help!

Regards,

Sylvain

Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Loving my Ultimate. A great replacement for my 900. No problem with the repositioned playback controls, despite it seeming a bit "odd". My only gripe is with the missing number buttons which me often need to put in our parental PIN for TiVo. It would be great if there were at least a dedicated button for the number pad, like Favorites or Home, or even if a long press of one of those brought it up, but it's a relatively small thing on a great remote.

Hi jong1,

A possible workaround to rapidly access the number screen would be to set it as your default startup screen. That way, whenever you need to access the numbers, you can tap Home, select your Activity, and you will be on the numbers screen.

To change your Activity startup screen, tap Menu >> Settings >> Activities >> Startup Screen on your remote.

I understand this is a bit of a workaround, but hopefully it will help smile.gif

Regards

Sylvain

Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Yes, this is what I wanted you to confirm. This is good to hear.
I'll try to provide some examples later. But think of your power and input state tracking as flags that the user cannot access. If the user could set and test his own flags, he could track other things and make decisions in macros (sequences)
Yes. I realize this will require totally new hardware like RS-232 interfaces, etc.
I understand they may withhold this information for that purpose, but years later when the vendor and customer no longer have a relationship, the customer should be able to recover his settings rather than start from scratch. This is a very common request in your forum.
Exactly like that. But you could enhance it and allow the user to configure it anyway he likes (create any groups of screens with any names)

These are just wishlist items. The software is perfectly usable by most people as it is.

Thanks for clarifying mdavej!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

(edited for typos)

Hi Mikeclough24

To leave devices on between Activities and only power it off when the Off button is pressed, select your device in your MyHarmony account and click Change Device Settings >> Power Settings >> I want to keep this device on when switching Activities and only turn it off when I press the Off button. Don't forget to sync your remote to apply this change!

(For those unfamiliar with this feature, this is a recent addition to MyHarmony that is useful when, for example, wanting to switch from a Play Game Activity over to Watch TV to check the news or a game score. Setting your Game Console to remain on between Activities will not power it off and cause you to lose your in-game status.)

Sylvain

Even on the new myharmony? I always did that with my old harmony one but couldnt find this device settings option on the new harmony software. Im at work at the moment but i will look again as soon as i get home.

Mike Clough #24
Old 10-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks also smr06! I've made note of these requests. These also all make sense, just one comment about

>Be able to set repeat bits and command duration on a per-command basis
>-- for example, WDTV-Live has two OFF durations, one for standby and one for full off.
>Currently the only way to change the duration is via Logitech Support.

Durations can be changed at the device level in MyHarmony - go to Device >> Change device settings >> Power Settings >> and keepo your defaults until you reach the Power on / off commands screen. Here you can set the duration for your power commands. I understand this isn't flexbile enough to cater to the different needs each Activity may have, but hopefully is a good enough workaround to get you what you need!

Regards

Sylvain

I will give this a try and see if it works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Wish list:
- Flags, variables, conditional branching, feedback (I don't expect this to ever happen as it would be a pretty huge undertaking, but thought I'd put it out there)

Quote:

Would you be able to provide a few examples of flags and variables put in day to day Harmony use to help me understand, please?

I'm not mdavej but here's one use case for variables and flags:

When watching TV via a set-top box (for example), there are times when you wish to keep the AVR off, and just use the TV speakers for casual listening; at other times you want to turn on the AVR and get the full 5.1 treatment. (This is easy enough, since recent AVRs have HDMI pass-through -- and some can switch sources via user input even when in standby mode).

Currently the "official" way of doing this within Harmony is to create separate activities for each case -- but that leads to a proliferation of activities, and associated user overhead. Not to mention, the 6-activity limit for the Smart Control (hard remote).

A better way would be to have one activity cover both cases, and have a macro to toggle the AVR power. If the AVR is off, the volume buttons control the TV; if the AVR is on, the volume buttons control the AVR.
Code:
[Macro (softkey)]:   If AVR is OFF, then [AVR.PowerOn, set input to cable box];  else, [AVR.PowerOff].
[Volume +]:          If AVR is OFF, then [TV.Volume +];  else [AVR.Volume +].
[Volume -]:          If AVR is OFF, then [TV.Volume - ]; else [AVR.Volume -].
[Mute]:              If AVR is OFF, then [TV.Mute];      else [AVR.Mute].

