receiver in closet 50ft away, projector, directv, boxee (or mac mini) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Trying to figure out which remote. I saw the new logitech Harmony ultimate launched.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/16/logitech-harmony-ultimate-smart-control/

I actually have a few months to buy, but right now I need to wire the house and figuring if I need to wire a separate cable for Infrared repeater? If so, what do I wire?

Main TV room has a epson projector. Cabinet is about 50ft away will house a directv box, mac mini running plex (can I drive the mini w/a remote control for plex?) I don't have it yet as the other rooms I was going to have samsung tv's running plex thus could navigate the menu. I guess I can have a roku box for this projection tv?

Either way, what remote would you recommend? I really need the kids to be able to operate it.

Eventually I want this room to be more automated and would upgrade in 1-2 years something that could control the lights, shades, as well.

But for now, turning on the projector, reciever and switching inputs on the receiver and controlling the sources (directv and plex via roku etc) and a blu ray player)

If I wire w/ IR repeaters, and have a bunch of other directv boxes do I just mask off with IR on each box w/ electrical tape so the light doesn't bounce around and control the other boxes?

the RF extenders seems cool http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-RF-Wireless-Extender/dp/B000ILIHTC/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
IR cables are typically 3.5mm mono (two wires, signal and ground). CAT5 cable will work for IR. It comes with four pairs of wires. You only need a pair per discrete IR connection. You can add 3.5mm female connectors to each end. I've actually terminated my CAT5e cables with proper Ethernet jacks into wall plates so they can be used for networking. Then I took an Ethernet patch cable and cut it in two. I then attached the 3.5mm female connectors to matching pairs (blue/blue stripe; green/green strip;...) on each end. Now I have homemade IR to Ethernet cables.

Basically running as much CAT5e or CAT6 as possible is never a bad idea.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

IR cables are typically 3.5mm mono (two wires, signal and ground). CAT5 cable will work for IR. It comes with four pairs of wires. You only need a pair per discrete IR connection. You can add 3.5mm female connectors to each end. I've actually terminated my CAT5e cables with proper Ethernet jacks into wall plates so they can be used for networking. Then I took an Ethernet patch cable and cut it in two. I then attached the 3.5mm female connectors to matching pairs (blue/blue stripe; green/green strip;...) on each end. Now I have homemade IR to Ethernet cables.

Basically running as much CAT5e or CAT6 as possible is never a bad idea.

Thanks! but what do you plug the 3.5mm female connector to on each end?
post #4 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Thanks! but what do you plug the 3.5mm female connector to on each end?

An IR emitter and IR receiver. With a RF remote your RF to IR base station has 3.5mm female plugs. One the base side you would use a 3.5mm male/male plug to connect to the CAT5's 3.5mm female socket. On the emitter side you would use a 3.5mm male to IR flasher. It all depends on if you want the base station in the closet or out at your other components.

Not that I'm suggesting this product, but it shows the 3.5mm inputs and jacks involved with a typical setup.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

the RF extenders seems cool http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-RF-Wireless-Extender/dp/B000ILIHTC/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

thanks!!

That RF extender is ONLY for the discontinued Harmony 890, 1000, and 1100 remotes.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
We just did something very similar. I used this and it works. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8008&seq=1&format=2

Also ran 3 of the non IR wall plates to other parts of the house and no issues with the 100' CAT6 STP we ran to each. Didn't have to power them either which is nice.

I got the Harmony Link which as the weeks go by has been bad to worse. The idea was the IR on the TV would turn on from the Link in the closet. But I could never get this working right as the Link has a lot of issues. It would randomly turn on the LG we originally had. And now the 70" Vizio we got won't turn on with the app. But if I push the on/off button inside the Harmony app the TV will work right. Harmony was useless the multiple times I asked about this problem.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 11
i prefer RF remotes rather than an IR distribution system personally

i have 2 Logitch 890 remotes in my house and my wife loves them
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
50' is a long way and a RF processor with an attached antenna might not work. It would be a hit and miss.

You might want to look at RTI or URC with separate antennas from the RF processor.
Like the URC MRF-350 or the RTI XP6 that you can place the antenna in the main room and have it connected via cat5e to the processor in the eq closet.

URC has also partnered with Lutron to offer lighting control easily.

Both of these remotes will have to be programmed by an installer.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Roku Streaming Player , Logitech Harmony 890 Advanced Universal Remote Control , Logitech Harmony 1000 Advanced Universal Remote Silver , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page