Alternative to Harmony Remotes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to the Logitech Harmony remotes?? I've gone through two of them. I like their ease of use but the buttons seem to wear fast and stop working. They don't seem to last more than a year or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Unbelievable. No one has an good alternative? Does Logitech have a monopoly on universal remotes?
post #3 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 PM

Liked: 26
Really URC is the only other option but they need to be programmed by a professional. However once they re they r 100x better than the harmonys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #4 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 AM

I have used Harmony 890Pros for several years now. Pain in the butt to get completely programmed and updated when my system changes but I love their functionality. I think Harmony makes the best universal/programmable dedicated remotes. Despite all that, the 890Pros are no longer made and buttons wear out so keeping them going means parts off ebay and repair costs. Plus I have been wanting to try out a touchscreen based remote. All that to say I have been experimenting with Roomie Remote on my ipad. It looks to be functionally similar to Harmony as far as being activity based. I am optimistic I can transition to it. It looks to be easier to program than the 890Pro and once programmed easier to adjust for system changes. You might look at that
post #5 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 12
I also second URC remotes, have used mx-350, mx-810 and mx-880 in the last 8 years or so. Though as previous poster said they are a professional vendor only, so they only support theater builders directly.

Though you can get their remotes through http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/... They will also provide the programming software for a DIYer. Or you can find a local URC vendor, sometimes they will sell and provide the software (sometimes they require you to use their "professional programming services").

Another option is to go the ebay route, but then the remote won't have warranty (I bought the mx-880 the other week for $200). You then have to find the software via torrent (search for complete control program)
vivatech likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I think JP1 remotes are an excellent alternative to Harmony. They take a bit more skill to program, but they are very powerful, inexpensive and reliable. I used JP1 remotes for many years, tried Harmony for a year or so, then went back to JP1 due mainly to JP1's superior programmability and reliability. The Xsight Touch, Color and Plus are also JP1 compatible, although the software is still in the alpha stage. It's coming along nicely though. The Xsight models are excellent remotes, even without JP1.

Since JP1 has been around much longer than Harmony, the software is very sophisticated and feature rich now, far more powerful than Harmony software. And since you can actually talk directly to the developers or even become one yourself, any feature you want can likely get added. There's lots of info about JP1 remotes in my wiki link below.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Universal Remote Control Mx 350 Osiris Ir Rf Remote Control 8056 , Universal Remote Mx 810i 24 Device Color Wizard Pc Programmable Remote Narrow Band 433 Mhz , Urc Mx 880 48 Device Ir Rf Remote With Color Lcd
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page