I'm sure there are other use cases. How to integrate such functionality into the programming UI, in a way that is not confusing to the user -- that is an open question :-)

--smr06
Old 10-21-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I tried a search and didn't see anything. I currently have an old 890 I've been using but a few of the number buttons aren't working well and it's probably time to move on. One problem I have had with it is that with my directv hd dvr, HR24 I think, I get a lot of 2 key presses where the guide or list will jump up in multiples making it a pain to get the show I really want. It seems to have been a common issue and I wonder if this is still a problem with the Ultimate?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

If you look back at the beginning of this thread you'll see that a lot of people had concerns about the lack of certain buttons and some other features of the Ultimate, but those comments have died off, and mainly come from people that haven't used it. Also, the software has matured quite a bit since it's release.

Yeah, I had detected that much, I'll start a dedicated thread later for more thorough analysis & input from others...
Not 100% convinced that it or one of the Harmony's are a better option than one of the "pro" remotes, but not a huge priority ATM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

I tried a search and didn't see anything. I currently have an old 890 I've been using but a few of the number buttons aren't working well and it's probably time to move on. One problem I have had with it is that with my directv hd dvr, HR24 I think, I get a lot of 2 key presses where the guide or list will jump up in multiples making it a pain to get the show I really want. It seems to have been a common issue and I wonder if this is still a problem with the Ultimate?
Try reducing the repeats
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Didn't buy this remote yet. Does anyone know if the database of codes contain ones for the Lutron RadioRa 600L light switches?

"It's time to nut up or shut up."
Old 10-22-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi jong1,

A possible workaround to rapidly access the number screen would be to set it as your default startup screen. That way, whenever you need to access the numbers, you can tap Home, select your Activity, and you will be on the numbers screen.

To change your Activity startup screen, tap Menu >> Settings >> Activities >> Startup Screen on your remote.

I understand this is a bit of a workaround, but hopefully it will help smile.gif

Regards

Sylvain
Thanks Sylvain,

Sadly that will not really help as the majority of the time the favourites are exactly what we want after starting the activity. From there it is two swipes to the number screen, which is needed most of the time we want to watch a recorded show (for PIN). A way to set a screen to show when long pressing either the home or favourites button (probably favourites) might be a nice solution.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Just put the pin in a sequence.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, but then its hardly a PIN! How long do you think it would take our kids to work that one out? smile.gif
Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post

Try reducing the repeats

Tried that, but it doesn't seem to matter what I set it to.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Monger you should get onto support and get your problem escalated to 3rd line (back in Canada I think. At least they were).

There has never been a problem like that that they have not been able to fix for me - on my 895, my 900, and most recently, just today, with my new Ultimate. Once you get to them they are amazing.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Thanks, but then its hardly a PIN! How long do you think it would take our kids to work that one out? smile.gif
I used it for years, and my kids never figured it out (that I know of). Just give it a creative name like "Factory Defaults" or "Business Channel". Each of my activities has several pages of commands, and nobody ever goes past the first page in my house. They'd rather ask me than hunt for anything.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

smile.gif mdavej, its an elegant amusing solution. Still I trust the first time my son sees me press only one button for the pin he'll work it out!

Thanks for the idea, but I still think it would be good to have a fast way to the digits (for other purposes too), given they are so easy to access on 95% of remotes, which have separate buttons for them!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24 View Post

Even on the new myharmony? I always did that with my old harmony one but couldnt find this device settings option on the new harmony software. Im at work at the moment but i will look again as soon as i get home.

This feature actually works better on MyHarmony.

On the Desktop version, this setting applied to the whole Activity, whereas MyHarmony lets you decide which individual devices should behave like this.

Regards,

Sylvain

Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post

Didn't buy this remote yet. Does anyone know if the database of codes contain ones for the Lutron RadioRa 600L light switches?
Lutron RA-600L is in the database.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr06 View Post

I'm not mdavej but here's one use case for variables and flags:

When watching TV via a set-top box (for example), there are times when you wish to keep the AVR off, and just use the TV speakers for casual listening; at other times you want to turn on the AVR and get the full 5.1 treatment. (This is easy enough, since recent AVRs have HDMI pass-through -- and some can switch sources via user input even when in standby mode).

Currently the "official" way of doing this within Harmony is to create separate activities for each case -- but that leads to a proliferation of activities, and associated user overhead. Not to mention, the 6-activity limit for the Smart Control (hard remote).

