Question for owners of the X10 Powermid Extender - Where is the emitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to clarify where the emitter is on this device, is there just one from one face or are there multiple? What is the angle on the emitter? I'm wondering if I can set this device up on a shelf that is perpendicular to the location of my equipment and about 2 feet above, just wondering if this device would reach it or if the line of sight needs to be pretty much direct on.

Thanks

http://graphics.x10.com/images_promotions/pm5900_breakout.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
The receiver blasts IR in all directions and placement is pretty flexible based on my experience with these types of devices. For example, with the NextGen kit that I use (which we've already established won't work for you in your other thread) smile.gif I have the receiver placed on the front edge of the bottom glass shelf of my audio rack and without using any emitter cables I'm able to blast IR to two DirecTV HD DVRs and a Roku box located on the shelves above it. I can reliably control these components from my bedroom one floor above as if they were in the same room.

Although I'm usining the NextGen, these wireless remote extenders all basically do the same thing...as a matter of fact the Powermid was the first of these I've ever used and I had great success with it. The NextGen of course is unique in that it doesn't require line of sight between the remote and the transmitter since the NextGen transmitter resides within the remote itself.
akevit likes this.

Vin
post #3 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome thank you for the response, I am going to pull the trigger on that purchase. In the future I would like to upgrade to an RF remote, and I'm hoping I can just modify my setup by placing the RF to IR emitter that would come with the remote next to the Powermid receiver, not sure if there would be too much converting going on though.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you get the URC RF remote, it will communicate directly with powermid. Saving you expense of buying URC basestation, which are sold separately from the remotes.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of something like the Harmony Ultimate which includes its own RF to IR station, then just placing its IR emitter in line of site to the Powermid. I like the idea of the URC remotes though not sure if I like the style of the remotes so much; for that matter I'm not a huge fan of the Ultimate's layout either but I like the app support it has. I'm also considering just the basic version so that I can have the app support and a simple remote if needed.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akevit View Post

I was thinking of something like the Harmony Ultimate which includes its own RF to IR station, then just placing its IR emitter in line of site to the Powermid.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish here...????
Quote:

I like the idea of the URC remotes though not sure if I like the style of the remotes so much; for that matter I'm not a huge fan of the Ultimate's layout either but I like the app support it has. I'm also considering just the basic version so that I can have the app support and a simple remote if needed.

Regarding Edmund's suggestion, I'm using a URC RF20 (in another application in my home) in combination with a Radio Shack remote-extender-receiver which operates at 418MHz, same as the Powermid and virtually every other simple wireless IR extender kit. My NextGen happens to be the 433MHz version but they also make a 418MHz kit....not sure about the operating frequency of the Harmony Ultimate.

Vin
post #7 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish here...????
Regarding Edmund's suggestion, I'm using a URC RF20 (in another application in my home) in combination with a Radio Shack remote-extender-receiver which operates at 418MHz, same as the Powermid and virtually every other simple wireless IR extender kit. My NextGen happens to be the 433MHz version but they also make a 418MHz kit....not sure about the operating frequency of the Harmony Ultimate.

Ultimately I'd like a complete RF solution, so assuming the Powermid's work to receive IR and transmit to my equipment, then I would eventually purchase an RF Remote package like the Harmony Ultimate; the Ultimate comes with it's own RF to IR kit and I would simply point that at the Powermid receiver.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ultimately I'd like a complete RF solution, so assuming the Powermid's work to receive IR and transmit to my equipment, then I would eventually purchase an RF Remote package like the Harmony Ultimate; the Ultimate comes with it's own RF to IR kit and I would simply point that at the Powermid receiver.

In other words, Harmony RF remote > Harmony Ultimate base station > Powermid receiver, thus eliminating the Powermid transmitter? Unless I'm still not getting it, the Harmony Ultimate kit, i.e, remote and base/blaster would replace the Powermid receiver. Sorry, I'm not seeing the benefit of having them interact with each other, assuming that's even possible....the frequency that the Harmony Ultimate operates at would be a determining factor.

