Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 81 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
post #2401 of 2592 Old 11-24-2014, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
I have a new set up coming in about 10 days.

It will mean moving my AVR, SAT receivers and my Blu-Ray player into a closet in which the door to that closet will be closed. My Ultimate Hub will continue to "live" on top of my AVR. The problem that I see will be this:

The Hub will not be able to physically see the new TV that will be about 6 feet away from it (closed closet door)

If the Ultimate settings are changed from HUB to REMOTE on the HUB AND REMOTE ASSIGNMENTS for the new TV, will that allow me NOT to use the Mini Blasters (which I do not use now anyway because all components are in the same area and all current assignments are for HUB only).
If I understand correctly, the TV will be the only device outside your cabinet.

I would advise placing the hub inside your cabinet, purely for aesthetic reasons

You then have the option to set your remote to control the TV directly via IR, yes, but this will require pointing the remote again, and Activities using the TV that are launched from the app will not be able to fire commands to your TV. I would recommend placing a mini blaster somewhere in an open space in your room, and finding a location from which it's able to reach your TV. It's more discrete than the hub, and you won't need to worry about pointing your remote. The mini blaster, while not as strong as the hub, does fire a strong IR signal that can bounce around and reach devices that are a fair distance away.
CaptMike likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2592 Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It seems that one of the updates has broken something for me with sequences.

I'm guessing someone has decided to save stupid users from themselves and prevented the use of power toggle in a sequence if the device in question is set to be always on. Why, oh why must we be saved? Can't we decide how to use the bloody thing by ourselves?

My setup is as follows. Multiple sources connected to an AVR via HDMI and that is connected to a TV AND a projector. I have sequences inside each activity called "projector ON" and "projector OFF" which turn the projector ON, turn off the TV and lower the screen to cover the TV and vice versa. I've had to set the projector to be "always on" so that it would be always off (rather counter-intuitively) until I decide to use it within an activity. This has worked beautifully for me in the past until someone decided to break it.

You may argue that I should create activities for both displays separately but I don't want two activities for each source. I have enough of them already. Besides, I like using the small smart control remote for everything and that would be ruined.

So please, bring this option back. Optimally, make it possible to use ALL devices in a sequence, not just the ones in the activity.

P.S.

Any plans to support MiCasaVerde Vera in the future?
TorTorden likes this.
post #2403 of 2592 Old 11-27-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarti42 View Post
It seems that one of the updates has broken something for me with sequences.

I'm guessing someone has decided to save stupid users from themselves and prevented the use of power toggle in a sequence if the device in question is set to be always on. Why, oh why must we be saved? Can't we decide how to use the bloody thing by ourselves?
Classic Logitech, making something with a good potential and force you to use software with arbitrary limits dumbed down so the end product is a shadow of it's potential.
I can be broad here cause this statement has proven true for every logitech product I have owned for the past 15 years...

Especially the macro functions for the harmony was suprisingly hamstrung with limits.

Although I am saying your idea with the macro's for switching between tv and projectors sound very clever. I am going to try something similar to that, but as you say they clipped your wings, I am also adding all the needed power commands for the tv, drop down screen and projector as additional commands to my Denon avr, that way they should be available, well here's hoping.
slarti42 likes this.
post #2404 of 2592 Old 11-27-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
I am going to try something similar to that, but as you say they clipped your wings, I am also adding all the needed power commands for the tv, drop down screen and projector as additional commands to my Denon avr, that way they should be available, well here's hoping.
That's almost the approach I took after I calmed down and started thinking again. I just taught the missing projector power commands as new buttons for my TV and added them to the sequences. Works well and as an added bonus I can just ditch the projector as a member of the activity and don't have to deal with the added complexity.
post #2405 of 2592 Old 11-27-2014, 08:52 AM

Tested it out with my ps4 activity, and it worked like a charm.
It's a hack but it worked.

Feel like setting up everything from scratch now, since having double, if not triple activities (one for tv, one for projector) I have wound up with 13+ activities which now could probably be cut down to something like 6, maybe 7 total.

