MULTI-ZONE Receivers - especially the Pioneer SC-68 Pioneer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-02-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
Has anyone used the harmony Ultimate Remote to control the SC-68? The SC-68 has 4 zones (Two digital/HDMI zones, and two Component/RCA-speaker/Analog zones)? Any ideas about how to go about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked: 10
Zone 1 will play all sources/inputs, Zone 2/3 will play all analog and internal sources, Zone 4 will only play first 6 HDMI inputs (all but 6&7)

In order for the Zones 2/3 to play DVD audio you will need to connect the DVD analog audio to the SC-69...this will be the same for any HDMI/Digital input

So if you connect a sat receiver up with component video and a digital audio, you will also need to connect the analog audio of it to pass to zones 2/3, and you will net see it in zone 4.

again, zone 4 is a HDMI output only so no other sources will play there except the first 6 HDMI inputs..1-5 + BD. 6&7 wont pass through to zone 4

Not sure how you program a harmony remote for this, may take some tricky programming to do this..don't know harmony that well.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Gloskowitz, for taking the time to respond but this is not the information that I need.

I am trying to program the Logitech Harmony Ultimate to use my SC-68. During the activity programming it asks for the device and successfully recognizes the SC-68 from its database. It doesn't, however, ask me which zone this activity should use.

When I try the activity it turns on the SC-68 but doesn't switch to the proper zone.

I believe there must be a specific name given to the SC-68 for each zone. I just can't find that. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 06-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have never tried this on a Harmony Ultimate, or from the MyHarmony.com website but on previous models using the 7.x software you just enter your receiver again as a new device but add "(Zone 2)" at the end, i.e. Pioneer SC-68 (Zone 2).

If that works you are going to have a hell of a time programming activities using that website. I would suggest using the iPhone app to control the other zones instead. I use my iPod Touch to control zone 2 on my Yamaha and it is much easier and convenient than messing with the Harmony remote.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry, I don't care for Harmony remotes as they seem to limited as to what they can do.

I have a client that has an older harmony and it is controlling 3 zones but it wasn't labeled as main zone, zone 2, zone 3. Its more like room 1, tv 2 and tv3.

its kind of a kludge setup and doesn't really work well for him. We pulled it from his system and installed a RTI system and set it up properly.

Im sure there is a way to do it like you want as mentioned above, just might have to trick it into what your wanting it to do.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglife1 View Post

Hi,
Has anyone used the harmony Ultimate Remote to control the SC-68? The SC-68 has 4 zones (Two digital/HDMI zones, and two Component/RCA-speaker/Analog zones)? Any ideas about how to go about this?

What are the "Activities" you want to set up? By this I mean, what sound do you want coming out of each zone? This will determine how to set up the Harmony Activities.

You will have to create a separate Activity for each of the zones, depending upon the equipment and connections, you will have to "customize" the Activities, and "Add more options", which means entering the commands into the Activity to select the desired zone for each one.

In short, this can be done, but you need to define what you want each zone to do (i.e. source, sound mode, etc.). Then we need to figure out what original remote commands it takes to accomplish that set up. Then we enter those commands into their respective Activity.

Whew!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #7 of 8 Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I tried setting up separate devices for each zone with a label like "SC-68 (Zone 4)." If I just entered SC-68 it recognized the device but when adding the additional zone it treated it like a new device it has to learn. It then made me teach the remote by going through a series of prompts. Even then there was no command for switching zones. I'd like to believe there was a label combination that it would recognize without having to teach the remote.

I began by creating different activities for each room which represents a zone. I successfully created an activity for "Kitchen Cable" which turned on the tv, turned on the receiver and selected the input of cable. It just didn't give me the option for defining zone 4.

There are several nice features on the Harmony that I like. The fact that it does IR, Bluetooth and wifi is the primary plus. The favorite channels is also very nice with an icon for each station much like iOS. The ability to program once and have that update all the other remotes is also huge. If I can get it to work to switch the zone I'd be very happy with it so far.

I will take a look at RTI.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglife1 View Post

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I tried setting up separate devices for each zone with a label like "SC-68 (Zone 4)." If I just entered SC-68 it recognized the device but when adding the additional zone it treated it like a new device it has to learn. It then made me teach the remote by going through a series of prompts. Even then there was no command for switching zones. I'd like to believe there was a label combination that it would recognize without having to teach the remote.

I began by creating different activities for each room which represents a zone. I successfully created an activity for "Kitchen Cable" which turned on the tv, turned on the receiver and selected the input of cable. It just didn't give me the option for defining zone 4.

There are several nice features on the Harmony that I like. The fact that it does IR, Bluetooth and wifi is the primary plus. The favorite channels is also very nice with an icon for each station much like iOS. The ability to program once and have that update all the other remotes is also huge. If I can get it to work to switch the zone I'd be very happy with it so far.

I will take a look at RTI.

When you "teach" the Harmony from your original remote, you need to press the appropriate "Zone" key on your remote first. The "Zone" keys set the remote into a different set of commands (actually different than the regular use). So, "volume" for "Zone 2" is not the same "Volume" command as when the receiver is in regular mode.Again, understand that when you press a "Zone" key (on the original) you are actually changing it to "another remote". As for "Zone 4", you may have to teach the Harmony that "command" to enter the set up.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 68 9 2 Channel Thx Ultra 2 Plus A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page