It sure is a hard habit to break: pointing the remote at the TV. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2175 Old 03-01-2014, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the Ultimate have the same problem as previous remotes where the coating wears off the buttons from your fingernails? I can barely discern the symbols on some of my buttons anymore. Kind of a dumb idea on Logitech's part to make the buttons so fragile.
post #1713 of 2175 Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

Does the Ultimate have the same problem as previous remotes where the coating wears off the buttons from your fingernails? I can barely discern the symbols on some of my buttons anymore. Kind of a dumb idea on Logitech's part to make the buttons so fragile.
Well I've had mine since around the time it was initially released, and there's no wear yet. However I don't use my fingernails as that would be really awkward for me to do.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #1714 of 2175 Old 03-01-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

Well I've had mine since around the time it was initially released, and there's no wear yet. However I don't use my fingernails as that would be really awkward for me to do.

I'm a male. I don't bite my nails so how long they are depends on when I last clipped them. I generally don't use my fingernails to push buttons either but sometimes you hit one button while pressing another and stuff like that. I think unless you keep your nails really short it's inevitable you will hit a button with them occasionally.
post #1715 of 2175 Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So what are you guys doing about turing on your tvs that bought the smart control? I really need IR for that but I dont want to have an ir wire hanging in front of the tv. I dont need all the bells of whistles of the ultimate either.
post #1716 of 2175 Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

So what are you guys doing about turing on your tvs that bought the smart control? I really need IR for that but I dont want to have an ir wire hanging in front of the tv. I dont need all the bells of whistles of the ultimate either.

Two choices:

#1 Put an IR blaster in front of the TV

#2 Turn it on manually

post #1717 of 2175 Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have my hub positioned across the room, on an end table, next to the couch.
post #1718 of 2175 Old 03-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello everyone,

Harmony released Hub FW 3.7.37 today, which contains many improvements to the disconnection issues people have been reporting.

This firmware will install automatically the next time you sync your Harmony Smart Control, Ultimate or Ultimate Hub.

We'll continue to work with people who still experience issues after installing this new firmware, so please reach out via PM either here on to the HarmonyTeam on our official support boards if you continue to experience problems.

Regards to all,

Sylvain

post #1719 of 2175 Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

So what are you guys doing about turing on your tvs that bought the smart control?

My hub is sitting on the table in front of the TV. The TV is hanging on the wall.
post #1720 of 2175 Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post

Hello everyone,

Harmony released Hub FW 3.7.37 today, which contains many improvements to the disconnection issues people have been reporting.

Is this for the hub losing its connection to the wifi, the remote losing its connection to the hub or something else?

thanks, and, BTW, it's awesome your presence on the board.
post #1721 of 2175 Old 03-04-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

Is this for the hub losing its connection to the wifi, the remote losing its connection to the hub or something else?

thanks, and, BTW, it's awesome your presence on the board.

I guess it really does not matter because the the upgrade will be done when you sync whether you want it or not.
post #1722 of 2175 Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I spilled some beer on my ultimate and a few of the buttons now stick! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Anyone know of a good way to clean it safely? It's pretty depressing.

Mike Clough #24
post #1723 of 2175 Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
any chance we will be able to control pc over ip at some point?
post #1724 of 2175 Old 03-05-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Anyone have a similar experience where the top portion of the touch screen on the Ultimate or Touch is intermittently responsive. I don't know if it's normal behavior. It seems to sometimes not sense a touch on the top left of the screen when an activity button is present.

post #1725 of 2175 Old 03-06-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfin View Post

I saw some earlier questions about the Ultimate and Lutron IR dimmers, as a new owner of the Ultimate, I can unequivocally state that it works as advertised. I didn't have to "learn" the codes, it found my model right away for on, off, bright, dim. It manages these well from both the iPad app, as well as the hand-held remote.

With that said though, I'm a little disappointed with how you have to operate the lights. I need to figure out a better way run the activities. For example, I set a watch movie activity with TV, amp, blu-ray, and the lutron. In order to dim it goes full bright than it works to the added commands. Then when I switch to watch tv it goes off then follows the commands of the watch tv activity.

It would be nice to be able to add the commands for a component without having to first do the power on step. If you don't list the item as a power on item to begin with, you don't have the ability to add commands within that activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

+1

I have Lutron IR dimmers and I have my remote set up so it does not turn the lights on or off when starting or ending an activity, which is what I think you want to do.