Only major downside I can think of is that if I accidentally hit either of those macros things could get weird but then again, after we have the lock screen accidental touching of the screen isn't that big a deal.
post #2406 of 2592 Old 11-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post
If I understand correctly, the TV will be the only device outside your cabinet.

I would advise placing the hub inside your cabinet, purely for aesthetic reasons

You then have the option to set your remote to control the TV directly via IR, yes, but this will require pointing the remote again, and Activities using the TV that are launched from the app will not be able to fire commands to your TV. I would recommend placing a mini blaster somewhere in an open space in your room, and finding a location from which it's able to reach your TV. It's more discrete than the hub, and you won't need to worry about pointing your remote. The mini blaster, while not as strong as the hub, does fire a strong IR signal that can bounce around and reach devices that are a fair distance away.
Thank you

TV Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA TS02, X-10 lighting, IR543 Powerhouse Command Ce
AVR Yamaha TSR-6750WA
BR Player Sony S6200
STB Dish 211K
SPEAKERS JM lab speakers
REMOTE CONTROL Harmony Ultimate remote
post #2407 of 2592 Old 11-27-2014, 02:34 PM

Sorry, I was wrong. The option to use those buttons in sequences is still available in the PC setup program MyHarmony. For some reason you just can't use them when configuring from a phone.

Weirdly, this bug forced me to think a little and I think the macro is almost perfect now and even stays in sync!

Here's what I did:

• Added discrete(!) power buttons for the projector and the TV.
  • Projector ON sequence: PJ ON, TV OFF, SCREEN DOWN
  • Projector OFF sequence: PJ OFF, TV ON, SCREEN UP
  • Projector power settings set to be always ON except when the Harmony OFF-button is pressed and use only one button for on/off which is configured to be the discrete OFF.
  • Screen power settings set to be always ON except when the Harmony OFF-button is pressed and use only one button for on/off which is configured to be SCREEN UP.

This way the screen and projector won't do anything when an activity starts because SCREEN UP and PJ OFF are sent to them in the beginning. Harmony thinks they are on and won't touch them until you fire the macro telling them to do stuff. The real beauty comes from the fact that you can change activities freely and when you press OFF, the PJ will turn off if it was on and screen will go up if it was down but won't do anything else because only the PJ OFF and SCREEN UP are sent instead of toggle.

Very happy logitech screwed this up. Now don't fix it!
post #2408 of 2592 Old 11-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Liked: 10
Question Gyrosope / cursor / mouse pointer control?

This may just come under the heading of "cursor control", but want to be clear before I buy the Harmony Ultimate.

My brand spankin new LG 65UB9500 TV has a remote that moves a pointer around the screen when you move the remote around. I had my doubts about such a thing but I have to admit it works well. When you hover the pointer over things the center button on the remote selects what you want.

Does the Harmony Ultimate replicate this functionality? If so, is it as easy to control as the LG remote?
post #2409 of 2592 Old 11-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
This may just come under the heading of "cursor control", but want to be clear before I buy the Harmony Ultimate.

My brand spankin new LG 65UB9500 TV has a remote that moves a pointer around the screen when you move the remote around. I had my doubts about such a thing but I have to admit it works well. When you hover the pointer over things the center button on the remote selects what you want.

Does the Harmony Ultimate replicate this functionality? If so, is it as easy to control as the LG remote?
In short, no.

The harmony has no gyro's or accelerometers and functions only with devices through IR commands.

Edit:
Well technically it has a gyro or something, but it only uses it for waking itself up when you pick it up.

Last edited by TorTorden; 11-28-2014 at 04:36 PM.
post #2410 of 2592 Old 11-28-2014, 08:03 PM

Well, that's disappointing but good to have confirmation. Thanks.

Quote:
In short, no.

The harmony has no gyro's or accelerometers and functions only with devices through IR commands.

