Help Me Choose A Harmony.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
...I'm sure this has probably been done to death but bear with me if you would. I have a rather simple setup and I'm looking for a Harmony to reduce clutter.

My system needs are as follows:
55' VT60 panel
Fios DVR box (connected to TV by HDMI)
Panasonic Bluray player (connected to TV by HDMI)
ZVOX 555 pedestal speaker (placed under the Fios box and bluray player...connected with optical cable)

The VT60 does not have a setting that allows one to turn off the built-in speakers (I know, weird, right? ... especially because the VT50 had this option) so I'm looking for a remote that will just control the ZVOX for volume but allow me full access to all the functions that the Fios remote currently allows (DVR, fast forward/rewind, favorite channels, DVR manager, etc).

COuld you point me in the right direction. There are a dizzying array of Harmony remotes available and it's all so very confusing. From a cursory review of their available models the 650 looks like it would do the job. Is this right or should I be aiming higher or lower?

I feel strongly both ways!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Nearly any universal remote can meet your very basic requirements (volume punch thru and full Fios control). The $8 RCA RCRP05BR or $20 URC WR7 are good examples.

If you insist on harmony, the 650 would be a good choice. The 200/300 can only do one activity macro, so you couldn't easily watch blu-ray AND watch Fios with it. The 600 is simply a 650 with a greyscale LCD instead of color, hence a bit less expensive. The 700 is a 650 with a rechargeable battery and a couple more devices. The One, 900, 1100, Touch and Ultimate add more features and functions you have not mentioned any need for. All harmonys share the same device database and basic functionality.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

...I'm sure this has probably been done to death but bear with me if you would. I have a rather simple setup and I'm looking for a Harmony to reduce clutter....

COuld you point me in the right direction. There are a dizzying array of Harmony remotes available and it's all so very confusing. From a cursory review of their available models the 650 looks like it would do the job. Is this right or should I be aiming higher or lower?

As mdavej pointed out, it seems any basic universal remote may serve your needs. The models mdavej recommended are probably the best buys as well.

However, the Harmony remotes offer the "Activities" features which many people like for their ease of use. If you want "one button push" to watch TV or Watch DVD, then you may prefer the Harmony remotes. Based on the info given, I would recommend the 600, the lower priced model. It does have the greyscale screen, but still very useable.

What I recommend is trying out a friend's Harmony, if possible. I started out years ago with the 659 (a more basic model), and soon found myself "wanting" the features offered on the higher priced models.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Liked: 10
As an owner of 5 Harmony Remotes, I would not recommend anything above the 600 - I have had an 880, 2x 890, and 2x 900. All 5 died within 1-2 years. Harmony was gracious (sometimes) and replaced for free, other times only gave me 50% off a replacement.

I have no idea why, but the screens always die - even after the charging issues were fixed with the 900 series.

Awesome remotes for the first year..then you are out 200+ bucks
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
I have two 1100's and the XBox model. Love them all. I got the 1100s as refurbs from Logitech, so I was out less than 200 for each. Work great.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Zvox 555 Low Profile Single Cabinet Surround Sound System With Optical And Coaxial Digital Inputs , Rca Rcrp05br 5 Device Cable Replacement Universal Remote Black , Universal Remote Control Urc Wr7 7 Device Remote Control With 4 Favorite Channel Buttons , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver , New Harmony 700 Universal Remote Tv Home Video , Harmony 900 Remote , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Logitech Harmony Touch Universal Remote With Color Touch Screen Black 915 000198 , Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page