How I did it: For my Lutron light device, go to the device settings, then change device settings, then power settings. At the next screen I selected "I want to leave this device powered on all the time", then the next screen I selected "I press two different buttons for on and for off". At the next screen for the power on commands and power off commands, I selected/created a "bogus" command that doesn't do anything with the lights. This was to make sure that if the harmony sent a command when I started or stopped an activity, it still wouldn't control the lights.

Hopefully that process makes sense. I now control my lights with the press of a soft button on the screen. I have "all lights on", "lights preset", and "all lights off" on the screen for each of my activities.
tboe77 likes this.
post #1726 of 2175 Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Anyone have a similar experience where the top portion of the touch screen on the Ultimate or Touch is intermittently responsive. I don't know if it's normal behavior. It seems to sometimes not sense a touch on the top left of the screen when an activity button is present.

Yes.

Is it "Normal" ?....I would have to say yes based on the following:

While viewing your "Home" screen on the Ultimate, you see a list of your Activities. If you slightly scroll that list UP towards the top of the "Home, battery level, Time display" you will see that the first Activity overlaps those icons. When this occurs the impeding Activity will be non responsive to the touch.
post #1727 of 2175 Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hello everyone,

This firmware will install automatically the next time you sync your Harmony Smart Control, Ultimate or Ultimate Hub.

We'll continue to work with people who still experience issues after installing this new firmware, so please reach out via PM either here on to the HarmonyTeam on our official support boards if you continue to experience problems.

Regards to all,

Sylvain
Can you guys get it to update the firmware automatically? The appeal of the Ultimate Hub is the RF where it can be hidden away. It's a pain to take everything out and plug it into a computer to upgrade the firmware
post #1728 of 2175 Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

Yes.

Its it "Normal" ?....I would have to say yes based on the following:

While viewing your "Home" screen on the Ultimate, you see a list of your Activities. If you slightly scroll that list UP towards the top of the "Home, battery level, Time display" you will see that the first Activity overlaps those icons. When this occurs the impeding Activity will be non responsive to the touch.

Thanks Capt. That's what I was thinking. It seem that the screen works as it should when in swipe mode. I just haven't used it enough to find its little quirks.

post #1729 of 2175 Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post

Can you guys get it to update the firmware automatically? The appeal of the Ultimate Hub is the RF where it can be hidden away. It's a pain to take everything out and plug it into a computer to upgrade the firmware

The hub does not transmit RF...the RF is between the remote and the hub only.

You do not have to "take everything out and plug it into a computer to upgrade the firmware"
You upgrade the firmware when you "Sync" your remote.

You plug your remote into your computer and sync via myharmony.com
post #1730 of 2175 Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post

Hi jflatt,

If your hub is connected to Wi-Fi, you'll be notified (on the remote's screen) to connect your remote to the computer, and the hub is then updated through Wi-Fi. This isn't automatic per se, but still avoids having to remove the hub from your cabinet for an update.

Regards,

Sylvain

post #1731 of 2175 Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I could swear this failed before. I think the remote wanted to communicate with the hub, and couldn't because the computer and the hub were on opposite sides of the house.
post #1732 of 2175 Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I saw some earlier questions about the Ultimate and Lutron IR dimmers, as a new owner of the Ultimate, I can unequivocally state that it works as advertised. I didn't have to "learn" the codes, it found my model right away for on, off, bright, dim. It manages these well from both the iPad app, as well as the hand-held remote.

With that said though, I'm a little disappointed with how you have to operate the lights. I need to figure out a better way run the activities. For example, I set a watch movie activity with TV, amp, blu-ray, and the lutron. In order to dim it goes full bright than it works to the added commands. Then when I switch to watch tv it goes off then follows the commands of the watch tv activity.

It would be nice to be able to add the commands for a component without having to first do the power on step. If you don't list the item as a power on item to begin with, you don't have the ability to add commands within that activity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post

I have Lutron IR dimmers and I have my remote set up so it does not turn the lights on or off when starting or ending an activity, which is what I think you want to do.

