Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #2521 of 3075 Old 01-10-2015, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just looked on website you can get the numbered remote for cheap to add to the hub FYI!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3075 Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
Your pretty defensive over a remote control, it's just a remote and one persons opinion, I'm not trashing it or saying I hate it, all I'm saying is that its a cool looking remote that has its trade offs, is that so bad that it got your panties in a bunch?. I knew it didn't have a number key pad, and I knew I may not like that it didn't but I like the smaller size and some of the abilities of the touch screen so I tried it out. Relax its just a remote, no need to get so defensive cause someone doesn't think its the bees knees.
Not being defensive just tying to get into your brain.

You said it does not have a key pad. What about the key pad on the touch screen when a device is added, such as a DTV or DISH STB?
post #2523 of 3075 Old 01-10-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Just looked on website you can get the numbered remote for cheap to add to the hub FYI!
The number keys are dedicated to a particular device (IR code)

In other words, the numbered remote added to the hub will not work for more than one device
post #2524 of 3075 Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
The number keys are dedicated to a particular device (IR code)

In other words, the numbered remote added to the hub will not work for more than one device
The Smart Control Add-on remote requires an existing Harmony Ultimate Hub. Harmony Ultimate Hub is included with Harmony Ultimate, Harmony Smart Keyboard, or Harmony Ultimate Hub.* Smart Control Add-on is not compatible with Harmony Home Hub.
post #2525 of 3075 Old 01-10-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The Smart Control Add-on remote requires an existing Harmony Ultimate Hub. Harmony Ultimate Hub is included with Harmony Ultimate, Harmony Smart Keyboard, or Harmony Ultimate Hub.* Smart Control Add-on is not compatible with Harmony Home Hub.
This one connects directly to hub via blutooth no ir!
post #2526 of 3075 Old 01-10-2015, 12:08 PM

post #2527 of 3075 Old 01-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Add on...understand
post #2528 of 3075 Old 01-10-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Add on...understand
Yeah he already has the ultimate with touch and he can just add it,
post #2529 of 3075 Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any information on when the Harmony Hub Extender is coming out? I haven't seen anything since the September announcement. I really need something help with my light controls in my HT.
post #2530 of 3075 Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhoenig View Post
Does anyone have any information on when the Harmony Hub Extender is coming out? I haven't seen anything since the September announcement. I really need something help with my light controls in my HT.

I don't know what remote you have but I have the Ultimate and X-10 home theater lighting and use an IR543 with the remote.
post #2531 of 3075 Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I have X-10 and it works fine with my Ultimate. I use the IR543 and I have a few extras if you need one.

I used the IBM Lighting (IBM HD23) in the myharmony database
If I could have found the IR543 at a reasonable price, I would definitely have preferred to get that because it was actually meant to work with X-10 directly without having to be converted using some kind of method I am not able to get right with this supposedly comparable Smarthome IRLinc device I bought. Weren't' they retailing for around $15 when they were available? I paid over $50 for this used 2411R, so if I can't find any way to actually use it with my Harmony hub and existing X-10 modules I will have to try to return it and take you up on the IR543 offer... Thanks for the response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insteon2411RX10inst.png
Views:	53
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	474489  
post #2532 of 3075 Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I spent some time last night trying to integrate my Hue's with this thing. I added it through the software, but i'm not able to incorporate through any activities.

Everything I read talks about doing this through the app and/or through the remote. I did it through the remote, and can turn off/on, but thats it. It won't let me integrate to the activity any further.

Seems like an odd issue. Maybe I need to remove the Hue completely and start over, adding through the remote.

I'd really like to PAUSE a movie, and have the lights come back on. Any other automation I handle through something else.
post #2533 of 3075 Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhoenig View Post
The Harmony Home Hub Extender will be available this spring!

Just a little more patience

post #2534 of 3075 Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I spent some time last night trying to integrate my Hue's with this thing. I added it through the software, but i'm not able to incorporate through any activities.

Everything I read talks about doing this through the app and/or through the remote. I did it through the remote, and can turn off/on, but thats it. It won't let me integrate to the activity any further.

Seems like an odd issue. Maybe I need to remove the Hue completely and start over, adding through the remote.

I'd really like to PAUSE a movie, and have the lights come back on. Any other automation I handle through something else.
The way hue is programmed into Activity start & stop actions is different for Ultimate and Ultimate Home products. On Ultimate, it's done directly on the remote, from the bulb icon. On Ultimate Home, this is done by (re)visiting Activity setup from the Harmony app.

It currently isn't possible to tie home control actions to a specific button press, unfortunately.

post #2535 of 3075 Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post
The Harmony Home Hub Extender will be available this spring!

