Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have an issue with their ultimate "ok" button not working unless you press it a certain way? I have to push it towards the up position to get it to work. I've had this issue before on my iPhone's Home button which ultimately required the phone to be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Can anyone help me with the following:

How does one change the name or title of a button/function on an activity screen?

My "Watch TV activity" includes control of my Dish network DVR. The "button" for access to the DVR menu is called "LIST". Is it possible to rename a button (would prefer to rename this from "LIST" to "DVR") ?
Perhaps what I am is asking above,(renaming a button); cannot be done?
I am also OK with the "not possible"response...

Thanks in advance for ANY response

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Perhaps what I am is asking above,(renaming a button); cannot be done?
I am also OK with the "not possible"response...

Thanks in advance for ANY response
It can be done in the Buttons sections of the MyHarmony application. You can relabel any soft button.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
It can be done in the Buttons sections of the MyHarmony application. You can relabel any soft button.
Thank You!
I was on the MyHarmony app but somehow missed it. I'll give it another try-appreciate your help !!!!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 12-04-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I can't follow the logic flow of that. If the device isn't the activity, you shouldn't be using it in that activity.

Can't you include a device, but not have it do anything at startup? Maybe that's exactly what you're asking. If so I apologize.
If I include it then it's required to always turn on when I start the activity. In my case it's an external device I onky want on sometimes so I want to have access to the power toggle and a couple other functions.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 448
^^^
You can configure any device to not power on in activities. You can also manually add functions from any device whether it's in the activity or not. At least this is how Harmony software used to work on other remotes.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How Do I program an Alt-F4 combo keypress to my Harmony Smart Control (I have the Microsoft MCE-Keyboard devices). When I add a sequence it doesn't do the combo, but rather one key then the next.

thx
Old 12-10-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have a Harmony 890 that I've had for over 7 years which has RF. I've dropped it so many times that probably 7-8 buttons no longer work. I've been looking at this new smart hub.

I called into Harmony and told them I didn't want a remote and just wanted to use my Iphone 5 to control everything. They said all I'd need is the $99 hub and the smart phone app. Is this true?

1) They said as long as I can get a blaster to the tv remote window, I can control the tv and the cable box, etc, that is hidden in the cabinet. Is this true?

2) I have about 10 activities in my harmony 890. Can I still do as many?

3) Isn't anyone solely using an ipod or iphone to control everything, instead of having an actual remote?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Old 12-10-2014, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Yes, what they told you is true. The hub itself has IR, and the then you an hook blasters to it or with the appropriate adapters you can do direct IR input for devices that support that.

I don't know the limit on activities off-hand, it's probably in the faq, I believe it varies based on which package you purchase from them.

I personally wouldn't use just a phone or tablet. At the very least get the Smart remote version, it's a nice, light-weight remote, and with the short and long push buttons you get a lot of control. I use an Ultimate in the theater and a Smart in the family room, where my interaction with the system tends to be more basic, and I love the Smart for basic tasks.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
I have a Harmony 890 that I've had for over 7 years which has RF. I've dropped it so many times that probably 7-8 buttons no longer work. I've been looking at this new smart hub.

I called into Harmony and told them I didn't want a remote and just wanted to use my Iphone 5 to control everything. They said all I'd need is the $99 hub and the smart phone app. Is this true?

1) They said as long as I can get a blaster to the tv remote window, I can control the tv and the cable box, etc, that is hidden in the cabinet. Is this true?

2) I have about 10 activities in my harmony 890. Can I still do as many?

3) Isn't anyone solely using an ipod or iphone to control everything, instead of having an actual remote?
#1 is true. I have my hub sitting in a closet (door closed) on top of my AVR. It controls my AVR, BP, STB, Wii I could have allowed the hub to control the TV if the mini blasters were connected to the hub but I did not want to run that wire outside of the closet door. Instead I just changed my "HUB AND REMOTE ASSIGNMENTS" for my TV to "REMOTE". This way my Ultimate remote will send IR to that TV (I know you said you did not want a remote). As far as the app goes using my phone, I cannot control the TV now, so I just use the remote.

#2 . Yes. You are only limited to the number of "DEVICES" you have and that is 8 for the hub only http://myharmony.com/products/detail/home-hub/ and with the Ultimate/Hub remote system you can control 15 devices http://myharmony.com/products/detail/ultimate-home/ You don't have a limit on "Activities" on either one.

#3 . Not me

Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA TS02, X-10 lighting, IR543 Powerhouse Command Center
Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote

Last edited by CaptMike; 12-11-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
#1 is true. I have my hub sitting in a closet (door closed) on top of my AVR. It controls my AVR, BP, STB, Wii I could have allowed the hub to control the TV if the mini blasters were connected to the hub but I did not want to run that wire outside of the closet door. Instead I just changed my "HUB AND REMOTE ASSIGNMENTS" for my TV to "REMOTE". This way my Ultimate remote will send IR to that TV (I know you said you did not want a remote). As far as the app goes using my phone, I cannot control the TV now, so I just use the remote.

#2 . Yes. You are only limited to the number of "DEVICES" you have and that is 8 for the hub only http://myharmony.com/products/detail/home-hub/ and with the Ultimate/Hub remote system you can control 15 devices http://myharmony.com/products/detail/ultimate-home/ You don't have a limit on "Activities" on either one.

#3 . Not me
Jasonn B,

I have the smart-control-hub setup. I am controlling the hub by an orignal i-pad, that I have "re-purposed" as my new "dedicated remote". Although many don't care for the touch-screen, I am just fine. Haven't used the smart remote in about a year.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Old 12-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Wow...since when did Harmony start charging $10 per incident for phone support if their remote is over 90 old?

