post #1531 of 2171 Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleCrusher View Post

I have the Smart Control. I'm using the hub without the IR blaster because I'm only controlling 3 devices, in an open rack, and the hub is located right there with them.

However, volume controls don't always work. Other functions might also be affected, but it's most noticeable with volume.

I see the green light on the hub flashing, but the volume on my Marantz NR1602 does not change. Then, "suddenly", it'll work. It can be quite flaky. Last night it didn't work well at all; this morning - no problem. It does not matter if I'm using the Phone App (android) or the Simple Remote. I tend to use activities, I'm unsure if this tends to happen after switching activities a few times - it does seem that it gets "worse" through the day, but I could be imagining that. smile.gif

Should I also use the IR blaster anyway?

Is there anything I need to check/reboot/pay attention to when this happens to help diagnose my issue?

I have run into this from time to time and the way I have fixed it was to unplug the Hub for a minute or two and then reconnect it again and that seems to correct this issue. JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2171 Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
UNEXPECTED HARD BUTTON BEHAVIOR

Not that the "unexpected" behavior just started, it has always functioned this way and is inconsistent with the function of it's sister LCD button (same function)

The hard buttons >> and << are set to Short Press-Chapter Long Press Fast Forward/ Fast Reverse

On the LCD buttons there are the same functions included in that list as well.

The problem comes into play when I want to Fast Forward through a DVD. When the hard button is long pressed, and held depressed, it only forwards (reverses) the DVD 4 seconds, as opposed to the LCD Fast Forward/Fast Reverse buttons that advances/reverses the DVD continuously, which is what I desire, as long as that button is depressed.

Why can't the hard button function this way?

Why can't there be a software upgrade to allow it to function the same way the LCD button functions when it is continuously depressed?
post #1533 of 2171 Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

I have run into this from time to time and the way I have fixed it was to unplug the Hub for a minute or two and then reconnect it again and that seems to correct this issue. JT

Thanks JT, I'll give that a shot. Simply powering it off and back on has no effect. I'll catch it in the act (probably tonight) and will see if unplugging cures the issue.

Update: I had the problem today - unplugged and waited 30 seconds. Plugged the hub back in, and so far - so good. I'm hoping this isn't a recurring issue.
post #1534 of 2171 Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 AM

Liked: 11
Can someone help me with the positioning of the hub and if/or when the ir blaster is necessary?
post #1535 of 2171 Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Right now my Hub is sitting on a shelf in front of the TV, I am not using the Mini Blasters, and the Hub controls the TV, 3 devices on a shelf under the TV with no line of sight to the Hub, and two devices on a shelf abobe the TV and again they have no line of sight to the Hub, the Hub also controls a device in another room through the use of an IR repeater. I have never had a problem controlling any of these devices with this setup.
post #1536 of 2171 Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM

I thought ir was line of sight?
post #1537 of 2171 Old 01-26-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnoon View Post

IR is line of sight and also bounces off things like walls. I also use the hub without any blasters. The hub is setting on top of my Dish receiver and the dvd player is up one shelf and the avr is above that on the next shelf. The tv is RP
and setting on the floor next to all of that. The commands are set to BOTH (remote and hub) but I still do not have any problems controlling anything from even the back yard.
post #1538 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 06:01 AM

Liked: 10
I didn't see this answered in the sticky on the first page, but does the Harmony Ultimate support multiple room configurations?

