20Likes

post #2131 of 2470 Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi everyone,

I have the smart hub and have a question about customizing the power down steps. I use a monoprice hdmi switch and would like to set the input to num 1 at the end of every activity when I hit power off.

The reason I want to do this is because we use a mixture of remotes and I'd like to always be sure the harmony has reset the state of my setup when I'm done using it.

When I go to customize the power off portion of the activity, I select Add Step, and choose the hdmi switch. But the drop down for what command to send doesn't list all the the things the hdmi switch can do. It has something like direction left and direction right, but the 4 hdmi positions of the switch aren't listed.

Am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2470 Old 08-08-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead4 View Post
Did a little digging and was able to use ps3blumote + media center keyboard shortcut commands + the mapping tools on myharmony.com to make the remote work through blutooth. easy to do, once you figure it out.
I know I use ps3blumote and media center keyboard shortcut commands, but I seem to remember that there were a few keyboard shortcuts that never worked right, such as accessing my recordings directly from a button push? Also, are you able to use the remote with any other application (like plex, xbmc, etc.), or just windows media center?
post #2133 of 2470 Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Hi everyone,

I have the smart hub and have a question about customizing the power down steps. I use a monoprice hdmi switch and would like to set the input to num 1 at the end of every activity when I hit power off.

The reason I want to do this is because we use a mixture of remotes and I'd like to always be sure the harmony has reset the state of my setup when I'm done using it.

When I go to customize the power off portion of the activity, I select Add Step, and choose the hdmi switch. But the drop down for what command to send doesn't list all the the things the hdmi switch can do. It has something like direction left and direction right, but the 4 hdmi positions of the switch aren't listed.

Am I doing something wrong?
You are not doing anything wrong, when customizing Activities the power commands and input commands are not made available as additional commands. The reason being Harmony is afraid your Harmony remote will be out of sync. as these additional commands (power & input0 are not tracked by Harmony Smart State technology. There is a work around if you have another learnig remote is to teach the input command under a different name it would not be identified as an input command, then learn this new command back to your Harmony, and the new command would be available to use as an additional command.
post #2134 of 2470 Old 08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
You are not doing anything wrong, when customizing Activities the power commands and input commands are not made available as additional commands. The reason being Harmony is afraid your Harmony remote will be out of sync. as these additional commands (power & input0 are not tracked by Harmony Smart State technology. There is a work around if you have another learnig remote is to teach the input command under a different name it would not be identified as an input command, then learn this new command back to your Harmony, and the new command would be available to use as an additional command.
Thanks for the response...I understand what you're describing.

I think I have another workaround, for my particular case. The 2 commands that ARE available are "DirectionLeft" and "DirectionRight". Well, on the Monoprice HDMI switch remote, those buttons change the input too. So I can use those to "reset" my HDMI input to 1 during a power off.

All my activities involve the HDMI switch. Since every activity sets the HDMI switch to a certain input, it shouldn't matter if I want to set it to a different input during Power Off. Again, if I could just get my family to use the Harmony remote all the time, this would be moot.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #2135 of 2470 Old 08-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I have been going through the message boards to find my particular control requirement without success so here's my scenario.

I purchased the smart control hub which includes the smart remote with intentions of using the remote
(that comes in the box) and not my smartphone to control my components.

The reason for selecting hub based control is that I am trying to emulate the control from a smartphone app using the harmony smart control.

To simplify:
I want to control my slingPlayer app for my new SlingBox M1. The M1 can only be accessed and used with a smartphone device (which I don't want to use). In addition, I am using the Roku HD streaming stick to access the slingplayer app thus connected the HDTV HDMI port. So the question is can I use the hub and smart remote in-place of a smartphone to control these types of components.?

Thx
Bw
post #2136 of 2470 Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwbass View Post
Hello all,

I have been going through the message boards to find my particular control requirement without success so here's my scenario.

I purchased the smart control hub which includes the smart remote with intentions of using the remote
(that comes in the box) and not my smartphone to control my components.

The reason for selecting hub based control is that I am trying to emulate the control from a smartphone app using the harmony smart control.

To simplify:
I want to control my slingPlayer app for my new SlingBox M1. The M1 can only be accessed and used with a smartphone device (which I don't want to use). In addition, I am using the Roku HD streaming stick to access the slingplayer app thus connected the HDTV HDMI port. So the question is can I use the hub and smart remote in-place of a smartphone to control these types of components.?

