IR Repeater for TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
akevit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my setup works fairly well, however my sound bar is right below the TV and my LG's IR receiver is located at the bottom left of the TV, so more often than not the TV doesn't receive the IR signal unless you point it at the right spot. Is there some simple device I can plug into the TV that would allow me to place an IR receiver at the top of the TV?

TV is an LG 60PA6500, here's a picture of the setup before I finished cleaning everything up. I see the TV has a "Remote Control In", can I just plug in a 3.5mm IR jack? Better yet, can I plug in a blaster+receiver in this port that could also act as an additional blaster to my cabinet?

Thank you

Would something simple like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Vision-IR-3001-Emitter-Confirmation/dp/B000Q3ECFK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=8060&seq=1&format=2
akevit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 AM
Newbie
 
Bryan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hard to say I would contact the sellers.
It really depends on how the emitter and your IR input have been wired.

There are common themes but not one set standard.
The mono price seems like it was designed for their HDMI extender plate.
The Channel Vision has mixed reports but seems great for Tivo.

The first emitter looks like it has a mono jack the second stereo.
So I would check what the LG requires and contact the seller.
They may have tested these with LG.

The alternative would be to put a stand alone system in which will control multiple devices we do have a few kits:-

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-ir-distribution-extender-kit-%28fascia-rcvr%29/irbkitf.html

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/irbkit-mini-fascia-mount-kit--%28no-psu%29/IRBKITMFC.html

Thanks
Bryan
akevit likes this.
Bryan J is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by akevit View Post

So my setup works fairly well, however my sound bar is right below the TV and my LG's IR receiver is located at the bottom left of the TV, so more often than not the TV doesn't receive the IR signal unless you point it at the right spot. Is there some simple device I can plug into the TV that would allow me to place an IR receiver at the top of the TV?

TV is an LG 60PA6500, here's a picture of the setup before I finished cleaning everything up. I see the TV has a "Remote Control In", can I just plug in a 3.5mm IR jack? Better yet, can I plug in a blaster+receiver in this port that could also act as an additional blaster to my cabinet?

Thank you

Would something simple like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Vision-IR-3001-Emitter-Confirmation/dp/B000Q3ECFK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=8060&seq=1&format=2

From the LG website > "The REMOTE CONTROL IN port is not designed for use with an IR Blaster. This is in place for use with a wired remote control device. These are typically used if there is more than one device that might use the same control frequency."

With that said, a wireless remote extender like the NextGen would be a perfect solution. Many AVS members including myself are using this product successfully in similar situations. A quick search in this forum for Next Gen will turn up lots of threads.

You can also read reviews for the NextGen here > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C1Z0HA/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0KHQGQXQMZDH5H495DCT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846
akevit likes this.

Vin
Vin is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
akevit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great thanks Vin, I think I will use something like that. I didn't see that on the site but after talking with the service reps they could only tell me "maybe", but I'll assume it won't work. That device I don't think will work for my situation as I have a Harmony remote I'd like to use, but I would imagine that if I just use a simple RF Wireless IR blaster like this I can do what I want . I already have the Sewell IR blaster so I wonder if they make a component that can plug into that and blast the iR to another location.
akevit is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
akevit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan J View Post

Hard to say I would contact the sellers.
It really depends on how the emitter and your IR input have been wired.

There are common themes but not one set standard.
The mono price seems like it was designed for their HDMI extender plate.
The Channel Vision has mixed reports but seems great for Tivo.

The first emitter looks like it has a mono jack the second stereo.
So I would check what the LG requires and contact the seller.
They may have tested these with LG.

The alternative would be to put a stand alone system in which will control multiple devices we do have a few kits:-

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-ir-distribution-extender-kit-%28fascia-rcvr%29/irbkitf.html

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/irbkit-mini-fascia-mount-kit--%28no-psu%29/IRBKITMFC.html

Thanks
Bryan

This looks kind of like I want to do, though a bit more than I want to spend right now. I already have a Sewell IR Blaster that works, but the TV is too far away from it. I think I'm going to get the Prism IR Extender and place that behind the TV, I would really like a device though that has more minimalistic receiver I could put at the top of my TV. I could either put the receiver next to one of the IR blaster cables and receiver then place the emitter behind the TV, or just put the whole thing behind the TV and take the IR blaster out of the equation as far as the TV is concerned. Seems a bit overkill though.
akevit is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by akevit View Post

Great thanks Vin, I think I will use something like that. I didn't see that on the site but after talking with the service reps they could only tell me "maybe", but I'll assume it won't work. That device I don't think will work for my situation as I have a Harmony remote I'd like to use, but I would imagine that if I just use a simple RF Wireless IR blaster like this I can do what I want . I already have the Sewell IR blaster so I wonder if they make a component that can plug into that and blast the iR to another location.

Yes, there are a number of two piece wireless remote extender kits that should work in your application.

Regarding your Sewell IR blaster, they make longer IR emitter cables.......if that's what alluding to????

Also, here's a link to the LG site that explains what the Remote Control IN port is for > http://answers.lg.com/answers/7676/product/MD00001933/lg-electronics-50pa6500-questions-answers/questions.htm?expandquestion=1327840
akevit likes this.

Vin
Vin is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
akevit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for following me around and answering all my questions haha, I owe you a beer if you're ever in Seattle.

Thanks
akevit is offline  
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off