Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 94 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #2791 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman555 View Post
I'm possibly looking to get either a Logitech Harmony Touch or a Logitech Smart Control w/ Simple Remote.
I almost exclusively use the Simple remote. I like the size of it and the feel and I don't have to look at it to use it. All of us prefer it over the app for navigating and volume control.

My wife usually uses the app on an iPad. The visual feedback seems important to her.

The app is nice for selecting the activity but I haven't found it to reliably stay connected to the Hub.
Thanks I think I like the look and design of the simple remote however my wife is set on backlit buttons, which I think remove the simple remote from the running unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Thanks I think I like the look and design of the simple remote however my wife is set on backlit buttons, which I think remove the simple remote from the running unfortunately.
She's right. We all wish it were backlit!
post #2793 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!
What is the main advantage of the Ultimate or Ultimate Home over the Touch? They look very similar.
Ultimates are RF and include the hub. Touch is IR only out of the box. If you want RF, you have to buy a hub separately. If you don't need RF, then the Touch is a good option. The vibration feedback is a non-issue IMO. Personally, I much prefer the 650/700 to the Touch/Ultimate line since I can use the former by feel, and it isn't crippled by lack of skip buttons.

The Smart is a non-starter for me due to the lack of an LCD and backlighting and direct IR. I'm not a fan of having to use my phone for additional commands. I can get the same result from my $3 JP1 remotes and a Next Gen battery.
post #2794 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Ultimates are RF and include the hub. Touch is IR only out of the box. If you want RF, you have to buy a hub separately. If you don't need RF, then the Touch is a good option. The vibration feedback is a non-issue IMO. Personally, I much prefer the 650/700 to the Touch/Ultimate line since I can use the former by feel, and it isn't crippled by lack of skip buttons.

The Smart is a non-starter for me due to the lack of an LCD and backlighting and direct IR. I'm not a fan of having to use my phone for additional commands. I can get the same result from my $3 JP1 remotes and a Next Gen battery.
Having had three previous generations of Harmony remotes now, I've become a huge fan of the Touch (I have the hub as well). Regarding "lack of skip buttons" - I've gotten so used to long-press for skip that I find I even hold the skip button down a long time on my other remotes
post #2795 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
regarding "lack of skip buttons" - i've gotten so used to long-press for skip that i find i even hold the skip button down a long time on my other remotes
+1
post #2796 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post
+1
Quote:
Having had three previous generations of Harmony remotes now, I've become a huge fan of the Touch (I have the hub as well). Regarding "lack of skip buttons" - I've gotten so used to long-press for skip that I find I even hold the skip button down a long time on my other remotes
So would you guys recommend the Ultimate One over the Simple Remote w/ Hub? If I'm buying the Ultimate One, I wouldn't be buying a separate hub.

I liked the built-in RF capability of the Simple Remote, along with the additional physical buttons.

But I feel like the Ultimate One may be fuller featured, forgiving the fact that it would be IR-only.
post #2797 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Ultimate Home FTW!
post #2798 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
The touchscreen remote does offer vibration feedback when you do touch a button or number on the screen. I have the Ultimate Home and like it a lot. Coming from A Harmony One, I thought I would have issue with the lack of dedicated number buttons,but I don't.
The Touch does not have haptic feedback (vibration) or the motion sensor like the Ultimate, Ultimate One, or Ultimate Home does. Also the Smart remote does not have IR, all control has to be done with the Hub
post #2799 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
The Touch does not have haptic feedback (vibration) or the motion sensor like the Ultimate, Ultimate One, or Ultimate Home does.
I never said it did. I have the Ultimate Home.
post #2800 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I've had other remotes with skip/ffwd buttons that do double duty. They never worked for me. I do a lot of rapid fire skips and ffwds with no room for long presses or gestures (well, I can think of one gesture I'd like to show Logitech ). I would have to repurpose other buttons. Not worth the hassle to me. My current remotes (not Harmony) simply have better ergonomics and more programming flexibility. So my Harmonys remain in a drawer.
post #2801 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I never said it did. I have the Ultimate Home.
Yes, but the OP was asking "I'm possibly looking to get either a Logitech Harmony Touch or a Logitech Smart Control w/ Simple Remote neither of which have Haptic feedback And I was replying to what you posted
Originally Posted by Rambler358
The touchscreen remote does offer vibration feedback when you do touch a button or number on the screen. I have the Ultimate Home and like it a lot. Coming from A Harmony One, I thought I would have issue with the lack of dedicated number buttons,but I don't.
post #2802 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 AM

Thank you for everyone's input.
I've decided to try the Simple Remote w/ Hub since I can pick it up at Best Buy and return it within 30 days if it doesn't suit me.

I'm a little concerned about touch screens and having so few physical buttons, especially since my 9 month old daughter is completely obsessed with anything with a screen, so we try to keep them away from her.