Thx
Bw
I think you may misunderstand how a slingbox and universal remotes work. Slingboxes don't have remotes that a universal remote like Harmony can replace. You can only control it via an app on PC/Mac/Android/iOS. So to answer your question, a universal remote can control everything except your slingbox. Since you run the app from the Roku anyway, isn't it sufficient that your Harmony can control the Roku? Why do you need some version of the slingplayer app running on the remote itself? If you truly need such a thing, you need to look into iRule so you can switch between remote control of your other devices and running the slingplayer app.
post #2137 of 2470 Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks mdavej,

My objective here is to get the smartphone out of my hand; clunky and awkward to use , nothing can replace the feel of a well designed remote in hand. The slingbox itself (your right) cannot be controlled, but in order for a user to utilize the Roku/slingplayer app you must run the sling app from a smartphone and then cast that stream to a Roku channel.

Once the stream is connected the Roku is out of the control loop and the sling app GUI on the smartphone is the only way to control the functionality of the what the slingbox is connected to and in my case it's a Dish Network DVR. So my thinking was I could program Harmony wiFi enabled hub to control the DVR sling app since these are both IP based devices. Your thoughts

thx
Bw
post #2138 of 2470 Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not possible. Sorry.
post #2139 of 2470 Old 08-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a Sony Kdl65w850a tv. My question is, with my remote, I have activities Gaming and Watch TV. My Tv is hooked to my avr receiver, and all my tv watching/gaming is down through xbox one.
My question is, is there a way for me to have the remote go to Gaming Scene select on this tv when selecting Gaming?

Right now, this is the only option I have..

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanua...ust_scene.html

Is there a macro or something that I need?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.

Last edited by bodean; 08-10-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #2140 of 2470 Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've read all posts in this thread and don't see a answer to my problem.
I have a Ultimate hub with 12 activities and a Vizio 801d connecting to Directv rec (and BR player,etc) thru a Denon AVR. The problem is getting the Vizio TV to switch to the correct input when cycling thru activities. The Vizio has a confusing way of switching inputs and displaying the name. The 'TV' input is in hiding most of the time. TV can change inputs two different ways that seem to confuse Harmony. When I switch from one activity to any other its a crap shoot if it lands on the right one. I've been in the devices section and changed input settings multiple ways with no consistent results. There has to be a solution with this very popular TV brand. It has discrete codes for activities like Netflix and Amazon apps in the TV and those input changes seem to complete more often (VIA). But anything involving a switch from Dircectv to antenna tv or back to Directv rarely switches to the correct input.
Anybody got a fix for this?
post #2141 of 2470 Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
I've read all posts in this thread and don't see a answer to my problem.
I have a Ultimate hub with 12 activities and a Vizio 801d connecting to Directv rec (and BR player,etc) thru a Denon AVR. The problem is getting the Vizio TV to switch to the correct input when cycling thru activities. The Vizio has a confusing way of switching inputs and displaying the name. The 'TV' input is in hiding most of the time. TV can change inputs two different ways that seem to confuse Harmony. When I switch from one activity to any other its a crap shoot if it lands on the right one. I've been in the devices section and changed input settings multiple ways with no consistent results. There has to be a solution with this very popular TV brand. It has discrete codes for activities like Netflix and Amazon apps in the TV and those input changes seem to complete more often (VIA). But anything involving a switch from Dircectv to antenna tv or back to Directv rarely switches to the correct input.
Anybody got a fix for this?
I have the same set-up as you, with DirecTV and the Vizio 601d. I'm not clear whether you are doing any video switching through your AVR. In my case, I run all video to the TV and only use my AVR for audio.
The Vizio's inputs switch sequentially. Each push of the button advances to the next input, in order, so it's important when setting-up the device in the Harmony app, to answer the questions correctly. Recently, I did something to cause everything to go haywire in my Harmony, and the TV started consistently switching to the wrong input. I went into the Harmony app, to "Make Changes" and no matter how I answered the questions about the TV, I couldn't fix the input problem. I discovered that the app asks different questions when making changes compared to when you first set-up the device. So, I went back to square one, and set-up the TV as a new device. It was a lot of trouble, but everything works as it should now. Another thing can happen when switching out of the TV apps (Netflix, etc). I have found that if you don't properly exit out of the app you are watching before switching to another activity, the TV might not cycle to the proper input. That is because whenever you enter the TV apps, a new input (VIA) is created and Harmony doesn't know the difference and gets confused. When you exit the app you are watching, the VIA input disappears, and all is normal. I may not be making sense, but just go in there and look around and you'll see what I am talking about.
post #2142 of 2470 Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post
I have the same set-up as you, with DirecTV and the Vizio 601d. I'm not clear whether you are doing any video switching through your AVR. In my case, I run all video to the TV and only use my AVR for audio.
The Vizio's inputs switch sequentially. Each push of the button advances to the next input, in order, so it's important when setting-up the device in the Harmony app, to answer the questions correctly. Recently, I did something to cause everything to go haywire in my Harmony, and the TV started consistently switching to the wrong input. I went into the Harmony app, to "Make Changes" and no matter how I answered the questions about the TV, I couldn't fix the input problem. I discovered that the app asks different questions when making changes compared to when you first set-up the device. So, I went back to square one, and set-up the TV as a new device. It was a lot of trouble, but everything works as it should now. Another thing can happen when switching out of the TV apps (Netflix, etc). I have found that if you don't properly exit out of the app you are watching before switching to another activity, the TV might not cycle to the proper input. That is because whenever you enter the TV apps, a new input (VIA) is created and Harmony doesn't know the difference and gets confused. When you exit the app you are watching, the VIA input disappears, and all is normal. I may not be making sense, but just go in there and look around and you'll see what I am talking about.
Yes, thanks, you are making sense when it comes to the VIA app. As I see it the Vizio allows inputs to be changed in two different ways. One, as you stated, you can press the 'input' button repeatedly and stop when you reach the correct one. Two, you can press the 'input' button then use the direction (up/down) buttons then press OK when you have the right one. As I recall in the device setup Harmony asks three questions about how input selection is done on the device and you could answer yes to two of them. Very confusing especially if Harmony asks different questions depending on whether you're changing a existing setup or creating a new one. I'll keep working on it, thanks. I appreciate the help. I've got to get this fixed as I have elderly people using the remote and this turns into a disaster very quickly.
post #2143 of 2470 Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Yes, thanks, you are making sense when it comes to the VIA app. As I see it the Vizio allows inputs to be changed in two different ways. One, as you stated, you can press the 'input' button repeatedly and stop when you reach the correct one. Two, you can press the 'input' button then use the direction (up/down) buttons then press OK when you have the right one. As I recall in the device setup Harmony asks three questions about how input selection is done on the device and you could answer yes to two of them. Very confusing especially if Harmony asks different questions depending on whether you're changing a existing setup or creating a new one. I'll keep working on it, thanks. I appreciate the help. I've got to get this fixed as I have elderly people using the remote and this turns into a disaster very quickly.
I have also programmed one of the unused buttons on my remote to control the Vizio's input command, so if Harmony gets confused, I don't have to reach for the TV remote.
post #2144 of 2470 Old 08-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I added a Tivo Roamio Pro (model TCD840300), the MyHarmony software informed me that model had more than one set of codes so if Harmony Ultimate did not control the Tivo correctly, I should return and follow the steps to change the device version.