Just a little more patience
Any word on the price and specifications? Will this give the Ultimate all the capabilities of the Ultimate Home? Does it replace the existing hub or work alongside it?
post #2536 of 3075 Old 01-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Yep, although Ortek works fine with the Ortek profile and for basic commands, but it can't do key combos like a Microsoft dongle can. I use Ortek on all my PCs and Raspberry Pi's running XBMC and they work fine. I simply have no need for combos. The advantage of Ortek is that the dongle is very small and includes a USB extension and wakes my PC properly 100% of the time. I've never been able to find a Microsoft (MCE) dongle that can consistently wake my PC.

Obviously, you must use an Ortek or Adesso profile on your Harmony for it to function at all, as Sylvain said. The Media Center profiles won't work because Ortek uses an entirely different protocol. The Windows Media Center SE profile is totally incompatible with Ortek.

You can also use both an Ortek and Microsoft dongle. I ran that way for a while, using Ortek just for wake and Microsoft for everything else. But even that ultimately failed as my Microsoft dongle driver would sometimes fail to load after a sleep/wake cycle.

Ppilot, if you want to get rid of that Ortek, PM me. I could always use a spare.
Hey there. I'm back with a few more questions about the Harmony Ultimate. I'm thinking about using this with XBMC(Kodi now) and also a Fire TV. From what I've read I need to use something like the Ortek for the FireTV to work properly. I figured I'd also use them for the PC's since they can wake reliably. However, when you program the Hamony Ultimate Home remote for the Ortek profile, does the number keypad work in that profile? One of the things I was really hoping to find is a solution that will allow using the numeric keypad while watching live TV in Kodi (or within the EPG).

Thanks again.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #2537 of 3075 Old 01-13-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post
Hey there. I'm back with a few more questions about the Harmony Ultimate. I'm thinking about using this with XBMC(Kodi now) and also a Fire TV. From what I've read I need to use something like the Ortek for the FireTV to work properly. I figured I'd also use them for the PC's since they can wake reliably. However, when you program the Hamony Ultimate Home remote for the Ortek profile, does the number keypad work in that profile? One of the things I was really hoping to find is a solution that will allow using the numeric keypad while watching live TV in Kodi (or within the EPG).

Thanks again.
Of course it does. But what does that have to do with Fire TV? The Ultimate controls the Fire TV natively via bluetooth, no IR dongle required.
post #2538 of 3075 Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Of course it does. But what does that have to do with Fire TV? The Ultimate controls the Fire TV natively via bluetooth, no IR dongle required.
Right. OK I think I'm confusing myself with my two different remote setups. Right now I'm using the 650 in my living so with that I'd need the Ortek setup and IR dongle. Although I'd still want to use the Ortek setup with the Ultimate (if I decide to go that route) as that would be controlling a WMC PC with Kodi on it.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #2539 of 3075 Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post
The way hue is programmed into Activity start & stop actions is different for Ultimate and Ultimate Home products. On Ultimate, it's done directly on the remote, from the bulb icon. On Ultimate Home, this is done by (re)visiting Activity setup from the Harmony app.

It currently isn't possible to tie home control actions to a specific button press, unfortunately.
Sigh. Ok, thanks for the reply.

I'm a little disappointed with the amount of "integration" with the Ultimate, but I guess it's better than nothing.
post #2540 of 3075 Old 01-14-2015, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
Any word on the price and specifications? Will this give the Ultimate all the capabilities of the Ultimate Home? Does it replace the existing hub or work alongside it?
I've got the same questions on this. Hoping Harmonysylvain will respond.
post #2541 of 3075 Old 01-15-2015, 10:19 AM
pjp

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm trying to use the Smart Control Hub to control my 2-channel stereo from my iPhone 6, but when I set up the "Listen to CD" activity, for example, it defaults to 3 screens of commands. The first screen is a number pad, which is not applicable to my system or CD player, the second screen is transport and volume controls, and the third screen is (drum roll please) -- a single stop button.

What I want is a single scrteen that has only the commands I need. Is there any way to customize buttons on a smartphone? When I go into "My Harmony", I only see options for button customization on the simple remote (which I'm not using). I also don't see any button configuration options in the app itself. I've used many Harmony remotes over many years, but am new to the Smart Control, so I'm probably missing something and would appreciate any advice.
post #2542 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 05:40 AM
pjp

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I'm trying to use the Smart Control Hub to control my 2-channel stereo from my iPhone 6, but when I set up the "Listen to CD" activity, for example, it defaults to 3 screens of commands. The first screen is a number pad, which is not applicable to my system or CD player, the second screen is transport and volume controls, and the third screen is (drum roll please) -- a single stop button.

