Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 92 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
post #2731 of 2759 Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
It's dead, Jim. My 1-year-old Ultimate's battery lasts for days. Don't shoot the messenger. Contact Logitech and ask them to replace it.
Thanks, will do. I hope there's no hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post
Need a little help,
I have a harmony ultimate one that does not want to power up my Sony STR-ZA3000ES avr during activities put it will power up when I just select the avr by itself and hit the power on button.
I have tried many delays and power options via the webpage software to no avail.
Thanks.
Still having this problem? If yes, in your Activities set up, have you tried changing the order in which your equipment powers up, such as putting the receiver first in line?
Also, maybe examine how your TV and receiver are set up for using CEC/Bravia Sync/HDMI control. Let's know if and how you fixed the problem. Good luck.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #2733 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have read all of Logitech's marketing and support material, read the FAQ at the beginning of this thread, and searched the 'Net to no avail; I cannot find an answer to this simple question:

HOW MANY DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES DOES THE ULTIMATE SUPPORT?

I know it supports up to 15 DEVICES... but how many ACTIVITIES? Strangely, this information seems to be NOWHERE. You'd think they would put it somewhere in the marketing material for the Ultimate or the Ultimate Home.

If someone here could answer this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
post #2734 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscCollector View Post
I have read all of Logitech's marketing and support material, read the FAQ at the beginning of this thread, and searched the 'Net to no avail; I cannot find an answer to this simple question:

I know it supports up to 15 DEVICES... but how many ACTIVITIES? Strangely, this information seems to be NOWHERE. You'd think they would put it somewhere in the marketing material for the Ultimate or the Ultimate Home.

If someone here could answer this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

My understanding is there is no limit to the number of activities you can have.

My meager set up
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic DMB-BDT360
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
post #2735 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
My 890 barely works anymore. The buttons suck on that thing. I have a ton of activities in it, and have no clue what to replace it with.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #2736 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post
My understanding is there is no limit to the number of activities you can have.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only limit is related to the amount of memory they take up. So it would somewhat depend on the complexity of your devices and activities. The actual information that has to be stored per activity is probably pretty small, so I imagine you can have quite a few without any issues.

I typically have one activity per source device, plus one or two extra for music listening from the sources without video. I've never had a problem with that.
post #2737 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
My 890 barely works anymore. The buttons suck on that thing. I have a ton of activities in it, and have no clue what to replace it with.
An Ultimate or Ultimate Home is the closest to an 890 as they have IR and RF support from the remote. I had a couple of 890s, one stopped taking firmware updates, the other went through a few screens, and I couldn't find a good replacement for that remote until I tried the Ultimate. I'm much happier with it compared to the 890.
mayhem13 likes this.
post #2738 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
An Ultimate or Ultimate Home is the closest to an 890 as they have IR and RF support from the remote. I had a couple of 890s, one stopped taking firmware updates, the other went through a few screens, and I couldn't find a good replacement for that remote until I tried the Ultimate. I'm much happier with it compared to the 890.
Have you thought about that new Harmony remote that comes with an Iphone app and a small generic remote that lets you control everything from your iphone? Forget what it's called.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #2739 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Have you thought about that new Harmony remote that comes with an Iphone app and a small generic remote that lets you control everything from your iphone? Forget what it's called.
Well that's the Smart remote that this thread is also about. There is also the Smart Home. The app works with any of these remotes because it connects to the hub.

I use a Smart in my family room setup because it is a simpler system and I don't change settings much with that. It's great for that kind of system. For the Theater I use the Ultimate. Occasionally I pull up the app for either one, but I prefer the physical remotes as much as possible. If you didn't use custom buttons on your 890 beyond the activities, and you are fine with 6 activities only, the Smart is a good choice. If you are fine with using a phone all the time that would also make the Smart worthwhile.
post #2740 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
Well that's the Smart remote that this thread is also about. There is also the Smart Home. The app works with any of these remotes because it connects to the hub.

I use a Smart in my family room setup because it is a simpler system and I don't change settings much with that. It's great for that kind of system. For the Theater I use the Ultimate. Occasionally I pull up the app for either one, but I prefer the physical remotes as much as possible. If you didn't use custom buttons on your 890 beyond the activities, and you are fine with 6 activities only, the Smart is a good choice. If you are fine with using a phone all the time that would also make the Smart worthwhile.

I have both of the remotes that Keith has and I have agree the Smart remote is simpler and the Ultimate is great for a home theater set up. I move up to the Ultimate from the Harmony One and I have to say I am very happy with it. The Ultimate is the first remote that my wife actually likes and approves of..
azz7686 likes this.

My meager set up
post #2741 of 2759 Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscCollector View Post
Thanks!
A question very similar to yours was asked on Logitech's community forum site for the Harmony remotes, and it was answered by a Logitech employee with the user name of ETHarmony:
"Although there is no defined limit for Activities, it depends on multiple factors like memory of the remote and the complexity of each Activity.
You can create as many Activities you require and if the Sync [fails], it indicates that your Remote ran out of memory.
Best Regards,
ETHarmony"
49Merc likes this.

post #2742 of 2759 Old 04-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Harmony One - Any One?