With the initial codes, roughly half of the commands would not work so I changed the device version and now NONE of the commands work.

Is anyone here successfully controlling a Tivo Roamio Pro? Did you do anything special in setup?

If neither of the codes sets I've tried work, is my only alternative to learn every command from the Tivo remote?

TIA for assistance.
post #2145 of 2470 Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

When I added a Tivo Roamio Pro (model TCD840300), the MyHarmony software informed me that model had more than one set of codes so if Harmony Ultimate did not control the Tivo correctly, I should return and follow the steps to change the device version.

With the initial codes, roughly half of the commands would not work so I changed the device version and now NONE of the commands work.

Is anyone here successfully controlling a Tivo Roamio Pro? Did you do anything special in setup?

If neither of the codes sets I've tried work, is my only alternative to learn every command from the Tivo remote?

TIA for assistance.
post #2146 of 2470 Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Please disregard my request for help on Tivo Roamio codes. Since the Tivo wasn't responding at all, it occurred to me see whether the hub was receiving/transmitting. When I picked up the hub and pressed the remote, the Tivo responded. I quickly determined that the problem is that the hub has to have a more direct (or closer) line of sight to the Tivo. For some reason, the hub will operate everything in the room but the Tivo. I suppose I'll have to consider running a mini-blaster from the hub, which will be a giant PITA!
post #2147 of 2470 Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 PM

mini blasters or ir emitters?

Gents:

I have a 3 bay Salamander Design Console

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/pro...e-5125e2687a6a

with a host of Home Theater equipment that I control with the Ultimate One Remote - Currently you have to position the remote at a certain area to ensure all devices (dependent on the activity) turn on & off. Hence, I'm contemplating adding the Harmony HUB to my repetoire ... Here's my plan:

Control the HUB via RF via the Ultimate One
Control my HT items via the HUB either by several mini blasters inside the console or by using individual IR emitters (using Y adapters etc.)

ShouldI go with the blasters or individual IR emitters?

My setup is below:

Thanks in advance ...
post #2148 of 2470 Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^
One blaster per bay works for my system. I have 3 bays like you. My TV sits on top, so I have a 4th for that. My Xbox has such a terrible receiver, it gets its own dedicated blaster, for a total of 5. My RF remote base has 6 blaster ports (it isn't a Harmony).

