HDMI-matrix control with Harmony - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone used the Harmony ultimate to control an HDMI=matrix switcher? If so, any warnings or tips on this? What brand of switchers did you use?

I'm thinking of using two 4x2 HDMI switchers to select input from up to 8 sources, but am concerned that an IR signal sent to one will also be picked up by the other one. The 4x2 cost $350 each, but the 8x2 cost over $2000. Any tips, warnings, or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Not sure what switches you are looking at but Monoprice regularly have 4X2 for less than $100.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Budwich,
Thanks for the post... Yes, I've read the reviews on the Monoprice switches, for better and worse.

The question is this: If I have two Monoprice HDMI 2x4 switches, are their IR controls independently addressable?
post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglife1 View Post

Budwich,
Thanks for the post... Yes, I've read the reviews on the Monoprice switches, for better and worse.

The question is this: If I have two Monoprice HDMI 2x4 switches, are their IR controls independently addressable?
I'm 99% certain they are not. Safest to get different brands.

But since you have an Ultimate, couldn't you simply control one by IR and the other by RF?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you want to pay $350, go head but only buy one. Then purchase the monoprice too, so they won't interfer with each other, which two identical switches most certainly will.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Edmund,
I think your solution makes a lot of sense, and where I was moving in my head.
Thanks.

The next question is if I can use two PS3s, two ATT-cable boxes, and two Apple TVs, and address each of them separately?
The reason for this setup is that there are two users in the house who often want to access ATT-cable, PS3, or Apple TV at the same time but want to watch different content on those devices - from different locations.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 03:25 PM

Liked: 10
Looking for an answer also. I am going to be using a Monoprice 4x4 matrix switch, 2 Verizon STB, Blue Ray/surround sound. I will have 4 different TV locations in the house. I was thinking I would need a RF blaster for each location. So each device would end up having an 4 emitters on it. Was wondering if I use the same blaster (leaning towards Sewell BlastIR) would they interfere with each other?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

You might take a look at the Octava 4x8 matrix, HDMI over Cat6 with IR repeater for your set up. I have one and it works flawlessly over long distances, and they offer great support.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Liked: 10
I am also curious how this will work. Planning on building a house and plan to have three possibly four TVs with only one or two devices. The new harmony smart control looks like a good option with its RF and smart phone options and at a cheaper price. Would it be possible to operate four separate "areas" of the house with these harmony remotes and matrix switches. If so that would be awesome! And cost effective compared to buying a automation system... Or am I missing something?

So when TV 1 turns on and the matrix switch tells cable box 1 to go to TV 1. How does the remotes/switch know to send cable box 2 to the next TV that asks for a cable box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page