I hope I am not crashing this thread or something else rude or stupid....

I have had harmony remotes since.....well - way before Logitech bought them up. My current model, (the HarmonyOne) just showed its first problem. It failed to control the components, so I started troubleshooting. It has never let me down before - and I have used it constantly for years.

Anyway - these are my observations: It's locked up!
The display showing activities is normal and seems proper.
BUT when you select another activity (besides the one showing as "selected") - you cannot. NOR does it control the equipment, even though I do see I/R coming from its transmitter.

Using the "Devices" mode seems to at least turn-on/off all employed devices, but no "more complex" commands work (not even volume on my Denon AVR).

My attempts to fix:
I performed the so-called "reset" (per the "My Harmony" instructions).
I also re-programmed it with my PC over USB (multiple times) using my "saved" activity/device setup. It completes the task - giving normal completion status.

However, failure symptoms remain identical: First activity appears to get selected but then it is "stuck" on it, and it does not actually work. (Devices don't respond to commands).

I downloaded and used the "new" software from Logitech's "My Harmony" page. Same results.
So now I suspect that whatever part of the processor/memory interface that groups together device commands to form an activity has been somehow cooked or corrupted, hardware-wise.

So I am preparing to buy a new remote. I have not found ANY remote that works as well for my HT - and I love the way Harmony has implemented its control (Activity instead of merely by device). But if anyone has a secret fix for this - I am all ears!

I also bought one of these for my dear old mother - to make her life easier, and she is lovin' it. But it looks like mine has bit the dust. The last HarmonyOne I purchased was priced at about $180, I shutter to think what a new or better one will cost.
Thanks for your attention!
post #2743 of 2759 Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJfromMD View Post
...So I am preparing to buy a new remote. I have not found ANY remote that works as well for my HT - and I love the way Harmony has implemented its control (Activity instead of merely by device). But if anyone has a secret fix for this - I am all ears!
I also bought one of these for my dear old mother - to make her life easier, and she is lovin' it. But it looks like mine has bit the dust. The last HarmonyOne I purchased was priced at about $180, I shutter to think what a new or better one will cost.
Thanks for your attention!
I suggest you speak with Logitech tech reps about the problem - maybe they can push out a remedy for your unit. Also, some used/refurb H1's can be found on the open market, such as on eBay - but buyer beware. If on eBay, ask/confirm from the seller that their H1 is indeed re-programmable AND make sure the transaction is covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. Again, buy beware. Good luck.

post #2744 of 2759 Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Did any one see upgrade promotion for existing harmony to ultimate? I forgot whether it was bestbuy or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2745 of 2759 Old 04-10-2015, 07:41 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Did any one see upgrade promotion for existing harmony to ultimate? I forgot whether it was bestbuy or?

It was at Best Buy, but I don't know if that option is still available
post #2746 of 2759 Old 04-11-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Long time Harmony user here. I'm building basement Media Room in New home, looking to cookbook it with this remote.

1. What's the best way to use this remote with a ceiling mounted projector?. If a cable back to the emitter, where could I source it?

2. Can it Control a multi room Sonos system?

3. Anyone use it with a Sony projector?

Thanks!
post #2747 of 2759 Old 04-11-2015, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Long time Harmony user here. I'm building basement Media Room in New home, looking to cookbook it with this remote.

1. What's the best way to use this remote with a ceiling mounted projector?. If a cable back to the emitter, where could I source it?

2. Can it Control a multi room Sonos system?

3. Anyone use it with a Sony projector?

Thanks!
I use an Ultimate with my projector and it works just fine. I set the IR to be emitted from the remote and it bounces off the screen back to the projector. It could work with the emitters in a similar manner too. Just depends on your setup.
post #2748 of 2759 Old 04-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

For my in-laws HT room, I used a couple of small inexpensive automotive convex mirrors (with adhesive back) to bounce/reflect the IR to where I needed it. Walmart or an auto parts store has them for maybe $5.

post #2749 of 2759 Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i bought the home ultimate and fired it up. this is my first harmony remote. a tad overwhelming but i think im getting it. the remote is going to be only used in my theater. with my 5 devices in the other room, and not connected, or powered up yet, the programming of the remote is more of a dry run.

i did have a question w/ activities and with what im trying to do. if i created my activity "watch a movie", this activity only powers up those devices. mine being the jvc rs57, oppo 103d, and yamaha a3040. then i would need to customize the activity if i wanted my lights to be on first when i push "watch a movie". then to add other light functions, like pause and the step lights turning on i would go under buttons correct? not making a new activity.
post #2750 of 2759 Old 04-11-2015, 11:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I bought ultimate with hub and keyboard with hub. Did I do double dipping and if one is redundant ?

