post #1981 of 2470 Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilot View Post
Hi!

So I just bought a smart control Hub and remote and love what it can do so far, but have a couple questions.

1. Are there any benefits to using the "Ortek" device (what I previously used to control WMC and XBMC) over the "Windows Media Center SE" device?

2. Ideally I want two different activities using my HTPC:

1. Turning on TV, Turning ON DVR, Set DVR Input to Cable/Sat, Wake computer, Start WMC: I've got everything set up except the start WMC part

2. Turning on TV, Turning ON DVR, Set DVR Input to Cable/Sat, Wake computer, Start XBMC: I have no idea how to start XBMC in an activity. I read somewhere else that you need to add the "WMCE Keyboard", but wasn't exactly sure what to do after that . Also, will I have to manually assign the function keys on the remote to work in XBMC?

Thanks for the help!
The advantage of the Windows Media Center SE is that it contains lots of keyboard comination IR shortcuts such as Alt+F4, Ctrl+C, Win+X, etc that I don't believe are present for the Ortek.

What I do at home to easily start a Windows app is to assign that app to the Windows task bar at the bottom of the screen and then use the Win+x IR shortcut on the Media Center SE.

For example, I have XBMC in the third position in my taskbar, and the Win+3 command launches it. I have it assigned on my LCD as an Activity command rather than as a Activity startup command, but there's no reason you could not do the latter if you know how long your PC requires to wake up.

Hope that helped.

Sylvain

Last edited by HarmonySylvain; 06-16-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2470 Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the Harmony Smart Control - w/ a BenQ projector, Microsoft Media Player: Microsoft MCE-Keyboard (to control the HTPC) and a Denon 2809CI AV Receiver (which connects the HTPC to the Projector and LCD).

I have an activity set "Watch Proj" problem is when I push the button assigned to the "Watch Proj" activity- it puts my HTPC in a state of sleep.
Any idea how I can fix this?

The settings for the "Watch Proj" activity are:
Microsoft Media Player - Input - No change
BenQ projector - Input HDMI1
Denon AV Receiver - Input DVD (which is where the HDMI cable from the HTPC is connected to)

Activity Startup Commands:
1 - BenQ Projector - Power On
2 - Denon AV Receiver - Power On
3 - Microsoft Media Player - Power On (I'm guessing that this is the culprit - but it doesn't let me edit or remove without taking it completely out of the activity)
* Microsoft Media Player - Input - No change
* BenQ projector - Input HDMI1
* Denon AV Receiver - Input DVD

Activity Shutdown Commands:
1 - BenQ Projector - Power Off
2 - Denon AV Receiver - Power Off
3 - Microsoft Media Player - Power Off
post #1983 of 2470 Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
Thank you, will let you know the outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post
It is! I was waiting to test this fix myself before announcing it here, but since the cat is out of the bag, consider this the official AVS announcement

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Sylvain
Hi

Well thank you, the backlighting now behaves normally.

I personally would like to see 2 things:

1. While in the "screen lock" mode, the ability to see the clock without unlocking the screen if the screen is touched

2. The ability to have the backlighting illuminate when only the screen is touched and not the hard keys
hltr likes this.

Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA
Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote

Last edited by CaptMike; 06-16-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: revised
post #1984 of 2470 Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The advantage of the Windows Media Center SE is that it contains lots of keyboard comination IR shortcuts such as Alt+F4, Ctrl+C, Win+X, etc that I don't believe are present for the Ortek.

What I do at home to easily start a Windows app is to assign that app to the Windows task bar at the bottom of the screen and then use the Win+x IR shortcut on the Media Center SE.

For example, I have XBMC in the third position in my taskbar, and the Win+3 command launches it. I have it assigned on my LCD as an Activity command rather than as a Activity startup command, but there's no reason you could not do the latter if you know how long your PC requires to wake up.

Hope that helped.

Sylvain
Kind of...So I am using the IR receiver that came with the Ortek WMC remote. Would that cause any problems with a command not functioning correctly (in this case WIN+3) to start XMBC? I assign the command to the remote, but nothing happens. I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to buy one the HP ones off of amazon.

The devices involved with the
post #1985 of 2470 Old 06-17-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Out dog chewed up my beloved Harmony One so yesterday I ordered the Harmony Touch One for in store pickup from Best Buy. When I got home and opened the box much to my surprise they gave me a Harmony Touch Ultimate. I went ahead and set it up and have to admit I am glad they made the mistake. I guess in my quick reading about the device I didn't understand that the hub could be located in the cabinet with my components and still be able to control them by I assume bouncing the IR signals off of the walls etc which is why I didn't consider it in the first place. I was able to copy over all my settings from the One but the one issue I have is it won't power off/on my Yamaha HTR-5860. I did the help and after about 25 attempts of "did this fix it" gave up. It can control the volume etc on the receiver so I know it is seeing the IR signals so I'm not sure what to try next.