Edit:
Well technically it has a gyro or something, but it only uses it for waking itself up when you pick it up.
post #2411 of 2592 Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 PM

Liked: 0
A little clarification please

I recently set up a Roku activity on my Ultimate. None of the controls on the Activity screen work with my Roku (HDMI) Stick. But if I open the Roku Stick in Devices all of the "buttons" work perfectly. I understand that the "Stick" does not contain an IR sensor but since I have a Hub wouldn't the Harmony control the Roku Stick via Wifi? I don't mind having to go into devices to control the Stick. I'm just curious as to why. This is my first post after being a member/ lurker for the past several years. I'm a 56 year old Grandpa, please be gentle.

Thank you all
post #2412 of 2592 Old 11-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

I just added a device - Samsung TV UN65HU8550

On the remote under that device I notice that several screen buttons are greyed out:

ENTER
ESCAPE
HIPPDIRECTION DOWN
HIPPDIRECTION LEFT
HIPPDIRECTION RIGHT
HIPPDIRECTION UP
HOME
SKIP BACK
SKOP FORWARD
PAGE UP
PAGE DOWN
DELETE

does anyone know why they are greyed out?

AVR Yamaha TSR-6750WA
BR Player Sony S6200
STB Dish 211K
SPEAKERS JM lab speakers
post #2413 of 2592 Old 11-29-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just made switch to Fios from DTV. Using Harmony Ultimate and can't seem to figure out something. It appears, all HD Channels on Fios require an additional step to tune to the HD Channel. This step requires pressing the C button on Fios remote. I have programmed my ultimate to work with Fios but can't figure out how to add this function (C) to the ultimate.

Is there anything someone can suggest? I hate this extra step just to tune to the HD channels. TY
post #2414 of 2592 Old 11-29-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronasam View Post
I recently set up a Roku activity on my Ultimate. None of the controls on the Activity screen work with my Roku (HDMI) Stick. But if I open the Roku Stick in Devices all of the "buttons" work perfectly. I understand that the "Stick" does not contain an IR sensor but since I have a Hub wouldn't the Harmony control the Roku Stick via Wifi? I don't mind having to go into devices to control the Stick. I'm just curious as to why. This is my first post after being a member/ lurker for the past several years. I'm a 56 year old Grandpa, please be gentle.

Thank you all
This may be similar to an issue I was having with the cursor buttons working on the cable box and not the TV when in a watch TV mode. I needed to use the TV cursor to move around the 3D select screen. For other things the cursor buttons made sense to be on the cable box. You can set a second function to each button. Long push (unit vibrates to tell you that you pushed it long enough) You can set that to Roku functions.

http://support.myharmony.com/en/arti...20-%20s-a-2119

I don't have ROKU so I may be reading your question wrong but hope it helps.
post #2415 of 2592 Old 11-29-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Renaming a "function"

Have the smart control and Hub, and so far am very pleased.
I rarely use the included remote, preferring to use a dedicated ipad instead.
I am taking advantage of easily remove the unused buttons ("functions") from the various activity screens.

However; how does one change the name or title of a button/function on an activity screen.
My "Watch TV activity" includes control of my Dish network DVR w/OTA tuner.
The button for access to the DVR menu page is called "LIST". Would prefer to rename this from "LIST" to "DVR" ?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #2416 of 2592 Old 11-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Liked: 0
Thank you for your response. I figured out my problem. I initially set up the Roku Stick as a custom activity. Don't recall if Harmony had a dedicated "Watch Roku" activity at that time but they do now. So I simply deleted my custom activity and then re-set the activity with the dedicated activity and all works fine from the activity screen. Plus I found an even better activity icon photo WOO-HOO! So now with this post I have 2 in seven years as an AVS member. I feel so published now with my user name in lights, WOW! I read AVS everyday and have always found great usable info. GOD Bless to all!!!
post #2417 of 2592 Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 PM

I have several question for the harmony guys. First I absolutely love the harmony smart control and see the new one has home automation buttons and looking to upgrade. Add nest thermostat and Philips hue bulbs to the house.

Do I need to get a new hub or does the one I already have setup do everything the harmony home control does?