What I want is a single scrteen that has only the commands I need. Is there any way to customize buttons on a smartphone? When I go into "My Harmony", I only see options for button customization on the simple remote (which I'm not using). I also don't see any button configuration options in the app itself. I've used many Harmony remotes over many years, but am new to the Smart Control, so I'm probably missing something and would appreciate any advice.
Bump: Is there really no solution to configure the buttons on the smartphone? It's actually easier to use the standard remote I am trying to replace than to have to scroll through 3 or 4 separate screens of controls it currently forces me to have on the Smart Control smartphone app.
post #2543 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Recommendation for IR on Home Control

After four years of relatively smooth sailing, my 900 is dying. It constantly crashes, resets, freezes, etc. and after doing everything on the software side I can (firmware resets, restores) I'm giving up. Wife is pretty fed up, too.

I would like to go with the Home Control but without the IR on the remote I'm not sure how I can make it work.

My setup is TV (Samsung UN55D8000) on the wall and all components racked up high in a closed closet. Because there's no way the blasters in the closet can reach the TV, the 900 worked well because of the IR on the remote. There's no way to run one of the stock mini blasters to get line of site, either.

I do have available CAT6 running from the closet to behind the TV. Has anyone adapted a mini blaster to run over CAT6? Is there another option I'm missing? Could I do HDMI-CEC control from my Denon X3000 receiver?

All I really do with the remote is turn the TV on and off.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by loungesong; 01-16-2015 at 11:40 AM.
post #2544 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM

I actually have a Samsung un65f7100 on the wall and ended up using a cat 5 same thing for the application but i had to double up pairs for it to work just using one twisted pair did not work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2-RTi-10's 1-CSi5 2-TSi400 6-r150's 1-Velodyne DPS-12(rebuilt power supply with new cap's and rectifier), 1-18-22 UM powered by Behringer 3000DSP
Yamaha RX-A3030 and Emotiva XPA-200
PS3-4, Apple TV, Directv Genie, and custom built PC 8core and 16 gigs of ram w/ bluray everything on a half rack on wheels in closet except pc,
Samsung UN65F7100
post #2545 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I actually have a Samsung un65f7100 on the wall and ended up using a cat 5 same thing for the application but i had to double up pairs for it to work just using one twisted pair did not work for me.

Wow, thanks for the reply. So you just cut one of the mini blaster cords in half, and spliced each wire to the CAT6 (using a pair for each IR blaster wire)? Duh! Why didn't I think of that?

Last edited by loungesong; 01-16-2015 at 11:54 AM.
post #2546 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 11:53 AM

I just cur one of the blasters cords to length i needed and wired red to one pair and black to another pair and repeated on the other end and just 2sided taped the blaster eye just below the bottom right corner of tv and has worked fine for the past year now. My closet is about 45' away in the back of the room if that helps.

2-RTi-10's 1-CSi5 2-TSi400 6-r150's 1-Velodyne DPS-12(rebuilt power supply with new cap's and rectifier), 1-18-22 UM powered by Behringer 3000DSP
Yamaha RX-A3030 and Emotiva XPA-200
PS3-4, Apple TV, Directv Genie, and custom built PC 8core and 16 gigs of ram w/ bluray everything on a half rack on wheels in closet except pc,
Samsung UN65F7100
post #2547 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Maybe someone could help me with an issue related to the wrong input selected by the AV receiver.
I a few words, I conected a Panasonic tv TX-L37E30B, a Yamaha AVR RX-A2040 and an Oppo BDP-103D to three activities: watching tv, movies and listen to music. Everything works fine except one thing: whenever I switch on to watch movies, after I close everything off and restart the watch tv activity, the AVR input starts corectly to TV, but after few seconds moves automatically to AV1 (the bluray player entry).

Do you know why that happens and what's the solution? The fix command on my remote works everytime, but that fix is only temporarily.

Thanks in advance.
post #2548 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

If you hit the Menu button from within your Activity and select 'Edit' you'll be able to rearrange the commands as you desire, or add some.

post #2549 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub

[QUOTE=travisbest;Do you know why that happens and what's the solution? The fix command on my remote works everytime, but that fix is only temporarily.[/QUOTE]

Do you have ARC and/or HDMI link set up on any of your devices? If so, try disabling that and see what happens.
post #2550 of 3075 Old 01-16-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
Is is an extender - so will only work with the Harmony Hub. It will work with any hub-based Harmony remote - Ultimate, Ultimate Home, Smart Control, Home Control, etc.

I'm not certain on the price, unfortunately, but it will allow direct control of both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices without the need to integrate through another platform such as SmartThings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page