Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes
post #2611 of 3082 Old 02-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shsinclair View Post
Hi again,
I have a Yamaha receiver with multizones. I have added the '2nd zone receiver' as a separate device but whenever I select an activity in the 2nd zone, it shuts down whatever activity is on in the main zone and visa versa. If I use the remotes that came in the box it works as it should (one person can continue watching tv while some listens to music in zone 2) but for whatever reason the harmony doesn't seem to be treating them as 'separate amps' and therefore doesn't let one activity occur in zone 1 (ex. watch satellite) and a second activity (ex. Listen to cd on deck (Zone 2)) occur concurrently. Any other multizone amp and harmony ultimate home owners know what I should be doing?

Thanks
What I have done to get the zone 2 to work with other types of activities is create new activities that include the zone 2. For example watch TV in the main zone with zone 2 included. I then included zone 2 buttons for volume up and down and input for zone 2. this has worked for me. you could also just select the device while in an activity and manually turn on the zone 2. Hope this helps.

My meager set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic DMB-BDT360
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Panasonic 65VT60
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3082 Old 02-17-2015, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a receiver with two zones and a Harmony 900. For me, I needed to make sure I changed the default setting for the remote to "not" turn off devices not in use. If you have it set to turn off devices not in use, when you switch from an activity in Zone 1 from to an activity in Zone 2, the remote will automatically turn off the devices used in the zone 1 activity.
post #2613 of 3082 Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrllc View Post
I have a receiver with two zones and a Harmony 900. For me, I needed to make sure I changed the default setting for the remote to "not" turn off devices not in use. If you have it set to turn off devices not in use, when you switch from an activity in Zone 1 from to an activity in Zone 2, the remote will automatically turn off the devices used in the zone 1 activity.
Awesome. Will give that a try.

Thanks
post #2614 of 3082 Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there
I have a Harmony Ultimate Home which I absolutely love. When I set it up, I added a default channel to start with my "turn on the tv" activity. I cant seem to find a way to change that channel anywhere. I tried adding a sequence with a delay to the end of the activity but the change channel step in the initial activity seem to clash and it winds up going to some random channel I don't want. How do I change the default starting channel in an activity?

Thanks
post #2615 of 3082 Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The TV normally has a warm up time to actually start. You have to insert a "delay time" between the the commands for the initial start up. If the TV hasn't actually started it will not respond to the command. hope this makes sense.
post #2616 of 3082 Old 02-18-2015, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shsinclair View Post
Hi again,
I have a Yamaha receiver with multizones. I have added the '2nd zone receiver' as a separate device but whenever I select an activity in the 2nd zone, it shuts down whatever activity is on in the main zone and visa versa. If I use the remotes that came in the box it works as it should (one person can continue watching tv while some listens to music in zone 2) but for whatever reason the harmony doesn't seem to be treating them as 'separate amps' and therefore doesn't let one activity occur in zone 1 (ex. watch satellite) and a second activity (ex. Listen to cd on deck (Zone 2)) occur concurrently. Any other multizone amp and harmony ultimate home owners know what I should be doing?

Thanks
Harmony remotes can only control one Activity at a time, so if you change Activities, any devices used in the last activity and not used in the next activity will be turned off, unless you either set them to be always on or set them to only turn off when the Off button is pressed.
post #2617 of 3082 Old 02-18-2015, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question,

How long does your Harmony Ultimate's battery last?

It seems that I can get between 3-5 days depending on how heavily that it's used. This seems like it drains rather fast to me. I've had the remote for a little under a year and a half. Just wondering as to how long your battery life on your Harmony Ultimate usually lasts.

Thank you for any responses.
post #2618 of 3082 Old 02-18-2015, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I get about 5 days from mine. The battery is a mixed bag on this device. For me it lasts for awhile, then it just dies, I rarely get any notice. I believe it's supposed to warn you when it's low, but mine usually doesn't, and when you are on the gesture screen there is no battery indicator. So that is annoying. Also, it will drain even when it's not in use. If you go away on vacation and don't put it on the charger it'll be dead when you get back. On the flip side it charges to full pretty quickly. And I haven't noticed in degradation. I'm coming up on 2 years of use with the Ultimate and the battery life seems consistent.

