12Likes

post #2311 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
I signed up - any hints regarding when we (I) will get a beta version?
You may already have been granted access I'm not sure who is who since I deal with AVS forum IDs on one side and email addresses on the other.

I've been travelling, so it's been a little more sporadic, but I try to sweep through and grant access to new requests at least 2 - 3 times a day.

Sylvain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 08:42 AM

(also, here's a gentle nudge back to the Harmony Home thread for all the Home related questions & feedback )

post #2313 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Anyone with the Touch or One able to voice if the One is worth the $40 and some odd bucks over the touch? Id like to upgrade the remote from the basic smart remote to one of those two, my understanding is the only real difference is the One has haptic feedback and the backlight comes on when its moved?
Correct. Tilt sensor, haptic feedback, and the grip on the Ultimate One is also slightly different.

Some find the haptic feedback useful when using buttons on the touch screen as it provides that tactile confirmation that a command was registered.

If none of those things matter to you, the Touch could be interesting at $40 less. I'm guessing it's on sale as they are moving Ultimate One inventory in.

post #2314 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the response, for the $40 difference I feel as though I might as well go for the One and be done with it.
post #2315 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Thanks for the response, for the $40 difference I feel as though I might as well go for the One and be done with it.

I have the Touch and the Ultimate which has the same feedback features as the Ultimate One. I can say the difference with the feedback features is well worth the added $40.00. Not that the Touch is a bad remote, but receiving confirmation for a command is important, especially when using it in the dark. Just my two cents. JT
post #2316 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacaula View Post
Discovered something interesting last night.
My hub is connected to the IR-In jack of an Anthem MRX-500 AVR by 3.5mm cable (yes, I have some 2.5 to 3.5 adapters). The AVR is connected to the TV and STB (Sci Atlanta Explorer 8300HD) by HDMI.
I disconnected the IR mini-blasters and tried the H-U remote from a spot where the IR emitter is not visible to any of the devices. I expected the AVR to work, but not the STB or TV., but all three responded to commands from the remote.
Does HDMI send IR commands ?
I can't see another way for the signals to get to the STB and TV.

Patrick.
Would you mind sharing what adapters you are using? I have a 2.5 stereo to 3.5 stereo with a 3.5 stereo cable from my Hub to my Anthem MRX-500 and I can't get the IR commands to work. I'm wondering if I need a 2.5mm mono adapter instead.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man
post #2317 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the Smart Control, Ultimate One, One, Smart Keyboard AddOn. For some odd reason I prefer the basic remote that comes with the Smart Control ( feel, placement of buttons, the lower left + sign). I have not used my One or Ultimate One in a month or so but I think it's time to give it another chance. Is the following possible?

- assign a button, perhaps the power button, to only toggle the TV power across activities ( I reserve the + button ( lower left on the Smart Control and One) for that and it's very convenient. The Ultimate One equivalent button is the red bar for Blu- Ray apps.
- assign favorites to apps as opposed to TV stations which I rarely look at ( that is, I almost never use the TV for TV and when we do we have 3 stations that we use)
- send numeric numbers on the Smart Control remote to my Fire TV. There appears to be no way to map those numeric buttons on the remote to do anything when controlling the Fire TV over BT ( unless I go the FLIRC route and bypass Bluetooth). My Smart Keyboard seems to have more functionality when controlling my Mac Mini. The numbers do get sent.

For the record, Logitech's support for their Harmony remotes has been great for us over the long period of time we have used their remotes. The hub based remotes have turned out to be really neat even though I was a sceptic for ages. Just heard of the new Home hubs but I assume they would have no advantage for someone not interested in controlling anything other than TV related attachments?

Philip
post #2318 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
I have the Smart Control, Ultimate One, One, Smart Keyboard AddOn. For some odd reason I prefer the basic remote that comes with the Smart Control ( feel, placement of buttons, the lower left + sign). I have not used my One or Ultimate One in a month or so but I think it's time to give it another chance. Is the following possible?

- assign a button, perhaps the power button, to only toggle the TV power across activities ( I reserve the + button ( lower left on the Smart Control and One) for that and it's very convenient. The Ultimate One equivalent button is the red bar for Blu- Ray apps.
- assign favorites to apps as opposed to TV stations which I rarely look at ( that is, I almost never use the TV for TV and when we do we have 3 stations that we use)
- send numeric numbers on the Smart Control remote to my Fire TV. There appears to be no way to map those numeric buttons on the remote to do anything when controlling the Fire TV over BT ( unless I go the FLIRC route and bypass Bluetooth). My Smart Keyboard seems to have more functionality when controlling my Mac Mini. The numbers do get sent.