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Pet harmony peeve.

Macro's aren't shared between activities, so I have to remake make them for each activity I need them in..
Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

FIX FOR ANYNET COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS BETWEEN SAMSUNG TV AND YAMAHA AVR

1. Add and additional command (AVR input) to the Activity sequence following this http://support.myharmony.com/en/teac...issing-command and once you have done that....

2. Go into your Activity on myharmony and click CUSTOMIZE THIS ACTIVITY.

3. From there, click on ADD STEP at the top of that page and SELECT YOUR DEVICE from the drop down box

4. Then in the ACTION column, select COMMAND in the SELECT ACTION drop down

5. In the VALUE column, select your newly named command from step 1

6. Click SAVE

You many need to also add a delay BEFORE your newly added command (as I did)

To do this:

1. Select ADD DELAY at the top of the CUSTOMIZE THIS ACTIVITY page

2. Use the up/down arrows located in the VALUE field to select your delay time or just click in that field and enter the number from your keyboard.

3. Click SAVE

Note that you can do these 2 procedures in any order, as you can reorder the delay you have created to be BEFORE the your newly added command using the reorder horizontal bars to the left of the ORDER column.

Pay it Forward

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote

Last edited by CaptMike; 12-12-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:43 AM
1C5

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Does the remote connect to the hub through wifi or Bluetooth?
I have the hub in the basement with my rack and am trying to use the remote in the family room. I'm getting lots of "unable to connect to hub" errors when using the remote. Is there anything I can do to help this outside of moving the hub closer to remote? (This is not possible in my setup)
Old 12-14-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bluetooth AppleTV support broken in latest version:

SmartKeyboard and Ultimate sending navigational keys by IR and esc/trackpad by bluetooth. Have tried resetting to defaults, adding/removing device and activity. There is no way to select which way to send the command which would solve this issue should it happen again.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C5 View Post
I have the hub in the basement with my rack and am trying to use the remote in the family room. I'm getting lots of "unable to connect to hub" errors when using the remote. Is there anything I can do to help this outside of moving the hub closer to remote? (This is not possible in my setup)
The communication between the remote and hub is RF

The issue is not " moving the hub closer to remote" it would be moving the HUB closer to the router.

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 AM
1C5

Quote:
Quote:
The communication between the remote and hub is RF

The issue is not " moving the hub closer to remote" it would be moving the HUB closer to the router.
Thanks. The hub is right next to my router and the remote is still losing connection to the hub when I try to start activities. Any idea what the issue might be?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. The hub is right next to my router and the remote is still losing connection to the hub when I try to start activities. Any idea what the issue might be?
1. Has this happened in the past?

2. Try pulling power from the hub...wait about 1 min...then reconnect power back to the hub...wait for the green light to illuminate steady on the hub and try again with the remote.

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 AM
1C5

Quote:
Quote:
1. Has this happened in the past?

2. Try pulling power from the hub...wait about 1 min...then reconnect power back to the hub...wait for the green light to illuminate steady on the hub and try again with the remote.
The error says "unable to reach hub. Bring remote closer to hub"

I just got the remote and it's been giving me this issue for a few days.

I did try pulling the power from the hub. No help.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting. So then as I understand it, you have never been able to use your remote/hub?

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:18 AM
1C5

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. So then as I understand it, you have never been able to use your remote/hub?
It starts my activity properly maybe 30% of the time. The other 70% it loses connection to hub and won't start the activity properly.

Very strange. Just wondering if there may be something simple to fix it or if I have to return it and try another remote solution.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had the same connection problems too,turns out it was my router.I had to replace it and it's been working flawlessly ever since.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It starts my activity properly maybe 30% of the time. The other 70% it loses connection to hub and won't start the activity properly.

Very strange. Just wondering if there may be something simple to fix it or if I have to return it and try another remote solution.
What other devices are connected to your wireless network?

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 AM
1C5

Quote:
Quote:

What other devices are connected to your wireless network?

I just moved into a new house so I have only my Lennox furnace controls hooked to the router, Apple tv, sonos, my Marantz receiver and an iPad and a couple iPhones.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just moved into a new house so I have only my Lennox furnace controls hooked to the router, Apple tv, sonos, my Marantz receiver and an iPad and a couple iPhones.
Well, now I'm stumped.

I do have some communication issuse with my hub on occasion, but every time that happens..a power cord pull and reconnect has resolved the issue.

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote

Last edited by CaptMike; 12-14-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Sooooo . . . help me complete the following, as a new owner/user of the smart remote . .
my hub should / will function best when connected or near my AVR, entertainment center console
does it need to be connected to the TV for visuals?

the intro to this thread is excellent reading but it gets long

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU
Klipsch FL/FR: F3 , Center: Icon 25 , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR :Icon 36 Towers, TF & TR: SLX
FH :RB51's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
SHARP 80" LED/LCD, Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
Old 12-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
Sooooo . . . help me complete the following, as a new owner/user of the smart remote . .
my hub should / will function best when connected or near my AVR, entertainment center console
does it need to be connected to the TV for visuals?

the intro to this thread is excellent reading but it gets long
Not sure what you mean by: "does it need to be connected to the TV for visuals?"

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 57
how will I see what I'm doing just asking
ow kinda lost

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU
Klipsch FL/FR: F3 , Center: Icon 25 , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR :Icon 36 Towers, TF & TR: SLX
FH :RB51's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
SHARP 80" LED/LCD, Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
Old 12-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
how will I see what I'm doing just asking
ow kinda lost
Do you mean..does it have a GUI?

Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
Harmony Ultimate remote

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control