I'm coming from the 890 Pro which has this ability and I would hate to lose the ability to program multiple devices from 2 rooms, since the 890 Pro is still going strong.
post #1539 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Highnoon, think of the hub as a lamp and your remote and blasters as flashlights. If the light from any of those shines on your devices, you're fine. Assuming all your devices are IR, meaning not a PS3, Wii or Philips Hue, then they all must be line of sight with the hub or a blaster or your remote.
post #1540 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 AM

Unlike the 890 and 890 Pro, the Ultimate can only support one Hub, the 890 & 890 Pro can have multible RF Extenders paired to it. If your devices are in one room, and the TV in another, you can control the other devices with the Hub, and the TV with the remote
post #1541 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM

So...does the remote bundled with the hub work both on ir and rf?
I understood that the connection between the hub and remote is rf...But you're telling me the remote also communicates directly via ir to the tv etc? And the hub and blaster are essentially repeaters?
post #1542 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're talking about the Ultimate (not the Smart Control), that's correct. Works the same as every other RF remote ever made. Whether the remote itself sends both is a config setting.
post #1543 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Sorry, I have the Harmony Smart Control --- how does that change the situation?
post #1544 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I have the Harmony Smart Control --- how does that change the situation?
The Smart itself has no IR capability whatsoever. So plan on having the hub or blaster LOS with all your devices.
post #1545 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 12:43 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

For IR "line of sight" includes also bouncing off a wall or a ceiling...
hltr likes this.
post #1546 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl007 
I was wondering if anyone is succesfully able to control the PS3 using the harmony ultimate and or smart hub with the PS3 updated to the latest firmware (4.53)

The following issue that was noted by other users prior to the latest PS3 firmware update on Dec. 4. 2013 is noted below and is identical to my current issues.

Logitech customer support via telephone has told me that there are multiple complaints from users with similar issues and that this is due to the PS3 firmware update which they are working on a fix for, but the quote below predates the firmware update by 1 month.

{I've paired the Harmonly Ultimate many times with the PS3 and each pairing is successful. And, the remote initially works with the PS3 for that session while the PS3 is on.

However, as soon as I go to another activity and choose activity to "Play PS3" again, it will switch to and cut on the PS3 showing the remote on the PS3 device. But, from then on, the remote doesn't work with the PS3. It fails to respond. I see the hub is getting the commands because the green light blinks when I push the remote buttons. But, the PS3 doesn't respond to any commands assuming it is even receiving the commands from the hub (which the PS3 acts like "oh...well i didn't get any command"). I try selecting the PS3 device directly on the remote and using it. Same [link removed] response.

The only way I have found to fix this is to unplug the hub and plug it back in. Then, choose the activity "Play PS3" again (which the PS3 is already on from choosing the activity before) and now it works. But, as soon as I choose another activity and try to come back to the PS3 activity again, I have to repeat these same steps or re-pair the PS3 to the remote.

I was able to control the PS3 before but it doesn't work now. It is consistently broken now. The PS3 is on the latest version and the hub/remote are on the latest firmware. I tried re-flashing the firmware on both devices and I also tried deleting the PS3 device and re-adding. Nothing works. I've tried everything I can think of...syncing, re-doing from scratch, re-pairing, reflowing the hub.

I know the remote works with the PS3 immediately after pairing. It just doesn't continue to work when you leave the activity and come back. It only turns it on but fails to function after that unless I take the steps mentioned previously.}

Anybody?? Either able to control the PS3 or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl007 View Post

Hey Sylvain,

Any updates on a fix for the known issue with the harmony ultimate and PS3 firmware version 4.53? Thanks

Hi bartl007,

Thanks for the reminder. One of our QA guys took a look and we're unable to reproduce this. I took a shot at it myself and switched between a PS3, Wii and various other IR Activities for a while and the PS3 always responded.

The next time this happens, could you please submit logs from your remote (Settings > General > Send logs) and PM me the email ID of the account this was happening from, please? That'll give our engineering team a good starting point when looking at this issue.

Thanks

Sylvain

post #1547 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleCrusher View Post

I have the Smart Control. I'm using the hub without the IR blaster because I'm only controlling 3 devices, in an open rack, and the hub is located right there with them.

However, volume controls don't always work. Other functions might also be affected, but it's most noticeable with volume.