I recently noticed that when I used my phone to turn my system on while the remote was in the charger the remote still sent the IR and turned on my projector. That caught me off guard. In the past when I tried the phone app I would get a warning that everything in the activity might not function due to the lack of IR on the phone. So that is helpful when you forget to charge it up in time.
MasterAudio likes this.
post #2619 of 3082 Old 02-18-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
So my Harmony Ultimate Home notified me that a firmware update was available, so I did the update. Now the Screen Lock feature can't be disabled. Grrr...
post #2620 of 3082 Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post
So my Harmony Ultimate Home notified me that a firmware update was available, so I did the update. Now the Screen Lock feature can't be disabled. Grrr...

I had to do a reboot hub on the remote I think then after few tries it worked again if I remember correctly.
post #2621 of 3082 Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
I had to do a reboot hub on the remote I think then after few tries it worked again if I remember correctly.
Mine went through without a hitch. Keep fingers crossed.
post #2622 of 3082 Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Thanks I'll give that a shot!
post #2623 of 3082 Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Question that is kinda related to this thread......

Will the hub work on the Harmony One?

I like the idea of using my phone to control things while working around the house. I currently use a Onkyo App to control my AVR, but it is pretty glitchy, it would be nice if I could use the hub. I listen to music outside on Zone 2 of my AVR, and I am constantly adjusting volume, and switching music tracks.

If I could use the hub, i would ditch the buggy app.

Thanks
post #2624 of 3082 Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAudio View Post
Quick question,

How long does your Harmony Ultimate's battery last?

It seems that I can get between 3-5 days depending on how heavily that it's used. This seems like it drains rather fast to me. I've had the remote for a little under a year and a half. Just wondering as to how long your battery life on your Harmony Ultimate usually lasts.

Thank you for any responses.
Maybe 2 days. If I use it to watch a movie on Friday night, and don't cradle it, it'll probably be dead if we watch again on Sunday night. Possibly even for Saturday night.

I always put it in the cradle, or it will surely be dead next time I need it. I have had to use the android app many times
post #2625 of 3082 Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
Question that is kinda related to this thread......

Will the hub work on the Harmony One?
Nope.
post #2626 of 3082 Old 02-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Nope.
Thanks
post #2627 of 3082 Old 02-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
do devices connect to the hub via wifi?

i have a finished theater w/ most gear in the server room, which is located in the room beyond the theater. wondering how i can control the avr, oppo, with no line of site?

My theater build : Roll-In Reels Cinema (7.2.4 atmos theater)
post #2628 of 3082 Old 02-21-2015, 03:24 AM

Liked: 0
Still can't change the default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post
The TV normally has a warm up time to actually start. You have to insert a "delay time" between the the commands for the initial start up. If the TV hasn't actually started it will not respond to the command. hope this makes sense.
I get your point on the delay but I'm not changing the tv channel, I'm changing the dvr which is on always since its taping.

There was a way in the initial setup to set the default channel but the option to change it is missing.
post #2629 of 3082 Old 02-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I bought the Harmony Ultimate several months ago and never got around to even opening the box until today (it is snowing like the dickens here and I was stuck at home with nothing else to do on a Saturday!). I must admit that I was a bit worried about how easy or difficult it would be to program the remote to control the five components in my bedroom because I am not technologically inclined, but it turned out to be really simple. Everything worked exactly as intended the first time around which really surprised me. Kudos to Harmony for making the programming so easy!

Now I need to practice using the remote. I know that I will probably have some questions for you in the days to come, but here is a question for you already. How do I get the screen to show me a numerical keyboard so that I can directly switch to a channel that is not on my list of favorites?

I'm really looking forward to all the fun that I will have with this remote.

Cal68
post #2630 of 3082 Old 02-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
I bought the Harmony Ultimate several months ago and never got around to even opening the box until today (it is snowing like the dickens here and I was stuck at home with nothing else to do on a Saturday!). I must admit that I was a bit worried about how easy or difficult it would be to program the remote to control the five components in my bedroom because I am not technologically inclined, but it turned out to be really simple. Everything worked exactly as intended the first time around which really surprised me. Kudos to Harmony for making the programming so easy!

