Looking for recommendations on tablet remotes - Touchsquid good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.simpleremotecontrol.com/universalremotecontrol.htm

My latest Harmony 900 has died... the white screen comes all the time, battery out only solves for 5 minutes at best. This is my 5th Harmony in 6 years with this issue and I am through with them.

Looking for alternatives and a friend pointed me to the link above - seems like a viable option - wanted to get the experts here to weigh in on tablet approach to remote control replacement.

My setup:
-Currently not utilizing my RF capabilities of 900, everything is IR controlled aside from game consoles like PS3, WiiU which I don't have adapters for
-Want very simple remote for wife and kids... especially the wife
-I like hi-tech solutions even when cheap could suffice (i.e., using a 900 when a 600 would have been sufficient)
-I really miss Z wave features from the 890 series to control my lights frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM

Liked: 11
I'm using Touchsquid Pro right now and it's been fairly easy to setup. I did have one question and their tech support answered my question the same day. There's a new version coming out today or tomorrow (4.01) which will add many new features. After four months of struggling to get Peel Smart Remote tech support to add two of my devices I gave up. I downloaded the demo version of Touchsquid to see if my devices were supported and they were so I went ahead and bought the full version. I wish I had just bought the full version right away though as most of the features are disabled in the demo version. All I ever got from Peel was an automated response and they never addressed my issue. Toughsquid is a small business in North Vancouver, Canada and is doing a good job with customer support as you can see by reading the reviews on Google Play. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with a built in IR blaster that works very well. I have it setup to runs systems in two rooms and it includes such devices as a nine year old Samsung SIR-T451 HD tuner and a Magnavox H2160MW9 DVR which are the two devices that Peel doesn't support. Since Touchsquid offers a 30 day money back guarantee I say give it a try.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Been using TS Pro for a few months now (including trial version). I came from a sony lcd remote (rm-av3100 and other precursors). I like the TS app, using it on a samsung tab2 7. The app has some development "teething" but is moving along, at least my view. It can do most things and if not, as the previous poster indicated, support is pretty good at getting at issues.

Things that you should be aware of and are more applicable to touch screens in general, is people find the loss of "common" hard button functions hard to adapt to. Related to tablet based solutions as opposed to dedicated remotes, battery life may be an issue. I have mine "AC tethered" most of the time which can be a good feature or bad. Cord is short so it can't be easily moved / passed around the room.... but then you always know where to find it which in my case, is the favorite listening / watching place in the home theater / family room.

Personally, for the $200 that you can get the samsung tab2 and the app for, it is probably one of the best remotes out there for andriod based units. I use the TS app for control of 8 devices from lighting (x10), to receivers, players, TV, and media player (old xbox). Used in conjunction with the built in Peel for programming, I think it is a good "1,2" combination.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 900 Remote , Logitech Harmony 890 Advanced Universal Remote Control , Sony Rm Av3100 18 Device Fully Editable Touch Screen Universal Remote Control
Gear in this thread - Av3100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page