I see the green light on the hub flashing, but the volume on my Marantz NR1602 does not change. Then, "suddenly", it'll work. It can be quite flaky. Last night it didn't work well at all; this morning - no problem. It does not matter if I'm using the Phone App (android) or the Simple Remote. I tend to use activities, I'm unsure if this tends to happen after switching activities a few times - it does seem that it gets "worse" through the day, but I could be imagining that. smile.gif

Should I also use the IR blaster anyway?

Is there anything I need to check/reboot/pay attention to when this happens to help diagnose my issue?

Hi CubicleCrusher,

The next time this happens, could you also please submit logs to MyHarmony and PM me your email ID? Smart Control logs can either be submitted from the Settings menu in the app, or by pressing and holding the '.-' and 'E' buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. I'll ask our engineering team to take a look as well.

Thanks,

Sylvain

post #1548 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

UNEXPECTED HARD BUTTON BEHAVIOR

Not that the "unexpected" behavior just started, it has always functioned this way and is inconsistent with the function of it's sister LCD button (same function)

The hard buttons >> and << are set to Short Press-Chapter Long Press Fast Forward/ Fast Reverse

On the LCD buttons there are the same functions included in that list as well.

The problem comes into play when I want to Fast Forward through a DVD. When the hard button is long pressed, and held depressed, it only forwards (reverses) the DVD 4 seconds, as opposed to the LCD Fast Forward/Fast Reverse buttons that advances/reverses the DVD continuously, which is what I desire, as long as that button is depressed.

Why can't the hard button function this way?

Why can't there be a software upgrade to allow it to function the same way the LCD button functions when it is continuously depressed?

Hi CaptMike,

What you are doing on the LCD screen is what we call a hold action - IR will continually be sent until the button is released. The volume hard buttons work this way too. Other hard buttons, to which a long press can be assigned do not have the ability to perform hold actions as this interferes with the long press algorithm. LCD buttons allow hold actions since they have no notion of long press.

In other words, the ability to long press would have to be sacrificed in order for hold actions to be usable again on hard buttons.

I hope that made sense biggrin.gif

Sylvain

post #1549 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 04:52 PM

Hi -
Just got a new UN65F9000 and trying to get my Harmony Ultimate to work with it. The Harmony set-up seems to find this TV in it's DB and the Device menu shows what appear to be all the right buttons but absolutely nothing works - it's like the TV doesn't get the signal at all. I see the Harmony hub blink so I know the remote sent a signal, but somehow it's getting lost on the way to TV.

I've tried removing the device and re-adding it, tried adding variations of the model also with no luck.

Should mention that I've also tried changing placement of IR sensor, my distance from remote to sensor/tv, etc… IR extender and TV are on same shelf, too. Have tried PowerOn delay settings from 1 to 8 seconds also.

Anyone else have this combo working or have suggestions?

Thanks!
post #1550 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Liked: 20
I operate my F9000 with a Galaxy Tab 2 using TouchSquid.
post #1551 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM

In case this helps anyone else - got a great tip from @rlb on the owner's thread for the F9000 TV that fixed my issue. Followed his suggestion to specifying what provides signal for TV. In my case, setting it to remote vs. Hub/repeater did the trick as location of the IR receiver on the TV seems to be really fickle.
post #1552 of 2171 Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post

Hi CaptMike,

What you are doing on the LCD screen is what we call a hold action - IR will continually be sent until the button is released. The volume hard buttons work this way too. Other hard buttons, to which a long press can be assigned do not have the ability to perform hold actions as this interferes with the long press algorithm. LCD buttons allow hold actions since they have no notion of long press.

In other words, the ability to long press would have to be sacrificed in order for hold actions to be usable again on hard buttons.

Sylvain

Can Harmony assign (update) other hard buttons, perhaps the colored buttons, to respond to "hold actions" ?
post #1553 of 2171 Old 01-28-2014, 04:09 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Hi CubicleCrusher,

The next time this happens, could you also please submit logs to MyHarmony and PM me your email ID? Smart Control logs can either be submitted from the Settings menu in the app, or by pressing and holding the '.-' and 'E' buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. I'll ask our engineering team to take a look as well.

