Help on programming a URC RF20 MasterControl??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kind of pulling my hair out over this, so I hope someone can help. We have a simple set up in one of our rooms. A Plasma TV connected to a Cox Cable/DVR box, and a Blue Ray Player. Our old remote was a URC that a A/V installer set up for us. It was an RF type, so we have our components in a cabinet. It worked well for several year, but lately not so much. I just purchased a URC RF20 remote, which also has RF capability, along with a new RF Blaster.

I've been able to input the correct identifier numbers for the three components into the remote, but I'm have a difficult time beyond that. I've been able to set up a couple of macros for turning on and off the TV and Cable box, but they don't always work. The old remote macro turned on the TV, switched to an HDMI input, and turned on the cable box.

I've tried to use the "Learn" mode on the RF20 to import the old macro but that doesn't seem to work. I've also tried the "Learn" mode using the Cox remote with the RF20, and that doesn't seem to work too well either.

I would just like to be able to turn on and off the TV with the new remote (with the HDMI input), and also have the Cable Box always on. Now it turns off when the TV turns off.

And turn on the TV and DVD player.

I've been trying different methods suggested in the Owner's Manual, but not have much luck.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The reason the old remote worked the way you wanted is because it was professionally programmed with certain macro commends that can only be achieved by a programmer or installer.

The new remote along with Harmony is incapable of doing this with certain models of components as they are not always in their databases.
I suggest calling the a/v installer to replace your old remote and for you to return the new remote you just got.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 429
While you can't learn entire macros, you should be able to learn the individual commands, then build your own macros on the RF20. The trick is finding them on your old remote. I can't help you with that unfortunately.

Failing that, a cheap alternative to the pro install mentioned earlier is JP1. Your Cox remote may be JP1 compatible, hence, with the addition of a cheap JP1.3 cable, you could program it to do everything you old remote did. You can even make it RF with the addition of a cheap Next Generation RF system. The only drawbacks are that it lacks an LCD and will be a bit more complicated to learn the programming software and track down all the codes and commands.

If your Cox is a JP1 remote, then you can at least use it to teach your RF20 all the necessary commands because, even without a JP1 cable, a JP1 remote can typically send any command for any device using individual command codes. If you want to pursue that option, post the model of your Cox remote or a link to a picture of it, and we can find all the codes you'll need for teaching your RF20.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcInOC View Post

Kind of pulling my hair out over this, so I hope someone can help. We have a simple set up in one of our rooms. A Plasma TV connected to a Cox Cable/DVR box, and a Blue Ray Player. Our old remote was a URC that a A/V installer set up for us. It was an RF type, so we have our components in a cabinet. It worked well for several year, but lately not so much. I just purchased a URC RF20 remote, which also has RF capability, along with a new RF Blaster.

I've been able to input the correct identifier numbers for the three components into the remote, but I'm have a difficult time beyond that. I've been able to set up a couple of macros for turning on and off the TV and Cable box, but they don't always work. The old remote macro turned on the TV, switched to an HDMI input, and turned on the cable box.

I've tried to use the "Learn" mode on the RF20 to import the old macro but that doesn't seem to work. I've also tried the "Learn" mode using the Cox remote with the RF20, and that doesn't seem to work too well either.

I would just like to be able to turn on and off the TV with the new remote (with the HDMI input), and also have the Cable Box always on. Now it turns off when the TV turns off.

That sounds like you've included the Power command for the cable box in the macro which you don't want if you want the cable box to always remain ON. So, for example, your Power On Macro would look something like this: TV > ON > Pause > Pause > HDMI 1 > Main > Cable Box

So, all this Macro is doing is turning your TV on, going to the input that your cable box is plugged into and putting the remote in Cable Box mode. Note: Pause is 0.5 seconds so put in as many as you need to give the TV time to turn on and accept the command to go to the proper HDMI input. Actually, assuming your Cable Box is your main source, you can leave out the HDMI input command since it will more than likely already be on the right input when you turned the TV off before you went to bed the night before. This is what I do and it works out well. Even if you watched a DVD at some point during the night, just make sure when you're done you execute the Cable Box Macro (we'll get to that one next) and your TV will always be on the right input for Cable Box viewing the next time you turn it on.

My Power On/Off macro looks like this: Audio > ON > Main > TV > ON > Main > DVR#1 (Note: I use a AVR, hence my first steps are Audio > ON)

Now, your device macros are different than your Power On/Off macro in that they'll require you to hold the device button down to execute them, as opposed to the Power On/Off macro that only requires a quick press to execute. The reason for this is that you want to still be able to access a device without executing it's macro, hence, these device macros will begin with the Pause command (2 or 3) meaning you will hold down the device button for a second or two to execute it.

Okay, so your DVD macro might look like this: Pause > Pause > TV > Pause > Pause > HDMI 2 > Main > DVD > Power (The TV should now be on the right input and the remote is in DVD mode). (Note: I didn't include the ON command for your TV because I'm assuming your system was already up and running when you decided to watch a DVD).

And your Cable Box macro: Pause > Pause > TV > Pause > HDMI 1 > Main > Cable Box (Note: don't include a Power command because you want the Cable Box to always remain on).

One last thing worth mentioning is that the macros I've suggested assume you've input a code into the RF20 for your TV that includes a command to choose the various inputs of your TV. And if necessary, learn individual commands that the pre-set codes might be missing.

This may all seem a bit daunting if you've never done it before but take your time, read the manual and you'll find out just how capable the RF20 is....good luck.

Vin
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Vin, thank you very much! Your recommendations made a lot of sense and I have been able to figure out most of the macro issues. I was ready to send the RF20 back, but now it seems to be working well. I appreciate you help.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 10:11 PM

I need help, I have two cox cable boxes by cisco one is being used for the receiver and the other is just going to tv in master bed. However, I have two different remotes rf20 with base for master bed and harmony 900 for the home theater. The issue is that the manufacture code for the rf20 I allowing the emitter to change channels on both boxes. I've the boxes on different shelves now and it seems as though the rf is not responding. How can I remedy situation w/o using one remote for both systems?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc Mastercontrol Rf20 Universal Learning Remote W Rf Capability , Harmony 900 Remote