For the record, Logitech's support for their Harmony remotes has been great for us over the long period of time we have used their remotes. The hub based remotes have turned out to be really neat even though I was a sceptic for ages. Just heard of the new Home hubs but I assume they would have no advantage for someone not interested in controlling anything other than TV related attachments?

Philip
The power button on the Ultimate, Touch, is not a power button, rather it is an Off Activity button. It cannot be used to power on a device. It's only use is to power off devices started by an Activity. It sounds like from your description are not using the remote as intended. Harmony remotes are all about Activities, for example Watch TV where you group several devices that are needed to Watch TV, such as TV, AV Receiver, and Cable Box. When you start the Watch TV Activity, all three devices are powered on and the inputs are set on the TV and AV Receiver. When you are done watching TV you press the Off button, and all 3 devices are powered off.
post #2319 of 2329 Old 10-17-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
The power button on the Ultimate, Touch, is not a power button, rather it is an Off Activity button. It cannot be used to power on a device. It's only use is to power off devices started by an Activity. It sounds like from your description are not using the remote as intended. Harmony remotes are all about Activities, for example Watch TV where you group several devices that are needed to Watch TV, such as TV, AV Receiver, and Cable Box. When you start the Watch TV Activity, all three devices are powered on and the inputs are set on the TV and AV Receiver. When you are done watching TV you press the Off button, and all 3 devices are powered off.
Right, I do not use it that way. I want to control the power to the TV. So, if I start a Watch TV Activity I will first turn on the TV. If I then want to watch my Apple TV I don't want the TV turning off. Same with any number of devices connected to the TV. So I really don't use the power button because I don't want it to turn off my devices. But, I do like have a power toggle for the TV.

I am using Activities, just not quite in the same way you are describing.

Ideally, I'd like to remap that "power" button but I guess that's not possible.

Philip
post #2320 of 2329 Old 10-18-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz View Post
Would you mind sharing what adapters you are using? I have a 2.5 stereo to 3.5 stereo with a 3.5 stereo cable from my Hub to my Anthem MRX-500 and I can't get the IR commands to work. I'm wondering if I need a 2.5mm mono adapter instead.
Correct, you need mono adapters, I tried stereo and they did not work, I have a web of mono adapters to split it into 4 blasters, ugly but it works!
post #2321 of 2329 Old 10-18-2014, 06:40 AM

You can set your devices to not power off until you press the Off button. Say you start a Watch a Movie activity, and you latere change to the Watch TV activity, the DVD player was turned on in the first Watch a Movie activity, the DVD player is no longer needed in the Watch TV activity, under normal circumstances the DVD player would turn off when you start the Watch TV activity by changing the power settings of the DVD player to not turn off until the off button is pressed, it would now remain on until you press the Off button.
post #2322 of 2329 Old 10-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
Right, I do not use it that way. I want to control the power to the TV. So, if I start a Watch TV Activity I will first turn on the TV. If I then want to watch my Apple TV I don't want the TV turning off. Same with any number of devices connected to the TV. So I really don't use the power button because I don't want it to turn off my devices. But, I do like have a power toggle for the TV.

I am using Activities, just not quite in the same way you are describing.

Ideally, I'd like to remap that "power" button but I guess that's not possible.

Philip
Just like the poster above me said, if your just switching activity from say TV to Apple TV the television will not turn off and then back on as long as your don't push the off button, you don't have to use the off button to change activity just push the activity you want and the components not being used in the new activity will turn off but the TV will stay on.
post #2323 of 2329 Old 10-18-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just like the poster above me said, if your just switching activity from say TV to Apple TV the television will not turn off and then back on as long as your don't push the off button, you don't have to use the off button to change activity just push the activity you want and the components not being used in the new activity will turn off but the TV will stay on.
Yes, I already do that. I have 6 Activities set up and they all work fine. I just, for convenience, wanted to be able to assign a consistent key to toggle power to the TV. I do this with the Smart Control basic controller. I use the lower left button so people always know where it is and don't have to fumble in the dark. I use the same button with my Harmony One. The problem arises with the Harmony Ultimate One as the lower left button on the remote is the red button used for DVD and Blu-Ray use. I want consistency between the remotes so that things are mindless. Since I can't do that with the lower left button I was looking for another convenient button. I unfortunately mentioned the Power Off button as it is in a convenient place. I really didn't mean to go into questioning the Activity based use of Harmony remotes. I am quite comfortable with that ( well, not an expert but pretty ok with it!). I was hoping beyond hope that I could remap that Power Off button so that it had a use of my choosing.