If I need the new hub will I be able to copy my living room setup to the new hub? I have it set perfectly and would hate to have to do it over.

I want to setup a hub in my back yard and in my master bath so I can control my lights a sound system in both these areas. Do I need the extender or another hub in each location?

Thanks
Nate

tubes tubes and more tubes.
post #2418 of 2592 Old 11-30-2014, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Is there some way to choose "Record" (CTRL+R) or the Info about a Current show in WMC with the "Windows Computer" Bluetooth Device for Smart Keyboard and Ultimate remote?
post #2419 of 2592 Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have problems (quirks) with their ARC HDMI input switching when they have their AVR ARC enabled and connect HDMI between the AVR and the TV...if so..how do you handle that with your Harmony remote?

AVR Yamaha TSR-6750WA
BR Player Sony S6200
STB Dish 211K
SPEAKERS JM lab speakers
post #2420 of 2592 Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Anyone have problems (quirks) with their ARC HDMI input switching when they have their AVR ARC enabled and connect HDMI between the AVR and the TV...if so..how do you handle that with your Harmony remote?
Nothing but.

Solution: Disabled all forms of HDMI-CEC functions..

Only thing I would use ARC for anyways was the wii u though, the rest passes through my avr.
One could probably add a delay to the activities that doesn't use ARC (so most of them I guess) so you can let the tv sync,let the force of the avr into the TV channel happen before the activity channel selection happens, but I guess for me at least that would make starting for each activity at least 10-30 seconds longer than now.

Real solution, get an optical TOSLINK cabel to the avr from the tv.
post #2421 of 2592 Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=TorTorden;29490210]Nothing but.

Solution: Disabled all forms of HDMI-CEC functions..

Quote:
Only thing I would use ARC for anyways was the wii u though, the rest passes through my avr.
My understanding of ARC IS to have all audio pass through your AVR

Quote:
One could probably add a delay to the activities that doesn't use ARC (so most of them I guess)
The only thing that ARC is need for is the audio from the various apps installed on the TV as the TV is the source of that Audio.
So it seems to me you would only have a delay for 1 Activity...say..."Watch Apps On TV"

Quote:
solution, get an optical TOSLINK cabel to the avr from the tv.
I do have a toslink ordered for that purpose but I will be missing some audio quality such as it can only decode two channels of uncompressed lossless PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound such as Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. Unlike HDMI, TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

AVR Yamaha TSR-6750WA
BR Player Sony S6200
STB Dish 211K
SPEAKERS JM lab speakers
post #2422 of 2592 Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
My understanding of ARC IS to have all audio pass through your AVR
Not really, it's just a way to route audio from the tv to an AVR when using sources that are directly connected or internaly connected to the tv and not the AVR, depends of course a bit with the tv but in my case there would be zero difference in quality from using ARC or the optical cable method.

Quote:
The only thing that ARC is need for is the audio from the various apps installed on the TV as the TV is the source of that Audio.
So it seems to me you would only have a delay for 1 Activity...say..."Watch Apps On TV"
Sadly it's the very opposite, every time the tv turns on and has CEC\ARC enabled it will signal the AVR to switch to the "TV" input channel, so the only time I wouldn't have to delay is that one activity where I would need it, and I only use that every other month or so.

Quote:
I do have a toslink ordered for that purpose but I will be missing some audio quality such as it can only decode two channels of uncompressed lossless PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound such as Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. Unlike HDMI, TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
HDMI ARC does NOT support or carry hidef audio, it can with some tv's bitstream regular lossy DTS surround or Dolby surround, otherwise it's limited by the DAC in your TV for PCM signals for mine that is 2 channels max.

In 99% of use cases the only real difference between ARC and an optical cable is that there is a second cable coming out of the tv.
And of course you can turn off the mess of bugs that is HDMI CEC, I have honestly never seen that feature solve any problems without bringing four more.
post #2423 of 2592 Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not really, it's just a way to route audio from the tv to an AVR when using sources that are directly connected or internaly connected to the tv and not the AVR, depends of course a bit with the tv but in my case there would be zero difference in quality from using ARC or the optical cable method.