FYI I did contact BB about the mistake and will pay them the 50.00 diff.

Edit: Eureka I figured it out. The HTR-5860 is too old for the Zone commands yet they were set in the device as the way to power on and off the receiver. I just changed them to Power off and Power on and it now works.

Last edited by linflas; 06-17-2014 at 02:39 PM.
post #1986 of 2470 Old 06-17-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PM sent

PM sent and thanks.

Brian
post #1987 of 2470 Old 06-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I posted this on the Harmony forum, but didn't get a response. (Hi, Sylvain!, I hope your recent product evaluations went well.)

I am running firmware 3.9.60 and still have a problem with the Ultimate remote losing contact with the hub.

I am pretty sure the problem is in the remote, not in the Hub.

The symptom is that after a period of working perfectly, suddenly and randomly one or more commands in an Activity stop working. Usually it's something I want to happen right now, like Pause.

I believe the remote is at fault because the tiny flash at the top of the display does not appear. The flash appears when a command is being transmitted to the hub.

If I go into Device mode and send the same command, it works. If I go back to my Activity, the command remains inoperative.

If I use the iPhone or iPad app, the commands work. It is only the Ultimate remote itself which exhibits this failure.

Does anybody else experience this? It happens every day and is starting to get annoying.
post #1988 of 2470 Old 06-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
this happened to me too but when I turned on my iPhone app it fixed itself
post #1989 of 2470 Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Liked: 17
Just got off the phone with Logitech. Spoke with Sylvain, a sr. manager and his supervisor. Discussed the issue with the remote not connecting and the customer service issues.
Apologized for the support issues..... Promised to see that this does not happen again.

Based on the video I sent of the screen on the remote flashing from the myharmony screen to the menu screen they feel this is a hardware issue. They are sending a new remote and hub.
Hopefully this will resolve the connection issue and all will be well again. Will update as this plays out.

Very much appreciate Sylvain's presence here and his interest in taking care of these problems. Logitech should give him a big raise!!

With all this said I'm surprised this issue has happened.. all of the Logitech products I have purchased and use daily have been rock solid.

Those that are still having problems will hopefully see some changes in customer service.
post #1990 of 2470 Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post
this happened to me too but when I turned on my iPhone app it fixed itself
It does randomly fix itself eventually, but I can't find cause & effect. Running an app doesn't fix it for me.
post #1991 of 2470 Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Kind of...So I am using the IR receiver that came with the Ortek WMC remote. Would that cause any problems with a command not functioning correctly (in this case WIN+3) to start XMBC? I assign the command to the remote, but nothing happens. I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to buy one the HP ones off of amazon.

Yes - the Ortek receiver will unfortunately not work with the Windows Media Center SE, which requires a Microsoft compatible receiver.
post #1992 of 2470 Old 06-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I posted this on the Harmony forum, but didn't get a response. (Hi, Sylvain!, I hope your recent product evaluations went well.)

I am running firmware 3.9.60 and still have a problem with the Ultimate remote losing contact with the hub.

I am pretty sure the problem is in the remote, not in the Hub.

The symptom is that after a period of working perfectly, suddenly and randomly one or more commands in an Activity stop working. Usually it's something I want to happen right now, like Pause.

I believe the remote is at fault because the tiny flash at the top of the display does not appear. The flash appears when a command is being transmitted to the hub.

If I go into Device mode and send the same command, it works. If I go back to my Activity, the command remains inoperative.

If I use the iPhone or iPad app, the commands work. It is only the Ultimate remote itself which exhibits this failure.

Does anybody else experience this? It happens every day and is starting to get annoying.
Hello

The next time this happens, please send us the remote logs so we can have someone take a look. Please also shoot me a quick PM once that's done so I have the date & time the logs were submitted at.

To submit logs from your remote, please go to Menu > Settings > General > Submit Logs

Thanks

Sylvain
post #1993 of 2470 Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just noticed this discussion about lost commands in activities. I noticed this after a couple updates back when they added the auto screen lock. It seemed to happen after the screen locked once but only after I visited device mode. Ever since I turned off auto screen lock my remote has been fine.

On another note why when I change button commands on my remote doesn't these changes get updated in the android app on my phone? Even device button changes don't get updated on my phone or tablet.

Ron

update: tried turning on auto screen lock and now it seems fine. So not sure what happened that day when the update added auto remote screen lock.