The whole problem is the button layouts are different between the basic remote, a Harmony One and Harmony Ultimate One. Just trying to make it easier for others who use them.

The other thing is that we almost never watch TV stations so that app channels would be far more useful when assigning favorites. So it would make more sense for us to have a Netflix favourite than say an NBC channel.

Finally, there is the issue of the remotes sending numbers to the Fire TV. That doesn't seem to be possible via Bluetooth.

Philip
post #2324 of 2329 Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 AM

I still don't understand you need to control the TV's power inside of an activity, if your TV powers on via the start of an activity, and the next activity includes the TV it will remain on. Controlling the TV's power by any other means other than the start of an activity or using the Off button will put your Harmony remote out of Sync
post #2325 of 2329 Old 10-19-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
I still don't understand you need to control the TV's power inside of an activity, if your TV powers on via the start of an activity, and the next activity includes the TV it will remain on. Controlling the TV's power by any other means other than the start of an activity or using the Off button will put your Harmony remote out of Sync
Basically because some people using the TV want to use the LG wand remote occasionally so I don't want things to get out of sync. Also, if you start an activity with the TV off then the TV goes on but the switching of ports and so on don't always work because of timing. I'd have to put a pause before the ports get switched. Consequently I prefer manually starting the TV and then selecting the activity. I can certainly see the advantage of only using the Harmony and have it deal with turning things on and then use the Off. My main work computer is on the TV so it is not controlled by the Harmony. For whatever reason I want to manually toggle the TV power!

Philip
post #2326 of 2329 Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Using long presses to control the display in activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by herfavoritedj View Post
does anyone know how to get the TV's actual settings to pop up? I tried a long press on menu but nothing.
It occurred to me the other day that this is programmable.

In Watch TV, short presses on the menu, up, down, right, left, and OK buttons control my cable box. But long presses can be programmed to control the TV. Similarly with the Watch Blu-ray activity. Works fine and I can quickly control my display without going into Device mode.

The only hard part is re-wiring my brain to do the long presses of the direction buttons once I'm in my display's menu via a long press of Menu.
post #2327 of 2329 Old 10-20-2014, 12:27 PM

Liked: 10
Question about WiFi, Bluetooth connections with Harmony Ultimate Home

I'm in the process of finalizing the component list for my home theater build and I'm sort of working in reverse, thinking about how my choice of components will be affected by my plan to control them with a Harmony Ultimate Home remote.

Note: I'm an experienced Harmony user -- I have a Harmony One and a Harmony 900 already in use in my home.

My question is this: can components that feature bluetooth and/or Wifi (I'm thinking of my AV receiver and possibly others like my blu-ray player, etc.) be controlled by the Harmony Ultimate Home via either of those radios (typically)?

Otherwise stated: I know that I can use the mini IR blasters to control my receiver, etc., as that is how I have managed my living room components with the 900 remote. I also know that my PS3 will no longer need an adapter (sweet!) as it does with the 900 once I switch to controlling it with the the Ultimate Home. But do any other components benefit from the bluetooth or Wifi options with respect to the Harmony Ultimate?

I ask all of this because I am selecting my components and I am at the phase where it comes down to the little things -- like choosing one receiver over another because it has built-in bluetooth. If bluetooth or WiFi in my chosen receiver allows me to control it with the Harmony via one of those options (rather than IR or RF-->IR blaster), that might swing me to choose that receiver (or other device).

I hope that makes sense. Many thanks.
post #2328 of 2329 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am running version 4.0.1 of the iPad App. The device screen which controls my Vizio TV is missing many buttons, including the control pad and numbers pad. It also has buttons that don't belong. I can't fix it, because when I go into the device editing function, all I get is a blank screen. I also have the app on my iphone, and it seems to be functioning correctly. Both devices are running IOS 8. Would it help if I re-installed the app on the iPad? I'll lose all my custom buttons. Or should I wait until the next update?
post #2329 of 2329 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone having issues with the Ultimate touchscreen remote and Roku? The other day, my setup notified me that my Roku could be controlled via IP / WiFi, and asked me if I wanted to control it that way. I selected YES. Every since then, there is a major lag between my remote and the Roku. It is intermittent, but annoying as heck. One interesting side item; I have the hard button add on remote also, and this one does not have the delay. Very weird situation. I even tried deleting the Roku device and adding it on again. But no luck. Thanks in advanceā€¦..
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page