Edit: If my assumption that the Harmony Ultimate hub is also a blaster is incorrect, then what you're proposing makes sense....but again, I'm not sure if it's feasible.

Vin
post #9 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I think one of my main assumptions is that the powermid blaster will perform better than the RF to IR blaster, so I was going to just point the blaster that comes with the Harmony at the powermid to easily keep the setup I have working. I put together a little diagram with my limited Powerpoint skills, this should better explain what I'm looking to accomplish. I am now thinking I might possibly need a 2nd powermid emitter if I can't get it to work with just one.

I am far from capable of doing an accurate 3D representation, so here's an image I have that shows the layout of the room better.

You can't see the equipment from the 2nd picture but there is a nook to the right of the TV where my equipment is in an entertainment unit.

And actually now that I lay it out like this, it might just be easiest to get two sets of the powermid and just place a 2nd receiver somewhere else; it wouldn't be the same as RF but if the setup works then I can just add additional areas where the remote can be pointed at to trigger the chain.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

It looks like this http://sewelldirect.com/IR-Injector-Kit-For-HDMI.asp might be perfect for your application. Although the Tx end plugs into only one device, it appears the emitter that attaches to it functions like any other IR emitter, i.e., it can be positioned to send IR to multiple devices. And I don't see any reason why a multi-eye emitter wouldn't work, if needed, as long as it had a 3.5mm plug.

For $10 more they have a dual band version if any of your source components require it > http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Dual-Band-InjectIR-IR-over-HDMI-for-Remote-Controls_questions.asp
akevit likes this.

Vin
post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm interesting, I didn't know they came out with that. I know for the single-band version you have to do some hacking to get it to work, here's the response from their support team when I emailed them awhile ago:
Quote:
The main difference between the SW-29780 (IR Repeater kit) and the SW-29311 (BlastIR) is that the SW-29780 only supports single band IR frequencies, and the SW-29311 supports a dual band frequency. As far as the SW-29660 (InjectIR) it only supports single band frequencies. Therefore, combining it with the SW-29311 would not work. We did experiment combining it with a single band repeater such as the SW-29780 and we got it to work after messing with the cables a lot. We had to splice the cable and do a cross-over between the positive and the ground cables for it to work. We still don't know how reliable that would be since we have not had the chance to keep testing it in a different environment, so It would not be 100% guaranteed that it will work with different IR Blasters. But what is the end-goal you are trying to achieve? maybe I can find a simpler solution for you. Let me know.

I'm guessing that since the new one is dual-band it would work fine with the BlastIR (SW-29311) which is the one I have. I did end up buying the PowerMid though and that is working great, the receiver (the one that re-transmits the signal and receives it from the transmitter which receives the original IR signal) sits right below the left of the TV and the transmitter sits just above where the Sewell IR receiver is. I might look at incorporating the InjectIR if needed later, thanks for the link.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

It looks like this http://sewelldirect.com/IR-Injector-Kit-For-HDMI.asp might be perfect for your application. Although the Tx end plugs into only one device, it appears the emitter that attaches to it functions like any other IR emitter, i.e., it can be positioned to send IR to multiple devices. And I don't see any reason why a multi-eye emitter wouldn't work, if needed, as long as it had a 3.5mm plug.

For $10 more they have a dual band version if any of your source components require it > http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Dual-Band-InjectIR-IR-over-HDMI-for-Remote-Controls_questions.asp

FYI I spoke with Sewell support regarding the Dual Band InjectIR and they have said it's not directly compatible with the IR Blaster but can work in tandem with it:
Quote:
Question

Will this work with the SW-29311?

Answer

The two don't interact with each other in any significant fashion. The infrared that they produce won't interfere with eachother if you have them running in close proximity though.

Thank you,

Sewell Direct Customer Service
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Nextgen Geniusp Remote Extender Genius , Urc Mastercontrol Rf20 Universal Learning Remote W Rf Capability

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page