Last edited by Ronomy; 06-18-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #1994 of 2470 Old 06-19-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I assume this is the official thread for the Ultimate One as well, just making sure since that is what I'll have in a day or two.

I called Logitech on Monday because my Harmony One's battery was swollen and I couldn't even get it out without using pillars, I wasn't even aware of this issue since I hadn't been following the thread for the H1 much in recent years. To my surprise, even though my H1 was 6 years old, they are sending me an Ultimate One as a replacement. That's pretty good customer service considering the devices has been out of warranty for many, many years; I was just hopping to get a new battery.

I actually considered getting the Ultimate last year but, really didn't have the money to spend and my H1 was working fine so, this is a nice surprise. I might purchase the hub down the road but I think the U1 will do just fine for now.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #1995 of 2470 Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

Quote:
Yes - the Ortek receiver will unfortunately not work with the Windows Media Center SE, which requires a Microsoft compatible receiver.
Yep, although Ortek works fine with the Ortek profile and for basic commands, but it can't do key combos like a Microsoft dongle can. I use Ortek on all my PCs and Raspberry Pi's running XBMC and they work fine. I simply have no need for combos. The advantage of Ortek is that the dongle is very small and includes a USB extension and wakes my PC properly 100% of the time. I've never been able to find a Microsoft (MCE) dongle that can consistently wake my PC.

Obviously, you must use an Ortek or Adesso profile on your Harmony for it to function at all, as Sylvain said. The Media Center profiles won't work because Ortek uses an entirely different protocol. The Windows Media Center SE profile is totally incompatible with Ortek.

You can also use both an Ortek and Microsoft dongle. I ran that way for a while, using Ortek just for wake and Microsoft for everything else. But even that ultimately failed as my Microsoft dongle driver would sometimes fail to load after a sleep/wake cycle.

Ppilot, if you want to get rid of that Ortek, PM me. I could always use a spare.
post #1996 of 2470 Old 06-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

On another note why when I change button commands on my remote doesn't these changes get updated in the android app on my phone? Even device button changes don't get updated on my phone or tablet.
Thanks - this is a bug we've recently been made aware of.
post #1997 of 2470 Old 06-20-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks - this is a bug we've recently been made aware of.
Would be nice to be able to setup all the buttons on the android/IOS apps so that they match the remote. I use all android so not sure about the apple app.

Other than this issue right now this remote and hub combo work great. I have 14 devices and two projectors in my theater. . Setting up activities for each setup works great. The LCD screen commands can be just the controls I want like lights and video processor controls like stored color and gamma settings on my DVDO Duo. Its really the ultimate in remote control IMHO.

I still have a few devices I wish I could add but really don't use them. Old Pioneer DVD recorder, SVHS VCR and my Laserdisc player. I may add the laserdisc player at some point.

So easy to switch between projectors if I want and finally my wife can use my theater! Huge +++++++ LOL

cheers,

Ron
post #1998 of 2470 Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Just noticed this discussion about lost commands in activities. I noticed this after a couple updates back when they added the auto screen lock. It seemed to happen after the screen locked once but only after I visited device mode. Ever since I turned off auto screen lock my remote has been fine.

Ron

update: tried turning on auto screen lock and now it seems fine. So not sure what happened that day when the update added auto remote screen lock.
If you manually sync on your phone/tablet app, it will update with the changes made elsewhere (until this bug is fixed).
post #1999 of 2470 Old 06-21-2014, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Got my Ultimate One today and I'm still tweaking the settings. One thing I can't figure out is the Favorites. We don't have cable or sat, just OTA so, on my TV we have to enter 12-1 or 32-2 (and so on) but when I push one of the favorite buttons the remote sends just 121 or 322 so the TV tries to go to channels that don't exist. How do you program the favorite buttons to use a "-" so that the remote sends the correct channel numbers? EDIT: Fixed this, had to learn the "-" button from my TV remote and then change the "." to a dash on the channel numbers.

A few other things that are happening. Every time I sync my remote and then unplug it the MyHarmony software ask me to reconnect the remote to save settings. Is it normal for it to ask this every single time?

Also, a play command is being sent when I start a few activities and I can't figure out how to stop this. I've checked the custom settings for the activities and there is no play command listed. Is there somewhere else in the software to find this setting. I would know exactly where to go in the old Harmony software but can't figure it out in the MyHarmony software.

One last thing, after the remote has been I. The charge for a little bit the hard button's backlight comes back on and stays on. Is this normal?

Last edited by rolltide1017; 06-21-2014 at 04:07 PM.
post #2000 of 2470 Old 06-22-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I think I have figured everything out that I mentioned above except the backlight coming on in the charger, not the screen just the buttons.