Sadly it's the very opposite, every time the tv turns on and has CEC\ARC enabled it will signal the AVR to switch to the "TV" input channel, so the only time I wouldn't have to delay is that one activity where I would need it, and I only use that every other month or so.

HDMI ARC does NOT support or carry hidef audio, it can with some tv's bitstream regular lossy DTS surround or Dolby surround, otherwise it's limited by the DAC in your TV for PCM signals for mine that is 2 channels max.

In 99% of use cases the only real difference between ARC and an optical cable is that there is a second cable coming out of the tv.
And of course you can turn off the mess of bugs that is HDMI CEC, I have honestly never seen that feature solve any problems without bringing four more.
What I was referring too...I think I also said it below my response...was to have ALL of the audio from the tv go to the ARV which are ONLY apps and such on the SMART TV

Note this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
"ARC is used when people want to send sound generated by the TV itself, say for instance thanks to its internal OTA tuner connected to a set of rabbit ears [terrestrial antenna], back to the receiver for better sound through the surround sound setup."
It is different from what you are saying

AVR Yamaha TSR-6750WA
BR Player Sony S6200
STB Dish 211K
SPEAKERS JM lab speakers

Last edited by CaptMike; 12-01-2014 at 10:24 AM.
post #2424 of 2592 Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
In short, no.

Edit:
Would the swipe screen work?
post #2425 of 2592 Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone tried both the Ultimate Home and the Home Control remotes? I have a Harmony 900 right now, and wanted to try the Nest and Hue integration in the new products. I can't get over the lack of number buttons on the new remotes, so I picked up a Harmony Home Control on sale from Best Buy...I haven't opened it yet though. Anyone have opinions on both?
post #2426 of 2592 Old 12-02-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Have the smart control and Hub, and so far am very pleased.
I rarely use the included remote, preferring to use a dedicated ipad instead.
I am taking advantage of easily remove the unused buttons ("functions") from the various activity screens.

However; how does one change the name or title of a button/function on an activity screen.
My "Watch TV activity" includes control of my Dish network DVR w/OTA tuner.
The button for access to the DVR menu page is called "LIST". Would prefer to rename this from "LIST" to "DVR" ?
Can anyone help me with the following:

How does one change the name or title of a button/function on an activity screen?

My "Watch TV activity" includes control of my Dish network DVR. The "button" for access to the DVR menu is called "LIST". Is it possible to rename a button (would prefer to rename this from "LIST" to "DVR") ?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #2427 of 2592 Old 12-04-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a question which may have been covered. Does anyone know why when customizing buttons in an activity you are limited to only choose devices that are in that activity? I find this to really dumb down the capabilities of the personal customization of the remote. This was not the case with my Harmony 1100.

There are many reasons people would want access to a button in an activity for a device not listed in the initial start up of that activity. Harmony, if you are listening please give use access to this.

Thanks
TorTorden likes this.
post #2428 of 2592 Old 12-04-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a question which may have been covered. Does anyone know why when customizing buttons in an activity you are limited to only choose devices that are in that activity? I find this to really dumb down the capabilities of the personal customization of the remote. This was not the case with my Harmony 1100.

There are many reasons people would want access to a button in an activity for a device not listed in the initial start up of that activity. Harmony, if you are listening please give use access to this.

Thanks
post #2429 of 2592 Old 12-04-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I can't follow the logic flow of that. If the device isn't the activity, you shouldn't be using it in that activity.

Can't you include a device, but not have it do anything at startup? Maybe that's exactly what you're asking. If so I apologize.
post #2430 of 2592 Old 12-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Can't you include a device, but not have it do anything at startup?

I had to do exactly this with my 2 zone receiver so I could control the second zone while in a "main area" activity. It was a pain but it worked well once it was set up.

I also did this with my light switches. I added them to the activity, but set them to not do anything at startup or shutdown. Then I could just control them as I needed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control