Looking for replacement for Marantz RC2000mk II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those of you who don't know - this is what my current remote looks like:

It is about 15 years old and only reason I want to replace it is because some buttons are starting to fail.

This, if you ask me, is THE BEST REMOTE EVER. Period. No contest. Why? Because it's got buttons. Buttons galore!!! I can do 90% of what I need to do without even looking.

Of major importance are 8 narrow buttons on the sides of LCD display (well there are 10 but the bottom pair is not programmable - it is used to navigate between the pages) - I custom-label and program them for device-specific buttons like R, G, B, Y for Blu-Ray player for instance and use them a lot (for each device I have 4 pages of buttons, 8 buttons on each page for the total of 32 per device). 4 larger buttons above (2 on each side of the screen) can be used to store macro command but I don't use them much.

10 buttons under LCD (5 in each row) are for device selection, and different function can be programmed if button is pressed twice fast. I use this (double press) to switch between the sources on my receiver.

Other button that is important to me is Mute, the reason I mention that is because, surprisingly enough, a lot of modern remotes don't have it anymore.

My home theater includes Sony 46" LCD TV, Denon 3803 receiver (that I don't intend to upgrade), Blu-Ray player, DVD player with HDMI (for PAL DVD-s), LaserDisc player and VCR. HDMI devices are connected to TV via HDMI directly (for video) because Denon 3803 doesn't have HDMI and audio from HDMI devices is routed via Denon (Coax or optical). VCR and LaserDisc are routed via Denon receiver for audio and video. So switching between the source is often 2 step process (first select audio source on Denon and then video source on TV, probably can be replaced with 1-button macro but it is simple enough that I don't care) and I am OK with it - having to spend $1300 for modern receiver with HDMI is not worth the benefit.

What can I replace this remote with? It seems that only option would be URC MX range but it is really confusing because a lot of remotes from this company are sold by unauthorized dealers and/or require software that one cannot get unless one is a dealer. Plus a lot of URC remotes I see for sale are discontinued old models but one often cannot tell from the listing.

I don't mind paying something under $300, would prefer remote for which software is either not required or available for the end user. I am not sure having dealer to program it is a viable option - each time I want to change something I would have to ask dealer to do this and pay?

Any ideas about what remote I should get? Logitech used to have similar remotes with a lot of buttons but recently they seem to move in touch-screen direction that I personally not too crazy about (and these latest remotes have mediocre review ratings too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I may have 2 of those in a box up in the attic. PM me some time today if you are interested. If I don't hear from you I wont bother looking for them.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When I replaced my Mk II, I got a Logitech Harmony One. Highly recommended. (Logitech is trying to get out of the remote business, so there is some risk buying one right now, but they are still great remotes.) You're going to love how much lighter it is!

Mike
post #4 of 7 Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

When I replaced my Mk II, I got a Logitech Harmony One. Highly recommended. (Logitech is trying to get out of the remote business, so there is some risk buying one right now, but they are still great remotes.) You're going to love how much lighter it is!

Mike

It seems it is no longer being made.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I love buttons too, and I'm currently looking at getting the URC R40 remote. They have a thread already on it, but it looks like a close compromise to the Marantz.

http://www.universalremote.com/products/buy-now/retail/urc-r40.php

I don't own this remote yet, so I can't comment on how good it is, but I like the button layout and format, plus it uses an OLED screen which is a great plus.

A couple of buttons that I use a lot but are missing are the Swap button and DVR list button. Although you could program that to existing buttons I would lose functionality. I like to swap tuners in my cable box so I don't lose my ff and rew ability rather than hit previous channel button. I haven't seen a remote yet with a DVR button yet aside from cable company remotes.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

URC R40 looks very good, just need to figure out how to get a version that doesn't have bug when learned codes are deleted when new code is stored.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon has the R40 for less then $100 right now. I've read that 1.19 is the firmware version that fixes the learned code deletion issue. I just ordered 3 so we'll see!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon Avr 3803

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page