Thanks,

Sylvain

Thanks for taking an interest, I'll definitely do this if it recurs.
post #1554 of 2171 Old 01-28-2014, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
From what I understand the Harmony Ultimate's blasters are for hidden components but do they work the same if someone gets in the way? Will it keep remote in sync?
post #1555 of 2171 Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

From what I understand the Harmony Ultimate's blasters are for hidden components but do they work the same if someone gets in the way? Will it keep remote in sync?

You might be confused about the function of the various components of the Harmony system and/or how they communicate.

Hub:
Communicates with the cloud via WIFI in order to get settings you have changed via the web.
Communicates to your devices via Bluetooth (game consoles)
Communicates to your devices via infrared via plug-in blasters and itself (in addition to the plug-in blasters, there are also blasters built into the Hub).
Communicates with your remote for syncing data via (not sure... RF?)

Ultimate remote:
Communicates to the hub using RF. The hub receives the RF communication and then communicates to your devices as outlined above....sort of like someone who can translate from one language to another at the UN. smile.gif The hub receives RF commands, but it always sends commands to devices as IR or Bluetooth.
Can communicate directly to your device via infrared, but ONLY if you have activated it at my harmony.com or in the remote settings (default is hub+blasters). Assigning IR to the remote for a device then stops the Hub (and plug-in blasters) from sending the IR to that device.

So in short, YES someone can get in the way of IR being sent from a blaster or the remote (if it is set to transmit IR) but just wanted to clarify what is being sent, and from where. In its default mode, the remote does not actually communicate directly with your devices...the Hub does.

If anything above is incorrect I'm sure someone will advise and I'll edit.
post #1556 of 2171 Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hltr View Post

Ultimate remote:
The hub receives RF commands, but it always sends commands to components as RF .

You may want to double check that one.
post #1557 of 2171 Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

You may want to double check that one.

Fixed, thanks
post #1558 of 2171 Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM

The Hub receives RF from the remote, but sends IR to the devices not RF to the devices.
post #1559 of 2171 Old 01-28-2014, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hltr View Post

You might be confused about the function of the various components and/or how they communicate.

Hub:
Communicates with the cloud via WIFI in order to get settings you have changed via the web.
Communicates to your components via Bluetooth (game consoles)
Communicates to your components via infrared via plug-in blasters and itself (in addition to the plug-in blasters, there are also blasters built into the Hub).
Communicates with your remote for syncing data via (not sure... RF?)

Ultimate remote:
Communicates to the hub using RF. The hub receives the RF communication and then communicates to your devices as outlined above....sort of like someone who can translate from one language to another at the UN. smile.gif The hub receives RF commands, but it always sends commands to components as IR or Bluetooth.
Can communicate directly to your component via infrared, but ONLY if you have activated it at my harmony.com (default is OFF). Turning this feature on for a component then stops the Hub (and plug-in) blasters for communicating IR to that component.

So in short, YES someone can get in the way of IR being sent from a blaster or the remote (if it is set to transmit IR) but just wanted to clarify what is being sent, and from where.

If anything above is incorrect I'm sure someone will advise and I'll edit.

Thank you, I do not have hidden components but I will change it to IR regardless in case someone happens to get in the way like the kids.
post #1560 of 2171 Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Hi CaptMike,

Sylvain

Then this language that is in the Users Guide is not entirely correct:

"NOTE: Each button on your remote can be assigned more than one command. For example, the Fast Forward button on the top of your remote can be set up so that quickly pressing it (short press) activates the Fast Forward function and holding it (long press) activates the Skip Forward function."

It would lead a person to believe that the FF button will allow continuous FF function ....and not just a spurt of 4 seconds of FF.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page