MX-450 w/ Lutron Dimmers (Help or Suggestions) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finishing my basement and trying to figure out how to "somewhat" automate my entertainment area with the MX-450 remote and Lutron Dimmers. I have searched all over online to try to come up with a "cost effective" way to control the lighting but not break the budget. I am trying to have different lighting settings for my main room using Macros from the remote.

I bought a Lutron MRF2-600MTHW-WH Maestro Wireless 600-Watt Multi-Location Dimmer and am trying to program the 450 to use it via RF. I programmed the MX-450 to add a Lutron Lighting Device. Then I went into advanced settings and set to:

1) Advanced Setup
2) RF Setup
3) Each Device Differs
4) Selected the Lutron LIght Device
5) Turned on the RF Signal
6) Programmed it to RF ID #1

Then I held down the Lutron DImmer until all the lights were flashing... I pressed the "ON" button under the Light but the Lutron lights all just kept flashing. I tried again holding the dimmer down for 8 seconds and this time I saw that only one or two of the lights were flashing... I tried again to hit the "On" on the remote under the light but nothing happened. I am not sure which is programming mode but I tried this over and over.

Am I missing something? Can't this remote work with any Lutron RF dimmer?

Is there a cost effective dimmer that others would suggest? I have about 9 total switches in the room...

Any help or suggestions on dimmers or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What you're missing is the mx-450 can only control URC Lighting by Lutron, not every lutron dimmer, sorry.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM

your best bet is home depot they seem to have the best deals and lutron is the only company that makes RC dimmers. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Maestro-IR-600-Watt-Single-Pole-Digital-Dimmer-White-MIR-600THW-WH/100399015#.UYhBM6XNrww
post #4 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

What you're missing is the mx-450 can only control URC Lighting by Lutron, not every lutron dimmer, sorry.

Is there a different remote out by URC that would work with any Lutron or is it all URC remotes. If I bought all URC Lutron dimmers it would be about $700 verse the $280 w the Lutron RFs from Amazon. I could pay $300 or $400 for a newer model and still save money.

I could do the IR lutrons but I don't think I could do scenes. It would be all or none.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 AM

Liked: 16
There is no different URC remote that will work with Lutron native RF. You will need the URC RF Lutron dimmers or go with the IR. I have the IR versions and I can raise, lower, on, off and favorite level which is similar to a scene. The crux would be if you have several dimmers they all use the same IR control set so you will not have individual control of each dimmer.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I'm confused. Isn't the Lutron RadioRA IR interface designed exactly for the purpose of interfacing ANY universal IR remote to a Lutron RF system?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM

Liked: 16
Yes mdavej you are correct and I forgot about that device. Much easier solution to use his existing dimmers and give him the scene functionality. Still at that price he may be able to sell the ones he has and get the URC ones for less out of pocket.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Universal Remote Control Mx 450 Custom Programmable Remote Control With On Screen Macro Editing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page