I can't answer your other question because I though emitters and blasters were functionally the same thing. Are you asking if you should make your own versus buy? How many ports does an ultimate hub have anyway? I don't think you have much choice if you need more than a couple of blasters.
post #2149 of 2470 Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
^^^
One blaster per bay works for my system. I have 3 bays like you. My TV sits on top, so I have a 4th for that. My Xbox has such a terrible receiver, it gets its own dedicated blaster, for a total of 5. My RF remote base has 6 blaster ports (it isn't a Harmony).

I can't answer your other question because I though emitters and blasters were functionally the same thing. Are you asking if you should make your own versus buy? How many ports does an ultimate hub have anyway? I don't think you have much choice if you need more than a couple of blasters.
The Harmony HUB has two ports so I will need Y adapters (& perhaps 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters) to increase my outputs. I intend to buy either the Logitech IR Mini Blasters or IR emitters (eg Infrared Resources). The blasters you locate near the vicinity of the units and the IR emitters you attach on the unit itself near the IR receiver via adhesive tape. Additionally, the Harmony HUB will communicate with my Ultimate One via RF (802.11 b/g/n).
post #2150 of 2470 Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG44 View Post
The Harmony HUB has two ports so I will need Y adapters (& perhaps 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters) to increase my outputs. I intend to buy either the Logitech IR Mini Blasters or IR emitters (eg Infrared Resources). The blasters you locate near the vicinity of the units and the IR emitters you attach on the unit itself near the IR receiver via adhesive tape. Additionally, the Harmony HUB will communicate with my Ultimate One via RF (802.11 b/g/n).
Perhaps you could locate the Hub near or behind your sitting position. Then maybe everything in your cabinet could see it and you wouldn't need any blasters or emitters.
post #2151 of 2470 Old 08-16-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hey I'm in the market for a Harmony remote and was looking at the Harmony Ultimate. My components (receiver, bluray, roku, cable box) are all behind cabinetry so I would use the hub. Just curious how it works exactly. From what I read it only has 2 inputs so I would need more for all devices. What would I need to buy that would be compatible with the remote? I'm a little newb to this stuff, just eager to get things working a lot simpler.

Thanks!
post #2152 of 2470 Old 08-16-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

With the ultimate you have 4 things powerfully blasting IR - the hub, 2 blasters and the remote itself. As long as your devices are within sight of any of those, you're fine. The hub and one blaster can easily reach all your devices unless they are really spread out.
post #2153 of 2470 Old 08-16-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
With the ultimate you have 4 things powerfully blasting IR - the hub, 2 blasters and the remote itself. As long as your devices are within sight of any of those, you're fine. The hub and one blaster can easily reach all your devices unless they are really spread out.
Well my stuff is behind a cabinet door and close against the door itself. Does the hub need to be in front of the devices?
post #2154 of 2470 Old 08-16-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Well my stuff is behind a cabinet door and close against the door itself. Does the hub need to be in front of the devices?
If you want to avoid a blaster for every device, you'll have to make accommodations. Just remember IR follows the same rules as visible light. It reflects, refracts and floods just like an LED flashlight would. The hub on the top shelf may bounce around enough. Or push your devices back a couple of inches and mount a blaster on the door. You get the idea.
post #2155 of 2470 Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Hey I got this and it works good.

Question, so I have my family room set up behind cabinets and used the hub and 2 blasted, works good.

But I have a second home theater setup and the components are also behind cabinets. Can I just get a second hub and it will just work with that hub as well?

I see you can get a hub by itself on amazon for $99. I assume that comes with 2 blasters too?

Thanks!
post #2156 of 2470 Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Or get remote and hub for $99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BQ5RYI4

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #2157 of 2470 Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post
Or get remote and hub for $99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BQ5RYI4

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does that hub come with two ir blasters too?

And I can use two hubs with my one ultimate remote?
post #2158 of 2470 Old 08-18-2014, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Does that hub come with two ir blasters too?

And I can use two hubs with my one ultimate remote?
The hub that comes with the Smart remote has one blaster I believe, however it has two outputs and you can use adapters to use any other IR blasters you have. You cannot use two hubs with one remote.
post #2159 of 2470 Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
The hub that comes with the Smart remote has one blaster I believe, however it has two outputs and you can use adapters to use any other IR blasters you have. You cannot use two hubs with one remote.
Ok thanks, so I guess I'll get a Smart Control with hub for my theater room.

One last question, does the Smart Control remote turn on devices via IR also, like my projector is in the theater room but the av receiver and blu ray are in another, where the hub would be. So can I "watch movie" pointing at the projectior and it will turn on while the hub blasts the other devices?

It was similar to when I set up the ultimate. The hub wouldn't turn my tv on so I just told it to turn on via pointing remote at it.

Thanks!
post #2160 of 2470 Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The smart has no IR. It would not work for your application.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page