Now I need to practice using the remote. I know that I will probably have some questions for you in the days to come, but here is a question for you already. How do I get the screen to show me a numerical keyboard so that I can directly switch to a channel that is not on my list of favorites?

I'm really looking forward to all the fun that I will have with this remote.

On the remote go into the menu on the remote screen and select the Activities, you will see Set Default home screen there.

My meager set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic DMB-BDT360
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Panasonic 65VT60
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096

Last edited by jnnt29; 02-22-2015 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Updated path for home screen edit
post #2631 of 3082 Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post
I was not talking about an IR extender, I was talking about running a new cat5 cable from your closet to the tv and splicing the ir emitter that came with the hub. I assume this wouldn't be too hard as you already have cables running from that closet to the tv (HDMI etc).
I have exactly the same problem, that tv is in one room and the equipment is in the other room and I can't control the TV with harmony ultimate remote without pocking through the wall to run IR extender. Could you explain the splicing cat5 cable idea since I have cat5 cable in place already

Thanks
post #2632 of 3082 Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arryo View Post
I have exactly the same problem, that tv is in one room and the equipment is in the other room and I can't control the TV with harmony ultimate remote without pocking through the wall to run IR extender.
Why can't you opt to use IR just for the TV?
post #2633 of 3082 Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Rambler is right if you have the ultimate, but if you just have the smart controller or just the app available, then splice one of your IR emitters and join to the cat5 cable.

You literally cut your IR emitters and with wire stripper expose the wire and do the same with the cat5 and join/splice them, that is it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #2634 of 3082 Old 02-22-2015, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone know how to use the buttons on your smartphone as volume up/down with the harmony app.With the latest update it said you could but I just can't seem to figure it out
post #2635 of 3082 Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post
do devices connect to the hub via wifi?

i have a finished theater w/ most gear in the server room, which is located in the room beyond the theater. wondering how i can control the avr, oppo, with no line of site?
The handhelse unit uses radio communications with the hub, the smart apps (Droid/apple) uses wifi.
It however only controls devices via IR signals (or bluetooth for game consoles etc)

I to keep the AVR etc outside my room and as far as I can tell the ultimate has never lost connection with the hub from anywhere in the house, granted my apartment is pretty small nut I think I would have to walk it down the street before it lost connection.
However if you have a fully soundproofed and insulated room that would soak up rf signals something fierce so it could be an issue.

I feed one ir blaster back into my room but you can also setup the harmony itself as a blaster for tv/projector etc.
lpnaz480 likes this.
post #2636 of 3082 Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Rambler is right if you have the ultimate, but if you just have the smart controller or just the app available, then splice one of your IR emitters and join to the cat5 cable.

You literally cut your IR emitters and with wire stripper expose the wire and do the same with the cat5 and join/splice them, that is it.

Yes I do have the ultimate (one remote, one hub), I didn't know it can control directly via IR. In the manual, it said I connect one IR blaster to tv area, and one to equipment area so I thought everything is via IR blaster
post #2637 of 3082 Old 02-22-2015, 09:38 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Matza View Post
Hi there
I have a Harmony Ultimate Home which I absolutely love. When I set it up, I added a default channel to start with my "turn on the tv" activity. I cant seem to find a way to change that channel anywhere. I tried adding a sequence with a delay to the end of the activity but the change channel step in the initial activity seem to clash and it winds up going to some random channel I don't want. How do I change the default starting channel in an activity?
Within my STB's menu settings there is an option to tune a specific channel when powered up. Did you look there?

The way I would do it in MyHarmony would be to go to Activities -> [your TV activity] -> "Customize this activity", and under "Activity startup commands" add a step to tune to a channel of your choice.

Last edited by vivatech; 02-22-2015 at 09:42 AM.
post #2638 of 3082 Old 02-22-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
how do i do that?
post #2639 of 3082 Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arryo View Post
how do i do that?
On phone/tablet app goto settings, hub assignments and choose how you want to send signals. Only for ultimate, smart has no IR on remote.

Jeff
post #2640 of 3082 Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
On phone/tablet app goto settings, hub assignments and choose how you want to send signals. Only for ultimate, smart has no IR on remote.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page