The Simple Remote w/ Hub appeals to me because of it's RF capabilities and the additional physical buttons. We have a lot of trouble with IR signals getting missed and the remote being out of sync with my devices, so hopefully this will be fixed.
I'll have to see whether I miss having a dedicated skip button or get annoyed by having to long-press an activity button to access my 4th activity.
Gator99 likes this.
post #2803 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
Yes, but the OP was asking "I'm possibly looking to get either a Logitech Harmony Touch or a Logitech Smart Control w/ Simple Remote neither of which have Haptic feedback And I was replying to what you posted
The OP was considering the Ultimate as well and I gave my feedback on it.
post #2804 of 2816 Old 05-14-2015, 06:15 PM

Ok so I'm setting up my Smart Control and am trying to get fancy with my HTPC and control the PC via my Ortek IR receiver.

Here's the catch: I want to keep my HTPC on at all times. I don't want it turning on and off when I start and end the HTPC activity. But, I didn't see a way to remove the turning on and off of the Ortek in the Harmony app. Any ideas?

I added the Ortek as a "media player." Was that the right thing to do?
post #2805 of 2816 Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Change the power options at the device level. Pick something to the effect of "leave this device alone" or "has no power commands". I don't remember the Logitech terminology exactly.

Every command on an Ortek also acts like a discrete on. So make sure there are no other Ortek commands in the activity, if you don't want to wake your PC for whatever reason. I even made my own function for Ortek that only does discrete on. I can post the pronto hex if you'd like.
post #2806 of 2816 Old 05-15-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So now that so many of you have become intimately familiar with the Ultimate system, how would you say it compares to the URC and Crestron wares? I'd imagine it's not quite as flexible and customizable, but it is good enough for the majority of us?

What you say are your top pros/cons for it?
post #2807 of 2816 Old 05-22-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Is key board and hub equally satisfying option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2808 of 2816 Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys.

Hoping you can all help me with an issue Im having.

I bought my Logi Harmony Ultimate bundle and have successfully set up one entertainment center in my home - The living room. This is where I have the hub and IR blasters setup.
That part of it is working great.

However, I have a separate and dedicated home theater room which Id also like to control using the same remote.
The living room setup has no line of sight to the theater room, which is about 20ft away.
Although the Harmony does list all the devices I run in my theater, the remote seems unable to turn any of the theater devices on.

When I'm IN the theater however, the remote CAN turn on and operate the living room components, leading me to suggest that distance isn't an issue.

Does the hub need to be near the devices its turning on, or is there something Im missing here?

Thanks in advance.
post #2809 of 2816 Old 05-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
Hi guys.

Hoping you can all help me with an issue Im having.

I bought my Logi Harmony Ultimate bundle and have successfully set up one entertainment center in my home - The living room. This is where I have the hub and IR blasters setup.
That part of it is working great.

However, I have a separate and dedicated home theater room which Id also like to control using the same remote.
The living room setup has no line of sight to the theater room, which is about 20ft away.
Although the Harmony does list all the devices I run in my theater, the remote seems unable to turn any of the theater devices on.

When I'm IN the theater however, the remote CAN turn on and operate the living room components, leading me to suggest that distance isn't an issue.

Does the hub need to be near the devices its turning on, or is there something Im missing here?

Thanks in advance.
The hub has to have Line Of Sight to the Devices to be able to control them. Also you can only run one Activity at a Time,so you would not be able to have both setups run at the same time, when you start a new Activity, the device in the other activity not needed in the new activity would turn off. To do what you wnat, the Home Theater device would have to be controlled by the Remote only through the hub Assignments. You would be better off getting a second remote and Hub for the Theater room.
post #2810 of 2816 Old 05-24-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply.
I'll have to look into hub assignments and see if I can use that as an option.

It's a major shame though

Spending another $400 on a remote is not something I can justify at this stage... Plus, adding another remote kinda contradicts the whole point of buying the harmony in the first place!
post #2811 of 2816 Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
post #2812 of 2816 Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

good news for sure

My meager set up
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic DMB-BDT360
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
post #2813 of 2816 Old 05-26-2015, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 78
This is interesting. I guess they are giving up on the Extender that is now about 7 months overdue.
post #2814 of 2816 Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hope it'll work with a Touch/Hub.
post #2815 of 2816 Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
thanks - great news (I have the smart control)
With the update, which home items (lights, thermostat, X10?, Z-wave?, Nest?) can it control without need of an IR blaster or line of sight?

Also wonder - with the upgrade can you use an Ultimate remote with the Smart Control hub?

Last edited by cgott42; 05-26-2015 at 01:34 PM.
post #2816 of 2816 Unread Today, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This has probably been asked but i've been unable to find an answer. Considering the new harmony remotes are IP enabled, is there any direct IP support for devices other than things like Nest and Sonos? I have a pioneer sc-65 that is completely controllable via IP over a network (in fact that's how i control it now with an RTI T2x), and it works amazingly well, it's lightyears better than IR control! Is this possible to do with harmony now?

I would love to get away from RTI, they are a terrible company and i've had to jump through endless hoops to acquire the software/drivers/hardware needed to manage it all myself and not pay an installer hundreds/thousands in labor for what i'm more than capable of doing myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page