Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 91 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes
post #2701 of 2712 Old 03-25-2015, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm thinking of upgrading from a Harmony Touch to an Ultimate. Just wondering about placement of the Hub and IR blasters and if what comes in the box will cover me.

I have an open entertainment center with 3 shelves. AVR is on the bottom. Xbox One and Xbox 360 slim on the next level which both often don't turn on with my Touch. Apple TV and Satellite box and two non-IR consoles on the next shelf. TV is on the wall above.

Will the included Hub and IR blasters be able to cover all of this? Any potential problems?

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U. Plus a bunch of old consoles.
XBL: DELTAprime, PSN: DELTAsnake, Wii U: DELTAprime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2712 Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
[QUOTE=DELTAsnake;32915081]I'm thinking of upgrading from a Harmony Touch to an Ultimate. Just wondering about placement of the Hub and IR blasters and if what comes in the box will cover me.

I have an open entertainment center with 3 shelves. AVR is on the bottom. Xbox One and Xbox 360 slim on the next level which both often don't turn on with my Touch. Apple TV and Satellite box and two non-IR consoles on the next shelf. TV is on the wall above.

Will the included Hub and IR blasters be able to cover all of this? Any potential problems?[/QUOTE

As far as the Hub, the two included mini blasters should cover the areas the Hub cannot cover. You can also buy a mini plug splitter to add more mini blasters if needed. Posts on page one contains a Q&A that covers most questions and which plug size to get..

Are updating the Touch to use it with the Hub which will give you the RF control like the Ultimate for about $99 or getting the Ultimate Home remote. I have the Ultimate and the also the Touch which I upgraded to work with the Hub. The Touch with the Hub is almost the same as the Ultimate minus a couple of areas.

My meager set up
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic DMB-BDT360
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
post #2703 of 2712 Old 03-25-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAsnake View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading from a Harmony Touch to an Ultimate. Just wondering about placement of the Hub and IR blasters and if what comes in the box will cover me.

Will the included Hub and IR blasters be able to cover all of this? Any potential problems?
The 360 will always be a problem. It needs a dedicated blaster right on top of the port or at least really close to it. Others should be ok.
post #2704 of 2712 Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Got the Harmony set up and my AV installer told me I should return it for one much more configurable. So much of my house if now automated that I am considering it.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 | Oppo BDP-105D | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote
post #2705 of 2712 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
Got the Harmony set up and my AV installer told me I should return it for one much more configurable. So much of my house if now automated that I am considering it.

Such as???

I wish my Harmony did more, but I haven't found a good (consumer-level) option that doesn't look like it was inspired by something from the early 90's!
post #2706 of 2712 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Is it best buy running upgrade to ultimate promotion?
post #2707 of 2712 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub

Quote:
Got the Harmony set up and my AV installer told me I should return it for one much more configurable.
And I'm sure it's not because he wants to sell you one and/or offer his programming services to you.
Gator99 and DenonLover like this.

Last edited by Rambler358; Today at 09:51 AM.
post #2708 of 2712 Old Today, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Such as???

I wish my Harmony did more, but I haven't found a good (consumer-level) option that doesn't look like it was inspired by something from the early 90's!
Wait for Harmony Home Hub Extender that will expand ZigBee® and Z-Wave Plus™ compatibility. http://myharmony.com/products/detail/home-hub-extender/
Current listed as 130US at retailers.
Also with IFTTT Implementing that Logitech are testing out now.
https://ifttt.com/harmony
http://support.myharmony.com/en/harm...nce-with-ifttt

Sure it will do alot more than current Harmony remotes does.
post #2709 of 2712 Unread Today, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 413X3 View Post
My ultimate remote activity (directv) becomes unresponsive to every command sometimes, I can press buttons and the screen shows the buttons are pressed, but nothing happens. Not even the volume and it is tied to my receiver. No directv button works either. I have to change the activity to something else, then go back to my directv activity and everything works again for a bit. Resetting the remote and firmware does not fix it as this problem appears again days later at random. Anyone else?

And opening the harmony app on my apple laptop I get a prompt to update silverlight, I have the updated version already downloaded.
I thought my Ultimate was the problem but after troubleshooting this I've found that if you are on a Directv 'active' channel there are times when it is necessary to press 'exit' first before it will change channels, respond to a guide or list command. Something to try before making any changes to your remote configuration.
post #2710 of 2712 Unread Today, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Such as???

My installer suggested the Complete Control but also mentioned the URC, General Pro, Crestron, Phillips, RTI, and UEI. In a perfect world their would be a local member who could give me a hand over a beer and some tequila shots.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 | Oppo BDP-105D | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote
post #2711 of 2712 Unread Today, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
My installer suggested the Complete Control but also mentioned the URC, General Pro, Crestron, Phillips, RTI, and UEI. In a perfect world their would be a local member who could give me a hand over a beer and some tequila shots.
You need to decide if you want to maintain the system yourself or pay someone else to do it. The above systems will be thousands in hardware and thousands more for programming services. Then a couple hundred every time you need to make a change. Nothing wrong with that approach, but just want to make you aware it won't be anywhere near as cheap as Harmony.

BTW, he's working with some old information. Philips left the pro remote business a few years ago. And UEI no longer has a pro line either (although they do make my favorite remotes of all time - JP1 and Xsight). I've never heard of General Pro, if that's really a thing.
post #2712 of 2712 Unread Today, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
You need to decide if you want to maintain the system yourself or pay someone else to do it. The above systems will be thousands in hardware and thousands more for programming services. Then a couple hundred every time you need to make a change. Nothing wrong with that approach, but just want to make you aware it won't be anywhere near as cheap as Harmony.

BTW, he's working with some old information. Philips left the pro remote business a few years ago. And UEI no longer has a pro line either (although they do make my favorite remotes of all time - JP1 and Xsight). I've never heard of General Pro, if that's really a thing.
I would likely want to maintain the Harmony myself but if I moved to a complete control I would likely want them to do it. I am doing a bunch of home automation now so it would be cool to have it all off of the remote. The sun shades behind our woven wood blinds in the living are set up for me to control as are the big ass fans with haiku, the garage door opener, the front door and some lighting just not sure i am ready for the steep cost to have installed. I think I need to really think this one over and see if I can live with the harmony.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page