A better way would be to have one activity cover both cases, and have a macro to toggle the AVR power. If the AVR is off, the volume buttons control the TV; if the AVR is on, the volume buttons control the AVR.
Code:
[Macro (softkey)]:   If AVR is OFF, then [AVR.PowerOn, set input to cable box];  else, [AVR.PowerOff].
[Volume +]:          If AVR is OFF, then [TV.Volume +];  else [AVR.Volume +].
[Volume -]:          If AVR is OFF, then [TV.Volume - ]; else [AVR.Volume -].
[Mute]:              If AVR is OFF, then [TV.Mute];      else [AVR.Mute].

I'm sure there are other use cases. How to integrate such functionality into the programming UI, in a way that is not confusing to the user -- that is an open question :-)

--smr06
Took me a while to get round to this but +1 to this request. It is probably the biggest quality of life improvement you could make to my remote!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Hi

I am using a Harmony Smart Control Hub & Remote on firmware version 3.3.34

I would like to set an activity with my TV included but not powered-on. The reason is because I want to use the radio feature of one of the other devices in the activity which also has a TV picture output. I would like to be able to power-on the TV should I need to see the radio guide of that device on my TV.

In order to be able to power-on the TV I need to add it to the activity to set buttons on the remote but do not want the TV to power-on unless needed; I will set one of the buttons as power toggle.

Is it possible to add devices to activities without having them power-on?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTemplar View Post

Hi

I am using a Harmony Smart Control Hub & Remote on firmware version 3.3.34

I would like to set an activity with my TV included but not powered-on. The reason is because I want to use the radio feature of one of the other devices in the activity which also has a TV picture output. I would like to be able to power-on the TV should I need to see the radio guide of that device on my TV.

In order to be able to power-on the TV I need to add it to the activity to set buttons on the remote but do not want the TV to power-on unless needed; I will set one of the buttons as power toggle.

Is it possible to add devices to activities without having them power-on?

The easiest way would be to teach the "power" command from the original TV remote to one of the devices already in your activity (i.e. AVR). You can name it "TV POWER" and then add that command to any free button in your activity. Just remember, when you use that button you are essentially doing it "behind the remote's back" so it does not know that the TV has been turned on, and therefore will not turn it back off when you hit the "OFF" button.
jTemplar likes this.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:05 PM

Many thanks for your suggestion - I'll give it a go. smile.gif
Old 10-26-2013, 02:15 AM

Unfortunately the solution suggested by Dropkick Murphy doesn't work for me as despite teaching the power command from the original TV remote to one of the devices already in my activity and naming it "TV POWER" and then adding that command to a free button in my activity it tries but does not manage to power-on the TV. My Panasonic TV needs the power button to be pressed and held for a couple of seconds before it will power-on.

I remember when setting-up this TV with my first Harmony remote back in 2007 having to call technical support because of the same issue and they managed to do something which extended the longevity of the power IR so managing to power-on my TV. Because I imported all my settings to the Harmony Smart it is able to power-on my TV within activities which have the TV included but I cannot access that command nor teach it to my new Smart.

I guess I will have to call Technical Support again.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Hi there, need some help with my hub. I just upgraded my router but i can't figure out how to connect the hub to the new network. I need to make some adjustments to my activities, but it won't let me because the hub isn't on the new network. I have the smart control system. Help!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
my remote is stuck with x's next to all the favorites and will not let me do any thing else.
Please help!!
SYNC on the MYHARMONY website does nothing
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
When I watch a bluray movie on the PS3, there is that popup menu showing all the different options like pause play volume, menu, etc. How do I remove the on screen display by default?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 AM

OK, I've read 20 pages and cannot find my answer so I'm going to ask.

I have the smart Control. Is there volume punch through?

I cannot control my master volume when on the DVD or cable box pages of the app. I need to go to devices, and select the processor to do it.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not in device mode, only in activity mode. All Harmony's work that way.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 413X3 View Post

When I watch a bluray movie on the PS3, there is that popup menu showing all the different options like pause play volume, menu, etc. How do I remove the on screen display by default?

It has something to do with the ps3 thinking there is no controller so it gives me an on screen display for bluray movies. There must be a way to turn this off or disable it. It didn't happen with my Harmony One, just the Harmony Ultimate.

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control