post #2751 of 2759 Old 04-12-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post
then i would need to customize the activity if i wanted my lights to be on first when i push "watch a movie".
That's right.
post #2752 of 2759 Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Trying to figure out how to turn on and off zone 2 since I will not be using it all of the time, only when I want music in the backyard. I tested it on some 5.1 movies and it did not work but when I moved over to stereo it worked perfectly. I might need to add an analog to digital converter.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 | Oppo BDP-105D | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote
post #2753 of 2759 Old 04-12-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
Trying to figure out how to turn on and off zone 2 since I will not be using it all of the time, only when I want music in the backyard. I tested it on some 5.1 movies and it did not work but when I moved over to stereo it worked perfectly. I might need to add an analog to digital converter.
If your Denon is like mine, then stereo is indeed required for HDMI sources to work in Zone 2 (required for HDCP). There is no need for an A/D converter. I have discrete codes for this command ("All Zone") as well as Zone 2 on/off for which I can post the pronto hex if you can't find them in the Harmony database (I posted the codes a few months ago in one of the Denon threads here). I treat Zone 2 as its own device, distinct from Zone 1. My activity macros include the discretes for all zone and power for Zone 2, so all works seamlessly.

I can point you to my JP1 Denon upgrade which includes all 300 or so possible discrete commands for both zones. That can be used along with some other software to generate your own pronto hex which you can then submit to datasupport@logitech.com to be added to your account. Logitech may even be able to generate the codes themselves if you just point them to the correct Denon document and tell them which codes you want. I find they don't need as much hand holding as they used to. They must have finally hired someone who understands how to read protocol documents.

If you truly need 5.1 in Zone 2, then you'll need to take a big step up and get a different and much more expensive model AVR.
post #2754 of 2759 Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If your Denon is like mine, then stereo is indeed required for HDMI sources to work in Zone 2 (required for HDCP). There is no need for an A/D converter. I have discrete codes for this command ("All Zone") as well as Zone 2 on/off for which I can post the pronto hex if you can't find them in the Harmony database (I posted the codes a few months ago in one of the Denon threads here). I treat Zone 2 as its own device, distinct from Zone 1. My activity macros include the discretes for all zone and power for Zone 2, so all works seamlessly.

I can point you to my JP1 Denon upgrade which includes all 300 or so possible discrete commands for both zones. That can be used along with some other software to generate your own pronto hex which you can then submit to datasupport@logitech.com to be added to your account. Logitech may even be able to generate the codes themselves if you just point them to the correct Denon document and tell them which codes you want. I find they don't need as much hand holding as they used to. They must have finally hired someone who understands how to read protocol documents.

If you truly need 5.1 in Zone 2, then you'll need to take a big step up and get a different and much more expensive model AVR.
Right now I am just using my Marantz remote that is set for zone 2 to power it up when I need it which is not very often. I can see how treating zone 2 as its own device is the way to go so that is what I will do. Im not going to lie much of the other things you mentioned went over my head as I am new to coding remotes, in fact this is my first full week of it working after I set it up.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 | Oppo BDP-105D | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote
post #2755 of 2759 Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
Right now I am just using my Marantz remote that is set for zone 2 to power it up when I need it which is not very often. I can see how treating zone 2 as its own device is the way to go so that is what I will do. Im not going to lie much of the other things you mentioned went over my head as I am new to coding remotes, in fact this is my first full week of it working after I set it up.
Bottom line, if you need the "All Zone" or Zone 2 On or Off codes, let me know. You can simply email them to support at the address I posted and ask them to add to your account. Then create and modify your activities accordingly. I posted all that other stuff in case you were an expert and wanted to do much more on your own. I'm not sure if I have any Marantz codes, but I think most are the same as Denon, if you want to try them anyway. It's hard for me to go much further without a model number.
post #2756 of 2759 Old 04-13-2015, 10:51 AM

So I have had the hub and dinky remote (I used the iOS app mostly), but now purchased the "Logitech 915-000237 Harmony Ultimate Home Touch Screen Remote"...I can't figure out how to add the this new remote to the hub from either the iOS app or the Mac app. Do I have to start from scratch?
post #2757 of 2759 Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
So I have had the hub and dinky remote (I used the iOS app mostly), but now purchased the "Logitech 915-000237 Harmony Ultimate Home Touch Screen Remote"...I can't figure out how to add the this new remote to the hub from either the iOS app or the Mac app. Do I have to start from scratch?
To add the Remote to the HUB you need to select the Upgrade your Remote button on the left side of the screen on the Mac app and then follow the on screen directions.

My meager set up
post #2758 of 2759 Old 04-13-2015, 05:07 PM

It took a bunch of tries but I finally have the new remote and hub set up with the old remote's activities and devices.

Thanks
post #2759 of 2759 Unread Today, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Still having this problem? If yes, in your Activities set up, have you tried changing the order in which your equipment powers up, such as putting the receiver first in line?
Also, maybe examine how your TV and receiver are set up for using CEC/Bravia Sync/HDMI control. Let's know if and how you fixed the problem. Good luck.

I got it working now,I had to enable bravia sync on my 900b and turn on the cec on my 3000es avr....The amber light (standby) needed to be on for the remote discreet code to work...

Sony 55XBR900B w/Sub & 4K X10 Player
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS4 - Directv Genie HR-44 3/C41 mini's, Sunday Ticket & MLB Xtra innings
Sony STR- ZA3000ES AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page