How I did it: For my Lutron light device, go to the device settings, then change device settings, then power settings. At the next screen I selected "I want to leave this device powered on all the time", then the next screen I selected "I press two different buttons for on and for off". At the next screen for the power on commands and power off commands, I selected/created a "bogus" command that doesn't do anything with the lights. This was to make sure that if the harmony sent a command when I started or stopped an activity, it still wouldn't control the lights.

Hopefully that process makes sense. I now control my lights with the press of a soft button on the screen. I have "all lights on", "lights preset", and "all lights off" on the screen for each of my activities.

Another option would be to change your Lutron IR Dimmer's power settings to 'There are no power buttons on my Lutron...'. This will allow you to include it within each of your Activities without having any power commands sent to it. You can then assign power or dimming commands to your LCD or hardbuttons.

Regards,

Sylvain

Edit - the only downside here is that you'd have to power off your lights before you power off your Activity, or do so from device mode once your Activity is stopped.

post #1733 of 2175 Old 03-08-2014, 04:21 PM

I am using an old 650 remote right now and it works fine for my system. I was considering upgrading to the ultimate for lighting control. Is it possible to have the pause button send the regular pause command for whatever activity is running and have it also bring the lights up then back down when the play button is pressed? It is used in a dedicated theater and would be nice to have light when we pause for a bathroom break or something.
post #1734 of 2175 Old 03-08-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdxGuy View Post

I am using an old 650 remote right now and it works fine for my system. I was considering upgrading to the ultimate for lighting control. Is it possible to have the pause button send the regular pause command for whatever activity is running and have it also bring the lights up then back down when the play button is pressed? It is used in a dedicated theater and would be nice to have light when we pause for a bathroom break or something.

Yes

By default the pause button is programed to pause the device for either a long press or short press.

Assuming the lights were dimmed as part of your Activity, I would then reprogram the pause button for short press pause and lights on for long press.
post #1735 of 2175 Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post

Quote:

Another option would be to change your Lutron IR Dimmer's power settings to 'There are no power buttons on my Lutron...'. This will allow you to include it within each of your Activities without having any power commands sent to it. You can then assign power or dimming commands to your LCD or hardbuttons.

Regards,

Sylvain

Edit - the only downside here is that you'd have to power off your lights before you power off your Activity, or do so from device mode once your Activity is stopped.

That's why I've always loved this forum. Thanks so much, I never thought to click into this setting as the lights operated on/off, bright/dim just fine.

I know this is silly, but I love being able to touch the "watch a movie" button and having the lights go to the preset dim position. Thanks for the help making this work.

post #1736 of 2175 Old 03-08-2014, 08:34 PM

I suppose that would work. At least I would have one button control to pause and turn on lights. Would it be safe to assume that I could do the same with the play button to restart play and dim lights?
post #1737 of 2175 Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:

I suppose that would work. At least I would have one button control to pause and turn on lights. Would it be safe to assume that I could do the same with the play button to restart play and dim lights?

Yeah, it does. For the play/pause buttons, it looks like you'd have to add the lighting to the play/pause buttons as a sequence. I personally am not going to do this because -- at least in my case -- I'm worried about having a lighting baseline. If you sequence the play button to dim, then every time you hit play it will dim. So if you rewind then hit play, it will dim, FF, etc. The lights may be off in no time.

I set mine to the top level watch a movie command, so that when pressed the lights go completely off -- to set the baseline, then up three button presses of bright.

post #1738 of 2175 Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it does. For the play/pause buttons, it looks like you'd have to add the lighting to the play/pause buttons as a sequence. I personally am not going to do this because -- at least in my case -- I'm worried about having a lighting baseline. If you sequence the play button to dim, then every time you hit play it will dim. So if you rewind then hit play, it will dim, FF, etc. The lights may be off in no time.

I set mine to the top level watch a movie command, so that when pressed the lights go completely off -- to set the baseline, then up three button presses of bright.

No need to add as a sequence. If added as a sequence that will produce the adverse effects you have noted. Instead, he just needs to program the play hard button LONG PRESS to dim the lights
post #1739 of 2175 Old 03-09-2014, 11:06 AM

I see some refurbished ultimates around for$210-220. I think I might give it a try.
post #1740 of 2175 Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I see some refurbished ultimates around for$210-220. I think I might give it a try.

People have had pretty good luck with refurbs as long as they come from an outfit with a proven track record. A few weeks back BB had a sale on the Ultimate for $249 which is as good as I have seen for a new one.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page