I also don't like that with the MyHarmony software you can't program a device to have a power on command but no power off command. You could do this in the old Harmony software and it came in handy with devices that go to sleep on there own after a while but, still need a Power on command sent. Roku and AppleTV are 2 I would do this with. I don't see away to do it in the MyHarmony software.

Right now if my ATV has gone to sleep the remote turns it back on when I hit the off button. If I chose the "keep this device on all the time" option in the software then the remote doesn't send a power on command when I start the activity.
post #2001 of 2470 Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Ok, I think I have figured everything out that I mentioned above except the backlight coming on in the charger, not the screen just the buttons.

I also don't like that with the MyHarmony software you can't program a device to have a power on command but no power off command. You could do this in the old Harmony software and it came in handy with devices that go to sleep on there own after a while but, still need a Power on command sent. Roku and AppleTV are 2 I would do this with. I don't see away to do it in the MyHarmony software.

Right now if my ATV has gone to sleep the remote turns it back on when I hit the off button. If I chose the "keep this device on all the time" option in the software then the remote doesn't send a power on command when I start the activity.
Not sure if this helps, but roku and Apple TV do not have a power button (at least not the Apple TV). You have to hit Menu to power them on. So what I did in my Activity settings is to send a command "menu" when i hit that Activity. The Apple TV and Roku will then wake from sleep. They both eventually fall to sleep after a period of inactivity. So...if the device is asleep, just hit Menu on your remote to awaken it.
post #2002 of 2470 Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
If you manually sync on your phone/tablet app, it will update with the changes made elsewhere (until this bug is fixed).
I resync my phone all the time. Still no updated buttons.
post #2003 of 2470 Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the screen resolution for custom backgrounds. I've can't seem to find the answer in my Google searches.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #2004 of 2470 Old 06-23-2014, 02:17 PM

Minimal resolution is 240 x 320 - max file size 5mb.

The tips are found directly in the custom image upload screen in MyHarmony

post #2005 of 2470 Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I resync my phone all the time. Still no updated buttons.
Just to clarify, you need to go to Settings on your phone/tablet Harmony app / Sync your Harmony / Sync. When I do this, it brings over all the changes made on the MyHarmony software on my PC.

If I don't do this, I don't see my updates on the phone/tablet app.

If you are indeed doing this and it still doesn't show the updates, I'm stumped. Hopefully Harmony fixes this bug so that we don't have to force a sync.
post #2006 of 2470 Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
Just to clarify, you need to go to Settings on your phone/tablet Harmony app / Sync your Harmony / Sync. When I do this, it brings over all the changes made on the MyHarmony software on my PC.

If I don't do this, I don't see my updates on the phone/tablet app.

If you are indeed doing this and it still doesn't show the updates, I'm stumped. Hopefully Harmony fixes this bug so that we don't have to force a sync.
Yes I use sync with harmony in the settings area. I may try uninstalling the app on my phone and tablet and reinstall.
post #2007 of 2470 Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yes I use sync with harmony in the settings area. I may try uninstalling the app on my phone and tablet and reinstall.
Currently, changes made on MyHarmony such as renaming a command or rearranging their order in device or Activity mode are only reflected on Ultimate. The app is different in nature as it presents its commands in a different way than the remote. Commands that are renamed or rearranged in Myharmony are currently not reflected across the app after a sync.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Sylvain
post #2008 of 2470 Old 06-24-2014, 10:59 AM

The team here is really, really excited to let everyone know we've announced Nest integration today - Ultimate owners will now be able to control their Nest thermostats directly from their remote!

Visit http://www.myharmony.com/Nest or our blog post for more information.

Regards,

Sylvain
post #2009 of 2470 Old 06-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
The team here is really, really excited to let everyone know we've announced Nest integration today - Ultimate owners will now be able to control their Nest thermostats directly from their remote!

Visit http://www.myharmony.com/Nest or our blog post for more information.

Regards,

Sylvain
I am a double Nest owner (upstairs and main floors both have Next) -- can the ultimate operate both seperately?

Also -- will pairing the two Nests count toward my 15 device limit?

As a side note -- any word on PS4 integration?

My Bargain Basement Theater
post #2010 of 2470 Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
I am a double Nest owner (upstairs and main floors both have Next) -- can the ultimate operate both seperately?

Also -- will pairing the two Nests count toward my 15 device limit?

As a side note -- any word on PS4 integration?
Hi Skrill,

Nest does not count towards your device limit, and multiple units can be added and controlled, yes.

No updates on PS4 integration that I'm aware of, unfortunately. Still waiting on Sony to enable Bluetooth remote control on the PS4.

Regards,

Sylvain
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page